Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Spike singing the Cloudsdale Anthem

Scootie

68 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like watching Spike sing the Cloudsdale anthem?

• Yes, it was hilarious!
    • It was OK, did really care
    • No, it was a bit cringeworthy
    • I hated that moment, couldn't stomach watching it!

Spike singing the National anthem of Cloudsale what quite honestly the funniest moment in the whole entire show for me. I've watched it over and over again and I just burst out laughing every single time.

But reading everyone else's reviews on the episode, it seem that a lot of people hated that moment, many stating that they muted the TV or turned it off completely. It ruined the whole episode for a few.

Was it honestly that horrible to watch for some people?

• Brohoof 2

It was a bit too long, I didn't hate it, but I found it a bit disturbing to watch. Poor Spike...

That's my least favorite moment of the episode...

I usually hate the whole 'character singing super badly' joke, since it's an open invitation for the writers and composers to make no effort and just write badly, citing that 'that's the joke'.  Very rarely have I seen it be truly be amusing.  In fact, the only example that comes to mind is the Francis Scott Key skit from Whitest Kids You Know.

Oh, and in this particular case, I found it at least bearable, because even though the lyrics were (understandibly) awful, the actual music was good.

I watched it on youtube for the first time and when I heard Ms. Harshwhinny suggested singing, I had a bad vibe. Aaaaaannnd it happened. I watched it with double speed because I had a special feeling whenever something embarrasing is showing, but I heard the lyric and when I heard it's over now over and over I just facepalm-ed hard. It was funny nevertheless.

I have a serious love hate relationship with that scene... I just watched the episode for the first time and I had a hard time keeping my earphones in because I felt so bad for Spike... I ripped them out a few times because I felt so bad for him I couldn't listen to it anymore, but that was just a freaking amazing setup.  I mean, I knew when he went up to sing when he wasn't invited, it wasn't going to go well, but once I realized he didn't even know the song I burst out laughing and then after a few seconds had a hard time listening to it.

I don't think I'd have changed or shortened the scene because it was an amazing setup and hilarious, but it was also painful to watch this first time, so yep.

• Brohoof 1

Poor Spike I really felt awful for him! Now the Crystal Empire loves him and Cloudsale hates him... Hope he don't get wings yet! But I'm still in love with dragons:D

It was very, very, extremely cringe-worthy

This was defiantly deliberate though, and made you feel such empathy for spike it was brilliant !

This was a great episode, and although it focused on spike, everyone was involved well :)! Hopefully some will make some good remix of this sound though, it was brilliant :)

I find humor based around cringe worthy moments pretty funny, so I liked it. Always enjoyed Larry David stuff like Seinfeld and Curb Your Enthusiasm.

I can see how others might not like it so much, though.

(edited)

It was just fucking painful to watch! I seriously have no idea what was going through the writers heads when they thought it was a good idea. :eww: 

This was defiantly deliberate though, and made you feel such empathy for spike it was brilliant!

I don't think torturing the audience is necessary for us to get the point that he's embarrassing himself. It felt like it'd never end and it was just awful! The scene could have had the same impression if he sung the wrong anthem and everyone laughed at him instead of making up an anthem and having a cringing scene from the audience that never ended. 

I didn't like it.  :P

Edited by Grumpy Enchantress
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I had trouble watching it the first time, but I liked it. It was warranted and really made me feel bad for the little guy, and actually said a lot about his character. Most people would've ran away, but instead he stood there and faced the music (no pun intended). Sure, it was awkward as hell, but it made the viewer not just sympathize, but empathize with his plight. We felt his embarassment, we all cringed at the awkwardness, we put ourselves in his shoes. People's reactions to the scene say just as much about them as Spike himself. Those who found it funny can shrug humiliation off, those who hated it would struggle in that sort of situation, and so on. That's my take on the scene, anyway.

Edited by Dry Colt

I do NOT think they would have put him in that position despite what he did.

I think it would have made a lot more sense for him to have woken up at that moment from "a dream" all sweaty etc.  It would have had the same effect without the damage.

(edited)

Welp, it was pretty funny, but it could've been shorter. Maybe around 30 seconds would be enough...

I feel sorry for Spike, and the audience, though. D:

Edited by GeometryMath Algebra

I felt bad for Spike that he wanted to sing the Cloudsdale National Anthem, though it was funny for a minutes it felt a bit cringeworthy after the song kept going on.

I struggled watching it, due to how cringe inducing it was. Poor Spike!

Although, it was kind of funny that Pinkie Pie was rocking out to the song while everybody else was just silent.

(edited)

THAT WAS MY FAVORITE MOMENT OF THE EPISODE, I WAS LAUGHING THE WHOLE WAY THROUGH! HOW DARE ANYBODY SAY ANYTHING BAD ABOUT! HOW DARE THEY. HOW DARE THEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Um ok you're actually entitled to your own opinion...

Edited by Star Ruby

I found the song itself funny :D I don't know why people keep throwing out the term "cringe-worthy" like it's a bad thing, though.

I think, judging by how embarrassed and how bad he felt afterwards, that the writers kind of wanted you to feel bad for him; create more of an emotional investment in the story. A  good story features more than just happy emotions, and I think that was one of the great things about this episode; while the song itself was humorous, the little guy was genuinely embarrassed; you, the viewer, felt that way, too; I know I felt bad for the guy after the song.

All part of the build-up to the kickass ending, though :D Tell me, if he didn't humiliate himself beforehand, would that ending have had near the effect that it did? :D

• Brohoof 4