Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Regarding Ted Anderson - IDW Comics

The Coffee Pony

(edited)

Welp, it only looks like this shitstorm is going to get worse from here. The fandom's in a civil war between one faction that wants Anderson reprimanded and the other side attacking the former calling them crybabies over an OC and that there was nothing wrong with what he said (some of them also defending Cuteosphere). And meanwhile IDW is silent on the issue. They're going to have to say something eventually.

The other interesting thing is that the user has taken an uncropped screen shot of their entire desktop and has a bazillion windows open. Like they're trying extra hard to let you know this is a real screen shot of a real email.

I've seen that email myself and I'm more inclined to believe this is fake as this one is just rather abrasive in how it spoke to the sender and it doesn't acknowledge that the previous email was fake but is rather attacking fan sites for making news of it, not something I'd imagine a company doing damage control would sound, not to mention if this is real, more people are going to get furious with IDW for essentially lying to them because they're taking back their previous statement with the email that was originally sent out.

Besides, even if he's still in the company and severely reprimanded for it, that's still not going to solve the legal ticking time bombs those oc's are in the comics and it's only going to be a matter of time before someone sends Hasbro word of that.

Yeah, I have rather huge doubts on this myself. Like you guys said, the email in question is rather abrasive and unprofessional and not only that, the people at IDW would surely know that any emails they send are potentially going to be reposted by the recipient for everyone to view so why would they rock the boat and potentially piss off even more fans like that? And yeah it really looks like the person's trying to hard to convince us it's real and I'm really skeptical as it's coming from one of Anderson's rabid defenders on Page 4 of the articles comments page. (Funny how they come out when they think no one is going to discuss it anymore.)

Edited by The Coffee Pony
  • Brohoof 2

Welp, it only looks like this shitstorm is going to get worse from here. The fandom's in a civil war between one faction that wants Anderson reprimanded and the other side attacking the former calling them crybabies over an OC and that there was nothing wrong with what he said (some of them also defending Cuteosphere). And meanwhile IDW is silent on the issue. They're going to have to say something eventually.

Yeah, I have rather huge doubts on this myself. Like you guys said, the email in question is rather abrasive and unprofessional and not only that, the people at IDW would surely know that any emails they send are potentially going to be reposted by the recipient for everyone to view so why would they rock the boat and potentially piss off even more fans like that? And yeah it really looks like the person's trying to hard to convince us it's real and I'm really skeptical as it's coming from one of Anderson's rabid defenders on Page 4 of the articles comments page. (Funny how they come out when they think no one is going to discuss it anymore.)

IDW is probably thinking what to do, it's stupid if they don't do it after this, hence their silence. I just hope pony comics don't suffer too much after this, like cancelling Dashie's and Spitfiyah's FF

IDW is probably thinking what to do, it's stupid if they don't do it after this, hence their silence. I just hope pony comics don't suffer too much after this, like cancelling Dashie's and Spitfiyah's FF

I'm also hoping that the comics don't take a hit because of the stupidity of one writer however either way it looks like things are only going to get ugly. Pretty much all we can really do at this point is sit, wait, watch for any developments and take bets on when this crapstorm'll pass.

Just yesterday, I got a hold of the My Little Pony: Friends Forever vol. 1 and read the Princess Celestia and Spike story by Ted Anderson and actually loved it for one simple reason:

It showed exactly why Celestia allowed Twilight to handle some problems that Celestia could easily have solved herself.

Now when a guy I know did a blind commentary on the Crystal Empire 2-parter on youtube, he listed in the con's about Celestia not doing a thing to help the Crystal Empire after it has reappeared after a thousand years. Instead, Twilight and her friends had to save the Empire. Even back when I first saw the episode, I knew exactly the reason why she did that. And it was explained in Ted Anderson's comic.

When Celestia and Spike were captured by Rock Lobsters, Celestia allowed Spike to trick the Lobsters into letting them go. When Spike pointed out how Celestia could have easily gotten them out, Celestia explained she wanted Spike to be the one to do it. Because Spike wanted to be an adventurer despite him saying he's not an adventurer. "I'm a teacher and sometimes the best way to make a student learn is by making them do." -Celestia from the comic

Later, when they were trapped in a cave with a giant boulder blocking the entrance, Spike wanted to be the hero again, but couldn't do it. Only then did Celestia used her magic to get them out! This time, Celestia knew there was no way Spike could have move the boulder. "Every teacher has to recognize when a problem is too big for a student" -Celestia from the comic.

Ted Anderson's comic of Celestia and Spike really spoke to me because during the past year, I had a very similar experience with my college instructors. Last fall, I've been going to my math teacher office hours almost every day for her help on the homework. She would help me with the steps, but NEVER gives me the answer. Which is just like what Celestia meant by that first quote, "I'm a teacher and sometimes the best way to make a student learn is by making them do." Later on, I reached a brick wall in my struggling pursuit for a math degree to the point where my math teacher suggests maybe I should change my major, which is just like what Celestia meant by that second quote, "Every teacher has to recognize when a problem is too big for a student"! ;) 

And yes, while Celestia admitted she could have easily stopped many of the monsters and villains Twilight had to overcome, she explained:
"I am very powerful and there are many things I can do. And yes sometimes I have let Twilight take care of an incident that I could have cleared away easily. But I do not do this because I am cruel..." (A sort-of Take That to the Tyrantlestia side the fans see.) "...or because I want to play a joke on Twilight..." (a sort-of Take That to the Trollestia side the fans see) "...I do this because I am her teacher and sometimes, this is how she must learn." :toldya: 

One of the best lessons I have ever seen! :wub: 

Now, I read a few days ago about the controversy about Ted Anderson allowing a anti-brony art into the 2014 Annual issue (released on September 24, 2014; I haven't gotten a copy yet at the time of this post) . After reading the Princess Celestia and Spike story (which was originally released in March 2014) just last night, I'm shocked! :o  How could a guy like that have gone from writing a good Celestia story to allowing anti-brony art into a well-received comic book spin-off! It's like they're two completely different people! 

I hope this doesn't affect too many people for the worst. :wau:

Just yesterday, I got a hold of the My Little Pony: Friends Forever vol. 1 and read the Princess Celestia and Spike story by Ted Anderson and actually loved it for one simple reason:

It showed exactly why Celestia allowed Twilight to handle some problems that Celestia could easily have solved herself.

Now when a guy I know did a blind commentary on the Crystal Empire 2-parter on youtube, he listed in the con's about Celestia not doing a thing to help the Crystal Empire after it has reappeared after a thousand years. Instead, Twilight and her friends had to save the Empire. Even back when I first saw the episode, I knew exactly the reason why she did that. And it was explained in Ted Anderson's comic.

When Celestia and Spike were captured by Rock Lobsters, Celestia allowed Spike to trick the Lobsters into letting them go. When Spike pointed out how Celestia could have easily gotten them out, Celestia explained she wanted Spike to be the one to do it. Because Spike wanted to be an adventurer despite him saying he's not an adventurer. "I'm a teacher and sometimes the best way to make a student learn is by making them do." -Celestia from the comic

Later, when they were trapped in a cave with a giant boulder blocking the entrance, Spike wanted to be the hero again, but couldn't do it. Only then did Celestia used her magic to get them out! This time, Celestia knew there was no way Spike could have move the boulder. "Every teacher has to recognize when a problem is too big for a student" -Celestia from the comic.

Ted Anderson's comic of Celestia and Spike really spoke to me because during the past year, I had a very similar experience with my college instructors. Last fall, I've been going to my math teacher office hours almost every day for her help on the homework. She would help me with the steps, but NEVER gives me the answer. Which is just like what Celestia meant by that first quote, "I'm a teacher and sometimes the best way to make a student learn is by making them do." Later on, I reached a brick wall in my struggling pursuit for a math degree to the point where my math teacher suggests maybe I should change my major, which is just like what Celestia meant by that second quote, "Every teacher has to recognize when a problem is too big for a student"! ;)

And yes, while Celestia admitted she could have easily stopped many of the monsters and villains Twilight had to overcome, she explained:

"I am very powerful and there are many things I can do. And yes sometimes I have let Twilight take care of an incident that I could have cleared away easily. But I do not do this because I am cruel..." (A sort-of Take That to the Tyrantlestia side the fans see.) "...or because I want to play a joke on Twilight..." (a sort-of Take That to the Trollestia side the fans see) "...I do this because I am her teacher and sometimes, this is how she must learn." :toldya:

One of the best lessons I have ever seen! :wub:

Now, I read a few days ago about the controversy about Ted Anderson allowing a anti-brony art into the 2014 Annual issue (released on September 24, 2014; I haven't gotten a copy yet at the time of this post) . After reading the Princess Celestia and Spike story (which was originally released in March 2014) just last night, I'm shocked! :o How could a guy like that have gone from writing a good Celestia story to allowing anti-brony art into a well-received comic book spin-off! It's like they're two completely different people!

I hope this doesn't affect too many people for the worst. :wau:

Ted Anderson is still a really good pony writer despite this. He's just a bit of nut. But then again artistic talent and being bonkers crazy seem to go hand in hand very often. Edited by Andaasonsan
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

Ted Anderson is still a really good pony writer despite this. He's just a bit of nut. But then again artistic talent and being bonkers crazy seem to go hand in hand very often.

And then over time the crazy festers until it spills over into their work and the writer loses all talent.

250px-Allstarbatmanandrobin01.jpgHoly_Terror_cover.png

Edited by The Coffee Pony
  • Brohoof 2

You ever get to an argument over how nothing was wrong with the OC in question, just tell them that Hasbro expressly prohibits 3rd party content (ala fan oc's) put into their product for fear of being sued for it, if nothing else they cannot deny he committed a legal issue that no company would ever allow to go unpunished. Those who try to defend Ted in my opinion are either are too in love with his stories (I think he's the best writer but I'm not going to want to keep him for what he did) or already have similar opinions to his own and don't see anything wrong with it.

That's weird. I'm inclined to think the other one is the real one because multiple people claimed to have received it and posted it. Plus the other one does actually sound like a company doing damage control, while this is  terse and doesn't explain a lot.

It could be legit though.

Really? I thought the other one sounded like some raging internet troll, typing up his wet dream of what he wanted to see happen here, in very unprofessional language.

• Brohoof 1

And then over time the crazy festers until it spills over into their work and the writer loses all talent.

img-3135467-1-250px-Allstarbatmanandrobiimg-3135467-2-Holy_Terror_cover.png

Yeah I know very little about Frank Miller personally, but awhile back when I started thinking too hard about exactly what the messages of things like the The Dark Knight Returns, Sin City and 300 actually were I came to a startling conclusion:

This man's view of how the world works is fucking terrifying. In Frank Miller's mind the world has a handful of true manly men who can stand up for good and whose every action is justified. Everyone else is either weak or a total scum bag.

• Brohoof 2

Really? I thought the other one sounded like some raging internet troll, typing up his wet dream of what he wanted to see happen here, in very unprofessional language.

None of the emails I have seen sound like they were IDW PR vetted and approved. None of them. At the end of the day, I have enjoyed and continue to enjoy art from absolute asshats. If he didn't get fired this will fall into that category. If he did/does get fired ... IDW is within their rights to do so.

At least that is how I ended up looking at it.

• Brohoof 6

Yup.

If he didn't hate bronies before (which, judging by the stuff he's posted and reblogged, he did), he sure as hell does now, seeing as horse drama got his a$$ fired.

Again, if this is true, that means he didn't listen to the cardinal rule of content creation:

Don't F*CK with the people who are you meal ticket.

That's what the funniest part of this was to me.

The people he was essentially shooting the finger and hating on were the ones who loved his product and paid his bills. I don't like seeing people lose their jobs, but yeahh. Initially I felt bad but thought "He did it to himself" but I keeping edging closer and closer towards "Good riddance, you ungrateful bastard"

I feel the same way about Vince McMahon.

• Brohoof 1

None of the emails I have seen sound like they were IDW PR vetted and approved. None of them. At the end of the day, I have enjoyed and continue to enjoy art from absolute asshats. If he didn't get fired this will fall into that category. If he did/does get fired ... IDW is within their rights to do so.

At least that is how I ended up looking at it.

I agree, I do feel that he shouldn't have the right to work on future my little pony art work but I personally could care less about reading the comics he was/will be involved in.

Adolf Hitler was a horrible person but his art ability was amazing and I do love to gaze at it from time to time.

• Brohoof 2

I've been seeing claims that he actually HASN'T been fired. Someone apparently got an email claiming the contrary.

img-3134843-1-20zctpc.jpg

I sent that to Catfood McFly (mod of Fury Belle) after he posted this http://ask-fury-belle.tumblr.com/post/98842917629/fury-belle-75-literally-anything-before-bros , and he said this:

"Yeah, I saw that. It’s all very, very mysterious. I can’t believe that Ted n’ DD don’t know about all the furore… but I find it equally hard to believe neither of them have said a word about it. I can’t, cannot envisage DD able to keep her trap shut, whether it was true or it wasn’t.

Of course, that email would be piss easy to fake and only one person has claimed to have received it. Dozens of Anons claimed to have got the one about him being dismissed. I am really not sure.

Whatever’s going on, this story isn’t over yet!"

Edited by Dattebayo
  • Brohoof 2

That's it, we're done here. I officially don't feel bad for hating the scorched earth that narcissistic egomaniac walks on anymore because that proves to me she doesn't understand a damn thing about what feminism is supposed to be.

Someone also fill me in on what that horrid place is and why it looks like Tumblr.

I used to like the Round Stable. They had good analysis on there a while back but somehow turned from a great analysis, review, and news blog to a band of SJW apologists with articles like this: http://www.roundstable.com/2013/02/04/im-a-brony-and-im-sorry/

• Brohoof 1

I used to like the Round Stable. They had good analysis on there a while back but somehow turned from a great analysis, review, and news blog to a band of SJW apologists with articles like this: http://www.roundstable.com/2013/02/04/im-a-brony-and-im-sorry/

I couldn't even read that past a few paragraphs because it felt like everything that is SJW-pandering clickbait distilled into one article. How the hell do they not consider amassing millions of fans, stopping to many suicides to count and raising money for countless charities "making a difference?"

It's honestly like looking into a bizarrro version of MLPforums made for the Tumblr-SJW portion of the fandom. 

• Brohoof 2

Even considering my own extremely negative experience with TRS, I still can't bring myself to hate the place. I guess I can only reiterate what I said before about feeling bad for all involved, for allowing what should be a supremely happy and positive experience to turn into something ugly and hate filled. I will never again allow my experience with MLP to turn negative, and I hope they find their way to that place too.

• Brohoof 1

Even considering my own extremely negative experience with TRS, I still can't bring myself to hate the place. I guess I can only reiterate what I said before about feeling bad for all involved, for allowing what should be a supremely happy and positive experience to turn into something ugly and hate filled. I will never again allow my experience with MLP to turn negative, and I hope they find their way to that place too.

What happened over there?

• Brohoof 1

What happened over there?

eh, let's just say at the time I was far too invested into my obsession with the show, and was WAAAYYYY too short tempered and aggressive. I didn't really care or consider the consequences for my actions. I'd still love to get back in there, but the admins there keep ignoring me. So much for learning compassion and kindness from the show. 

• Brohoof 1

Ladies and gentlemen comic sales are starting to take a hit.

http://www.horse-news.net/2014/10/idw-pony-sales-take-hit.html

Just to add, I would like to point out that the downward trend for MLP IDW comics started when Katie Cook and Andy Price screwed up by attacking their critics in their MLP works, which caused them to lose around 6000 sales at the end of the Reflections arc from the 26000 it originally started with. MLP comics have been seeing a downward spiral since and I fear Ted Anderson is only going to make things worse for IDW.

I still find it hilarious of how Round Stable is trying to minimize of just how large of a market Bronies have over MLP comics and state the majority are kids and stuff while ignoring that ever since they've pissed off the fandom with Katie's behavior, sales for MLP comics have been going down.

Edited by Nuke87654

Just to add, I would like to point out that the downward trend for MLP IDW comics started when Katie Cook and Andy Price screwed up by attacking their critics in their MLP works, which caused them to lose around 6000 sales at the end of the Reflections arc from the 26000 it originally started with. MLP comics have been seeing a downward spiral since and I fear Ted Anderson is only going to make things worse for IDW.

I still find it hilarious of how Round Stable is trying to minimize of just how large of a market Bronies have over MLP comics and state the majority are kids and stuff while ignoring that ever since they've pissed off the fandom with Katie's behavior, sales for MLP comics have been going down.

Can I see those posts from Katie Cook and Andy Price, I just haven't heard about it until now.

Can I see those posts from Katie Cook and Andy Price, I just haven't heard about it until now.

I'm not able to find them, but what I know is that in the reflections arc, on issue #20, there was a written message on  a wall where Twilight was gathering every info she could about the AU verse. The message was 'If you're reading this, you're reading too much into this', and how Pinkie Pie remarked of how their main verse doesn't make much sense, possibly an indication of how the main verse has it's own continuity issues as well to try and stare away from the many mistakes they've made in the arc.

Then in the final issue of the arc, where it showed the AU mane 6 away from the battle, Pinkie Pie remarked 'Boy, I sure don't wish to be a part of this convoluted story', which essentially was a middle finger to fans who had expected an epic main verse vs. AU verse mane 6.

There was several tweets (which they've deleted) from Andy Price showing him getting pissed of at someone when they tried to politely question about the decisions made in the arc and telling him to leave him alone. You'll probably need to go to /mlp/ or horse news, or even derpibooru if you wish to know more about it as they're better able at keeping records of crap like this then I' am.

Edited by Nuke87654
  • Brohoof 1