Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

People rubbing in their religions

The Last Derp

no you're just taking the piss out of Jehovah witnesses now about them waking you up early, they wake up early so they can pray at 6am on the dot

if its that much of a problem just dont answer the door, theirs no point in complaining about it on a public forum

you're still hating on them for what they believe in and that's bang out

would you make gaging noises for two men kissing each other?, i don't think you would so why are you saying "Jehovah's witnesses are the worst, they always wake me up and the stand at my door for so long Stooooooooooooooop" 

I'm not hating on them in the slightest.

I'm simply stating the fact that it is annoying when the come and ring my doorbell in the morning and wake me up. If I have offended you in some way, I apologize.

Ideology isn't the only thing that war is fought over, it also has to do with resources. Besides, if everyone had the exact same opinion on everything, it would be extremely boring.

To bring it back to the topic at hand, though, there is a time and place for discussion. Sometimes people just want to go about their day without being told they're going to hell, and we don't all need to be part of a cult to manage that.

• Brohoof 3

Alternatively, this cult could propose sacrificing all newborns to an invisible, cybernetic, demon doppelganger of Saddam Hussein to stop him from arriving into our world and drowning everyone's eyes in a sea of boiling blood. The idea is, that while we all share the same faith, not everyone will be able to practice it or will even want to, or certain criteria of following a global faith system might not apply to certain people. Let's face it, religion isn't for everyone.

Also, i think that there's a certain strength in diversity, actually. You can learn various things from people who don't share your point of view, as they consider paths of thinking that you may not.

• Brohoof 1

My stance on advocacy is that if you hold an opinion on a matter and publish it (and that includes posting on a public online forum) then you shouldn't be surprised or upset by people politely asking for rational justification for that opinion. Opinions of a religious nature do not get some kind of special exemption from this.

Of course, you are by no means required to provide such rational justification. You just shouldn't be offended by people expecting it, nor by them lowering their opinion of you if you cannot back up your beliefs.

It's still annoying when people run around bragging about being atheist, acting like they are geniuses or something.

Being an atheist doesn't make me a genius. (I'd be a genius even if I weren't an atheist.)

• Brohoof 1

Since im an atheist, I don't really get involved with religion. Im fine with people casually talking about it, but rubbing it in (eg: bringing it up in every subject) just really gets me annoyed.

It is annoying but I find Atheist that do the same thing with their non beliefs.

Being an atheist doesn't make me a genius. (I'd be a genius even if I weren't an atheist.)

I wasn't implying you my friend don't worry.

But all the kids that used to make fun of me and tell me I was going to hell for not believing in god in middle school, suddenly became atheist and started bragging about it, like it was some sort of an accomplishment. 

There is definitely a shift these days. People are becoming less and less religious, at least where I live.

I wasn't implying you my friend don't worry.

But all the kids that used to make fun of me and tell me I was going to hell for not believing in god in middle school, suddenly became atheist and started bragging about it, like it was some sort of an accomplishment. 

There is definitely a shift these days. People are becoming less and less religious, at least where I live.

Sounds like some sort of cheesy teenage rebellion, no offense. Kids trying to act provocatively for attention and what not. 

• Brohoof 1

I am against anyone forcing anything on anyone including this, I don't talk about my own religious beliefs that often both because I prefer to let my actions do the talking and because I don't care what someone believes in so long as they aren't dicks about it.

Sounds like some sort of cheesy teenage rebellion, no offense. Kids trying to act provocatively for attention and what not. 

There is a general decline in religiosity in the Western world. I'd suggest that this is mostly caused by a wider exposure to different cultures, allowing young people to realise that they don't need to automatically follow the religion of their parents. That they can reject that and follow a different religion, or no religion, and they will not be alone.

Regular church attendance in the UK is now down to about 6% of the population, and falling.

• Brohoof 3

Yup I feel the same way.

Same when Atheists rub their beliefs in Christians' faces. I think people should keep their beliefs to themselves and not try to "convert" others.

I'm a Christian myself and I strongly agree with Hovershy.
  • Brohoof 1

My stance on advocacy is that if you hold an opinion on a matter and publish it (and that includes posting on a public online forum) then you shouldn't be surprised or upset by people politely asking for rational justification for that opinion. Opinions of a religious nature do not get some kind of special exemption from this. Of course, you are by no means required to provide such rational justification. You just shouldn't be offended by people expecting it, nor by them lowering their opinion of you if you cannot back up your beliefs. Hovershy, on 11 Nov 2014 - 4:09 PM, said: It's still annoying when people run around bragging about being atheist, acting like they are geniuses or something. Being an atheist doesn't make me a genius. (I'd be a genius even if I weren't an atheist.)

TBH, I think that reason isn't applied to religion enough, these days.  And when you see atheists going around with picket signs being all about "reason" and acting like reason is the polar opposite of faith, it gets the incorrect idea in peoples' heads that reason and faith are opposites.  That's hardly true; I think applying reason to faith can make faith better and make people smarter about their faith, or even smarter in general.  In fact, I actually go so far as to think that a faith can be proven wrong (or at least aspects of a given faith can be proven wrong) using reason.  You'd be surprised how often the Bible itself uses reason to do some debunking with certain aspects or offshoots of early Christianity; some of the later books often say things like "No, it can't really work that way because..."

...I'm getting dangerously close to starting a flame war by saying all this, aren't I?

Now that I think about it, probably one of the main reasons why statements of faith are exempted from the rational justification thing is because that ends up bringing people too close to a flame war.  As much as it would help make people smarter and better-informed to have those kinds of discussions in a calm, rational manner, the "calm, rational" part all too often doesn't happen.  This thread (so far) has been an exception that I'm glad to see.

• Brohoof 1

I hate it when people do this... Everyone's entitles to their own beliefs. What you AREN'T entitled to do is to rub said beliefs in someone's face, try to force them onto others and denigrate those who have a differing opinion. I personally am atheist, but I see nothing wrong with having a religion. I don't really buy into the whole God thing, but if that's what people want to believe, I see no reason why that should in any way cause arguments or hinder relationships.

On the other hand, while I have no problem with religion, I believe that religion should adapt to reflect the morals of current society - for instance, the traditional attitude towards homosexuality in religious texts is that it is a sin. Some still follow this to this day, for instance the Westboro Baptist Church, but today this view is widely seen as wrong - today I'd most likely say that such beliefs seem to have been forgotten by most. Religion is all about interpretation - Does God really love us all, or is he (or she) overly selective about what he considers human? I reiterate: I am atheist and I have no problem with religion - what annoys me is religious zealots like the WBC.

Things like faith healing also bother me. To me it just seems like a fraud to get money off some poor sods - a man pulls someone's leg and suddenly she's healthy again. I think this song puts it into perspective quite well (The song starts at 5:25):

In other words: In my opinion, faith healing is just more overly religious zealots being stupid. Like TV psychics, they are frauds. 

One more thing that annoys me is the teaching of religion in schools as fact. I mayy not have a problem with religion, but in my opinion teaching it to children as if it were fact is just another way of forcing it onto people. Kids will believe everything you tell them - they should be allowed to make their own choice.

OK... Rant over...

I'm Christian but I never try to force anyone to believe in what I do.... so what if we all have different opinions on how we came to be but what I hate is when people try to tell me God is fake and everything I worship is fake

• Brohoof 1

People shouldn't rub it in. I did however tried pushing people do well... have some faith because I was afraid about the possible consequences for not having any :(.

Then stuff happened and now I'm not so sure.

Edited by SparkWolf

I hate how legeitmate criticism towards religion is often percived as "rubbing in your atheism".

I've never seen that happen outside of fundies(as a christian, even I have criticisms of organized religion and it's dogma). The fact of the matter is a lot anti-theists think shaming for "believing in fairly tales" and calling our God a evil lie is "valid criticism". 

Oh yeah, the people who give religion a bad name and are probably one of the causes of atheism. I really do hate how people will over generalize every single religious person as one of those people. These people really have no reason to do that. I get that they're trying to "preach the word of God" but don't go door to door with your bibles. Try showing the more friendly side of religion like how churches will hold programs for kids or donate to charity.

I did however tried pushing people do well... have some faith because I was afraid about the possible consequences for not having any

I don't know how you would classify "pushing", as in how much exactly did you push. However, good intentions aside, you must realize that people should freely choose their faith (or lack thereof). Simply pushing others to believe can alienate them from your religious world view. 

I think it'll be easier for people to truly accept forms of faith for which they have true, actual reverence, not when they're forced to adopt them out of fear or coercion.

I don't know how you would classify "pushing", as in how much exactly did you push. However, good intentions aside, you must realize that people should freely choose their faith (or lack thereof). Simply pushing others to believe can alienate them from your religious world view.

I think it'll be easier for people to truly accept forms of faith for which they have true, actual reverence, not when they're forced to adopt them out of fear or coercion.

I just explained some things and tried to convince :1.

Yeah, but I tried to be as docile as possible :1.

I'm on a similar note. I fear..

I'm atheist myself, I'm not going to go into why I am as I would surely piss off some people, but I know a really hardcore Christian Fundamentalist(not like West Boro) and he is a great guy who really tries to get others to believe as well, but I can't be pissed at people like that as their intentions are well meaning and I totally respect people who try to do good for others. Believe what you will as long as it doesn't hold back human progression or impact me or others negatively.