Are Bronies also Furries?

Yummychickenblue

Do Bronies count as furries?  

131 users have voted

1. 1. Do Bronies count as furries?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe, depending on you look at it.

Furry and Brony are two entirely different things. Bronies are fans of MLP, Furries are fans of furry art (usually anthro). It's like saying that anyone who is a fan of art is into cartoons, and vice versa. Also, I don't care for the furry lifestyle, they seem to have their own little circlejerk communities where certain people can eat them, and way too much yaoi art (that's done tastelessly may I add). That's just my opinion though, so don't take it personal.

I don't mind furry art if done tastefully, I just mind the darker side of furry culture.

Furry and Brony are two entirely different things. Bronies are fans of MLP, Furries are fans of furry art (usually anthro). It's like saying that anyone who is a fan of art is into cartoons, and vice versa. Also, I don't care for the furry lifestyle, they seem to have their own little circlejerk communities where certain people can eat them, and way too much yaoi art (that's done tastelessly may I add). That's just my opinion though, so don't take it personal.

I don't mind furry art if done tastefully, I just mind the darker side of furry culture.

I could argue the 'darker side' of this fandom's art is just as tasteless. Although I don't want to go into details for obvious reasons.

I could argue the 'darker side' of this fandom's art is just as tasteless. Although I don't want to go into details for obvious reasons.

Let's just say that something involving anal vore and lube is considered tame in the furry community. Although I do admit, a lot of the r34 for MLP can be equally tasteless.

From my understanding (which may be mistaken), furries are those who actively cosplay as various animals and anthro characters. Certainly, there are those within the brony community who cosplay as ponies or anthro ponies, and those may arguably be a sub-category of furries, but I don't think that applies to the fandom as a whole.

From my understanding (which may be mistaken), furries are those who actively cosplay as various animals and anthro characters. Certainly, there are those within the brony community who cosplay as ponies or anthro ponies, and those may arguably be a sub-category of furries, but I don't think that applies to the fandom as a whole.

Furries are simply people who take an interest in anthropomorphic animals.

Furries are simply people who take an interest in anthropomorphic animals.

Ah, I see! Well, it's true that the ponies in MLP are technically anthropomorphic, but somewhat subtly so and only in their sentience and intelligence, not their physical appearance. Tons of animated Disney movies prominently feature anthropomorphic animals (such as Lion King for a prime example), as does the entire Narnia series, but I'd hardly categorize all fans of the Lion King or Narnia as furries, even all hardcore fans. It may only be my own personal view, but I tend to think of furries as distinct in their interest in physically anthropomorphic animals.

It depends how you look at it.

Personally, I think the fandoms have similarities but I don't think they're exactly alike. To consider the brony fandom a sub fandom doesn't quite work because as others mentioned the fandom originated on it's own without influence of the furry fandom. I'm sure some Furries became bronies via watching MLP but that doesn't make MLP a furry related show. When you tell someone you watch MLP the persons reaction from my experience is always "So you're a brony." not "So you're a furry." The two fandoms are their own thing.

Also consider that when you say the Brony fandom is a sub genre you're saying that in general we are all Furries or originated from that or vise verca. I know more bronies than I do Furries. A number of those bronies prefer not to be called a Furry when they're not one.

• Brohoof 2

I do not think so. Someone can enjoy mlp and not be a furry, they are two very different things.

Edited by Feather Wind

• 4 months later...

Let me just give something for everyone to think about for a moment:

ANYONE can be counted as a furry.

Because a furry is someone who is a fan of anthropomorphic animal characters. MLP:FiM characters are anthropomorphic animal characters.

That is all I need to say.

EDIT: A few days ago I started considering myself to be a furry, by the way.

Edited by Tera The Unicorn
  • Brohoof 2

Do MLP characters really count as anthopomorphic?

For the most part, they walk around on all fours and move like normal horses would. They only stand and move around like humans when it's necessary or convenient; as in for jokes or for function. I thought anthropomorphic meant that the animals in question normally have a human-like stance, movement, and perhaps similar appendages (hands and feet instead of claws, hoofs, or whatever). A prime example would be characters like Sonic the Hedgehog, Banjo from Banjo from Banjo-Kazooie, Star Fox, Sly Cooper, etc.

• Brohoof 1

Furries are associated with having beastiality related fantasys hence the fur suits. Not to put tooo finer a point on it but furrydom is about a sexual fetish and people go to conventions to hook up. MLP fans don't want to be part of thathence why we have seperate cons.

Maybe I'm misreading but are you implying that the furry fandom is purely a fetish fandom? Cuz...it's really not. It has a higher concentration of NSFW material than most other fandoms but there are legitimately non-sexual furries, both in characters and in fans.

Do MLP characters really count as anthopomorphic?

For the most part, they walk around on all fours and move like normal horses would. They only stand and move around like humans when it's necessary or convenient; as in for jokes or for function. I thought anthropomorphic meant that the animals in question normally have a human-like stance, movement, and perhaps similar appendages (hands and feet instead of claws, hoofs, or whatever). A prime example would be characters like Sonic the Hedgehog, Banjo from Banjo from Banjo-Kazooie, Star Fox, Sly Cooper, etc.

They're practically the definition of anthropomorphism. Giving human characteristics to anything that does not typically have them whether it's a living being or inanimate object.

The ponies in the show may walk around like ponies and have the same diets (sorta) but everything from their personalities to their society is more human than animal.

• Brohoof 3

The ponies in the show are not anthromorphic, by the very definition of that word.

anthro = human

morph = i don´t know the exact word in english, but it means something like "form"

it basically refers to animals that have distinctive anatomical characteristics that only humans have.

This does not refer to things like being able to speak, being able to have social relationships etc.

It´s also why we have "anthro" versions of the characters in the community.(which is very confusing, since "anthro" itself is not just a shorter version of "anthromorphic".

Edited by Sceethe

The ponies in the show are not anthromorphic, by the very definition of that word.

anthro = human

morph = i don´t know the exact word in english, but it means something like "form"

it basically refers to animals that have distinctive anatomical characteristics that only humans have.

This does not refer to things like being able to speak, being able to think etc.

That's not the definition I know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropomorphism

One search on Bing and I came up with five different sites with the same definition.

It's more than just anatomy. It applies to behaviors as well. For all intents and purposes the ponies are human except for the fact that they aren't physically so.

I don't know where you got the idea that it applies only to animals and only as anatomy.

• Brohoof 2

Furries are associated with having beastiality related fantasys hence the fur suits. Not to put tooo finer a point on it but furrydom is about a sexual fetish and people go to conventions to hook up. MLP fans don't want to be part of thathence why we have seperate cons.

That's not really true. The furry fandom is pretty broad. For some, it's about running aroun in a costume as a form of escapism. Some people just like animal characters. It doesn't have to be sexual. In fact, some flurries would probably argue that the ones only in it for the fetish are the minority.

It's true that some (like me) are mostly in it for the fetish, but to say that it's the whole point is incorrect.

anthro = human

This does not refer to things like being able to speak, being able to have social relationships etc.

It´s also why we have "anthro" versions of the characters in the community.(which is very confusing, since "anthro" itself is not just a shorter version of "anthromorphic".

Anthropomorphic refers to anything that is giving human characteristics. Speech is a human characteristic. Therefor, mlp characters are anthropomorphic. Edited by Banul
  • Brohoof 5

That's not really true. The furry fandom is pretty broad. For some, it's about running aroun in a costume as a form of escapism. Some people just like animal characters. It doesn't have to be sexual. In fact, some flurries would probably argue that the ones only in it for the fetish are the minority.

It's true that some (like me) are mostly in it for the fetish, but to say that it's the whole point is incorrect.

Anthropomorphic refers to anything that is giving human characteristics. Speech is a human characteristic. Therefor, mlp characters are anthropomorphic.

As far as animation goes the less realistic something looks the easier it is to express emotion and thought. This applies to artstyle as much as it does character design.

With non-human characters it becomes extremely easy since unlike humans they have free-moving ears, tails and fur/scales to express any emotion they want on top of not needing to strictly keep to proportions. That's why cartoon characters often stretch their faces and bodies to unrealistic levels.

Furry characters, as well as the MLP characters, are free to express themselves since we can't/don't have to see them as realistic humans and look for hard-to-see physical cues to understand what they're feeling without them having to say it.

For that reason furries are preferred by some because of their ability to tell a story and make a scene in a way that's easier to understand than in a human character. In a way it makes those characters more relatable than human characters.

• Brohoof 3

Anthropomorphic refers to anything that is giving human characteristics. Speech is a human characteristic. Therefor, mlp characters are anthropomorphic.

The word 'anthropomorphic' means 'human shape'.  I don't see how that definition can extend to non-physical characteristics.

• Brohoof 1

The word 'anthropomorphic' means 'human shape'.  I don't see how that definition can extend to non-physical characteristics.

The same way the word "gay" can mean "happy" or "jovial" as much as it can be slang for "homosexual". Words and language evolve over time. One word can mean several things in spite of its origins, especially when alternative use becomes widespread.

• Brohoof 2

The word 'anthropomorphic' means 'human shape'. I don't see how that definition can extend to non-physical characteristics.

Human form and/or human attributes, yes.

Look it up in the dictionary, if you must.

Edited by Banul

Human form and/or human attributes, yes.

If we really wanna get down and dirty we can argue over whether form strictly means visible parts or a general configuration of pieces to make a whole. If the latter than anatomy is only one part of that whole. :D

LANGUAGE IS FUN.

• Brohoof 1

The same way the word "gay" can mean "happy" or "jovial" as much as it can be slang for "homosexual". Words and language evolve over time. One word can mean several things in spite of its origins, especially when alternative use becomes widespread.

There are also people who can argue that words can mean whatever you want them to mean, thus it's okay to use them however you please. But if we all followed that logic, then we'd devolve into a nonsense language that has no rules, no patterns, and might as well just be a series of random moans and grunts. So even if the meaning of words can change over time, having a little bit of uniformity helps, even if it's just for a brief moment in time. We all live in the moment.  :)

If we really wanna get down and dirty we can argue over whether form strictly means visible parts or a general configuration of pieces to make a whole. If the latter than anatomy is only one part of that whole. :D

LANGUAGE IS FUN.

...You're doing that on purpose, aren't you?

MLP fans generally are just fans of the show. Furries on the other hand, tend to lean towards bestiality, to the point at which it stops being a hobby and starts to get creepy (e.g, furry R34, fursuiting, etc.). 

• Brohoof 1