Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is negativity on the news really necessary?

Sugar Pea

I mean, I know there must be a lot of positive things out there the news can replace other than the negatives going on around the world. I'm aware that some of it is essential, like to alert people of a killer, amber alert, etc etc those kinds of things are definitely important! What I mean is, little stories that people can do without. I would give examples, but it's a little hard to explain.

Do you think most of the negative stuff the news plasters is really worth sharing? Or should the news be giving people a better inside look on the world today?

• Brohoof 10

"I got a story, boss."

"IT BETTER BE JUICY"

"It's about how veterans who return from service become homeless and aren't going to get anywhere in life now."

"Yeah, that'll get people to watch our news"

As long as it's a catching story, no matter how negative it is, the media will publish anything.

Edited by Couleur
  • Brohoof 7

the world is full of negativity. More negativity than positive, uplifting crap, that's for damn sure. Because there's so much of it, that's what the news is going to report on. That's how it's always been, that's how it'll continue to be.

• Brohoof 5

"I got a story, boss."

"IT BETTER BE JUICY"

"It's about how veterans who return from service become homeless and aren't going to get anywhere in life now."

"Yeah, that'll get people to watch our news"

As long as it's a catching story, no matter how negative it is, the media will publish anything.

Yeah, that'll cause a good uproar, too. >.<

• Brohoof 1

That's just how the media functions, whether we want to see it or not.  :blush:

"Bad news are good news."

Of course it is not. It is all about the money. 

First - some of negative news are not even entirely truth or are simply made to spread panic. All the shouting about wars, murders, extremists, it is not to inform people, but to scare them. We don't hear "extremist killed a person". We hear "evil muslim sacrificed an innocent person in the name of Allah!". See the difference between those two? The second one has instant emotional impact, the first one doesn't.

Second - You might wonder what is spreading panic for... answer is simple - so that people watch and follow news more. They check every article and articles, even the ones with actual good news are written in a way that would suggest something bad is happening. We also have cheap tricks. In Poland Ukraine crisis is good thing. It is pretty common that article is named, for example "200 people died in this conflict" next to picture of some random "modern" soldiers that leads to article about... uprising that took place 80 years ago. 

Third - positive informations might make people stop following the topic. They assume that matter is settled and turn away from it. News don't want that. Because that way they cut their own income and views. Positive news are not good for business in this case. It is disgusting as actually news are mostly responsible for what is happening in Ukraine itself. 

Overall - from our point of view - it is not. But if someone cares ONLY about views and income from blind drones watching TV - then negative or stupid news are a must-be. There's a reason, why I don't follow news. Barely anything that is shown in them is worth more than being thrown in nearest trash can. 

• Brohoof 4

Thing is we usually take most of the good positive things in life for granted, mainly for some reason they don't seem that important to us. For example: Some guy saves some people from drowning, reaction: Oh how wonderful. Some guy kills some people, reaction: OMG THE WORLD IS ENDING WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS WORLD.

See what I mean? We react more and focus on negative things more. Whenever something positive happens like say a fireman saving some kids, we do react, but soon after we forget about it, it doesn't stick in our mind, but when something bad happens that stuff loves to linger with us and make us feel the world is a terrible terrible place.  

Another reason is that I find most positive things in life are usually more personal, rather than things that will affect society, and because of that we don't hear about that stuff, or really even care what happens in someones personal life.

Because of all that media is going to cover negative stuff rather than positive which is a shame, cuz that only enhances the negativity in the world. I do think that not all of it isn't necessary, that some news is just covered for views, and some news is over exaggerated, which are all problems and can make things even worse, but even if we were to fix that, I'm not sure if news station will even cover more positive things. I wish they could though.

• Brohoof 2

There are a lot of very important things that the people must know and many of these things are pleasant but the way the news has covered some of these things by distorting or sensationalizing certain things or downplaying certain other things is unconscionable. The mainstream media are owned by a few major corporations which are in the back pocket of the same major corporations that own America and a pretty significant chunk of the rest of the world as well and there are certain things they want hyped up to scare the public into going along with their agenda, keep them distracted from the real issues and to downplay or distort actual important issues by spinning stories or my personal favorite calling anyone who questions this corrupt system a "conspiracy theorist".

It can be draining to pay attention to this stuff but I believe that tuning it out can be just as bad as making it your whole life. Plus the people are far more powerful than we give ourselves credit for, most of these problems are things we can do something about, granted many of them will take time but change starts with you doing your part little by little. I think we should stop complaining about how "negative" things are and actually try to do something about these "negative" things.

• Brohoof 3

yeah yeah, the news is here to keep us informed.

but you have to remember that their tv show and the more views they get the longer they stay in business.

and negative news just happens to get more views because people will feel as if they are obligated to watch or it may affect them.

south park had a wonderful episode about this.

you know some bronies complain about MLP pandering to us, but with shows like mlp it means progress, when news companies do it..... well, time to start reading it instead, because their just gonna say what ever they can to try and get you to watch. 

• Brohoof 2

Negative news generates more views. More views equals more money. I don't mind negative news if it is actually meant to inform us about it, to help us understand the situation, but nowadays it is mainly fear mongering more than it is 'informative news'.

• Brohoof 3

That's why I prefer to avoid the news at all if I can help it, all the stress it causes me really doesn't help, especially when it comes to things that I can't possible affect or have any sort of control over-especially when they have a tendency to over-exaggerate things.

As much as its important to let people know about how much the world sucks, it would be nice if they could balance out all the doom and gloom with a bit more positive things that have been happening, but of course people won't follow the news more for updates as much if that happened.

So, personally it's gotten to the point where I feel like I've really become too jaded to care about anything that's reported.

• 3 weeks later...

I will say this even if there is negativity let's just say this better be important. I had to do a project on genetic therapy and I found it long and jam-packed with negativity. Ugh it was a nightmare, can we bronies and pegasisters go to Equestria yet?

Fear sells my friend, always has and alway will be.

Edited by Hypnosparkle

It is because it gets views and that's it. I heard stories of a news network that tried to do nothing but report good news and it lost viewers in doing so. I don't watch the news cause all it wants you to do is panic and be afraid of all the stuff that's happening right now. When I was a kid news was boring as an adult it's just depressing.

• Brohoof 1

Honesty, I think they do any topic they feel will get them views.

I think showing more positive segments, and updates on community events would do viewers some good.

I only watch the news every now and then, because I don't like the disinformation, the media twists so many more stories than your average bear would like to believe.

• Brohoof 1

It's pretty much been said already, but negative stuff can help people be informed and cautious about life, and it also can get a lot of views and attention. I don't mind it, I simply don't like how frequent it is and how some new sites and stations use it to sensationalize and spread misinformation (even lies). I think news is at a place where ratings/site hits are more important than informing people, where even high profiles news is using whatever is most eye-grabbing just to stay relevant at the expense of the truth. I'm probably getting off-topic, but what I want to say is that it isn't bad if done in moderation, and does not give people wrong ideas. The existences itself is necessary.