Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do a lot of bronies seem to dislike the earlier generations?

MrJK

I am re-watching from G1 and it is bringing back so many wonderful childhood memories. I was such a huge fan when I was a little girl. I played with my MLP toys in the bathtub and I would play make-believe that I was my favorite pony, Firefly. I had all the toys I could find, the VHS tapes, coloring books, anything I could put my little hands on. I still have some of my VHS and most of my toys. I wish I had more.

I don't get where you're saying it was violent. I liked this show because it was a lot less violent than other cartoons at the time, Tom&Jerry, Coyote&Roadrunner, Bugs Bunny, Elmer Fudd, and Daffy Duck... there was no slap-stick comedy, no anvils being dropped, no guns and hunting. MLP was quite tame, actually. I loved the idea of happy-colored ponies having tea parties and going to the ice cream shop. There were darker parts to the show, I will admit that. However, it's much different when perceived by a 6 year old than by an adult. I knew that the good ponies would always win, and that the witches or whatever enemy was mostly there for comic relief or storyline. I'm seeing darker themes while re-watching than I noticed as a child, but nothing I wouldn't let my own child watch. Then again children's cartoons now lack so much from what I had when I was growing up. They're too cushy and not nearly as entertaining.

I'm trying to figure out where to draw the line between the generations. G1 seems to be the original MLP n Friends, plus MLP Tales. G2 is actually a video game released with a line of slimmer dolls. G3 is the 2000-era ponies. And of course G4 MLP: FiM. So it seems I missed G2 and G3 entirely. I remember seeing the G2 dolls and thought they looked weird. By the time G3 was out I was too busy being a teenager.

I actually feel like drawing the G1 ponies in G4 style. I think I'm gonna do that with some of my favorites now.

I actually feel like drawing the G1 ponies in G4 style. I think I'm gonna do that with some of my favorites now.

^ looking forward to seeing the Flutter and Twinkle-Eyed ponies :)

It's been so long since i've watched the older generations of ponies and i've only just recently planned on rewatching them. I remember enjoying G2 and G3 as a kid though...

• Brohoof 1

^ looking forward to seeing the Flutter and Twinkle-Eyed ponies :)

It's been so long since i've watched the older generations of ponies and i've only just recently planned on rewatching them. I remember enjoying G2 and G3 as a kid though...

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x18c7xe_the-end-of-flutter-valley-parts-1-5-1986-my-little-pony_shortfilms

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Little_Pony_%28TV_series%29

It's not listed by episode number so you have to search for the next episode in the lineup, but so far they've all been there. I didn't have any luck on Youtube.

• 3 weeks later...

I was told the children mind was treated very poorly in early generations. Personally, I don't know anything about this generations.

In regards of the art style, it's not of my personal taste. The frequency of art is rather slow and dirty in comparison with the now. Like there was too much distortion in between. Feeling dizzy, when I think about it.

I try to love and tolerate as much as possible, and even when I do make a subtle hate comment it is very subtle. Just I hate you, no cursing or death threats or you are a disgrace to our fandom. But I just feel like G3 love should not be allowed on this forum, I know I'm being prejudice to those who liked those shows. But just do your thing, don't give it to us, because the story was AWFUL and I would rather pretend than Lauren Faust created MLP and that there was nothing before it, because those shows are disgraces to the MLP franchise.

There will always be that loud or large minority that will speak for itself in front of everyone involved

While I don't believe that either past generations of MLP besides G1 did their best, I stay away and acknowledge it for what it is at the time, a girly tv series and toy series that focused little to nothing worth of value outside of it's progression that lead to where it's at today

Well, I don't think any of the previous generations should be hated. Yeah, G1 cartoon is cheesy, but that's expected from an 80s cartoon. Tales and G3 cartoons, I don't think they aimed them to be big hits, just flat merchandise driven cartoon. But the most important fact is, we wouldn't have FiM if not were for them 

It's interesting to watch previous generations (especially g3, Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle were in the main cast! Who could not like that? :P). There's nothing wrong with the previous generations, but I don't enjoy them as much as I enjoy g4.

• Brohoof 1

Well I don't think I need to watch G3 or G2 to know it's bad, it's clear no one tried with it, not to mention people these days tend to associate MLP with the word "good" and when they see something to do with MLP that isn't as such they start to hate it as it's gone against that idea, that's my theory anyway. 

Well G1 is okay.... G2 is well blah.... G3.... 0_o. Lets move on... 

Many don't like them because they are girly, not well done etc. Now I do like G1 and some of G2 is good. But G3.... has nothing good about it end of story...

• 3 weeks later...

I think most bronies dislike it because when everyone thinks of what a brony watches, they may think of that. With that said, it's as if it is used to enforce the stereotype of what a brony is. That and it is filled with A LOT of estrogen, making to where it some girls are even going :eww: .

Edited by BeatStick
  • Brohoof 1

I haven't seen G1 or G2, but I heard G1 wasn't too bad.

However, I'm having a hard time finding anything redeemable about G3, besides it's "so bad it's good" factor. I haven't met any G3 fans who gave me a concrete reason why they like it, as opposed to restating that they just like it.

People often defend G3 by saying "It's a little girls' show, so go easy on it." That's the problem. Too many people think that it's okay for something to be bad as long as it's target audience is young girls. Why do you think when most girls grow up, they tend to watch more "boy's" or "men's" shows and movies? People are always talking about their fond memories of shows like Samurai Jack, Invader Zim, Teen Titans, etc. But G3? G3 is just another example of minimal effort simply because of it's target audience. (Along with the Barbie and Tinker Bell movies.)

I think it's unfair that the backwards "It's okay for little girls' shows to be bad." mentality is used so often. Boys would get their action and adventure, while girls would be left with some of the most trivial conflict, if any at all.

Edited by SpaceOnion
  • Brohoof 1

I always believed that some of the negative talk about prior My Little Pony shows were defensive reactions. Critics would speak of the earlier shows and then label modern fans of "Friendship is Magic" of being fans of them and every negative aspect of it by default. Since the old shows are used as labels to bash them, the reactions make sense even if they are not true. I am not sure since I am not interested in viewing the old programs. I don't necessarily bash them because I know better.

I didn't like the older generations when I was younger, and still don't.

• First off, just the look of the ponies/animation is off-putting to me. Awkward and "slow" looking (as in animation speed).
  • The characters aren't interesting to me at all. They lack dimension/depth and give off a "brainwashed" vibe.
  • The writing is uninteresting to me and makes me like :confused: / :wat: / :catface:   /  >_>  at times.
  • The voice acting is bad/annoying (Tabitha St. Germain's earlier work as Minty being the exception.)

G 3.5  however is on it's own "SPECIAL" level- BELOW hell ;)

post-24370-0-77943000-1419206441_thumb.jpg

+ :eww::derp::blink::angry:

In all seriousness though, G4 was developed with a completely different mindset. You really can see that the people working on it really do care.
Edited by steve88
  • Brohoof 1

I didn't like the older generations when I was younger, and still don't.

• First off, just the look of the ponies/animation is off-putting to me. Awkward and "slow" looking (as in animation speed).
  • The characters aren't interesting to me at all. They lack dimension/depth and give off a "brainwashed" vibe.
  • The writing is uninteresting to me and makes me like :confused: / :wat: / :catface:   /  >_>  at times.
  • The voice acting is bad/annoying (Tabitha St. Germain's earlier work as Minty being the exception.)

G 3.5  however is on it's own "SPECIAL" level- BELOW hell ;)

+ :eww::derp::blink::angry:

In all seriousness though, G4 was developed with a completely different mindset. You really can see that the people working on it really do care.

And the previous gen brigade will be like "well it's for kids", so what if it's for kids FIM is considered a kids show and that has good animation and characters (and a lot more). 

I think the last generations fit the girly stereotype so much that most male viewers of our current generation found it intolerable to watch. Also the fact that there were not any male ponies may be considered "sexist" by certain bronies.

I think the last generations fit the girly stereotype so much that most male viewers of our current generation found it intolerable to watch. Also the fact that there were not any male ponies may be considered "sexist" by certain bronies.

To be fair though, while that may apply to "My Little Pony Tales" and G3/G3.5, that might be a bit unfair towards G1. I haven't seen the whole series, and while it may contain some silly parts, what I saw was generally enjoyable and not really all that 'girly,' if you will. Heck, some of the storylines were fairly dark; especially "Return of Tambelon."

Of course I can see why the animation style might put some off, but that's the 80s for ya. :)

• Brohoof 1