Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Let's be honest, is FiM a preschool show?

TheMisterManGuy

(edited)

I'd say most of Season 1 was aimed for pre-schoolers. The show went from having ponies being frightened by lifeless trees with scary faces to having one of them fight a giant magic stealing monster in a Dragon Ball Z style battle.

Edited by Da King

I'd say most of Season 1 was aimed for pre-schoolers. The show went from having ponies being frightened by lifeless trees with scary faces to having one of them fight a giant magic stealing monster in a Dragon Ball Z style battle.

Season 1 seemed to be very innovative and set itself apart from all the typical Cartoon Network crap. Recent seasons like 5 and 6 seems to be more like the typical Saturday morning Cartoon Network crap.

Season one did had the "educational" and "informative" standard that the show aimed it to be, otherwise the rest of the seasons/episodes partakes on a more casual theme. It's not like Tirek can scare any preschoolers with the fight with Twilight, right?

I see it as more of a family show, not a preschool show. The themes are a tad bit too dark sometimes (Twilight's battle with Tirek, for example) for a 2 year old to watch.

Then again, my 2 year old niece enjoys MLP and stares intensely at the screen whenever I have it on.

• Brohoof 1

From a parent who dredged through a lot of preschool programming, some good, some awful, FIM is a family show aimed towards elementary aged children and not preschoolers in the slightest. Not even close.

The themes are too mature, too dark at times and the friendship lessons are way more complex than a preschool show.

Go watch Dora and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse for five minutes and you'll see what a preschool show is. Even those aimed for older like Sofia The First and Sherrif Callie's Wild West don't hold a candle to FIM.

The closest feeling that I can think of being similar are the old Disney Afternoon shows of the 90s when I was a kid. That's the part of me that lights up when I watch ponies. I don't have that feeling while watching preschool programming.

• Brohoof 3

I don't think MLP is for only that demographic. I has things in it that are on the level of the little girls watching it, but sometimes they slip by a couple sex jokes to appeal to older audiences. When Dash got a wingboner during Pinkie's ''You Gotta Share, You Gotta Care'' performance? When Fluttershy was blushing after Dash pulled off her covers? Things like that make it go over the heads of children, but older audiences get the jokes resulting in enjoying the show more and the whole family being into it.

• 1 month later...

As of G3.5, ​MLP used to have a target audience aged 4 to 7.

​When Lauren Faust came and took over (and she did take over), she changed this to 5 to 12. So no, this isn't a pre-school show.

​Unfortunately, German TV execs don't know about that because nobody in Germany except for the bronies (probably not even Nickelodeon) knew that there was a new generation, let alone that this was a revolutionarily new generation or even about the bronies who actually already existed in Germany at that point. So the first three seasons were aired in a program block right after Dora the Explorer.

No, I don't think so. As you said, the target audience was never just preschoolers, it was girls in general. Preschool shows, in my opinion, are shows like Sesame Street and Dora, which try and teach kids colours and stuff, and while there may have been a bit of that at the beginning with the whole "friendship lessons" thing, it was never that "which is the blue pony? You're right!" kind of show. Besides, the show has been adjusted a little bit to cater to bronies. In a preschool show, you won't see monsters like the timberwolves, or some of the more complex themes that would not be there if this was a preschool show. I think that while the technical target age for MLP is young girls, the show has expanded to be so much more than that.

Knowing the tone, pace and occasional complexity FIM puts out, to hear it be called a 'Pre-School' show is quite frankly insulting.

I hated going into my local HMV and finding the MLP stuff in the pre-school section. Just because it airs on Tiny POP here in the UK doesn't mean it is a pre-school show. Thankfully as the reputation of the show has increased, they've moved it to the family section.

The show fits into its age range perfectly and thanks to its reputation has expanded to include much more, further away from any demographic Hasbro originally noted for it.

Edited by Vocal Analyst
  • Brohoof 1

• 6 years later...
On 2014-11-10 at 8:44 AM, The Mint Pone said:

No I dont think so. My 2 year old brother watches things like Thomas the tank engine and that is a preschool show! FIM has a lot more to it than the 2-dimensional characters (not literally) or the extremely simple plot (if you can call trains taking cargo from A to B plot!) of preschool shows I've seen.

You’ve got to see some of the early Thomas seasons, they’re amazing. There are even two episodes where one train saves another from scrap.

Edited by Dec Browne

• 2 weeks later...

It has values that will certainly be beneficial for preschool audience in their development, but I believe it is a show for everyone despite what its target audience was. 

There are values for adults, for children, for any demographic, to make it short. Characters have great depth, the world is interesting and all that is done while still ensuring that show's message remains consistent, wholesome and positive. It's simply incredibly fun with very varied content, rich with themes and adventures of all kinds.

I don't think there's any kind of demographic that couldn't learn anything from watching ponies, honestly. 

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

If it was S1, an argument could be made, they had that E/I logo for a reason

Everything else though, no, it's definitely an all ages show

• 3 months later...