Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do people like Silver Spoon?

Forlong

022b1b2f3fe6990d3d5bc01e0f0ce8be.png

I honestly don't get it.  She has less personality than Maud's pet rock.  At least Silver Shill has the excuse of only being in one episode.  Spoon was in 7 episodes and what do we know about her beyond being Diamond Tiara's slimy little toady?  Her only purpose is to be somepony for Dia to talk to.

I like her in terms of roleplay because she has practically NO character, it's easy to work with and mend to one's whims. Giving characters personality when they have little to none is rather fun, at least in my oppinion.

I think its because many see her as somewhat a bulling victim herself. That she only hangs around with Tiara to not become her target, and that she really does not want to do what she does, but is forced to do it by peer pressure.

At least i got it that way. Don't know where it originated.

• Brohoof 6

Part of it is her design I think, but like others say, it is likely more to do with the fact that she seems to have potential for redemption. As we saw in "Twilight Time" the two didn't always see eye-to-eye. MAYBE there is something there.

People use their head-canon to have her become this "not as bad as Diamond Tiara".

When in fact she follows DT not out of getting bullied(as we've seen, she doesn't take DT's bad behaviour lying down), but because Diamond is more clever about how to bully.

(edited)

I know the community dislikes DT, I've always felt like they were neutral on Silver Spoon, because she's obviously the lackey and could turn good, while chances are Diamond Tiara will always be a little brat. So there's the fact she could be good, but there's also the fact she acts bad, and then there's a character design that looks similar to a librarian and an almost non-existent personality. I'd say most of the fandom falls neutral on her - she's not a very memorable character, either :D

Edited by A ghostie Makusu2

I love SS because of not only her adorable design, but she's a mystery. We only see her as Diamond Tiara's accessory, but we never got any insight on who she really is. We know how DT is, but SS seems to stick around for the many reasons listed in the posts above me. ^^

(edited)

As others have mentioned she could turn good, and I actually see that sometimes. For example, Silver Spoon sometimes claps say for something the cutie mark crusaders did while DT stands there disgusted. She's often supportive of certain things while DT is never so. Silver Spoon is definitely a wing to the bird. She usually doesn't start the bullying. She builds off of what DT says.

So, I see where people get this idea. It's this thought of a light we sometimes see in her. Plus...I dunno. She's kinda cute. Is it just me?

Edited by FeIix

As others have said, I'm not sure where you found all this Silver Spoon love, but I can't say that she's hated either. Most people pour hatred onto Diamond Tiara, but...

I find it interesting that a lot of folks exclude her from the hatred when, even if she is just following Diamond Tiara, she has been just as mean and rude as Diamond Tiara is. I don't think that she should be absolved of all guilt just because she's a follower and not a leader.

Either way, it's the fact that she's just the wingpony to the bullying, so to speak, rather than the actively partaking in it that makes her a little more popular than Diamond Tiara is. Plus, she has a pretty cool design.

As others have said, I'm not sure where you found all this Silver Spoon love, but I can't say that she's hated either. Most people pour hatred onto Diamond Tiara, but...

I find it interesting that a lot of folks exclude her from the hatred when, even if she is just following Diamond Tiara, she has been just as mean and rude as Diamond Tiara is. I don't think that she should be absolved of all guilt just because she's a follower and not a leader.

Either way, it's the fact that she's just the wingpony to the bullying, so to speak, rather than the actively partaking in it that makes her a little more popular than Diamond Tiara is. Plus, she has a pretty cool design.

To be fair, I don't think either of them should be outright hated. They're just children, and as we all know, children can be little bastards. It's kinda their thing.

• Brohoof 3

To be fair, I don't think either of them should be outright hated. They're just children, and as we all know, children can be little bastards. It's kinda their thing.

Well granted, I don't hate them at all. I love Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon. To me they're best bullies.

But yeah, children can be evil little devils, can't they? They'll likely grow out of it when they get older.

Either that, or they'll end up like Jet Set and Upper Crust.

For the same reason people like Beastly in Care Bears. She's cute and stupid and she is just the sidekick to a worse evil.

I used to think that maybe she was going to get a redemption episode, but after Flight to the Finish I don't know if there's any going back for Silver Spoon.

Chlidren are more than capable of being bad when they know they're wrong.  like... the slenderman girl who tried to murder her friend.

Chlidren are more than capable of being bad when they know they're wrong.  like... the slenderman girl who tried to murder her friend.

Extreme cases like that one notwithstanding, I do believe that misbehaving children should always be punished for their wrongdoings. But to hate a child simply for having an incomplete picture of right vs. wrong is simply ignorant. It is the parents' duty to help their children paint that picture, and whenever a child is driven to the point of bullying, it's usually a sign that their parents have failed to teach them what empathy's all about, or worse, neglected them outright.

In DT and SS's case, I believe this is more than possible. While affluent upbringings lead children to grow up spoiled, spoiled doesn't necessarily mean well-cared for. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if it turned out Filthy Rich just kind of dumped DT off on some nanny while he went off to do his own thing, building up resentment and self-esteem issues in his daughter that she can only release by being a rotten lil' bitch to the CMC.

I'm not apologizing for kids' ill behavior, I'm just saying it's usually a case of bad parenting, not the child him/herself being inherently 'bad'.

• Brohoof 1

Extreme cases like that one notwithstanding, I do believe that misbehaving children should always be punished for their wrongdoings. But to hate a child simply for having an incomplete picture of right vs. wrong is simply ignorant. It is the parents' duty to help their children paint that picture, and whenever a child is driven to the point of bullying, it's usually a sign that their parents have failed to teach them what empathy's all about, or worse, neglected them outright.

In DT and SS's case, I believe this is more than possible. While affluent upbringings lead children to grow up spoiled, spoiled doesn't necessarily mean well-cared for. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if it turned out Filthy Rich just kind of dumped DT off on some nanny while he went off to do his own thing, building up resentment and self-esteem issues in his daughter that she can only release by being a rotten lil' bitch to the CMC.

I'm not apologizing for kids' ill behavior, I'm just saying it's usually a case of bad parenting, not the child him/herself being inherently 'bad'.

I find it really hard to believe that in the world of a show that revolves around the magic of friendship, Diamond Tiara doesn't know right vs. wrong.  

I find it really hard to believe that in the world of a show that revolves around the magic of friendship, Diamond Tiara doesn't know right vs. wrong.  

What you find easy or difficult to believe does not qualify as a valid counterargument. If you're not going to directly address any of the points I brought up, I'll be on my way.