Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Girls, do you prefer being called a brony or a pegasister?

Binary Blast

Brony or Pegasister  

25 users have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer being called a brony or a pegasister?

• Brony
    • Pegasister

Chances are you're going to get split answers, thus not really answering anything. lol

I'm really not into MLP:FiM enough to warrant a fandom title, but if I did have one it would certainly be Pegasister. Others can call themselves whatever they want, I suppose, but I can never get behind the 'Brony' title because it is masculine, and I don't want to lend any support to the grating idea of masculinity being the default/neutral.

Where I was born, raised, and live currently, "bro" is gender neutral. Everybody's my bro. If I had to pick one, it'd be brony.

this.

also, I hate the term pegasister.

I've never actually heard the term 'pegasister' used before. Hm.

But yeah, I call myself a brony, my friend calls me and herself a brony, I think it's just been accepted as a general term.

Plus, brony is just much easier to say, and I'm lazy so that's good.

I would be a pegasister. But I don't really care. I'll mostly call myself a brony but on occasion, I'll call myself a pegasister. I don't care which one you call me though. It doesn't really matter. Since brony is universal, it's what I'll use.

this.

also, I hate the term pegasister.

Interesting, why? I only ask, because I made the mistake of observing Social Justice Warriors, which poisoned my PoV on girls preferring "Brony" over "Pegasister." 

Speaking as a guy who's been a geek ever since I learned to spell in Kindergarten, my conclusion was this:"No other fandom has a term that separates gender in the community, so why is it that way with the Brony Community?" 

Though given that there are some who prefer "Pegasister" I'm guessing they don't mind since the bottom line is that they're fans of MLP:FiM and nothing more. Also there's the assumption that many are Fluttershy, RainbowDash, Derpy, Wonderbolt, Thunderlane, or Sisby fans.

I don't really care. What's in a name so long as I'm a fan of MLP?

There are those who claim that the term "brony" is gender neutral and has always been intended as the catch-all term for the entirety of the FiM population. I'm inclined to disagree with that, simply because the masculine word "bro" happens to be in it. It seems that the media likes using "brony" in reference only to the male portion of the fandom as well, so there's always going to be people who dislike the term when referring to the females fans, since many people believe that brony is specifically for males. That's why I'm A-OK with being called a pegasister instead.

On the other hoof, brony just sounds better and is the more widely known and accepted term, and I think that having one name for the population unites us a lot better than splitting us up into "groups" on the basis of gender.

There are pros and cons to both names, but in the end I don't make a fuss over which term is better or more appropriate. Everyone has a preference in the matter, so I'm fine with adopting both names so that everyone is happy.

I kind of see Brony as being an umbrella term for adult (or teenager) aged fans of the series, regardless of gender, and I think maybe that's the way it should be. Why complicate life with more words? Keep it simple folks! 

I'm a pegasister through and through. I like having an identifier that matches better with my feminine gender identity.

I am no bro. XD

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I actually get very annoyed when my friends try to call me a pegasister!

I guess it's not a bad name, not to those who like it, and I have no problem referring to someone as a pegasister if that's what they prefer.

But I cannot stand being called a pegasister.

I don't know why, really, but if I had to try and explain...

1. It's so cheesy-sounding! "Hey girls! I'm a pegasister! *high-pitched giggle*"
  2. It has too many syllables. What's easier to say, brony or pegasister?
  3. It sounds like a name someone pulled out of a hat after two seconds of thought. "So, we've come up with the whole brony thing for us guys, so what should we call the girls?" "Eh, let's call 'em pegasisters." "K."
  4. Bro doesn't have to mean guy. It also can mean really good friend. I've walked up to my female friends before and said, "What's up guys?" before. Yeah, their girls, but I'm not implying they are a boy by saying 'guys'. Same thing with bro. I could walk up to my best female friend and be like, "Hey, bro!" Not implying they're a guy. I'm saying they're my friend.
  5. I just dislike the word pegasister. Brony sounds cool. Pegasister sounds ridiculous.

Now, I don't want any of you who actually like being called pegasister to be offended by this. I'm totally fine with it if you want to refer to yourself as a pegasister, as long as you don't insist on calling me one. ;)

Edited by TheSupremeLeaderOfChaos

i'd prefer it if girls called themselves bronies.

Well, not to be rude, but this isn't about you, and it isn't for you to decide.

As I said I'm not meaning to be rude, but this comment in of itself seemed rude to me, so I had to say something.

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a guy, but I would love being called a pegasister. I can imagine someone coming up to me like "What's up my Pegasistah?" I would love to see what its like if pegasister was the only name.

Neither. I enjoy participating in the fandom and all that, but I'd rather not have yet another label for myself. Plus there's parts of this fandom that I don't want to have a label which people use to associate me with these parts.