Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is anypony else around here into shooting?

M14Brony

when people have a dislike of hunting I tell them this: what would rather eat? A deer that has been free in the world to do what ever it wants or a cow that has been stuck in a pen it's whole life and could do nothing walk through its own crap. So tell me what would you rather eat?

I don't eat meat. :)

I respect everyone else's opinions, please don't gang up on mine because you don't think what I think.

Edited by PinkieDaShy
  • Brohoof 1

Hunting = environmental preservation. Truth.

I am not opposed to hunting and I eat meat.

But that is a truth with modifications. Here in Norway hunters have to keep down the populations because our predators are pretty much been wiped out..So hunters created the problem to begin with.

I have a hunting licence, and I have guns. But would never kill an animal unless its out of mercy(last that happened was a fox that had been hit by a truck..), or in the case of my family starving.

Still remember that moron hunter who hid himself on MY property and was stalking deer that we have roaming around here.. I am happy to say he lost his licence and had his guns confiscated, some people should not have guns.

And for you americans, personally I dont think owning guns should be a right, but a privilege you have to earn.

But I dont, nor will I ever consider hunting a sport. A activity sure, but not a sport.

• Brohoof 1

Yes I do like shooting. Mostly target (starting trap soon) and my favorite rifle (I own) is the Mini-14, a smaller version of the M14. But I'm not much of a gun collector, because I rarely go to the range.

I have an older Ruger Mini-14 as well, and I find it to be a solid rifle.

While the Ruger Mini-14 seems to have been inspired by the M14, the Mini-14 is not actually a downsized M14. For instance, the bolt on the Mini-14 lacks the roller mechanism on the M14's bolt (it is more similar to the bolt of the M1 Garand in this regard). Furthermore, the M14's gas system utilizes a gas piston that impinges on the operating rod, while the Mini-14 lacks a gas piston and its gas port simply uses the gases of combustion to drive back what the Mini-14 manual terms as a "slide." While this "slide" looks nothing like an operating rod in the M14, if anything, it is more similar to the operating rod in an M1 Garand (of course, it looks nothing like the operating rod in an M1 Garand either), given that this "slide", like the M1 Garand's operating rod, is simply driven back by the gases coming from the gas port; no gas piston is used in either the Mini-14 or the M1 Garand.

I don't eat meat. :)

I respect everyone else's opinions, please don't gang up on mine because you don't think what I think.

No offense, but this comes off as rather hypocritical when you previously said this:

Absolutely NOT. Hunting is the stupidest "sport" ever, unless you actually need the food. What's the fun in killing helpless animals?

I just don't like the idea of guns in general :S

(edited)

I absolutely love shooting, both as a sport and hunting.

I'm a member of the Adelaide Archery Club and have my own Longbow. 40lb draw weight at 28in. Its absolutely beautiful, and possibly my most prized possession.

I go to two different firearm clubs, one at a place called Castambul, where they do Black power Shooting with old colonial muskets and conversion rifles, and one closer to the city where they do .22 prone shooting.

I'm looking at getting my own Anschutz target rifle, just with ironsights. (scopes are for lazy people)

Finally I'm a member of the Adelaide University Gliding Club. What does this have to do with shooting you ask? Everything! Since we fly gliders over in the Murray Floodplains, I and a few other like-minded people managed to get farmers firearm licenses, and we go 'spotlighting' for rabbits with Lee Enfields and the like.

[rant]

Gun laws in Australia are stupid. Really, really stupid in my opinion. People are paranoid about owning guns, and anti-gun groups have a LOT of leverage here.

I'm of the opinion that if criminals an get shotguns, assault rifles and whatever else on the black market, I should at the very least be able to buy a Lee Enfield Mk4.

Airsoft and BB guns are illegal in Australia. AIRSOFT GUNS! Yet I can quite happily own a .70cal (18mm) black powder musket no problems 'cause I'm a member of the Castambul Historical Shooting Club.

What the hell?

[/rant]

Edited by Raptor_a22

Ohh I love marksmanship on several levels, While I own a few, nothing to rare, I do have a formidable arsenal. I'm not as much into hunting, simply because I don't have a heart for harming animals in anyway, except feral boars whom have killed nearby ranchers.

Other than that, I'm at peace with just about every living creature.

As part of my past job requirement, I was required to become familiarized with a side arm and shotgun, so I pursued the route by purchasing my first sidearm, my Beretta PX4 Storm .40, and a Remington 870 Magnum Express. And was the only girl to attend the commissions course. I also pursued further education in urban rifle training with my DPMS AR15 DCM national match rifle. (also used for competitions)

I also took up Archery with my friend, and while I'm not particularly good at it, I aim to become batter. As well as throwing knives. :P

• Brohoof 1

I'm a deer/turkey hunter so I'm not stranger to rifles, muzzleloaders, or shotguns. BUT I'm more of a bow kinda girl. :) Anyway...I do like shooting them.

--snip--

That's my baby right there. :3

Compound shooters...

BAH

I shoot Longbow

• Brohoof 1

Oh I love longbows and prefer them, but this is more efficient for my little seated tree stand. :)

Just making a joke. You know, typical bow type rivalry. Just like the 'Pony XYZ is best pony' stuff.

Longbw is best bow

Edited by DJ Raptor
  • Brohoof 2

Compound shooters...

BAH

I shoot Longbow

Lol, I feel the same way, love my longbows & my composite ones(mongolian & scythian). Personally I have tried compounds, but a bow with sights,pulleys and a trigger mechanism is not a "proper" bow :lol:

But we archers have to stick together nomatter what type of bow we use :P

• Brohoof 1

I know absolutely nothing about guns. And I remembered an old concern of mine yesterday night. Figured this would be the place to ask a question as stupid as this.

How do scopes work?

I know they are meant for aiming, but they are placed above where the bullet comes out. So if you were looking at the center of the sight, wouldn't you be looking slightly above where you'd actually be shooting? This is the worst question ever and I feel terrible for asking it.

I know absolutely nothing about guns. And I remembered an old concern of mine yesterday night. Figured this would be the place to ask a question as stupid as this.

How do scopes work?

I know they are meant for aiming, but they are placed above where the bullet comes out. So if you were looking at the center of the sight, wouldn't you be looking slightly above where you'd actually be shooting? This is the worst question ever and I feel terrible for asking it.

There are no stupid questions ;)

That is why it is important to adjust the scope correctly. Simply put, if you fire at the target and see that the shot is placed high, you adjust it a couple of clicks down and try again, until its dead center. There are screws for both horisontal and vertical adjustment.

So yes, the sights are above the barrel, but that is the case with most weapons and that has been taken into consideration.

Edited by Magnus
  • Brohoof 1

How do scopes work?

There are no stupid questions.

Scopes are 'zeroed' at a particular distance. For example, if I zero my scope for 100m, and aim at a target 100m away, the bullet (ignoring weather conditions like windage and etc.) will hit exactly where the scope is indicating.

When you make a vertical adjustment, you are changing the zero distance.

Hope that answered your question.

EDIT: The scope isn't actually pointing horizontal. It points slightly 'down'. Some shooters use a special laser pointer that fits into the barrel, then use that to 'aim' the scope.

Edited by DJ Raptor

(edited)

I only had access to a 25 yard range today, but I handloaded a few .308 rounds, and I just wanted to see if they would function well in my M1A (proper feeding, no slamfires, etc.), so I went shooting today. Needless to say, the handloads worked flawlessly, so I must be doing something right. Unfortunately, most of the brass went over the firing line, so I could not retrieve it. I then used some Russian made steel cased .308 to plink around with after using the handloads (I got this ammo for a mere 30 cents a round some time ago, so I have have a decent stash of it, and I use it for basic plinking).

I also rented a Coonan Classic. 357, and I was thoroughly impressed with it. :) It is a shame that I do not have a spare $1250.00 lying around, as I would buy one of those guns if I did (I am broke after recently buying an M1 Garand, a Vz.52 rifle, and some reloading/handloading apparatus).

Edited by M14Brony

(edited)

I have not done this on a massive scale, but I have "ponified" the following gun in a certain sense by naming it Trixie:

Posted Image

The gun in question is a Romanian Draco AK pistol (based on the AIMR), and given that it fires the 7.62X39mm round out of that short barrel, the gun is rather loud and gives off quite the muzzle flash. It is definitely a great and powerful gun, given that it is classified as a pistol.

It would be interesting if I got around to getting some custom work done on the gun (perhaps Trixie and her cutie mark somewhere).

I decided to get myself an AK-74 (seventy-four, not forty-seven) style rifle, as I wanted to take advantage of the cheap 7N6 surplus 5.45X39mm ammunition (this is perhaps the cheapest centerfire ammunition around). I avoided the Polish Tantals built by Century, as some of those guns have had issues with out-of-spec bores that cause keyholing, so I opted for a Russian made Saiga 5.45 sporting rifle, given that these rifles come off the same assembly lines as Russia's military AK's and they have hammer forged, chrome lined barrels. I converted this rifle back to a true AK configuration last Spring (this gun is 922r compliant and perfectly legal), and it proved to be an interesting and educational experience:

Posted Image

I used my tax returns to get the following (in addition to reloading/handloading apparatus):

Springfield Armory M1 Garand (CMP Service Grade):

Posted Image

Czech Vz.52 rifle converted to use 7.62X39mm via chamber sleeve:

Posted Image

Edited by M14Brony

• 7 years later...