Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Can Nickelodeon even be saved at this point?

TheMisterManGuy

I know alot of people keep beating up on Nickelodeon all the time, but honestly, is there anything the network can do to save itself again? Cartoon Network, Disney XD, and even Discovery Family are all destroying them in terms of animation. Even goddamn Qubo, a dirt-cheap, ove-the-air subchannel with NO original programming, and one third of its shows being preschool, is a better network than Nickelodeon, one of the pioneers of children's programming on cable.

I honestly wonder how Nick still gets better rattings than the alternatives when the latters are much better options for children. How are they still on the air? So back to the original question, what can the network do to be at least watchable again? I guess the only thing they can do is reformat themselves as a family co-viewing type kids network like What Discovery Family is, and what Boomerang, Disney and (supprisingly enough) Qubo are trying to do. This means bringing in people who won't just pander to the lowest common denominator.

If the network is serious about being for kids, they'd stop this unnecessary pandering they're doing, and make some quality kids entertainment.

• Brohoof 1

Why do they still have good ratings?

Oh I don't know. Because some people still enjoy their programs.

Are they any good anymore?

Not really but some of the stuff they still show is good.

Are they going to stop?

Most likely not. But talking about it on the damned internet isn't going to change anything. Write a letter or something geesh.

Actually TELL THEM what you think, tell them what you find wrong with what they're doing right now, what you think they should do. Stuff like this is good for one to collect the opinions of others to yknow tell the network what they should do.

It's not going to help any further though.

But honestly. I don't care. Yes it sucks they're pandering but be honest do you actually think they're going to stop. Not likely. It's making them money. They don't care. Just write a letter or i dont know STOP WATCHING THE CHANNEL. I watch the shows I enjoy online. So whatever crap a network pulls doesn't really matter to me unless it involves pulling shows off sites online. Then it matters to an extent. Even then I don't care.

All of these children's channels are just awful nowadays. I miss the days of Kim Possible, the older Spongebob, Drake and Josh, the other wonderful Disney cartoons. Camp Lazlo and Chowder on Cartoon Network. Man, those were great.

Disney is just corrupted with terrible sitcoms like "Liv and Maddie." And then I believe Nickelodeon has some show called "Ricky Dicky (whatever the hell his name is) and Dawn." Cartoon Networks cartoons like "Uncle Grandpa" and "Clarence" are just awful. I think "Adventure Time" is the only quality cartoon that shows up on that channel anymore.

Yuck. XD

• Brohoof 4

Cartoon Networks cartoons like "Uncle Grandpa" and "Clarence" are just awful. I think "Adventure Time" is the only quality cartoon that shows up on that channel anymore.

Yuck. XD

Are you sure? Regular Show, Over The Garden Wall, Steven Universe are all good shows. And Clarence is actually pretty good, don't let the promos mislead you. I will agree Uncle Grandpa is crap though.

• Brohoof 1

Yes, but it is going to need to make ALOT of changes to do so which if it is indeed true that Nick is getting good ratings with its lackluster programming probably won't happen anytime soon. There is clearly a market for Nickelodeons current lineup though I think part of it may be because a lot of kids simply don't know any better as they haven't seen a lot of the stuff I grew up with but either way Nickelodeon is the network least likely to have a turn around.

It can't be any worse than the crap they show on Disney Channel. I bet Walt Disney is spinning his grave over how much his company has changed. Even the parks themselves aren't the happiest places on earth anymore, at least if you have special needs like me. I don't think Nick is really that bad compared to Disney. Both networks are trying to compete with ratings and pleasing the recent craze in live action shows. No one cares much about cartoons nowadays. Then again... the only thing I care about on the nick channels is Spongebob, iCarly, Victorious, Fairly Odd Parents and Zoey 101. It's still a lot better than than the crap stuff on Disney Channel and Disney XD.

It can't be any worse than the crap they show on Disney Channel. I bet Walt Disney is spinning his grave over how much his company has changed. Even the parks themselves aren't the happiest places on earth anymore, at least if you have special needs like me. I don't think Nick is really that bad compared to Disney. Both networks are trying to compete with ratings and pleasing the recent craze in live action shows. No one cares much about cartoons nowadays. Then again... the only thing I care about on the nick channels is Spongebob, iCarly, Victorious, Fairly Odd Parents and Zoey 101. It's still a lot better than than the crap stuff on Disney Channel and Disney XD.

Disney XD is actually nowhere near as bad as Disney Channel. Mainly because XD has one thing Disney's main channel lacks, Variety. While you get the typical kidcom cheese you'd find on Disney Channel, its actually alot less pressent, allowing animation to fill in a large part of the schedule. Gravity Falls and Wander Over Yander have a new home, Doremon is on there, and there are even some niche shows like the new Pac-Man cartoon that are decent. Granted some shows could be scheduled better, but the difference between DC And XD are almost night & day.

One flaw I see nowadays in networks such as Nickelodeon and Disney, is that they focus too much on trying to put in emotional relationships and loving moments. This calls for drama, teenage drama. Which means cheating, break-ups, and other complicated things that I could care less for.

-This concept is ok, its just the amount they out into these shows, its too much.

• Brohoof 1

I do agree that Nickelodeon is (quality wise) in the gutter and I don't think they will recover, although on the plus side I'm pretty this'll destroy them someday. Although they do have teenage mutant ninja turtles and that show isn't too bad (at least the last time I saw it).

What you seem to forget a bit is that Nickelodeon is an international channel. I mean we have it in the Netherlands too and I can tell you, it's still by far the most watched kids channel with Disney being a second I guess. It's not like we've much more than those 2 anyway. We do have Cartoon Network but it's not included in most tv subscribtions here.

Back to my point anyways, it's popularity might be declining but that's not the case in every single country it airs in.

Dutch dub of mlp btw is broadcast on Nickelodeon here

Edited by Wayzer
  • Brohoof 1

I never considered any kids channel to be particularly good. Pretty much every one is mostly rubbish but has a few good shows. Also I think kids channels and shows from 10 years ago are overated as heck! Please don't hate me....

• Brohoof 2

I think that nick has fared themselves from cartoons that they are turning into another mtv (but cleanerr)

If they wanted to save themselves they would have to come up with an amazing cartoon (like as amazing as soongebob, fairy odd parents, danny phantom... Etc)

Are you sure? Regular Show, Over The Garden Wall, Steven Universe are all good shows. And Clarence is actually pretty good, don't let the promos mislead you. I will agree Uncle Grandpa is crap though.

I don't really like Regular Show at all, and I don't like Clarence either. I've never seen Over the Garden Wall. Steven Universe is good too. :3

I was really tired when I wrote all that. xD

Yes, here's how you do it:

Fire most of the executives and control quality people.

Hire people who actually care about shows and know what they're doing.

Take all of the terrible shows of their channel.

Either end Spongebob and only play reruns of seasons 1-3 or hire a new staff who have an idea of how to return it to it's prime.

Stop operating with the mindset that kids are idiots who will watch anything and need juvenile humor to enjoy something. Yes, many kids will watch anything, but most of them will still not enjoy it. Quality does count.

• Brohoof 1

Nope.. It cannot. When they have shows like:

• Sanjay and Craig
  • Bread Winners
  • Henry Danger
  • Haunted Hathaways
  • Thundermans

And so on.. these are just terrible.

Unfortunately while we may not find it entertaining, tastes and interests seem to change with each passing generation. So what we consider to be complete crap is probably very entertaining for the younger targeted demographics and thus, will continue receiving a great amount of views. Not surprising know how much times have changed. I feel sorry for the younger generations. :/

Edited by Dsanders