Yummychickenblue

Do Bronies count as furries?  

131 users have voted

1. 1. Do Bronies count as furries?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe, depending on you look at it.

Hey Forums!

A thread was made asking about people who are furries and bronies which started an argument on whether or not bronies count as furries. I'm making this thread so that people can discuss this without bombarding the original thread where the OP was seeking out fellow furries.

Edited by Yummychickenblue
  • Brohoof 2

Debate Pit is reserved for topics not about the Brony Fandom like religion and politics.  This thread seems to be aimed at discussing the brony fandom so it is being moved to Sugarcube Corner.

Well, a lot of furries really really don't like Bronies. Now, I'm both Furry, AND Brony (Which confuses people, because many think you must be one or the other) I've gotten a bit of hate from the furry community for being  brony. I think they're two completely different fandoms.

• Brohoof 1

For some reason, some folks zealously believe so. However, while the structures of the two fandoms are similar, they are still two separate vehicles that are traveling entirely different paths.

• Brohoof 1

I don't consider myself a furry. I do not take partake in the furry fandom and would not like to be considered a subgenre of a fandom I'm not in. Simple as that.

• Brohoof 7

It's a perception thing not part of some Fandom Taxonomic Nomenclature. It's not like this

Furry > Yiffer > Furfan > Plushie > Brony

Some Furries are Bronies. Some aren't

Some Bronies are Furries. Some aren't

Look at it this way. I can like Star Wars but hate Sci-Fi. How? Because while they share elements SW can be considered a Fantasy or Epic as well.

And once again, legal disclosure statement required by Jeric and Jeric law firm ... I have no issues with the Furry Fandom whatsoever.

• Brohoof 4

I think there's some crossover between the two fandoms, but I don't think bronies are a part of the furry fandom. Mostly, I don't think we should categorize it as such, because I don't think many bronies would consider themselves as furries.

When it comes to fandoms, I've always believed that you shouldn't be given labels that you don't want. A furry is a furry if they think of themselves that way, not because somebody says that they are. Same with bronies.

• Brohoof 3

Do oranges count as a type of apple? By relating the two fandoms for silly reasons you're stating that apples are the same as oranges, y'know what I mean? Anyways, I guess I'm a part of the Furry and Brony community so in my case, yes.

Also why two options? Things are rarely if ever that cut and dry, especially with artistic and tastes and community identification.

• Brohoof 1

The bronies are a fandom. A fandom cannot be a sub-genre. And they're not a sub-fandom because Bronydom is simply a fandom by itself, one which started and grew independently of the Furries. Also, if Bronydom was to count as a sub-fandom of the Furries, then all bronies would be considered a specific kind of Furry. And if that's the way you want to look at it, then there's nothing I can say to stop that; it's a matter of your preferred definitions of "Furry," I guess, but I think a Furry should be defined as a fan of anthropomorphic animals AND someone who identifies themselves as a Furry. If they don't consider themselves a Furry, they're not a Furry. So no, I don' think Bronies can or should count as a subset of the Furry fandom.

Edited by Cork Top
  • Brohoof 5

If a brony makes an anthro-pony, wears anthro-pony costume or is really fond of pictures/whatnot of the above, s/he is a (potentially limited scope) furry.

If not, no.

[if I missed a furry category, it's not that I'm wrong, just that I thought I had all the categories]

• Brohoof 1

I was in that other topic, but it's still a no for me.

There is some crossover, but there are a lot of differences between Bronies and Furries. Namely, that Bronies are a fandom around a show first and foremost, while Furries are not centered around a particular show.

• Brohoof 1

As me being a furry. I don't count this as sub-genre of furries. This fandom should be a different fandom. Furries are people who certainly represent themselves as animals. Like one person is a fox, horse, dragon, ...etc & they had their own fictional world to live in. I know ponies are animals. But unlike furries, everybody should be represented as an animal that lives in the world of equestria. Another thing that, bronies get the influence of liking ponies and others from FIM only. Furries were based on different cartoons. Cartoons of which has animals with human bodies. I can't remember what shows which the fandom is based on. But this is my 2 cents on why it can't be a sub-genre of Furries. :P

Considering the brony fandom is based on a show that people come together to enjoy, and the furry fandom is a group of people based on peoples love for animals. Two different subjects completely. It's like trying to call people who watch anime furries because they cosplay. 

Considering the brony fandom is based on a show that people come together to enjoy, and the furry fandom is a group of people based on peoples love for animals. Two different subjects completely. It's like trying to call people who watch anime furries because they cosplay. 

You can't forget the both fandoms have "OCs" and ponies are cartoon animals.

Bronies aren't the same as furries, but they could be considered as a sub-genre

ponies-at-anthrocon.jpg

• Brohoof 2

All squares are rectangles but not all rectangles are squares.

And It depends on how you define the colloquial term "furry". If you define it as someone with an interest in anthropormorphic animals, then bronies could be classified as a sub-speices of furry as they do have an interest in non human animals with human traits. But if you do not use that definition then bronies may not be a sub-catogory of furry.

Well really no or sorta I can't say we are a sub-genre of the furries but I can say we are quite (close) to the furry fandom soo yes and no.

I'm a bit of a furry myself

Edited by Everleaf