Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Regarding Ted Anderson - IDW Comics

The Coffee Pony

Here's the main thread on the IDW forum where this issue is being discussed.

http://boards.idwpublishing.com/3/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=12770&start=1185

There is some pretty damning stuff surfacing in this thread. Go through the pages in the 80s and you'll see many links to much of the hateful junk that Ted Anderson has reblogged.

Nice! Where'd you get this stuff from?

It's from Ask Fury Belle, a tumblr blog that parodies SJW's and especially infamous ones in the fandom like Pinkie Pony and now Dragon Dicks in that comic aka satire done right.

• Brohoof 4

It's from Ask Fury Belle, a tumblr blog that parodies SJW's and especially infamous ones in the fandom like Pinkie Pony and now Dragon Dicks in that comic aka satire done right.

Where do I know that blog from...

*stretching* Oh yeah, Fury Belle answered my question~

tumblr_nbsbjv8yvn1tuindlo5_1280.png

• Brohoof 4

Nice for the owner of that blog to answer your question. Your answer is now immortalized!

Yup, and with the help of that anon (or really, I helped the anon), I helped flesh out Fury Belle canon and turned Fat Shamed into Slut Shamed

You're welcome :comeatus:

Nah, but really, it's really cool that it happened.

Edited by Dattebayo
  • Brohoof 3

I like the comic were they used "Ciscord" because it used their strawman against them by having a character based on it rattle off painfully true points about their behavior(such as pointing out April hated G4 until she saw the mean old boys enjoying it and having fun without her)

• Brohoof 3

We got another response from Bobby Curnow

Hi Folks,

If anyone is looking for my thoughts-- I stated it many pages back, but I’ll reiterate and elaborate.

Our comics are meant to be inclusive to everyone. All people, male, female, of any ethnicity and age group are welcome and encouraged to enjoy them. I fully recognize that the background pony in question in the MLP Annual made some feel excluded or hurt, or worse. Therefore it was counter to our goals for the book and was a mistake, for which I apologize.

I personally had a pretty lax approach to allowing background ponies, not thinking they could cause harm. Unless they are a silly parody of a celebrity I recognize, I assume it’s just the artist having fun with a new character design, or including a nod to friends or family. To my eye, it all seemed like harmless fun. Clearly, I was wrong in that regard, and I apologize for any negative feelings that have arisen as a result.

Moving forward, i’ve asked the creative teams to run any background pony cameos past me, so I can be more informed and evaluate whether an appearance is appropriate, based on our goal of inclusion. Suffice to say, my approach will be ‘better safe than sorry’.

If this issue has caused you to drop our MLP books, or any of IDW’s comics, I’m sorry to hear it, but I understand. I’d like to thank you for reading them in the first place.

On Monday I’m going to ask that this return to a “Ask a question of the Editor” thread. The discussion (again, as long as it is civil) is welcome to continue elsewhere on the IDW MLP forum.

If there are any specific questions for me, I’d be happy to answer them to the best of my ability... though please be aware that I can only speak for myself. I will not try to interpret the comments or opinions of anyone else, be they freelancers or fans. I am traveling so cannot guarantee the frequency of my response time. I also ask for your patience if I miss a question, please feel free to re-ask.

http://boards.idwpublishing.com/3/viewtopic.php?p=378000#p378000

It's good to see they're taking action on the subject. It's really a shame Anderson had to ruin the fun for everyone and left a big black stain on the comics as far as background cameos are concerned. It only takes one person to give people reasons to make stricter rules.

Edited by The Coffee Pony
  • Brohoof 3

We got another response from Bobby Curnow

http://boards.idwpublishing.com/3/viewtopic.php?p=378000#p378000

It's good to see they're taking action on the subject. It's really a shame Anderson had to ruin the fun for everyone and left a big black stain on the comics as far as background cameos are concerned. It only takes one person to give people reasons to make stricter rules.

Honestly, I'd be letting him go if it was me because having someone that regularly promotes a hateful individual on the staff of a comic that's supposed to be fun for everyone reflects poorly on the work. 

It's kind of like when the Amazing Atheist was attached to TGWTG for a while. 

• Brohoof 1

He's being too soft on Ted and he's making a blanket punishment for everyone instead of punishing him exclusively. This will do little to alleviate people's anger as the Oc's are still there and Ted is still on the staff, especially as people will view it as him being reluctant to bring down the law and to avoid the issue directly.

Edited by Nuke87654
  • Brohoof 2

Honestly, I'd be letting him go if it was me because having someone that regularly promotes a hateful individual on the staff of a comic that's supposed to be fun for everyone reflects poorly on the work. 

It's kind of like when the Amazing Atheist was attached to TGWTG for a while. 

I agree entirely. Don't get me wrong, I'm still not buying anything with Anderson's name on it (which can be a problem since I buy the issues in volumes) as I am tired of seeing people in the comic book industry make an enemy out of their audiences (frequent example: Frank Miller) but this is a nice start.

• Brohoof 1

I agree entirely. Don't get me wrong, I'm still not buying anything with Anderson's name on it (which can be a problem since I buy the issues in volumes) as I am tired of seeing people in the comic book industry make an enemy out of their audiences (frequent example: Frank Miller) but this is a nice start.

So, is someone going to fill me on what Frank Miller screwed up? I only have passing knowledge of the comic industry at large from reading what I ran across here and there, Tvtropes, and watching Linkara(who even hates him enough to point out when something he brings up was his fault.)

All I know is he wrote some Batman at one point. 

• Brohoof 1

So, is someone going to fill me on what Frank Miller screwed up? I only have passing knowledge of the comic industry at large from reading what I ran across here and there, Tvtropes, and watching Linkara(who even hates him enough to point out when something he brings up was his fault.)

All I know is he wrote some Batman at one point. 

Basically the entirety of Holy Terror, see Linkara's review on that.

I would also like to mention Joe Quesaeda who insulted his audience in the infamous Spider-Man One More Day (and keep in mind I have been a Spider-Man fan since I was 3 or 4 years old) where he insults the audience by saying "If you enjoy escapist fiction you are a loser so keep buying our crap you loser!!" needless to say I despise that comic arc with the fury of a thousand suns and consider Quesaeda to be a hack!!

• Brohoof 2

Basically the entirety of Holy Terror, see Linkara's review on that.

I would also like to mention Joe Quesaeda who insulted his audience in the infamous Spider-Man One More Day (and keep in mind I have been a Spider-Man fan since I was 3 or 4 years old) where he insults the audience by saying "If you enjoy escapist fiction you are a loser so keep buying our crap you loser!!" needless to say I despise that comic arc with the fury of a thousand suns and consider Quesaeda to be a hack!!

I remember his review of that, it was pretty much a half-assed reboot designed to wipe away all his character development up to that point, wasn't it?

Another update:

Ted's personal views are his own, not IDW's. It was inappropriate to put the background pony in the comic, and that has been apologized for and steps been taken to make sure it doesn't happen in the future.

But we have no right to censor Ted, or anyone, in how they chose to express their opinions outside of a comic.

You are of course welcome to your opinion as well.

http://boards.idwpublishing.com/3/viewtopic.php?p=378055#p378055

...Honestly I don't know what to think here folks.

On the one hand he does have a point that he doesn't have the right to censor one's opinion in their personal life.

BUT on the other hand Anderson is still writing for the comics. Again this is like what I mentioned earlier with Joe Quesaeda, Anderson is basically still writing for the comics whilst insulting his fans and alienating them. He's saying "HEY if you're a guy and you enjoy MLP you're an asshole! So keep buying my crap asshole!!". It really isn't reflecting well on the company by letting him work on a comic which uses characters made by someone who has openly spoken against his views and letting him continue to insult the fans while he's working on said comic.

I remember his review of that, it was pretty much a half-assed reboot designed to wipe away all his character development up to that point, wasn't it?

Oh yeah. It was basically one big retcon that was a slap in the face to Spider-Man fans everywhere! It's regarded as being the worst Spider-Man story in existence which says quite a lot when you think about how reviled the Clone Saga of the 90's was.

• Brohoof 4

I'm not going to boycott the comics or even the comics that he wrote, I just hope this doesn't happen again.

I'm really surprised that he didn't know that you can't put fan OCs in, that just seems like a bad idea overall.

About those OCs, from what I understand those OCs belongs to radical feminist, right? Regardless if they have a fucked up standard, he should have put OCs from anyone in the first place, that falls to favoritism, something such people are told to avoid. But I'll not let something as insignificant as that to affect my enjoyment of the comic, as long as I can enjoy good stories, I'm fine if he's the author or not. If he makes another stunt like that now that he'll stays, that's his problem, and he has to face his consequences

Another update:

http://boards.idwpublishing.com/3/viewtopic.php?p=378055#p378055

...Honestly I don't know what to think here folks.

On the one hand he does have a point that he doesn't have the right to censor one's opinion in their personal life.

BUT on the other hand Anderson is still writing for the comics. Again this is like what I mentioned earlier with Joe Quesaeda, Anderson is basically still writing for the comics whilst insulting his fans and alienating them. He's saying "HEY if you're a guy and you enjoy MLP you're an asshole! So keep buying my crap asshole!!". It really isn't reflecting well on the company by letting him work on a comic which uses characters made by someone who has openly spoken against his views and letting him continue to insult the fans while he's working on said comic.

Oh yeah. It was basically one big retcon that was a slap in the face to Spider-Man fans everywhere! It's regarded as being the worst Spider-Man story in existence which says quite a lot when you think about how reviled the Clone Saga of the 90's was.

Curnow needs to realize that the mere fact that Anderson harbors opinions contrary to the aim of the franchise is really inconsequential, considering two reasons. The first being the point you made that Anderson's views are considered hostile to a large majority of the property's consumer base.

The second reason is that he used official company resources and an intellectual property he does not own to express views that are not only political, but hateful, by proxy. The reluctance on the part of IDW to reasonably rectify the issue by censoring the characters makes the administration of that company guilty by association, and if IDW does not act, this could potentially implicate Hasbro as well if they do not pressure IDW into doing something.

Although there seems to be no standards regarding the promotion of hate speech in fact or by association within the comics industry, especially in commercial comics aimed at children, there has to be something within IDW or Hasbro company policies that condemns the promotion of hate speech along lines of gender and/or sex within these properties. I would urge anyone with the resources or knowledge on corporate policy to do research or come forward with any evidence on whether such policies exist.

• Brohoof 4

http://boards.idwpublishing.com/3/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=18116&start=30#p378265

Oh my god...this guy is worse than I thought he was. He's just as bad as Frank Miller and Joes Quesada. This guy is writing for FiM of all things?

EDIT: NEVER MIND!! The post has been deleted but all you need to do is look at his tumblr and you'll find insults towards gamers and anime fans. Like this.

http://tedlyanderson.tumblr.com/post/96319798484/taking-the-tollans-to-isengard-this-weeks

• Brohoof 1

As an addendum to the Commisar

http://ask-fury-belle.tumblr.com/post/98741286684/it-was-just-one-anon-at-first-but-now-many-are

Many people are coming forward saying that they've received emails from IDW saying that Ted Anderson has been offically struck from the writing team as a result of this latest bit if horse drama. Momentous news, if true.

Good luck getting a writing job at even Homes And Gardens, you awful bastard.

• Brohoof 7

http://ask-fury-belle.tumblr.com/post/98741286684/it-was-just-one-anon-at-first-but-now-many-are

Many people are coming forward saying that they've received emails from IDW saying that Ted Anderson has been offically struck from the writing team as a result of this latest bit if horse drama. Momentous news, if true.

If this is legit, then this is good. His bigoted views do not fit for working on this franchise.
  • Brohoof 1

I'm sure he'll find a job working for some hyper-left wing comic that's fueled by white/male/cisgender/heterosexual guilt and finds that sort of thing funny.

• Brohoof 2