Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Workouts for the Summer?

Appleloosa

With summer approaching, that means beaches and pool parties will follow! Ive always been one to be a complete sloth all winter and panic last minute while hitting the gym daily just before summer. Luckily this year, baseball winter training has kept me in relatively good shape all winter and spring. But not good enough to look presentable poolside. So in preparation for this Summer Im trying to do crunches and run everyday. Anybody else in the same boat as me? What are some of your secrets to an effective workout?

even if I don't do anything and eat, my body stays slim, no matter what.
You. I envy you. I have the metabolism speed of a molasses rolling off a stack of pancakes.

I've just been weight lifting, too many crunches, running, and stairs (and oh how I hate stairs now) and a mish mosh of other things. Burned 20lbs of fat in the last month, woo. And the diet I've been on is helping. 

• Brohoof 1

The only thing i like doing is swimming, running around like a maniac, and lifting weights.  I'll never be skinny enough for swim wear for this summer, so i'm not in any rush to look good.  Lost 11 pounds since last month tho, that's from my new diet tho.

I've just been weight lifting, too many crunches, running, and stairs (and oh how I hate stairs now) and a mish mosh of other things. Burned 20lbs of fat in the last month, woo. And the diet I've been on is helping.

The only thing i like doing is swimming, running around like a maniac, and lifting weights.  I'll never be skinny enough for swim wear for this summer, so i'm not in any rush to look good.  Lost 11 pounds since last month tho, that's from my new diet tho

Thats awesome guys! (In loosing the weight) keep up the good work! Im down from 160 to 155 myself

I do beer lifting, often accompanied by ciggarette breath training, with occassional pizza pick-ups. Then I let my amazing metabolism shape my body into the nice shape I've always had.

Other than that, I know very little in terms of sport, except for swimming and biking.

(edited)

Oh man, no matter how much you exercise, diet AND exercise is required to get the good body.

I'd avoid carbs from Pizza, burgers, sweets.

go for chicken, organic egg whites, pinto beans, greek yogurt for bulking up.

For training I bench press 220, do tone the legs and do more lifting. I walk around at school instead of driving for LISS, and HIIT once a week. For classes, walking takes up at least an hour because of classes and I usually walk with friends as well.

I don't know, what I'm saying is not for those in weight loss, but those maintaining muscle. It works for me, hopefully you'll find something that helps you.

Edited by Carbon Maestro
  • Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

I am taking up working out myself!

First I am doing bodyweight exercises and jogging.

If I have the fundamentals I might go to the gym myself.

:wub:

• 7 months later...

Once I start work, I won't be at home much. I will be packing a simple lunch using a Japanese bento i bought last year (It's amazing). 1 egg, a cup of stir fried rice (has vegis) and a cup of fruit.

With 2 eggs for breakfast, and a homecooked supper, I'll be cruising in healthy eating (and limited on calories too)

I just hope my body is up for work (it's not in the best of health joint wise)

I just go to the gym 3 times a week to stay in shape, besides that on my off days I do 100 push-ups, 100 squats and 100 crunches. I wasn't able to do a lot the past months because I had to take a ton of medicine but I'm definitely gonna start doing some hard work the moment I can.

With summer approaching, that means beaches and pool parties will follow! Ive always been one to be a complete sloth all winter and panic last minute while hitting the gym daily just before summer. Luckily this year, baseball winter training has kept me in relatively good shape all winter and spring. But not good enough to look presentable poolside. So in preparation for this Summer Im trying to do crunches and run everyday. Anybody else in the same boat as me? What are some of your secrets to an effective workout?

Best kept secret, crunches and endless cardio are a waste of time. You can't spot reduce and long cardiograph sessions destroy muscle. End result? Being thin and flabby at the same time.

Dynamic yoga for cardio, core strength, joint health, and flexibility. Weight training for strength and toning.

Squats are your best friend.

And because someone mentioned being worried about their joints not holding up, start with the weight you can handle. Even if that means working with an empty bar at first. Get the form down and improve from there. The body is an adaptive machine, DOMS aside, you'll actually stop hurting after a month or so.

Cutting out dairy and upping healthy fats goes a long way for sore joints as well. If you like fish, salmon pan seared in a bit of olive or sunflower oil is cheap and super quick. Alternatively, swai pan seared in coconut oil with curry powder is wonderful.

Edited by TSD

can anyone give me a noob´s guide to starting out with muscle training?

i am pretty thin, and i have a healthy diet.

I rarely eat fast food, or fatty food, in general.

I drink cocoa pretty much every day, is that healthy?

What i really wanna know about is what workout techniques you guys use, things like how many times a week you should work out, and what is the best way to do so.

(i don´t really trust the internet with all its "trainers hate him" kind of methods, and i don´t really know where i should be looking for tips :/ )

can anyone give me a noob´s guide to starting out with muscle training?

i am pretty thin, and i have a healthy diet.

I rarely eat fast food, or fatty food, in general.

I drink cocoa pretty much every day, is that healthy?

What i really wanna know about is what workout techniques you guys use, things like how many times a week you should work out, and what is the best way to do so.

(i don´t really trust the internet with all its "trainers hate him" kind of methods, and i don´t really know where i should be looking for tips :/ )

Kid-O, hit me up and let me know what you're working with.

Do you have access to a school weight room or another facility? School coaches will usually help you with form if you ask. Hit them up and don't be intimidated because your not a jock.

Once you're in, keep it simple. Big compound movements: bench press, military press, pendlay rows, squats, and deadlifts. Five sets as heavy as you can go for five reps while keeping good form. Next time out, up the weight by five pounds.

As far as diet goes? Your body is only as good as what you put into it. Stick to whole foods and avoid processed chemical infused junk. Assuming your in your teens, no need to get much deeper than that at the moment.

You're totally primed to grow.

• Brohoof 1