Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do so many people hate Twist?

DukeofCanterlot

I don't know why everypony hates her... She's thwagerrific!

I'll go sit in a corner.

sorrysorrysorrysorrrysorry

• Brohoof 1

• 11 months later...

It's hard to tell whether Twist ditched Apple Bloom or vice versa or did they just go their separate ways..  I think the writers opted to not answer this question by making Twist irrelevant.

I saw some YouTube videos that have their ten worst MLP characters.. and besides some of the obvious (Snips, Snails, Diamond Tiara, Silver Spoon, Prince Bluebood).. Twist often makes it on the list.

And.. oh my gosh.. wouldn't it be something if Twist and Bon-Bon turned out to be sisters... or thithterth.

You know, it's funny I've seen some fics where Twist is Bon Bon's little sister, and Bon Bon looked like her as a filly.

There's some Twist looking hot  :bedeyes: ..... and a little threatening  :unsure:

bad_future___the_crystal_ponies_by_astri

• Brohoof 1

I feel like a lot of people dislike Twist because she is so annoying. Her lisp makes her a bit irritating.

I haven't heard of any sort of widespread hate for Twist, Twist isn't super popular either at least not that I am aware of but that is a bit different than being outright hated. Part of me wants to say that she isn't super popular because she hasn't had much screen time but then again the same can be said of quite a few background ponies that became quite popular. I like Twist actually and find her lisp adorable.

Well, if some people hate the CMCs, it isn't surprising some would hate Twist, what with her lisp and all.

( I don't hate her and I like the lisp, but some may see it as annoying in a childish way. )

I didn't know Twist is widely hated by the fandom. I personally like Twist as a character and I do see why some people dislike her. She has that stereotypical nerdy vibe like you would see in other cartoons. Or maybe because she's so underdeveloped? Let's face it, we've only seen her like once or twice in the whole show.

I didn't know Twist is widely hated by the fandom. I personally like Twist as a character and I do see why some people dislike her. She has that stereotypical nerdy vibe like you would see in other cartoons. Or maybe because she's so underdeveloped? Let's face it, we've only seen her like once or twice in the whole show.

I think she had lines in three episodes at most, but she has some background appearances 

"You know nothing, Applebloom."

I suppose that a Bad Future Crussaders line. I haven't reached that part, I'm around chapter 20 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I suppose that a Bad Future Crussaders line. I haven't reached that part, I'm around chapter 20

Actually, that's a "Game of Thrones" reference because Twist in that picture looks like that series' Ygrette

Edited by Jangobadass

Actually, that's a "Game of Thrones" reference because Twist in that picture looks like that series' Ygrette

Ah ok, my bad :blush:

PD: I should watch GoT  :unsure:

I'm not sure why, but it seems that the fandom attaches to some background ponies and not to others. Twist just doesn't have much development in the fandom, so we see her as a bland character. That's our fault, not hers, and as such I don't hate her in any way, shape, or form.

My head cannon for Twist is that having to cope with her speech impediment, she's sort of a Walter Mitty character. In her mind, she considers herself to be "one bad mama-jamma" because she's stopped caring what others think of her. The main reason I say this is just because I want imagine she might actually use the term "thwag" in casual conversation. I apologize for the language in the image.

post-33250-0-83131200-1431462890.jpg

I've found that most of the people who hate Twist also have had some sort of awkward childhood or growing up phase. Like having braces, glasses, or asthma (so inhalers). So maybe it's just that they actually feel uncomfortable about that period of their own life and are projecting that onto the character. Thus creating a "mirror" of sorts. In psychology that's called super-imposing. OR I could be full of it. Who knows?  :umad:

I literally just found out her name was Twist yesterday.

Personally I think she's got a cute design but I guess her 'nerd' style is overplayed and I'm sorta glad she didn't show up much after she did.

I think I wanted just a little more of her character though, because AB and Twist seemed to be each others' ONLY friends and then they just sort of split up once AB formed the CMC and Twist got her cutie mark.

Personally at this point I don't need to see too much more of her.

I'm not sure why, but it seems that the fandom attaches to some background ponies and not to others. Twist just doesn't have much development in the fandom, so we see her as a bland character. That's our fault, not hers, and as such I don't hate her in any way, shape, or form.

My head cannon for Twist is that having to cope with her speech impediment, she's sort of a Walter Mitty character. In her mind, she considers herself to be "one bad mama-jamma" because she's stopped caring what others think of her. The main reason I say this is just because I want imagine she might actually use the term "thwag" in casual conversation. I apologize for the language in the image.

I don't get why some attatch to a select few background ponies and not others, either. But your argument of Twist having much development and fans seeing her as bland can also be applies to the fan favorite background ponies. It's because they're blank slates, essentially, that the fans can give them their own headcanonized character. So why should that exclude Twist and other BG's?

I think the reason for that is mostly because they HAVE a personality that's implied and the community doesn't seem/feel ALLOWED to mess with parameters that have been we for a character by the power that be.

When I first saw Call of the Cutie, I actually thought Sweetie Belle and Scoot were just gonna be background fillies (I was very new to MLP).

What if the community had applied huge headcanons to them only to have their visions crushed by how the show portrays them?

At least that's what I figure is the reason. Background ponies give an actual canvas that ISNT gonna be filled at ALL by the writers of the show

^^( To clarify, Twist wasn't really a background pony, in my mind, since she had actual lines and served a bit of a purpose, and was named already)

I don't see how people can dislike her, we've only seen her one or twice, She wasn't even rude in any way. Maybe her lisp was annoying, but as far as I can tell, she's just underdeveloped and doesn't exist any more.

I don't get why some attatch to a select few background ponies and not others, either. But your argument of Twist having much development and fans seeing her as bland can also be applies to the fan favorite background ponies. It's because they're blank slates, essentially, that the fans can give them their own headcanonized character. So why should that exclude Twist and other BG's?

Well, we see just enough of Twist in Call of the Cutie that's she's not a blank slate, but she also doesn't get enough characterization to have a very developed personality in canon, either.

• Brohoof 1

Well, we see just enough of Twist in Call of the Cutie that's she's not a blank slate, but she also doesn't get enough characterization to have a very developed personality in canon, either.

I think that's a what the community fears... Essentially taking a half-baked character and filing her out, and then seeing her re-characterized in the show if she were reintroduced.

I think that's a what the community fears... Essentially taking a half-baked character and filing her out, and then seeing her re-characterized in the show if she were reintroduced.

I fail to see how that's any different from the other background characters they (they fans) are giving personality to. DHX could throw them into the mix at any time, and destroy the fans headcanons either way, depending how fans decide to take it (need I remind anyone of Rainbow Rocks, or the upcoming 100th episode?)

I always thought it was more of a joke hate, you know that people just said Twist is worst as an injoke with the fandom, mostly due to her Chuck Cunningham syndrome (ie a person with an established background and relationship to one of the main characters, but then drops off the face of the Earth and is forgotten by the writing staff)