Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Sonic's Massive Reboot

Twi Rubix

Sonic's Reboot  

17 users have voted

1. 1. What is your opinion on the reboot?

• Great! Sonic needs this reboot!
    • Okay. some issues here and there, but good idea overall.
    • Not sure. I need gameplay/screenshots
    • Not good. All this doesn't sound too promising.
    • Terrible! This will kill the franchise!

wasn't Sonic Unleashed, Sonic Colors, and Sonic Generations supposed to be a reboot, too? i'm sure i've heard about how those games were supposed to reboot the franchise and breathe new life in it.

Sonic Unleashed tried to combine beat-em-up style games(the night stages) with Sonic gameplay. They failed miserably. Sonic Colours was just intended to be a colorful Sonic game for children. It wasn't bad, but it was too easy. Generations was just for nostalgia-gasms. Sonic 2006 was intended to be the true series reboot.

A reboot MIGHT not be a bad idea, though Unleashed and Generations is doing a fair job for fixing some of the damage caused by Sonic 2006 when they tried to make Sonic too serious.

Leave the humans out, don't try to be serious, basically make it like a Saturday Morning cartoon and I think this'll be fine.

Sonic 2006 was supposed to be the series reboot.

We all know how that turned out.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=27RVJJfny4I

We must never speak of this again.

• Brohoof 1

UPDATE: Just to clarify, this is a rumor. Some friends of mine say its likely fake. I am a very gullible person so I may have made it sound official. Sorry if it was misleading in any way.

Rumors gotta come from somewhere so maybe they at least have a bit of truth to them.

Not necessarily. Someone may have just come up with all those to troll. Either way, though, I like some of those ideas.

(edited)

SEGA and Sonic Team are looking to Monetize Sonic.

Its gonna be a massive and total reboot.

They are commited to the reboot.

Speed, Platforming, and surreal environments are the same.

Sonic and Eggman's rivalry will continue.

Sonic and Eggman will get a massive makeover.

Everything else (Yes, everything.) are seeing radical changes. Including Tails.

New universe and characters.

New gameplay and gimmicks.

New engine.

No concern of photo realism,

Might be Like Burnout Paradise.

Zones return as massive levels with a bunch of missions.

Could have models/figures for collection to target the young audience. Also used to unlock special features in-game.

New cartoon series is thought of.

Classic characters are DLC.

I crossed off everything I DON'T think should happen. I think what they need to do is go back to Sonic, Eggman, and Tails. POSSIBLY Knuckles, should they be able to fit him into the story. But those should be the core 3. Its nice when they have side characters that only appear in one game, like Chip or Marine, but don't keep them unless there's fan demand. That's one of my biggest complaints with the Sonic series as it is, too many characters to keep track of.

I think they should keep the Hedgehog Engine. It looks nice, it sounds nice, and most importantly, it plays right. As long as they focus on speed, and not gimmicks, Sonic will be Sonic. For example, many will agree that Sonic Unleashed was pretty awesome, but a lot of people will agree that the nighttime stages really weren't needed. They're nice as a mini-game of sorts, but being required to do them really took the thrill out of the game for me. Sonic Colors Is a perfect example of what a Sonic game should be, fast, funny, and gimmicks that work well.

Sonic and Eggman don't need makeovers, neither does Tails, they're perfect the way they are. Sonic's the coll one, Tails is the smart one, and Eggman is the moronic bad guy. Simple, sweet, and to the point. The ONLY change I'd like to see is for Tails to be much more independent. During the Sonic Adventure series, he clung on to Sonic WAY too much. Its nice that Sonic's his idol, and like a big brother to him, but it doesn't mean you should be attached to him like a magnet. They started downplying it a bit, but its still noticeable.

Cartoon series? SatAM was pretty awesome, and Adventures of StH was pretty goofy. Both of them really stand out from other cartoons of the time. Sonic X was ok, not as great as the previous 2, but not as terrible. Season 2 was much better, but I hate it that 4Kids seems to love it to death. I mean, its STILL on (On the CW here). Give it a rest guys, it was nice when it was new, but not any more.

As for the figures and toys... Yeah, no. Skylanders did it just right. They released the game at just the right time, its fun, and its just awesome.If everyone else starts doing the same thing, then the games will lose their charm, like Pokemon cards.. Remmeber you had Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, Magic the Gathering, etc. They're all still around (somewhat) but not as popular as they once were. Once everyone started trying to capitalize on Pokemon's success, everything lost value.

I could go on, but I think I made it clear enough, a reboot is needed, but it need not be a radical depature from the current formula. Go the route of Pokemon, Black and White actually had a story, yet almost everything still worked the way it always has. Imagine if most of the rules had changed, like more Pokemon in the party, or more than 4 moves could be learned. It'd be a mess. Keep it simple, and keep your fans close, they're the ones buying the games.

EDIT: Even though its a rumor, looks like quitre a few gaming websites are picking it up. Who knows what the future holds?

Edited by Kapi

• 7 years later...
On 4/6/2012 at 9:32 AM, Twi Rubix said:

What is your opinion on this?

Reboots are so last decade! (oh, been there, done that already)

There has already been so many redesigns of Sonic. The main issues are still there. While Sonic keeps trying to change to appeal to old and new people, Mario is just standing there and is making money off 8-bit sprites! (play Super Mario Maker and see for yourself, no reboot is needed there)