Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

web Forums vs. Facebook

RainbowMau

(edited)

The Rarity groups and pages on Facebook are often vacant, and The only one that wasn't vacant would not be approved by Rarity. Her grammar and spelling is completely terrible, and she is very OOC. 

The problem in Facebook groups are that are more open to trolls whine forums are more private, I recently left a Pokémon group in Facebook cause it has been spamed by lots of trolls, I still remind one who had been uploading a series of pics of his penis (NO JOKING!!!) :eww:

Edited by RainbowMau
  • Brohoof 1

I follow the forums more than FB. If I want to check up on my friends and family, I can do that on facebook. If I want to feel Acknowledged and Appreciated, I go to the forums, also to interact more than on facebook. Also Steam is for..... both? you can meet people ingame and be very friendly, but if you're not careful, 

You will be HOOKED, LINED, AND SUNK! aka. phishers. Remember, constant vigilance.  :okiedokielokie: 

I have one family facebook for posting pics of my baby for faraway family members, and another facebook for only internet friends where i pretty much dump all my pictures of my birds and cat.  lol

I don't really talk on there much unless someone messages me.

You do have to see it to be able to do that. Maybe you can say you don't want to see that anymore, but you will have to see it in the first place.

Thank you! You took the words out of my mouth! :smug:

You do have to see it to be able to do that. Maybe you can say you don't want to see that anymore, but you will have to see it in the first place.

You're missing the point... He's comparing Facebook to MLP Forums. Facebook has the same blocking capability the forums have with the added feature of preventing similar posts to ones you don't like from appearing in the future.

• Brohoof 2

I think each has its place. I use my facebook for keeping in touch with friends real friends, not "facebook friends." I also use it to keep in touch with family. As far as forums go, this is the only one I'm active on, as many others are just filled with immature users, who ruin it for everyone else.

The Rarity groups and pages on Facebook are often vacant, and The only one that wasn't vacant would not be approved by Rarity. She has poor spelling and grammar, and she is very OOC. 

I had a Rarity group called "The Fabulous Society of Rarifans" But no one does anything there. 

There are a lot of Rarity fans on the forums, but not so much on Facebook. 

So I agree with you. The forums are better because there is more Rarity. 

Never really thought that facebook was a very good place to participate in the fandom, to be honest. You've got pretty much the whole wide web at your fingertips, given how widespread this fandom is :D 

I think you'll find the copious amount of Rarity love that I passive-aggressively force people to feel so they won't have to endure my wrath on these forums will suit you just fine :please:

• Brohoof 1

I only use facebook for close friends and family; plus I have friends that have moved away to other states and facebook is just the most convenient route of talking to them from time to time.  But, I hardly ever log on to facebook.  Especially after joining this forum.  I'm on here basically every day.  

Someday a friend told me that people is using less forums an more Facebook, looks like it's better for expressing yourself but not for interacting, why?

- If you have no friends you can't interact

- If you have no friends they won't read what you post

- No matter how many people you have as friends, they can still ignore your posts

- You can be friends with someone for years and still don't know you

- Your friends will only reply when you type something offensive.

- If you think different from your friends, they won't read your posts.

Also, not everything is about being social since in Facebook:

- You can't avoid what you don't want to read

- No matter how good person you are, if you post your opinion in a page topic and it's opposite to the rest you're treated as shit.

- You read what you never wanted to read from your friends.

- You see photos you never wanted to see from your friends.

- You read what you never wanted to know about your friends.

- Your friends can have strong opinions and you can't contradict them because IT'S THEIR FUCKING POSTS and they don't want to reat that in them.

- Everyone has strong opinions and it's OK, I have strong opinions and everyone treats me as shit.

I've been more socially successful in forums while in Facebook I've simply failed, but that's just me. What's your opinion?

pretty much~ that's a lot of problems I see with Facebook. A lot of people spew their garbage and air it out on that site, you're forced to see it, but a person can determine when not to reply to something... at least, that's what I do. 

And if someone leaves a post on my page that embarrasses me, I just delete it without saying anything. I generally try and keep my conduct as neutral as possible on there. 

Didn't really spend much time on Facebook much until I started using the chat feature. 

I tend to unwind on forums during the night time. Old gen mlp forum, and this gen mlp forum

Then deviantArt is just my main art gallery for everything. 

I used to have a Facebook in high school, but I deleted my account because I was getting threatened by people.

I don't see any good coming out of Facebook aside from staying in contact with friends or family.

Besides that, it's a breeding ground for drama, rumors, etc.

I only use Facebook to browse some thematic pages interesting for me (mainly about history) and to contact with some closer friends (I don't accept friend requests from people I don't know presonally or don't know well).

I fully agree with this opinion:

The anonymity makes it easier for sure. The biggest advantage is that forums are dedicated to discussion of a certain subject. The specialization produces better discussions, because that's where the people who want to have those discussion will be attracted.
  • Brohoof 1

Never really thought that facebook was a very good place to participate in the fandom, to be honest. You've got pretty much the whole wide web at your fingertips, given how widespread this fandom is :D 

I think you'll find the copious amount of Rarity love that I passive-aggressively force people to feel so they won't have to endure my wrath on these forums will suit you just fine :please:

its kinda hard to find fandoms that you can take seriously over the internet ghostfacekiller :/ I was part of a fandom for rarity, supernatural, pokemon and rainbow loom and unfortunately only the rainbow loom group was the group that took itself seriously, the other groups were kinda just blank pages that did nothing after a while but the forums are awesome here cause I can talk about pretty much any fandom (though mainly ponies :3) and its good to make new friends by talking about the things I like with other people who like the same stuff

I'm a bit biased here but from a strictly practical standpoint, forums are far more useful than Facebook.  Want to be able to post status updates?  We have them here.  Want to post longer things about what's going on in your life?  We have blog posts... you're going to be stuck with just writing a giant stretched out message for the most part on Facebook.  Want to interact with other people?  Here we have organized topic based discussions, but on Facebook you have to just post a message on whatever you want to talk about and hope it doesn't get lost in the millions of miles of other posts on your friend's accounts.  Want to keep track of your friends?  We have a friend list.  Private messenger?  Yep.  Want to talk with a group of friends at once in private?  Facebook you have to build a page and leave it up as a monument... here you can just start a group PM.

The big thing a site like Facebook really offers you is the amount of users.  If you're just looking for bronies, MLPF is fantastic of course, but a site like Facebook has such a broad user base that you can connect with everybody.  It's the same reason Twitter is popular... the functionality of Twitter is pretty limited and terrible, it's just the size of the user base and its simplicity that people benefit from.

So yeah, forums will always be more functional and have more things you can do than most other social networking sites, but at the end of the day people want the brand name.

I'd say those features are way much better in forums, in forums you can meet new people through that way, while in Facebook you can only do it with your friends.

- No matter how good person you are, if you post your opinion in a page topic and it's opposite to the rest you're treated as shit.
Implying people won't treat you like shit here? They would if they could get away with it... some of them do... why do you think people get banned here? There are a-holes here too.

- You read what you never wanted to read from your friends. - You see photos you never wanted to see from your friends. - You read what you never wanted to know about your friends.
Not unless you block them or filter your notification or your wall e.t.c. to not show you from these people stuff.

- Your friends can have strong opinions and you can't contradict them because IT'S THEIR FUCKING POSTS and they don't want to reat that in them. - Everyone has strong opinions and it's OK, I have strong opinions and everyone treats me as shit.
That's just the community and the rules it has. People on facebook can be as abusive as they want. The difference is here they won't get away with it for long.

It all depends however on what kind of forums you are in.

I have a facebook account, but only to keep myself updated with news from bands I listen to and to talk with my friends. That website is full of stupidity, spambots and idiots who attempt to troll others and only friends keep me from removing my account. Facebook is social website at its worst and some of my "friends" have proven that deep inside they are jerks when they are safe in their rooms. Overall it is great as a place to talk in with Your family and friends, but it has no other use. 

Actually I might even remove my facebook soon. All of my friends have either skype or steam or an account on one polish communicator and they are only people who keep me on that website. I won't miss it for a second. 

Now forums... of course it can't be treated like facebook as here we talk with people who we know only from internet, but atmosphere overall is a lot friendlier. Stupidity is much less common, so are viruses. It is just better place, when You want to talk on the internet. You can discuss here various stuff without having to be afraid of some random troll bashing You or destroying the discussion with stupid comments and it is less likely to be judged here over trivial aspects of Your life. I don't regret becoming member of this community and probably never will. And it definitely is better than facebook. 

Ps. Am I the only one who does not even have complete profile on fb? I love how that website is like UPDATE EMAIL! UPDATE SCHOOL! UPDATE WORK! And I am like "no" xD 

Facebook pros

1. Trolls are found out instantly and have to leave
  2. You can choose to never see someone you don't like post
  3. Easy to embed links, videos, photos takes a lot less time
  4. Easy to network naturally for business and informal meetups

Forum pros:

1. You can drunkpost without your friends knowing about it
  2. You can discuss uber-nerdy topics in detail without being judged
  3. You can share as many links as you want without being accused of spamming
  4. You can be whoever you want to be 
  5. You aren't vilified by the group when you have a strong unpopular opinion
Edited by Gamer Twilight