Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you have have separate canons?

Zoraxe

In regards to the expanded universe, do you consider each individual thing either canon or noncanon, or do you keep separate canons?

For instance, I head canon the show, Equestria Girls, Cadance being born a Pegasus, and the Celestia Micro Comic and some other things to be the main canon. I consider the comics written by Katie Cook to be their own canon, and I consider the comics written by Heather Nuhfer to be their own canon separate too.

I consider Equestria Girls to be apart of the main canon, but I know a lot of fans don't consider it canon.

Edit- I just realized I forgot the word 'you' in the title meant to say 'Do you have separate canons?'. And I misspelled 'separate', darn it!

Edited by Zoraxe

I include the comics within the central canon; same for books. I also have a habit of connecting fanfictions within the canon, but only if it would be feasible within the show and wouldn't alter anything. A Light in the Dark, for instance, would fit in the show canon to me.

I include the show and the movie in the "central canon". I tried to read the comics, but I found them so different from the show/movie, so I don't consider them canon.

Edited by Blobulle

Since the comics are "official" comics, I consider them canon along with the show and movie.

I don't like the comics though, they are so different from the show and the drawing looks really cheap.

I include the comics within the central canon; same for books. I also have a habit of connecting fanfictions within the canon, but only if it would be feasible within the show and wouldn't alter anything. A Light in the Dark, for instance, would fit in the show canon to me.

Well, one thing about the comics that I don't want to consider apart of the main canon is the explanation of Nightmare Moon in the Nightmare Rarity arc, I just don't like that explanation that...

Luna, and now Rarity, was possessed by an evil force rather than actually going evil themselves, that's a big deal.

The show(and EQG) are the main canon. Some comics I consider canon depending either on if they clash with the show's canon, or depending on my personal opinion

I tend to count the show, Equestria Girls, and ALL of the comics canon. Now, that doesn't mean I like all of the comics (Rainbow Dash micro, Pinkie Pie/AJ Friends Forever), but there are some episodes I don't like either (Twilight Time), so I take the good with the bad.

There are four lines of canon material for me.

The show: events from the show. If it's not in the show, it's not canon.

The show + EqG (+ Rainbow Rocks when it comes out): Events from the show and events from Equestria Girls are both canonical.

The show + the comics: The stuff that happened in the show really happened and the stuff that happened in the comics really happened.

All of it: all of it.

I don't consider what happened in the comics to have happened in the series, but I do think that it happened in addition to the series episodes in a different timeline. The same goes for Equestria Girls.

I generally dislike having separate canons for things. I consider everything that comes out as an official MLP product as part of the same canon. That includes all the comics as well as EQG. Sometimes the continuity between the comics and the show don't line up perfectly, but to be honest I don't think too hard about it. Usually I can head canon the discrepancies away, so it doesn't bother me too much.

• Brohoof 1

I used to consider everything canon, with levels of "canonicity". For example... If something happens in the comics, it's canon until it's contradicted by the show.

But them I heard one of the "youtube analysts" commenting on how i shouldn't have to buy extra material regarding the show, implying that the comics seem to excuse the production staff from developing certain elements of the show. Now I consider the comics and books as side stories not really canon to the show, and think that the show shouldn't refer to the comics, and Equestria Girls and the books.

The show(and EQG) are the main canon. Some comics I consider canon depending either on if they clash with the show's canon, or depending on my personal opinion

Of coarse, this is all based on personal taste, its the nature expanded Universes.

There are four lines of canon material for me.

The show: events from the show. If it's not in the show, it's not canon.

The show + EqG (+ Rainbow Rocks when it comes out): Events from the show and events from Equestria Girls are both canonical.

The show + the comics: The stuff that happened in the show really happened and the stuff that happened in the comics really happened.

All of it: all of it.

I don't consider what happened in the comics to have happened in the series, but I do think that it happened in addition to the series episodes in a different timeline. The same goes for Equestria Girls.

I'm similar, except Equestria girls is in the main canon, the comics are separate canons and some I consider apart of the main canon too.

And there is no 'all of it' line of canon to me, because otherwise I'd have to consider this canon.

yrvwpCOh.jpg

I consider the show and comics canon(I haven't read the books yet). Officially, the comics are B canon, which means that they're a secondary canon. They're canon, unless something clashes with the show, then weight is given to the show as the main canon. I tend to defer judgment on this subject to the people in charge. If they intend something to be canon, then I accept it as such. I do have a separate canon for fan content though, not because I haven't come across fan content that I like, but because it isn't from an official source and has a greater possibility of clashing with the main canon. Drink for every time I've used the word canon in this post.:P Oh, yeah, I reluctantly accept Equestria Girls as part of the show's canon.

@Zoraxe: I've heard that children's picture book is the only thing showcasing G4 sea ponies, and I've liked the concept of them since I first heard about them. That really grinds my gears, because I'm not about to check out a picture book(I have to draw the line somewhere). Is it really that bad? The art looks nice from what I've seen. I guess I'll just have to wait and see if sea ponies eventually make their way into the show or the comics. At least the comics have mermares and mantahawks, so that's pretty cool, but I still want to see sea ponies.

As for the comics, I actually like them, a lot. I consider them optional, since they're not required to follow the show, and I think that's how it should be with a supplementary series like this one, or actually like all three series(main, micro, Friends Forever). The comics expand a little on some characters and concepts from the show and introduce some of their own, but for the most part, the staff behind them seem to have fun doing it, and the characters are placed in all sorts of fun situations. There are some epic four part story arcs too, but in general a lot of them are just as good as episodes from the show IMHO. It may take some time getting used to having artists and art styles switch around along with writing staff every four issues, or sometimes less, but I think that actually adds to the fun.

Edited by Tross

• 5 months later...
(edited)

One of the upcoming villain comics is a Nightmare Moon comic, written by Heather Nuhfer. So... considering how much I didn't like a certain lore addition in the 'Nightmare Rarity arc, this comic can fix or reinforce why I consider Nightmare Moon as written by Heather Nuhfer a separate line of canon from the main canon.

The other Heather Nuhfer comics that I have read (the one arc about the pirates and the others about the book worm) as just too goofy and crazy for me to consider to be in my main canon. So the Heather Nuhfer comics I consider its own line of canon.

Edited by Zoraxe