Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do a lot of bronies seem to dislike the earlier generations?

MrJK

I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but our whole basis of our everything (Pony related) is to love and tolerate. And one thing about MLP: FiM That we stand by is people can like whatever they want, and we should just stand up for what we like. Now, what i have noticed is that we, (The MLP: FiM community) Love MLP: FiM and we stand by it with the fact that we like what we want to like. But, we continuously make fun of previous generations of MLP. Now, don't get me wrong, i hate those generations, iv'e actually seen them, and i hate them, but, that's just my opinion. If someone else likes it, fine. To each his own. I just find it ironic that our culture (Gen.4) is constantly berated by others, and within our own show, we berate the other genrations. Just something i wanted to point out (Also, i realize i say the same thing like a million times but i don't wanna rewrite so, :P )

-JK Loves you! <3 :wub:

• Brohoof 3

The show is girly and has no story, if you want to watch it fine but that doesn't mean we won't make fun of THE SHOW.(all in good spirits of course)

See, this is what im talking about. (No offense Rainbow--Dash, im going to use you as an example. JK Still loves you! <3) How can you say that when we are constantly made fun of for what we like ,and we are all about not judging other people and what they like.
  • Brohoof 1

You can't really compare Bronies criticizing previous generations with trolls attacking Bronies...

There's a difference between saying a television show is of low quality and saying that its viewers are narcissistic sexual deviants who deserve to die.

• Brohoof 3

You can say you don't like something without criticising those who do. I can't stand the previous generations but there's nothing wrong with people who do like them.

• Brohoof 3

See, this is what im talking about. (No offense Rainbow--Dash, im going to use you as an example. JK Still loves you! <3) How can you say that when we are constantly made fun of for what we like ,and we are all about not judging other people and what they like.

Making fun of the show with good intentions and making fun of the person/show with bad intentions are different things.
  • Brohoof 4

You can say you don't like something without criticising those who do. I can't stand the previous generations but there's nothing wrong with people who do like them.

I guess this is my point. Maybe i didn't convey it well enough.

But DJ-JK..... Rainbow--Dash said that he thought it was fine for other people to watch the older generations and enjoy them. He just said that he did not like the older generations himself.

There is a huge difference between not liking something and not liking the people that like something.

We are supposed to love and tolerate the people. We are not required to all like the same exact things that they like.

Edited by Scootacool
  • Brohoof 1

The simple rule that can help you in life:Don't hate something you never tried/do/watch/ect. Who knows when you may end up liking it

And I hate the old Generation ponies.

Edited by Flutter Derp
  • Brohoof 1

I

I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but our whole basis of our everything (Pony related) is to love and tolerate. And one thing about MLP: FiM That we stand by is people can like whatever they want, and we should just stand up for what we like. Now, what i have noticed is that we, (The MLP: FiM community) Love MLP: FiM and we stand by it with the fact that we like what we want to like. But, we continuously make fun of previous generations of MLP. Now, don't get me wrong, i hate those generations, iv'e actually seen them, and i hate them, but, that's just my opinion. If someone else likes it, fine. To each his own. I just find it ironic that our culture (Gen.4) is constantly berated by others, and within our own show, we berate the other genrations. Just something i wanted to point out (Also, i realize i say the same thing like a million times but i don't wanna rewrite so, :P )

-JK Loves you! <3 :wub:

I tooooooootally get your point. Bronies criticize gen. 3 for the EXACT SAME REASONS other people critizice gen. 4, yet we get mad for that. It's hypocrital.

Anyways Love and tolerate is long dead

EDIT: And it seems i'm the only one who does

Edited by Eenohay

There is TONS of ironies and hypocrisies within Love and Tolerate!

Like how some Bronies hate old gens (I have no say on the matter, never watched them)

Some Bronies hate r34 Ponies and "Cloppers" (I love Cloppers although I don't "clop" myself, but I enjoy the art)

Bronies tend to hate haters (the ultimate irony, I say the show is not for everyone)

And almost all Bronies despite preaching love and tolerance, still keep their ideologies (like my super liberal stances on things)

Love and Tolerate is a neat concept and a great experiment to see if the show's following could alter human nature. The experiment was pretty much a failure but still a neat concept!

• Brohoof 2

That's because it was genuinely terrible. I'm serious, nopony liked it. Not even the girls who played with the ponies liked it.

Uh, how about you speak for yourself and stop making such false generalizations? I grew up with the G1 ponies (including the offshoot My Little Pony Tales series) and I still adore them and the movie that was made along with them, which I DON'T think are terrible. I'm not a huge fan of G3 or G3.5 ponies, but I think the G3 designs are cute in any case.

• Brohoof 2

Uh, how about you speak for yourself and stop making such false generalizations? I grew up with the G1 ponies (including the offshoot My Little Pony Tales series) and I still adore them and the movie that was made along with them, which I DON'T think are terrible. I'm not a huge fan of G3 or G3.5 ponies, but I think the G3 designs are cute in any case.

Very well, i apologize. I played with them, hated the show though.

I don't. Besides, the older gen cartoons were kind of terrible. Like, objectively low budget and bad. But you aren't a bad person if you like them. Or the old dolls or whatever! It's okay to like things. It's also okay to dislike them.

• Brohoof 1

"Its ok, to not like things, but don't be a dick about it, don't be a dick about it" -Total biscuit.

An important rule one must follow as a critic is to NEVER insult a fanbase directly. You may insult the topic all you want but you don't want to make it personal with people who disagree!

For example, I find the Twilight Saga appalling! Almost everything about the story and movies are horrible (except Jacob the ONLY three dimensional character in the whole series). If find them insulting to Vampire legend and literature.

It's when someone goes into statements like "fans of these books need to be shot" where you lose ALL credibility with your argument.

Also if you have not watched older gens (like me) DO NOT say anything negative towards them!

You have no right to argue if you have not watched them. You don't even have the right to argue Hasbro's questionable business practices to make the show to sell toys rather than vice versa because liking Gen 4 you are supporting exactly that!

You never really know if you personally like it or not. I thought I was going to hate Gen 4. But I love it!

Another example is the movie Remember Me. Starring Robert Pattinson (Twilight's Edward) and it was advertised as a cheesy romance. When my friend told me it was great I made fun of him for a month. Then he had me watch it... minus the cheese scenes they made to sell the movie in trailers, it really wasn't a romance but a family drama! Robert Pattinson actually performed pretty well compared to his lack of performance in Twilight! I really liked it!

See! You really don't know until you try!

• Brohoof 2

Besides, I personally think that love and tolerate is very foolish for my own reasons which aren't really relevant to discuss here. If anyone says I am not a true brony, then have they broken their own rule?

you can tolerate someone and still disagree with them, bro
  • Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...

Hi! I'm kind of new to the fandom, and I have a question. Since I've joined the fandom I've noticed there's a general disregard for the earlier generations of ponies. Why do so many bronies dislike the earlier generations of My Little Pony? I know that these gens are not as well written, but it seems like a lot of bronies almost hate Generations 1-3, as opposed to being just indifferent to them. I'm just curious as to why this is? So if you have a reason you really dislike the earlier generations, could you please explain why? Thank you very much! ;)