Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Which movie ruined everything? I'm talking about the CGI revolution.

TheMarkz0ne

19 users have voted

1. 1. The movie that started the CG fad?

• Transformers(2007)

I love both of those movies so I refuse to vote.  :P

Sure CGI isn't fantastic, but I think both of those movies did a good job with it. Not really a big fan of the transformers sequels though, and I haven't seen the newest one yet.

With movies like alvin and the smurfs they really shouldnhave made the whole movie cgi aniamtion. I think if it was simply a 3d cartoon they could have made it fun and avoides the disturbing look of sentiant realistic look chipmunks. Dreamworks probally could have done an amazing thing with both franchises.

I wouldn't have minded so much, if they made them cute like how they were in the cartoons.  Their whole appeal was that they were cute, and they took that away and made them sing ridiculous pop songs.

I wouldn't have minded so much, if they made them cute like how they were in the cartoons.  Their whole appeal was that they were cute, and they took that away and made them sing ridiculous pop songs.

Those movies were cash grabs sadly so they went with what wqad deemed relevant culture at the time. Sadly this happens alot with classics.

Pretty sure the fad started earlier than either of those movies. Personally, I'm not opposed to CGI as a means of touching up environments and making things generally look pretty, but I can't stand fully CG characters and objects in otherwise live action settings. A lot of people might argue that the Transformers in the Bay films look realistic, but I can't help but see a video game cutscene when I look at them. I can't describe what it it is, but I can just detect when there was really a physical object onscreen, and when something was Photoshopped in.

I will most likely see the movie tonight. Though I haven't seen Thor 2 so I might not get any references from those movies.

TM0, Guardians of the Galaxy?

Altough I liked both, I'll vote for Avatar since I liked Transformers better and I feel Avatar relied more on it's special effects. Not neccesarily a bad thing, tough.

I wonder when's the next Transformers movie...

Pretty sure the fad started earlier than either of those movies. Personally, I'm not opposed to CGI as a means of touching up environments and making things generally look pretty, but I can't stand fully CG characters and objects in otherwise live action settings. A lot of people might argue that the Transformers in the Bay films look realistic, but I can't help but see a video game cutscene when I look at them. I can't describe what it it is, but I can just detect when there was really a physical object onscreen, and when something was Photoshopped in.

I get what you're saying, but I have a feeling (and I'll use a recent example here) Guardians of the Galaxy with practical effects for Rocket and Groot would have seemed ridiculous for the wrong reasons and wouldn't have really worked.

• Brohoof 1

I like CGI as long as it's done right. *cough* Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes *cough*

Dear lord ... YES! Every yes that exists in the Kingdom of Yes!

*cough* I mean, good point.

• Brohoof 1

Dear lord ... YES! Every yes that exists in the Kingdom of Yes!

*cough* I mean, good point.

Especially Maurice (the orangutan). We're really getting to that point where, if done right, we won't be able to tell CGI apart from the real thing. A behind the scenes look at this would definitely be interesting.

Honestly, I'd be inclined to believe it was neither of these, but instead Jurassic Park. This was the movie that showed what CGI could do, and everyone knew it was cheaper. And it's really a shame such a great movie left behind a legacy of laziness. You'll notice how CGI picked up massively after Jurrasic Park, so I think that movie is the one to blame. It just wasn't really really bad until maybe 2000 with movies like Godzilla.

I don't think CGI ruins movies directly, since many times they prioritize it over the a good script, characters and story, worst of all, most of the time they're badly done and animated. There are exceptions like the goddamn Batman, Marvel Cinematic Universe...

What do people have against CGI animation. They not being lazy using CGI for live action action, it more easier to do and not too expensive. animatronics  and models are expensive, they just can't have people in costumes which are also expensive to made. CGI help into improve movie. Yes are some bad movie, but it doesn't mean they ruin movie. People want to use different alternative. The transformers is CGI for a reason, you really the transformers to look for something from Power Rangers ? Let not forget that they're suppose to be a highly advance alien race, so their transformation have to look complex. CGI does take a lot of work with the detailing and rendering. 

I think Avatar started the 3D fad. Not sure what is really wrong with Cgi I loved both these movies and never understood the hate.I even liked the newest one

Same here.  Avatar was supposed to be revolutionizing 3D cinematography, not CGI.  It still uses CGI, but what movie doesn't now a days?

I am pretty sure there were bad movies, including those of the style over substance variety, before CGI became widespread.  Sometimes filmmakers will make films correctly through proper writing, dialogue, acting, directing and effects, and sometimes they are just going to use effects and cinematic tricks to create a fireworks show in the guise of a movie.   It is a consequence of human nature and not the technology and I imagine we will be dealing with this as long as movies are made.

I'll give the first person to name the first Pixar CGI movie 403020 muffins!

Also, the correct answer is Avatar(The one based on the Nickelodeon show). THAT ruined everything. I know it wasn't CGI(was it?!) but it just...NO, NO I DON'T WANT TO REMEMBER!!!

Edited by Pixel Media

• 3 weeks later...

Both Tranformers and Avatar have amazing CGI effects, but shit story. Avatar might be one of James Cameron's weakest, cause, he's a good director.

Transformers has the better CGI for me but it's a Michael Bay movie.

Really hard question.