Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Double Rainboom Taken Down

Shift

Even if he does want to move on to bigger things, why remove the work that not only he did, but several others as well? It's like an Indy director moving on to studio directing and so burns his old films that took the effort of a lot of people. Not only does it not make sense from a group viewpoint, but what he did he should be proud of, not try to hide away.

Because he's trying to cover up something that could damage his career.

Because he's trying to cover up something that could damage his career.

If what's being said is true, it sounds like he dug the hole himself by allowing the stolen assets to be used. 

Edited by Shoboni

• 3 weeks later...

Just taking the takedown message at face value; that is the biggest middle finger any project leader could give to his team. Strip it down it not only credits nobody other than him for this animation (which I need to point out that in the credits Rich is not even listed as an animator) but basically says "Oh DR was only a stepping stone into my professional career!"

In short, he used all the people who ever worked on DR to advance his own career and then gives them zero credit for their effort.

That kind of horrible handling of a project follows you. In actuality he made his future animating prospects even worse by doing this because any half-baked search will turn up this and show how he treated people who give their time (and to some extent money, let's not forget some of the people who worked were professional and therefore lost money by volunteering on this project) to make it succeed.

He could not have shot himself in the foot fandom-ly or professionally more if he taped a target on and took aim. I just feel awful for all the people who put work into this and get absolutely nothing out of it.

• Brohoof 1

I am moving into 'professional' rap, and I removed all of my pony related work along with the alias. This is to protect my future self from backlash. On one hand I can understand his actions.

However, if the aforementioned is true, then that is another story entirely. If we have someone upload a clip of the credits, and this is indeed the case, I have no problem putting him in the bin with the rest of the people that use the pony community for their own gain.

But why? Many people that started with such things that got popular later on don't remove or deny past work. Shit, Linkara of TGWTG wrote crappy fanfic as a teen and he left it up for everyone to see. He even let Sage do it reading of it for MPT while appearing in the video himself as his hostage that was being forced to listen to it. 

I'd honestly where fandom connections as a badge of pride because it makes you more approachable to fans if you're not afraid to be "one of the guys" as it were. 

Rap doesn't work that way. I am a battle rapper, and I don't need that kind of ammo leveraged against me. I am not exaggerating when I say it would end my professional career.

Sounds like a really shitty career, and not exactly something I'd be proud of. I'd place that not much above what Howard Stern get's paid to do.

No offense to you as a person.  

It's not so much the fandom connection that's the problem; it's the handling of the whole situation. There are plenty of celebrities with "geeky" hobbies. Fan projects are a good way to get off the ground. Taking down a project and giving no ackowledgement to the people who created it is a bad thing.

• Brohoof 1

It is a wonderful career, that has led me to meet interesting people, however, as with actors, rappers have a persona. If this persona is stained, it ruins your name, and your name is what matters. No syndicate or label will sign someone with a broken persona. That is how it works.

This knowledge, and the application of this knowledge, is what separates wanna be rappers', from known rappers. As far of being proud, I can do things with words that hordes of people out there could only dream about. Eminem got me into rap, MLP convinced me to get off my ass and do it, and now, I am going to show respect to the community in the best way possible.

I am going to do anything it takes to advance myself past it. I will leave a gap, and hopefully, someone else will come along and do the same thing.

I don't get how cutting all ties with something is "respecting it". I also don't get why you'd want to cultivate a persona you have to hide who you really are 24/7 to fill. Even most web-hosts that use personas make it clear that their characters are not them and regularly appear as themselves to counteract that problem of having to hide behind a mask all the time. Especially the kind of Mask that rappers wear.

It's not so much the fandom connection that's the problem; it's the handling of the whole situation. There are plenty of celebrities with "geeky" hobbies. Fan projects are a good way to get off the ground. Taking down a project and giving no ackowledgement to the people who created it is a bad thing.

Shit, Vin Diesel, who is a stereotypical macho action star is a D$D nerd. He didn't hide it, but instead embraced it by writing for a D&D book and actively trying to get his cast-mates to play games of it with him.   

Edited by Shoboni

You either get the rap game or you don't mate, no disrespect. That is just how it works. To take this skill and throw it away, to not advance my career, would be a grievous dishonor to the community that pushed me. Shady/Eminem is not Marshall Mathers, Mos Def is not Dante Smith, Wiz Khalifa is not Cameron Thomaz. Those are personas. People seem to have this negative aura around 'hiding your real self', but we all do it. You hold your tongue in public, wear clothes, and bathe to be less offensive. As a matter of a fact, Eminem is a pretty nice guy, and the guys from ICP are not total inbreeds (though their music is still terrible).

Am I going to toss the gifts that fans have given me? No. Am I going to deny it if someone ask? Why would I? Am I going to sit here and arm the many, many, many talented kids that want to take my spot and chance away from me? Hell no. Rap is not animating, it is not singing, it is not painting. Rap is brutal and unforgiving art, especially the kind I excel at.

Edit: Back to the original subject, in short, I can understand his approach at scrubbing his name. I don't appreciate his manipulation of the community to gain for himself.

I think you fail to understand what I mean by hiding behind a mask. Being respectful of other people is not hiding anything, it's endeavoring to better yourself. You also don't have to throw any skill away because there's many rappers that don't succumb to the violent stereotypes and rap about things like religion, politics, society or life in general instead of taking part in childish faux-tough-guy routines.   

It also shows a lack of creativity that rather hid this stuff instead of using it against them. If they use said things as ammo you could just as easily reverse it on them and mock their shallowness and ignorance for doing so.  

Edited by Shoboni

Like I said man, some get it, and some don't. I guess you need to be in the game to understand. Essentially, in a round about way, you are telling me to quit doing something I love because it means giving up something else. I'm not going to stop battle rapping. I specify the type of rap, because it has a particular set of requirements, and not rapping about a children's show is one of them. To not put on that mask, is the same thing as putting on another, because I'm not being myself.

However, as much as I would love to defend my art, we should probably move on to the original subject so the thread does not get locked.

I guess I just rather not build such ignorant, backwards, and immature persona that would consider someone's taste in entertainment something to belittle and insult about, but to each his own. 

B

Edit: Again, really should get this conversation back on track. Double Rainboom is an example of someone moving on, however, I don't understand why a previous animation should have an impact on his career. Unless, it is like battle rap, and because I am not in the field, I don't understand his position.

Through all else, and all the things we can argue about this is one place I agree. If your getting into making children animation, a MLP animation poses no threat to you. It would in fact be a good thing on the resume to have done a project as high-profile as Double Rainboom and handled it well.  

It's a real shame, not because Double Rainboom was taken down, personal I didn't like it all that much, but the fact that the cast and crew, who worked on it just had they dedication withered away, I know I would feel bad too if someone took down my hard work. However, if Zachary Rich put more effort in the story, and not do so many shoutouts to Lauren Faust and the bronies, and references to internet memes, then he would feel better about not taking down this video, so it looks like Rich is still lousy with public relations, he really should consider listening to the critiques and criticisms he has been getting, then perhaps he would not be the name frowned upon.    

He did have some permission from Hasbro and made arrangements with them that it's just going to be a fan project as the last thing he needed to graduate from college and it proved really successful.

The episode being taken down just meant that he's only moving on and he wants to try out new things so I don't think Double Rainboom is gone completely, Zach did do an amazing job on it but I don't think it should be taken down; besides, he could've just left it as something a reminder to everyone that anything in the show and the Brony Community is possible unless you stop believing and embrace any differences that you have that makes you you and never let anyone else to you any differently.

Its still being re-uploaded. So just use a youtube downloader program and reuploaded it to your hearts content. Nothing ever goes away on the net. You just have to know where to look. 

• Brohoof 1

He did have some permission from Hasbro and made arrangements with them that it's just going to be a fan project as the last thing he needed to graduate from college and it proved really successful.

The episode being taken down just meant that he's only moving on and he wants to try out new things so I don't think Double Rainboom is gone completely, Zach did do an amazing job on it but I don't think it should be taken down; besides, he could've just left it as something a reminder to everyone that anything in the show and the Brony Community is possible unless you stop believing and embrace any differences that you have that makes you you and never let anyone else to you any differently.

If you look back in the thread, the issue appears to be that one of the animators used actual stolen assets from the show that got leaked onto the net instead of making the art themselves and that appears to be what Hasbro wasn't to thrilled with. 

Edited by Shoboni
  • Brohoof 1

Hasbro needs to embrace the fan works more. They are really the only beneficiaries legally and they will remain so. Of course frankly their customer base has grown so much in the last few years that I think they found it difficult to see what would blossom out of all of this. This is the way things are now done now, if Hasbro has a problem with losing a few dollars or viewers to a fan episode, all I can say is you've got only one life to live and you can't take any money or earthly pocessions with you when you die. 

If you look back in the thread, the issue appears to be that one of the animators uses actual stolen assets from the show that got leaked onto the net instead of making the art themselves and that appears to be Hasbro wasn't to thrilled with. 

Indeed, turns out the male stallion rigs used dhx assets from the leaked wonderbolt puppets. So it's very possible this is actually the result from a C&D from Hasbro. However Mr. Rich probably wouldn't want to outwright blame Hasbro for taking this down because he wants to build a positive relationship with them for the possibilty for them picking up True Tail, so he took them down himself.

Be honest with yourself, anyone who knows anything about the Internet knows once you put something on the internet, it's there for good. You know that and Mr. Rich knows that. There were reuploads of DRB on the day it was originally uploaded, so he knew it was safe to take it down but still exists for people to watch.

• Brohoof 1