Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler I created a handy episode list for people who prefer the S1&2 vibe.

GuillermoGage

Spoilers for last episode of Season 3, but not really anything else.

So, we tend to hear quite a few fans talk about how the show has lost its magic since Season 3 started, and that the show is now more about literal spellcasting, lasers, and action violence, and fan pandering with meme-ish situations and characters, and that S1&2 had more slice-of-life stories.

Well, I've whittled down S3 and S4 into one 26-episode season, divided into two half-seasons of thirteen episodes each.

Season 3A:

The Crystal Empire (Parts 1 & 2)

One Bad Apple

Magic Duel

Sleepless in Ponyville

Wonderbolts Academy

Apple Family Reunion

For Whom the Sweetie Belle Toils

Keep Calm and Flutter On

Just for Sidekicks

Games Ponies Play

Flight to the Finish!

Magical Mystery Cure

(Twilight doesn't appear at all in FWtSBT or FttF! as far as I know, so figured I could place those episodes before MMC, because the feel like they could also be pre-MMC episodes)

HIATUS of some length

Season 3B:

Princess Twilight Sparkle (Parts 1 & 2)

Rarity Takes Manehatten

Pinkie Apple Pie

Rainbow Falls

Three's A Crowd

Pinkie Pride (remove filly Maud Pie)

Twilight Time

It's Not Easy Being Breezies

Leap of Faith

Equestria Games!

Twilight's Kingdom (Parts 1 & 2)

The point of this list is that these 26 episodes that are Post-Season 2, best exemplify the vibe that Season 1 and 2 friendly vibe aficianados are into.

Well, just there, I deleted some of the more goofy and wacky adventurey episodes out of existence, but preserved the ones that "have to stay" in terms of continuity and "giving Princess Twilight some character development.

But then again, Testing, Testing, 1 2 3 and Trade Ya! are also apparently important episodes for Princess Twilie's development... so if they are willing to have there be 15 episodes post-MMC up to and including the end of the Rainbow Power/Trinket arc, then I suppose that would or could help people who "wish the show stayed grounded in that sweet, casual Ponyville".

What do you make of this? Do you think that the episodes that I removed into un-existence were something that... without them being there, recent MLP just doesn't seem whole? Or do you reckon that there's just some episodes that you don't care for because they don't contribute to the narrative or mess up your vibe of what initially and/or still makes FiM an attractive show instead of a stumbling show?

Edited by GuillermoGage
  • Brohoof 1

Wait wait wait. You tossing Too many Pinkie Pies but  keeping One Bad Apple? OK I don't understand that at all.

Also, you only kept the plot important episodes and got rid of the fun slice of life. Well I get plot progression there should still be some good ole fashioned fun.

• Brohoof 2

Wait wait wait. You tossing Too many Pinkie Pies but  keeping One Bad Apple? OK I don't understand that at all.

Also, you only kept the plot important episodes and got rid of the fun slice of life. Well I get plot progression there should still be some good ole fashioned fun.

I figure that Lauren-Faustian types dislike overly out-there magical/supernatural elements, which is central to TMPP.

I actually don't think there was anything as blatantly supernatural as creating several dozen copies of oneself before that episode.

I mean, where does the matter an energy to create those clones come from? I'm thinking about alchemy and the Law of Equivalent Exchange here. Do the clones have a consciousness? How is that created?

For that matter, Magic Duel is also problematic because, as someone has mentioned on some other thread here, Season 1 Magic, and I reckon S2 magic as well, was all originating from living, biological things, with the exception of the Elements of Harmony.. which where sacred artifacts and not everyday objects one could stumble upon such as Season 3's Alicorn Amulet. But then again, the Spirits of the Elements of Harmony reside in the Mane 6 or something, but not really because they need to wear the physical thingies in order to make villians taste the rainbow.

I do realize that I absolutely had to include the season premieres and finales, and also the trinket episodes, but then again, the trinket episodes are essentially slice-of-life episodes... even if they involve travel and transforming into Breezies. It's not like they had an actual adventure with fighting monsters.

...I don't really agree with the list I made, I just wonder if it pleases the people who think the show went off the deep end immediately once S3 started.

Even tho I am trying to maintain continuity by not removing the "big" episodes, which could be one of the major reasons why Lauren-Faustians became S1&2-preferring loyalists...

I am just playing around with the episodes and seeing if trimming away some of the more wacky recent ones (Spike At Your Service, Castle-mania, Bats, Daring Don't, Power Ponies, etc.) removes the bad taste that ... and apparently this is a phrase now, because I say so... jaded Bronies have.

They're like jaded gamers, but with MLP:FiM.

Me personally, there are atrociously bad episodes and excellent episodes in every season.

TV shows and cartoons over the years often don't fit into this neat little box of "It started out excellent and remained excellent until this point, and you can pretend the episode immediately before the first bad episode was the series finale" FiM is simultaneously better and worse than it was at the end of S1.

For that matter, Magic Duel is also problematic because, as someone has mentioned on some other thread here, Season 1 Magic, and I reckon S2 magic as well, was all originating from living, biological things, with the exception of the Elements of Harmony.. which where sacred artifacts and not everyday objects one could stumble upon such as Season 3's Alicorn Amulet. But then again, the Spirits of the Elements of Harmony reside in the Mane 6 or something, but not really because they need to wear the physical thingies in order to make villians taste the rainbow.

Oh wow, someone actually saw value in something I said! :D

(edited)

Oh wow, someone actually saw value in something I said! :D

That was you? Okay, well I'mma scan through my history and look at that thread.

EDIT: like 17 minutes later, I add the link. Dulset Tarn is the first reponse in this thread, mentioning biological magic in Season 1: http://mlpforums.com/topic/118826-the-show-then-and-now-whats-different/

By the way, I;m about to post a big assessment in reply to you about yet another analysis of episode-picking.

But.. but, that's a special development episode for our precious lavender Princess!

EDIT: the morning after: I'm referring to "Three's A Crowd".

And S4 is practically not a season at all without the arc, and if you remove so much as one episode from that arc, then the whole arc has to be thrown out the window.

Even tho I count two-parters as one episode usually, I am going in a studio production sense, so...

these are the 17 non-arc episodes from the S4 of reality:

Castle-Mania

Daring Don't

Flight to the Finish

Power Ponies

Bats!

Pinkie Apple Pie

Three's A Crowd

Simple Ways

Filli Vanilli

Twilight Time

Somepony to Watch Over Me

Maud Pie

Testing Testing 1 2 3

Trade Ya

Inspiration Manifestation

Equestria Games!

If you wanna keep my plan of moving Sweetie Belle Toils and Flight to the Finish as pre-MMC episodes, then that narrows it down to removing just two episodes (and there are plenty of overly epic adventurey episodes here to purge) for a total of the thirteen episodes to follow up MMC, same number of episodes as the ones leading up to and including MMC.

But if you do that, then Princess Twilight really does become even more of a merchandise thing than before. at that point, we might as well remove MMC and then we'll have to remove every S4 episode where her having wings or being a Princess is an unignorable part of the plot:

Castle-Mania

Daring Don't (Is her flying important in this episode?)

Flight to the Finish

Power Ponies (Is her flying important in this episode?)

Bats!

Pinkie Apple Pie

Three's A Crowd

Simple Ways

Filli Vanilli

Twilight Time

Somepony to Watch Over Me

Maud Pie

Testing Testing 1 2 3

Trade Ya

Inspiration Manifestation ??????

Equestria Games! ????? Could the plot be altered where Twilight just does it, but not from some throne???

That's six episodes that I am certain would work without AliTwi.

Plus the twelve from "Season 3A" for a total of a shorter, 18-episode Season 3, probably aired without any hiatus, that ends with Equestria Games and delays making Princess Twilight a thing.

then again, probably might as well include "Just for Sidekicks" in there.

I removed it, along with Filli Vanilli and some other episodes initially because I figured that flanderization is another thing that Faust-loyalists hate just as much as adventure, but I suppose I'll put it back.

... but nineteen episodes is not a nice, even number, probably gonna have to put another episode back in.

...huh... is Twi's flying or princess-ness important in Bats!?

Edited by GuillermoGage

That was you? Okay, well I'mma scan through my history and look at that thread.

By the way, I;m about to post a big assessment in reply to you about yet another analysis of episode-picking.

I'm not sure what you mean but I can't wait!

The irony of the situation above though is that Magic Duel was one of my two favorite episodes of season 3 :P

if you remove so much as one episode from that arc, then the whole arc has to be thrown out the window.

I completely agree :)

And man, Just for Sidekicks was a pretty damn good one. It actually had some clever writing with everything going full circle.

Also hey, another person who says "AliTwi", nice!

And thanks for that list, showing just how completely worthless Twilight's ascension was to the entire season XD

The irony of the situation above though is that Magic Duel was one of my two favorite episodes of season 3 :P

Look at the post directly above the post of yours that I am quoting.

I edited it and now it has an episode list that postpones AliTwi entirely.

If those episodes had their animation edited to make Twilie just a regular unicorn, removing her wings and making her the regular height, then they can still work in a "not a princess" setting.

Look at the post directly above the post of yours that I am quoting.

I edited it and now it has an episode list that postpones AliTwi entirely.

If those episodes had their animation edited to make Twilie just a regular unicorn, removing her wings and making her the regular height, then they can still work in a "not a princess" setting.

Arguably, Twilight Time and Trade Ya can still work just as well if you just replace "princess" with "hero" :P

I completely agree :)

And man, Just for Sidekicks was a pretty damn good one. It actually had some clever writing with everything going full circle.

Also hey, another person who says "AliTwi", nice!

And thanks for that list, showing just how completely worthless Twilight's ascension was to the entire season XD

Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not, because I had to chuck quite a few non-trinket episodes out of there.

... Sometimes I feel as if I am pressured into hating JFS because it is a "stupid episode where Spike is stupid" but at the same time it kinda has a good moral about how being cheap and lazy or trying to buy things instead of earn things doesn't pay off, sorta like with "The Cutie Pox". Actually, It is the superior of the two interlinked episodes, it is superior to it's same-time counterpart "Games Poneis Play" which has that stupid typical mistaken identity plot common in cartoons. But we can't delete that one from existence; it introduces the Equestria Games. That would require a rewrite. 

Arguably, Twilight Time and Trade Ya can still work just as well if you just replace "princess" with "hero" :P

You mean in the sense that she has saved the world or at least Equestria multiple times? But to what degree was that solely her and to what degree is she any more of a hero than her other Element of Harmony friends? In a manner that little fillies will know the specifics of what initiatives she took upon herself to begin the process of defeating Discord and such?

I just realized that we are doing the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic equivalent of people who are planning on editing the Hobbit movie trilogy into like one film.

Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not, because I had to chuck quite a few non-trinket episodes out of there.

... Sometimes I feel as if I am pressured into hating JFS because it is a "stupid episode where Spike is stupid" but at the same time it kinda has a good moral about how being cheap and lazy or trying to buy things instead of earn things doesn't pay off, sorta like with "The Cutie Pox". Actually, It is the superior of the two interlinked episodes, it is superior to it's same-time counterpart "Games Poneis Play" which has that stupid typical mistaken identity plot common in cartoons. But we can't delete that one from existence; it introduces the Equestria Games. That would require a rewrite. 

It was superior by far, definitely. And requiring a rewrite well, that's kind of the deal. You're a little bit crazy trying to do all this withut a rewrite, you have to know that!

You mean in the sense that she has saved the world or at least Equestria multiple times? But to what degree was that solely her and to what degree is she any more of a hero than her other Element of Harmony friends? In a manner that little fillies will know the specifics of what initiatives she took upon herself to begin the process of defeating Discord and such?

That's a very good question! Now ask yourself the exact same thing about Twilight alone becoming a princess in the first place! ;)

(edited)

It was superior by far, definitely. And requiring a rewrite well, that's kind of the deal. You're a little bit crazy trying to do all this without a rewrite, you have to know that!

That's a very good question! Now ask yourself the exact same thing about Twilight alone becoming a princess in the first place! ;)

I still believe that you cannot become an Alicorn/ Alicorn Princess just because of having good morals/being the embodiment of an Element of Harmony. You basically also have to be a literal magician. Twilie always had this potential and wisdom in her that is something moreso than what her friends have.

She alone can be a princess because she alone is the surrogate audience for people with zero social experience... or ... something. Even Fluttershy is more sociable in a sense.

Which is why I don't get what Cadance being a former pegasus is about. Maybe I should read that book about it, if it is any good and not just a kiddie chapter book.

Edited by GuillermoGage

My take is that it's not the story so much as how well you tell it. (Seasons 1 and 2 had their action plots, memes, and references that I had no problem with.) To me, what season 3 lost a lot of, and season 4 was slow to regain, was the genuine sense of inspiration, the fluid storytelling that made the characters feel very organic and fun. And actaully, while you did get a good chunk of my favorite episodes from the past two seasons, you also listed a few I thought were the most guilty of losing that. (One Bad Apple, Magic Duel, Games Ponies Play, Magical Mystery Cure, Rarity Takes Manehattan, Twilight Time...) 

But then, I was all-in-all pretty satisfied with Season 4 (even if I don't consider it the best), so I might be the wrong one to ask.

• Brohoof 1

If one were to remove all the episodes from S3&4 that:

1. Are Trinket arc episodes or episodes that require AliTwi and cannot be mildly rewritten to make her not AliTwi.

2. Have too much strange, non-biological magic (I am not removing Magic Duel because it has good... character development / is special)

3. Is just really stupid and OOC in my own opinion (SpikeAYS, Simple Ways, Somepony to Watch Over Me) and is stupid in a way that S1&2ers would hate.

Then the following episodes would be removed:

Too Many Pinkie Pies

SAYS

MMC

PTwi parts 1 and 2

Castlemania

Daring Don't

Power Ponies

Rarity Takes Manehattan

Rainbow Falls

Three's A Crowd

Pinkie Pride

Simple Ways

Twilight Time

IAEBB

STWOM

Leap of Faith

TT123

Trade Ya!

Twilight's Kingdom parts 1 and 2

that's 22 removed episodes.

Here's an alternate, more casual Season 3 consisting of 17 episodes:

(The real-life S4 episodes here can be rewritten to have Twi not have wings or be a princess.)

One Bad Apple

Magic Duel

Sleepless in Ponyville

Wonderbolts Academy

Apple Family Reunion

Keep Calm and Flutter On

Just For Sidekicks

Games Ponies Play

Flight to the Finish!

Bats!

Pinkie Apple Pie

Filli Vanilli

Maud Pie

Equestria Games!

the season would end right there, with a Spike episode.

Semi-epic, but not a "real" adventure, such as TBNE.

Then for Season 4, or just eventually there would be a series of new episodes that would turn Twilie into an alicorn Princess "better than how MMC did it"

Or maybe these new "important Twilight development episodes" could be inserted throughout the 17-epiIf one were to remove all the episodes from S3&4 that:

1. Are Trinket arc episodes or episodes that require AliTwi and cannot be mildly rewritten to make her not AliTwi.

2. Have too much strange, non-biological magic (I am not removing Magic Duel because it has good... character development / is special)

3. Is just really stupid and OOC in my own opinion (SpikeAYS, Simple Ways, Somepony to Watch Over Me) and is stupid in a way that S1&2ers would hate.

Then the following episodes would be removed:

Too Many Pinkie Pies

SAYS

MMC

PTwi parts 1 and 2

Castlemania

Daring Don't

Power Ponies

Rarity Takes Manehattan

Rainbow Falls

Three's A Crowd

Pinkie Pride

Simple Ways

Twilight Time

IAEBB

STWOM

Leap of Faith

TT123

Trade Ya!

that's 22 removed episodes.

Here's an alternate, more casual Season 3 consisting of 17 episodes:

(The real-life S4 episodes here can be rewritten to have Twi not have wings or be a princess.)

One Bad Apple

Magic Duel

Sleepless in Ponyville

Wonderbolts Academy

Apple Family Reunion

Keep Calm and Flutter On

Just For Sidekicks

Games Ponies Play

Flight to the Finish!

Bats!

Pinkie Apple Pie

Filli Vanilli

Maud Pie

Equestria Games!

the season would end right there, with a Spike episode.

Semi-epic, but not a "real" adventure, such as TBNE.

Eventually, Twilight would become an alicorn princess somehow, and then these 14 episodes could be aired:

PTwi parts 1 and 2

Castlemania

Rarity Takes Manehattan

Rainbow Falls

Three's A Crowd

Pinkie Pride

Twilight Time

IAEBB

Leap of Faith

TT123

Trade Ya!

Depending on one's individual "anti-adventure" or "pro-adventure" tastes, one can add remove Bats! and/or Daring Don't, for a post-AliTwi total of 13 to 15 episodes.

It's too bad really, Castle Mane-ia was the only one from season 4 I'd say is truly season 1-ish.

And also too bad about Rarity Takes Manehattan, if minor edits are allowed that would be great if you just get rid of the trinket.

It's too bad really, Castle Mane-ia was the only one from season 4 I'd say is truly season 1-ish.

And also too bad about Rarity Takes Manehattan, if minor edits are allowed that would be great if you just get rid of the trinket.

Twilight being a princess/being introduced to the old castle other than the Friendship is Magic premiere(in some way similar to PTS two-parter) or at least her and the Mane 6 having some realistic reason to be there is required for that episode to exist.

I have thought about taking some of the trinket episodes and having then exist as "not trinket" episodes...

But this hypothetical redesigning of post-Season 2 still holds onto the hope that that story arc could still be used.

Then again, if one were to want the trinket arc to still happen intact with the box and keys, this hypothetical redesigning is also dependent on Twilight becoming a princess since her insecurity about being a princess is a major theme of her trinket episode.

Plus Twi can't fight Tirek without being an alicorn.

If some people really hate AliTwi, then I guess the five "regular"(non-Twilight's Kingdom) trinket episodes can be adapted to not be important.

... actually, those episodes can still possibly include the characters giving the protagonist pony a memento object, but it wouldn't shine rainbow colors with obvious foreshadowing.

As far as I know, all five of those episodes can be adapted without AliTwi/Princess Twilight. She doesn't even appear at all in "Leap of Faith".

So add those five episodes to the most recent version of that Season 3, no Princess Twilight, no weird magic, no crappy OOC episode list I made:

Season 3 realistically begins in early 2013, probably premiering no later tha April, so the wait won't be more than a year:

One Bad Apple

Magic Duel

Sleepless in Ponyville

Wonderbolts Academy

Apple Family Reunion

Keep Calm and Flutter On

Just For Sidekicks

Games Ponies Play

GPP is a "midseason finale"; the "mini-hiatus" lasts until we resume with Flight to the Finish, on Saturday, December 14, 2013, which is when it aired in real life.

Flight to the Finish!

Bats!

Rarity Takes Manehatten

Pinkie Apple Pie

Rainbow Falls

Pinkie Pride

Filli Vanilli

It Ain't Easy Being Breezies

Maud Pie

Leap of Faith

Equestria Games!

That's 22 episodes.

At this point, I'm not exactly sure who this list is for.

I suppose it is for people who want AliTwi/Princess Twi to never happen or be delayed til the end of the series, and also for people who want less "epic, actiony" episodes sprinkled in between season premieres and season finales... and also people who hate OOC episodes... but then again, the ones that I deemed badly enough OOC to warrant purging are my own opinion. There are people who hate "Putting Your Hoof Down" and I'll never cater to them, just like there are people who will never make a list catering to my hatred of "Simple Ways".

Also... In "The Crystal Empire", Celestia and Luna's dialogue, plus the episode overall, sort of hint at something special happening to Twilight... so I dunno if it is appropriate.

I guess they can somehow downplay that aspect.

But I peesonally believe that episode is essential to Twilight's development.

(edited)

I thought you were leaving Games Ponies Play out. It really is nonsense when you think about it.

I guess we have to give up the entire Equestria Games arc then.

But then again, not really; we could just casually declare that the Crystal Empire is getting the Games in Flight to the Finish! After all, do the Crystal ponies really have to "earn" the games after what the went thru?

But I actually like the character of Ms. Harshwhinny. Can we still have her in FttF!? Would her dialogue and whatnot as-is in that episode still be funny even without first meeting her in Games Ponies Play?

Also, we might need to rewrite the dialogue in JFS so it is not about the Mane 6 leaving Spike behind so they can get the Crystal Empire to host the Equestria Games.

But then again I dunno if they were mentiong that to Spike or if they were just talking vaguely about "important business in the Crystal Empire". Also, establish that Spike has already gotten a chance to visit the place a second time and is legitimately, obviously more interested in baking his cake than tagging along with the Mane 6 this time around.

Well, that makes 21 episodes, and then JFS can serve as the last episode before a non-season finale, but still hiatus until Flight to the Finish! is ready.

I personally like the Crystal Empire premiere.

Edited by GuillermoGage

I like Crystal Empire too. It gets some silly flak.

But really? You're leaving Flight to the Finish in too? I never made the connection before, but Games Ponies Play, Flight to the Finish, Rainbow Falls, and Equestria Games were all really stupid and unnecessary and the series would probably be better without them. Harshwhinny just can't save the arc from being really really dumb.

(edited)

I like Crystal Empire too. It gets some silly flak.

But really? You're leaving Flight to the Finish in too? I never made the connection before, but Games Ponies Play, Flight to the Finish, Rainbow Falls, and Equestria Games were all really stupid and unnecessary and the series would probably be better without them. Harshwhinny just can't save the arc from being really really dumb.

Well, I guess my specialized version of Season 3 can take away all those episodes and be completely arc-less.

Season 2 had no arcs whatsoever afaik.

But since I like those episodes, Especially FttF!, then this is also moreso somewhat your list.

Then...uh...

One Bad Apple

Magic Duel

Sleepless in Ponyville

Wonderbolts Academy

Apple Family Reunion

Keep Calm and Flutter On

Just For Sidekicks

Bats!

Rarity Takes Manehatten

Pinkie Apple Pie

Pinkie Pride

Filli Vanilli

It Ain't Easy Being Breezies

Maud Pie

Leap of Faith

That's 18 episodes, with a random episode at the end that doesn't feel like a season finale.

That's what I have so far.

Also... maybe, considering how anemic the 18-episode selection is, and since Rainbow Dash's trinket episode was taken away... maybe we can put Daring Don't back in?

As for episodes such as "Power Ponies" and "Inspiration Manifestation"...

So, Dulset Tarn, and anyone else, what exactly is your position on magical artifacts like those, ans of those episodes?

Considering the "not over yet" teases at the very ends of PP, Castlemania, Bats!... maybe some of those could've been part of an arc that tied in with Magic Duel and specifically challenge Twilight, causing her to become an alicorn Princess, maybe at the end of a 26-episode season In which the above 18 episodes are a part of.

Edited by GuillermoGage

Man I tell ya, if you try hard to appease me of all people, you'll wind up with like 10 episodes at most between the two seasons...

I hope you get some opinions from other people ^^;

Well well, then. Are all "like 10" of those episodes possible to exist without AliTwi? (By "the two seasons" indeed you refer to S3 and S4 I reckon)

... then we can have an arcless "like 10" episode season that suddenly ends... and then the whole series goes on indefinite hiatus with no new episodes in a long time and MLP:FiM gradually becomes more and more of an Invader Zim-style cult hit over time.

It starts to get a reputation similar to that of Family Guy or Arrested Development, which prompts the eventual creation of a fourth and final season ending in a movie where Twilight becomes an alicorn princess.

And then the fandom will resemble some Joss Whedon fandom. Whether that is a good thing, or something else... I wouldn't know for sure, I'm not very familiar with his fandom-inducing works, I just know his fanbase is rather close-knit.

Well personally my problem with season 3/4 is because of the way its now all about destiny and whatnot, just with the whole Twilight becoming princess... I'm not huge on that idea, however I don't fully understand the complaints about these seasons because I thought they were epic! Sure, its different in many ways but the episodes can still be super awesome! I like what you've done here but I just think season 3/4 just needed to be more relatable when it comes to twilight (so not as princess-ey) then all these problems would have been gone. Even though they can make for some epic episodes