Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP and its represntation of female characters

Swoony

Being a female myself, i'm used to seeing media with a male dominated cast with very few developed female characters. I know there are tons of female shows with females who dominate the cast, but I was never into female oriented shows because they always focused on stereotypical female problems like romance and stupid drama surrounding romance or love and not much else. So all the shows i've been drawn too have just been male oreinted shows. Even the best shows I watched sometimes had the same problem with female characters, not giving them a prominent role in the show or going back to the stereotypical female traits such as romance or fashion.

Mlp is one of the only female targeted shows that has done female characters well. Which is kinda ironic because its a kids show and the writing for the female characters is often more complex than that of adult shows! The characters are not one dimensional and plots don't revolve around romance (besides rarity) or fashion (again, mostly rarity) but even then it isn't done in a stereotypical manner. This is what I love about this show. They don't have to fall into stereotypical gender norms in order to get viewers.

What do you guys think about mlp's representation of female characters compared to other shows? And why aren't more shows trying to make well roumded female characters like mlp?

Edited by Swoony
  • Brohoof 23

Something I've noticed is that when whatever gender the main character or ensemble predominantly is, the opposite gender tends to become a tool for those characters, romantic or otherwise. I think it's partially a consequence of character focus, a lot of series don't want to be too complex in this day and age so they dumb down any character that isn't the ones we're supposed to be focusing on. Thus females often get the shaft, overall, in male-centric shows. And there are a lot of those. Another thing may be the lack of female characters in those shows period. The girls depicted don't get their own ensemble of supporting female characters, which would help to flesh them out. You act way differently, more comfortably (usually) around your own gender than another. That's, again, an issue of keeping the show from spiraling out of control in terms of complexity and possibly budget problems.

All this aside, I don't think it's as bad as it was in the past.

Edited by Lil' Strapless
  • Brohoof 3

I like the show's representation of female characters, because they actually give them personalities and they don't revolve around any stereotypes just to get viewers to watch the show.

More shows should try to have well rounded female characters, either they don't want to or they don't try to.

• Brohoof 5

The characters are one dimensional and plots don't revolve around romance (besides rarity) or fashion (again, mostly rarity) but even then it isn't done in a stereotypical manner.

It isn't even close to being done in a stereotypical manner, I'd just like to point that out to anyone reading those parenthesis.

Bah. The fact that the cast is so female dominated doesn't bother me, to be honest; the characters are so well written, so wonderfully complex, and, as I said before, there's a pony for people of any background and personality :D

Shouldn't really bother anyone, to be honest. But I see your point, and I think that's one of the reasons this show is so engaging and successful :D

I also thought RD was a dude at first

Just sayin'

• Brohoof 6

I think they do an awesome job with character development, it's odd living in a society that frowns upon having a female idol that is a great role model with excellent morals, and redeeming qualities that are amazing. Our totalitarian patriarchy likes you to idolize the MAN, superMAN, batMan, spiderMAN, Wonder Woman is singing her praises so now she gets to premiere in a crap batman vs superman movie where batman is Ben Affleck and WW creeps in as a supporting charcter. Challege "gender rules". A good role model is a good role model. I'll like Ponies, and Hawkgirl, and Rogue, and Ms. Marvel, and Phoenix and Sailor Moon, and the powerpuff girls, it doesn;t make a real difference.

Edited by TrollRepellent
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

How do you guys feel about the representation of male characters in the show? Do you think they are under used or stereotypical?

Edited by Swoony
  • Brohoof 2

It's one of the reasons I like MLP:FiM, and why I think any deeper relationship other then friendship, would ruin everything. It worked for Cadence and Shining Armor, because they were put together in their debut episode, and in a way works well for them both as characters, and as a representation of the element of Love.

The main cast on the other hand, are better as they are. Adding that level of drama or plot to what's been done, would pretty much wreck so much.

It really is amazing what MLP was able to do with its characters, but the fact of the matter is you could write characters this way for either gender, for any show, if gender issues and tight executive meddling weren't hanging over the writers of many such shows like a dead goose. When writing a character, you should be thinking of the character as a person and not a label, and these writers have mastered that. Rarity stands as an example, where many say that she would have been cast negatively in any other series, the MLP staff broke stereotypes by giving her not only wants and desires of her own, but a genuine work ethic, a devotion to generosity, and true friends. In other words, avoiding making her a "fashion and boys" one-note stereotype by giving her these layers.

How do you guys feel about the representation of male characters in the show? Do you think they are under used or stereotypical?

I occasionally get the vibe that the show is, for some intents and purposes, sexist toward males with such portrayals as Spike's constant one-sided abuse this season, Shining Armor's non-presence, the continuing existence of Snips and Snails while Derpy gets shut down, and Big Macintosh being made to just shut up and work, even when he tries to speak coherently. I think it sends the wrong message, but to Hasbro, it's business. They believe that marginalizing the positive male characters will help them sell more toys to girls, when I believe it's actually running contrary to the show's message and withholding its full potential, and in fact Bonnie Zacherle's original intent to sell the franchise to both boys AND girls, as well as Hasbro's own previous attempts to sell the franchise to boys (see: Big Brother Ponies).

With that said, I'm not for contriving the show and giving it a big shakeup to suddenly make it gender-neutral. I just want to see these things toned down and male characters treated more fairly, as I believe these portrayals could be harmful to the impressionable children that make up the show's audience. I would start with sending Snips and Snails away, and giving Spike back the kind of supportive role he used to have, the one that got him etched in stained glass in Canterlot in "The Crystal Empire", instead of the one-note gag character role they've relegated him to this season.

Edited by WindChaserPegasus
  • Brohoof 1

That was the deliberate intention of Lauren Faust and she pulled it off with flying colors! I'm not female, so I can't really speak of how it represents them, but, I am a writer.

And when the audience becomes emotionally invested in a character, their plights, their desires, their faults, their dreams, their relationships, indeed their whole lives; you've written a good character.

The Mane Six are great characters because they are identifiable and relatable as people, regardless of gender.

• Brohoof 4

This post is gold, as is it's OP. Seriously, bless you. 

MLP is extremely refreshing in the way it treats its characters. Stereotypes have been shattered, and not just as far as female characters go. If you look closely, you see male stereotypes being broken too. There's Big Macintosh, the big strong man and oldest sibling who has no interest or desire to be the "Man of the House" barking out orders, and would rather just work quietly. There's Trenderhoof, who does all of the silly puppy love crush things typically associated with teenage girls. There's Spike, who, despite being badly characterized often, still comes through as the voice of reason fairly often, despite the fact that as a stand-in little brother character, he's supposed to just be goofy and annoying. And throughout all the time we've known Shining Armor, it is never once even hinted that he feels "emasculated" by his alicorn princess godpony wife, and he is always 100% equal to Cadence in their relationship.

Ughh this show is just so perfect and forward thinking I could go on forever!

• Brohoof 6

I wouldn't say so. They are there in situations it would make sense for them to be in, and much like the Mane Six, are nicely varied.

Braeburn: stupid country yokel? Hardly. He is excitable and proud of his hometown, but he's also a hard worker and willing to listen to the Buffalo's side of the story.

Soarin': Pie loving goof? Absolutely! But he's also a military stunt flyer, pie loving goof!

Big Mac: Simple farmboy? Mmmm in a way. He's laconic and prefers the simple, silent pride of a hard day's work, but it's also hinted that he's more intelligent than he lets on. (And I don't think anypony saw it coming that he's in an acapella group!)

Fancypants: Best pony?! Of course! Okay moving on- *bang*  :wacko: "All right, all right!"

"Elitist snob? Absolutely not! Fancypants is the very image of a gentleman, and is actually quite open minded when compared to his peers.

Spike: Need I say more? Yeah he's been getting the short end of the stick as of late, but he's proven before that he's loyal, insightful, and competent; while at the same time awkward, immature, and can be accident prone. He's a very well rounded character as well as a source of good story for being a dragon.

The only stereotype I can think of is Iron Will, but to be honest, I think that's the joke. As bad a defense that is. I think Iron Will is supposed to represent that bombastic hyper-masculine figure to better contrast Fluttershy's demure meekness. Somepony more emotionally balanced would not have given Fluttershy the advice to just blow through everything that crosses you, and the central conflict of the episode wouldn't have been as clear. 

So on the whole, I don't feel like the show is lacking for good male characters. As I alluded before, a character's/person's gender is only part of what makes up who they are.

The well balanced mix of male and female incidental characters and background ponies makes Equestria feel more alive; like it's an actual world people live and not just a giant play set for kids to buy.

This post is gold, as is it's OP. Seriously, bless you. 

MLP is extremely refreshing in the way it treats its characters. Stereotypes have been shattered, and not just as far as female characters go. If you look closely, you see male stereotypes being broken too. There's Big Macintosh, the big strong man and oldest sibling who has no interest or desire to be the "Man of the House" barking out orders, and would rather just work quietly. There's Trenderhoof, who does all of the silly puppy love crush things typically associated with teenage girls. There's Spike, who, despite being badly characterized often, still comes through as the voice of reason fairly often, despite the fact that as a stand-in little brother character, he's supposed to just be goofy and annoying. And throughout all the time we've known Shining Armor, it is never once even hinted that he feels "emasculated" by his alicorn princess godpony wife, and he is always 100% equal to Cadence in their relationship.

Ughh this show is just so perfect and forward thinking I could go on forever!

DOH! I can't believe I forgot Shining Armor!  :P

I couldn't agree with you more my lady. This show has done what my own mother has been saying for a while now.

"Girls are taught they have to be mean to be strong. There's power in being kind." She would say.

I would always point to Rarity's situation with the Diamond Dogs. In a conventional "girl power" episode, Rarity would have fought her way out. Instead, she never ceases to be the proper lady we know and love, but that's how she overtakes the Diamond Dogs! The show even pokes fun at the expected reactions of both the characters and the audience with the rest of her friends frequently picturing her freaking out and needing rescuing. And when things DO come to shove, Rarity isn't afraid to just straight up punch out a changeling!

Moral of the century.

• Brohoof 9

MLP has excellent representation of female characters and I think that is why so many fans many of them male are able to relate to these characters so strongly. I will never know what it is like to be a woman but when Applejack looked up in the night sky to see those stars I thought of my Dad who passed away 2 years ago when Applejack tried so hard to make everything perfect throughout the episode I thought of what I am trying to do to honor my fathers memory. When Luna struggled in Luna Eclipsed and ponies misinterpreted her intentions I thought back to my childhood and teen years growing up with Autism and how I misinterpreted so many social cues and people would often misunderstand my intentions. When Sweetie Belle tries to make her sister understand her I think about how though my family cares about me how they often don't understand certain things about me.

MLP's male characters need a bit of work though, this generation has more stallions and colts than any other and their characterization is much better but they for the most part don't really get that much attention. Big Mac has a lot of potential and I am not just saying that because his sister is my favorite pony. Between all those "eeeeyups" and "nnnnnnopes" I sense a very intelligent and thoughtful stallion. He went through alot of the same struggles as Applejack did with having to take charge of the family farm and raise Applebloom at a young age after their parents died. He still like Applejack has a great inner strength but the way he wields it is very different, it is like he has few words but he makes the ones he does use count. We don't really see things from his perspective too much which is a shame because I am sure there are some very interesting things going on in his head. Braeburn seems nice enough, Shining Armor is alright, Soarin is a big goof from what we have seen of him but I guess with what I have said you can guess who my favorite stallion is.

• Brohoof 7

@,

I'll grant you that, but not only are they kids, their appearances are (mercifully) brief. And at least they actually serve a purpose in being the lackeys, like that of Bulk and Skull of Power Rangers fame. And let's not forget, it was them who stumbled across the Ursa Minor and lead it to Ponyville. Without their bungling, Trixie would have just moved out and "won." Twilight would not have learned the lesson of being proud of herself.

So at the very least, you can say the two are at least active stereotypes and not just there strictly for the purpose of being mocked. 

• Brohoof 1

MLP has excellent representation of female characters and I think that is why so many fans many of them male are able to relate to these characters so strongly. I will never know what it is like to be a woman but when Applejack looked up in the night sky to see those stars I thought of my Dad who passed away 2 years ago when Applejack tried so hard to make everything perfect throughout the episode I thought of what I am trying to do to honor my fathers memory. When Luna struggled in Luna Eclipsed and ponies misinterpreted her intentions I thought back to my childhood and teen years growing up with Autism and how I misinterpreted so many social cues and people would often misunderstand my intentions. When Sweetie Belle tries to make her sister understand her I think about how though my family cares about me how they often don't understand certain things about me.

MLP's male characters need a bit of work though, this generation has more stallions and colts than any other and their characterization is much better but they for the most part don't really get that much attention. Big Mac has a lot of potential and I am not just saying that because his sister is my favorite pony. Between all those "eeeeyups" and "nnnnnnopes" I sense a very intelligent and thoughtful stallion. He went through alot of the same struggles as Applejack did with having to take charge of the family farm and raise Applebloom at a young age after their parents died. He still like Applejack has a great inner strength but the way he wields it is very different, it is like he has few words but he makes the ones he does use count. We don't really see things from his perspective too much which is a shame because I am sure there are some very interesting things going on in his head. Braeburn seems nice enough, Shining Armor is alright, Soarin is a big goof from what we have seen of him but I guess with what I have said you can guess who my favorite stallion is.

Clearly, it's Flash Sentry.  ;)

I'm so sorry about your father. I know it's not the same, but my grandfather passed away last year, and it was a long time coming as his mind deteriorated from Alzheimer's.

Similarly, I did identify with Luna for the same reason of still coping with a form of high-functioning autism.

The number of times the characters emotions and situations almost eerily paralleled my own are too numerous to count.

• Brohoof 1

Weirdly enough, the episode with the most blatant kick at males was one Lauren Faust wrote, the Ticket Master. 

When Spike starts coughing, AJ sneers and says in this really snide tone "Well ain't that just like a boy, can't handle the least bit of sentiment"

It made AJ sound like a douchebag and it was so random and out of nowhere.

OT: I don't really care for their genders so as long as they're written well My sister and I thought RD was a boy

• Brohoof 5

@,

I'll grant you that, but not only are they kids, their appearances are (mercifully) brief. And at least they actually serve a purpose in being the lackeys, like that of Bulk and Skull of Power Rangers fame. And let's not forget, it was them who stumbled across the Ursa Minor and lead it to Ponyville. Without their bungling, Trixie would have just moved out and "won." Twilight would not have learned the lesson of being proud of herself.

So at the very least, you can say the two are at least active stereotypes and not just there strictly for the purpose of being mocked. 

I suppose most of the time they are, but they have been mocked in some episodes. I honestly can let them slide though, the only other possible stereotype after them is Flash Sentry imo, but he can easily be turned into an archetype if he gains some actual flaws.

I think male characters have potential, but with the show centered around the main female protagonists you could say that male characters should be used at least more than once.

Clearly, it's Flash Sentry.  ;)

0033.gif

HATE that character!

I don't give a damn about the romance, no it's not that! ( . . . Fluttershy is my type anyway.)

What I can't stand is him being basically the most one note, one dimensional, cardboard cutout to ever be associated with this show!  

-He's nice

-He plays guitar

-He dated Sunset Shimmer for no adequately explained reason

THAT'S IT!  :angry: There's nothing else about him! You could've replaced him with a lamp and the plot would be the same!

Amongst this incredible cast of multifaceted, complex characters, he stands out like . . . . LIKE . . . .

bigbrothers-4speedquarterbacksalty.png

THAT!

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 1

@@Steel Accord,

IDK, Luna is also a pretty huge cut out, so is Trixie. At least Flash Sentry had a few funny lines(One no comes to mind)

Before you ask, yes, I hate Luna and Trixie with a firey passion. That's actually not true, I'd be fine with them were it not for the hornet's nest of fanboys/fangirls that comes with them 

I am male and I think they do a good job. Even the stereotypical "whiny girl" rarity is given a lot of depth and branches out a lot. She has a good personality and does the right thing when it calls for it. Even I get tired of seeing the stereotypical male-female dynamic and love it when a woman gets a good role, it really changes it up and offers a new experience. As for this:

I do kind of feel guys are negatively stereotyped a bit, but not as bad as they could be. The only instances that really bugged me were when, in, I believe The Ticket Master Spike is uncomfortable towards how the Mane Six are acting and Applejack responds "Well isn't that just like a boy, can't handle the least bit of sentiment" and in Dragon Quest the way the Dragons are portrayed are SOOOO stereotyped it's not even funny.

I really think it just goes to show how more media should have an equal number of male and female writers/directors and have them write for their own gender.

Heck, even when I play MMOs I usually create a female character to shake things up. It's really sad how many guys have called me "gay" for it. I really don't understand why so many guys are so adverse to dealing/talking about women's issues or seeing women in powerful positions.

This is one of my favorite scenes from MLP:

• Brohoof 3

Dragon Quest the way the Dragons are portrayed are SOOOO stereotyped it's not even funny.

They were awesome, kind of like Iron Will. They eat testosterone, drink beer, and play metal all day. Kind of like Hulk Hogan or Chuck Norris xD

I use female character models because the armor is usually different and I like to see every type of armor