Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Bathrooms in Equestria

ponylaces

I think the question is more "How do they go potty when they aren't shown as having anything to go potty with?"  I've seen some suggestions that, basically, they t-port it outside their bodies.  Toilet training consists of learning to control when & where this happens.  The episode "Baby Cakes" shows they aren't born knowing this.

Oh & Pinkie, there is probably some sort of law against letting baby Pegasi fly around without a diaper.  Comes under the idea that "If you think birds are bad news..."

• Brohoof 4

Even though there was an outhouse shown in The Last Roundup, Lauren Faust said this in a tweet but, it was just a joke.

Oh man, that was funny. Still, she said they fertilize the flowers, so I guess they're civil enough to keep it off the roads where any pony could step in it (or eat it, like RD) and head for the closest garden or shrubbery.

(Anyway, we've seen a pony house with a toilet, so, we know they have plumbing. Heck, The Last Roundup must have featured the only known fully plumbed outhouse in existence!)

• Brohoof 2

I imagine they would have rules on where they could go, but they wouldn't need bathrooms. The outhouse in The Last Roundup is a one off gag, so I don't take it that seriously, but it doesn't necessarily need to have plumbing. A lot of human outhouses are pretty much a seat above a hole. That does feature prominently on my list of reasons why I don't go camping very often. A traditional Japanese style toilet might work for the ponies. If toilets do exist in Equestria, it's probably just for reasons of keeping everything sanitary and so other ponies don't step on what their neighbors just left. A patch of ground set aside for that purpose would probably do just as well though. I have to wonder if pooping habits vary by region, and if being a Princess affects that or not, and the same question applies to proper ladies like Rarity.

nBnmpJP.png

LZMQnCr.png

"I don't know what to think of this...."

I imagine they would have rules on where they could go, but they wouldn't need bathrooms. The outhouse in The Last Roundup is a one off gag, so I don't take it that seriously, but it doesn't necessarily need to have plumbing. A lot of human outhouses are pretty much a seat above a hole. That does feature prominently on my list of reasons why I don't go camping very often. A traditional Japanese style toilet might work for the ponies. If toilets do exist in Equestria, it's probably just for reasons of keeping everything sanitary and so other ponies don't step on what their neighbors just left. A patch of ground set aside for that purpose would probably do just as well though. I have to wonder if pooping habits vary by region, and if being a Princess affects that or not, and the same question applies to proper ladies like Rarity.

there is a type of etiquette for every thing, so I wouldn't be surprised.

I highly doubt they do as real ponies do, just dropping a load anywhere and everywhere they please.

there is no doubt some kind of area to do business in. 

and I wouldn't be surprised if a special place would be prepared for Celestia and Luna when they visit.

there is tell that using Human "so and So" as fertilizer would be better for the environment.

so this is just another thing that makes Equestria better.

act green, be green, live green, ^_^

http://modernfarmer.com/2014/07/stink-human-poop-fertilizer/

^^ link for further reading.

also, I didn't imagine I would care about this kind of topic when I first became a brony.

*le over thing kids shows like a boss"   B)

• Brohoof 2

Well, Twilight was upset when Discord "Turned our dirt roads to soap!". Typically, equines just let drop while they are walking. Dirt roads are better for this than pavement. They do have toilets though...Rather LARGE toilets. Any one of the CMC could fit in that bowl! 

PONYT.gif

Yikes! Animating that as a GIF made the quality drop down to ew!

Edited by cuteycindyhoney
  • Brohoof 3

I think the question is more "How do they go potty when they aren't shown as having anything to go potty with?" I've seen some suggestions that, basically, they t-port it outside their bodies. Toilet training consists of learning to control when & where this happens. The episode "Baby Cakes" shows they aren't born knowing this.

Oh & Pinkie, there is probably some sort of law against letting baby Pegasi fly around without a diaper. Comes under the idea that "If you think birds are bad news..."

Thanks for that delightful image :/

Also just because they tastefully leave those parts out does not mean they don't have them. Its censoring via omission.

• Brohoof 1

Heck, The Last Roundup must have featured the only known fully plumbed outhouse in existence!

Plumbed outhouses were once rather common. We had one in the house I grew up in. We also had an indoor toilet, making the outdoor one fairly redundant, so it ended up getting knocked down when we extended our house when I was, ooohhh... about 5 years old?

• Brohoof 2

Plumbed outhouses were once rather common. We had one in the house I grew up in. We also had an indoor toilet, making the outdoor one fairly redundant, so it ended up getting knocked down when we extended our house when I was, ooohhh... about 5 years old?

Just goes to show you can learn something new every day, even about outhouses.

• Brohoof 1

Ponies are shown to be able to sit in a manner similar to humans and since it is confirmed they have bathrooms they probably do their business pretty much like humans do and I am not going to poo poo that. 

• Brohoof 1

Hehe...this topic made me remember another of those silly internet lists that I'm in the process of populating, that list being "Things Hasbro wouldn't allow a Brony to do if they were having him make a licensed My Little Pony game":

105) Even though Equestria is a pastiche of pre-electric America, and even if my own grandfather lived in that time and did this himself as a prank, not allowed to have anyone throw a cake of yeast into an outhouse.

271) Even if Equestria isn't at a technology level where they have underground sewers, the solution to the question "What to do with all the poo?" is outhouses, not a catapult aimed at Everfree Forest.

482) As funny and logical as it would be, Fluttershy doesn't have a large variety of toilets in her bathroom, starting at butterfly-sized and going up to grizzly-sized.

All this being said, I agree with CC_Maud Pie that they probably have human-like technology as far as what to do with all the poo---toilets with or without plumbing/septic tanks, outhouses, etc.

• Brohoof 2

Their toilets are probably like restrooms in China :P You know, since they can sit on the floor.

img-3302813-1-chinese-toilet1.jpg

That's what I thought! I even came up with a name they'd call it. "Necessary Slots". They'd just have to stand over it.  Now here's a thought. Has anyone ever given any thought to the water flowing out from under Celestia's throne in the opening sequence? I have! It flows for a reason!

throne.jpg

• Brohoof 2

• 1 month later...

img-3290249-1-nBnmpJP.png

img-3290249-2-LZMQnCr.png

"I don't know what to think of this...."

there is a type of etiquette for every thing, so I wouldn't be surprised.

I highly doubt they do as real ponies do, just dropping a load anywhere and everywhere they please.

there is no doubt some kind of area to do business in. 

and I wouldn't be surprised if a special place would be prepared for Celestia and Luna when they visit.

there is tell that using Human "so and So" as fertilizer would be better for the environment.

so this is just another thing that makes Equestria better.

act green, be green, live green, ^_^

http://modernfarmer.com/2014/07/stink-human-poop-fertilizer/

^^ link for further reading.

also, I didn't imagine I would care about this kind of topic when I first became a brony.

*le over thing kids shows like a boss"   B)

what on earth happened to this thread?! ponies have pets and houses and jobs and one slight detail.. They can talk! of course they have toilets although i could see the whole fertiliser thing being canon

They have outhouses and at least once they showed a proper toilet. Since they have a society I'm pretty sure they don't just go wherever they want to, especially in a big city like Manehattan.

That's what I thought! I even came up with a name they'd call it. "Necessary Slots". They'd just have to stand over it.  Now here's a thought. Has anyone ever given any thought to the water flowing out from under Celestia's throne in the opening sequence? I have! It flows for a reason!

Now it makes sense, toilets do exist they just simply don't mention them! 

• Brohoof 2

• 3 weeks later...

Using the ground is great for unicorns and earth ponies, but what about dem pegasi?

Even if they had 'cloud toilets', just think where the plumbing would go.

Just think about it. Like AJ did.

curiosity_ruined_my_life_by_veggie55-d8h

• Brohoof 2