Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are bronies too hard on G3 MLP?

SteveMorison

Now other than reviews I have only seen A Very Minty Christmas and Positively Pink from G3 as well as Sweetie Belle's Gumball House Surprise and Over two Rainbows (this one was terrible btw) from G3.5 and whilst I agree it is dumb, low in quality and stereotypically girly I have to ask was it meant to be any different? FiM sure makes it look bad but Faust created FiM specifically to appeal to both children and their parents, wheras the G3 specials were most likely intended to be a product that would keep your 3 year old daughter quiet whilst you finished the required housework. I think about other shows for toddlers such as Bob the Builder, Teletubbies and Peppa Pig and wonder are the plots in these shows any less boring or dumb than the ones in G3 MLP?

• Brohoof 1

They're way too hard on G3. I personally love G3 since it's something you can sit down and enjoy without having to think about each and every movement each character makes.

And imo, FiM is better than G3 but not as much as bronies think, it's better but not as cute and relaxing as G3. Plus G4 doesn't have best pony Star Catcher. 

• Brohoof 3

If they've barely seen any material from that generation, I could understand why you'd think they're too hard. G3 did have one good thing, and that was Minty.

By the way, I've seen almost all of the G3 films.

Yeah, a bit. G3 really isn't that bad, and you can have a lot of fun watching it with friends. It's nice to just watch something lighthearted and silly without having to think too much about what's going every once in a while. Plus, G3 has best pony: Minty. :)

Edited by Blue Moon
  • Brohoof 7

I agree that some people hate G3 so much. If the previous generations had not existed, we wouldn't have Friendship is Magic. Maybe it's time to start accepting it for what it is. Yes, it's bad; the characters are non-existent, the character designs are ugly in my opinion, there were no conflicts or even a plot, and it was written by mostly guys who thought they knew what little girls wanted. They didn't care as long as their toys sold. I could go on and on about the problems with G3.
But it was never meant to be looked that far into, and I can see very young girls enjoying it. There are worse kids' shows, because apparently the people who create things think for kids = stupid, boring, stereotyping gender roles, etc. That's obviously wrong and I wish it weren't that way.
However, if this thing had never come to light, we wouldn't have FiM, or at least it would be different. Rainbow Dash, Rarity, Sweetie Belle, and some other characters we know and love originally came from that generation.

I don't like G3, but I don't hate it either. People need to stop acting like FiM came first and complaining that the characters don't have the same personality as the generation 4 version. We just need to accept it and move on.

Edited by Emerald Star
  • Brohoof 5

Honestly, too many are too soft on G3. Except G3.5, G3 is an example of blatant pandering to little girls. Little to no genuine conflict. One-dimensional stereotypes. Little to no sense of pacing. You know the rest. The G3 specials treat girls as if they're stupid. Girls love genuine conflict, three-dimensional characters that they can look up to, and great stories.

The reason many people believe they're hard on G3 is because G3 "really is for little kids," and that you should relax and not think so much when enjoying it. There's a term for this: turning off the brain. It doesn't matter if it's once in a while or always. The second someone turns off the brain or doesn't need to use the brain to know what a character does and acts, then you're admitting the quality sucks and proving my main thesis in my rant. Good stories should have depth and help make people think. Making people think and analyze treats the audience, especially kids, with respect.

Often, Friendship Is Magic produces quality content that makes people think and relate to the character, and the conflicts are often very real. G3 never does that. Faust and DHX fought against this ageist stigma when producing FIM, and it's time to call that out more.

If the previous generations had not existed, we wouldn't have Friendship is Magic. Maybe it's time to start accepting it for what it is.

Why should we accept it as is? G3 demonstrated how not to write feminine content. If we don't criticize it, then you're sending a message to the animation industry that you tolerate this content. There wasn't much family-friendly-quality feminine content then, and there isn't now despite FIM's and Littlest Pet Shop's successes.

But it was never meant to be looked that far into, and I can see very young girls enjoying it.

As said earlier, the second you admit that you don't need to think deeply into the content, then there are serious problems with the content. Some of the best "children's" content always has both kids and adults enjoying it without having to turn off the mind. All-ages, gender-neutral, family-friendly entertainment is the type of product we need as both bronies and fans of quality animation. FIM's main series — not EQG — has this. Pixar has this. Steven Universe has this. This is something we should strive for: criticize the faults so no one else makes these same mistakes.

Are there worse out there? Definitely. Many of Nickelodeon's cartoons are more repulsive in every regard. But it doesn't make G3 any better.

Edited by Old King Q
  • Brohoof 10

I say yes... it is as much as a classic as G2 and G1.... I use to hate G3 because everyone hated it so I went with their word then when I actually decided to take a look at it myself it wasn't half as bad as everyone kept saying it was

but really what is to hate all the characters are lovable, they are all funny, the plots are interesting, and since we know all generations take place in the same world humans in Equestria are cannon (a human Santa was in G3)

do I think it is overly hated? yes. Do I care that it is overly hated? no let the others have their own opinion so long as I can have mine

Plus, G3 has best pony: Minty. :)

anypony who loves G3 knows Minty is best pony.... as for me its a tie between Minty and G3 Pinkie Pie

• Brohoof 3

G3 does get way too much crap for something so inoffensive. It's just cutesy fluff, At worst, it's dull. Is that really so bad for a bunch of direct to video cartoons made to push playsets?

Seriously, when did cartoons become serious business? I thought it was supposed to be lighthearted entertainment, but apparently I'm wrong.

Also, Thistle Whistle is best G3.

• Brohoof 3

G3 does get way too much crap for something so inoffensive. It's just cutesy fluff, At worst, it's dull. Is that really so bad for a bunch of direct to video cartoons made to push playsets?

Seriously, when did cartoons become serious business? I thought it was supposed to be lighthearted entertainment, but apparently I'm wrong.

Art.  We, as humanity, deserve good art.

Lazy art is a waste of culture. 

G3 was lazy, just like the aforementioned ones, they deserve to be told in no uncertain terms that they're being lazy and kids deserve better because maybe if the kids get better, culture and the future will be better.

Given that statement, a stupid comment is still a stupid comment.  But, if you're going the LittleShy route of tasteful satire or @'s, thoughtful analysis route, kvetch away.  

Edited by paradoxical
  • Brohoof 5

I think so. Generation 3 is certainly not outstanding by many means, but it's certainly not the worst thing ever. At most, it's simply forgettable. Perhaps some bronies hate on G3 because they don't want to admit fully that they like MLP? Or to make Friendship is Magic seem better in the eyes of people who don't particularly like it?

"Oh yeah, hah. I like Friendship is Magic. But no, I don't like My Little Pony. Generation 3 absolute trash. Now Friendship is Magic, on the other hand..."

• Brohoof 6

Sigh, even if G3 sucks, you shouldn't bash it. You guys sounds a lot like anti-bronies to G3. Maybe it isn't the best, but bashing it and stuff makes us no better than the anti-bronies. Let people enjoy what they like. If you don't like it, avoid it, is all. Seesh. I say that bronies are very hard of something that doesn't deserves it. There isn't a thing as too soft.

Edited by Nurse Cupcake
  • Brohoof 3

Cartoons are always serious business, and they should be treated seriously.

Why?

People deserve good quality content. This is especially the case with children; they're much more intelligent than most of us think, but they're also highly influenced on the surroundings. What they watch on TV is no exception. Good family cartoons help produce intelligent minds. Bad family cartoons don't. If kids watch and enjoy crap as kids, chances are they'll watch and enjoy crap as adults.

Perhaps some bronies hate on G3 because they don't want to admit fully that they like MLP? Or to make Friendship is Magic seem better in the eyes of people who don't particularly like it?

If you want your argument to look solid, never use blatant loaded questions. A lot of people like myself hate G3 because it helped perpetuate the "animation is for kids" stereotype and stigma of MLP as a sexist franchise. MLP was originally a unisex franchise for all ages; G1 (not Tales) poorly aged, but still holds up to Zacherle's visions. Tales, G3, and G3.5 don't with the stereotypes they enforce and embrace. G4/FIM revived Zacherle's roots in their animation.

If you don't like it, avoid it, is all.

This mindset never works. If people don't like it, then they deserve to voice those criticisms. If the product is terrible, then they shouldn't hold back and verbally tear apart the content. If the content doesn't respect the consumer, why should the consumer respect the content in return? G3 doesn't respect me as a consumer and doesn't respect kids. So it doesn't deserve respect back.

Like I said earlier, ignoring it or handwaving it translates to both tolerating it and implying to the writers that offensive content is okay to publish. This blasé attitude is one reason bad cartoons are churned out. Kids have voices, but they need help. That's why respectable adults, parents, and teens are often very critical and picky of them; cartoon characters can become as big a role model to kids as their parents. Analyzing why bad cartoons are bad, why good cartoons are good, and being very critical about the content keep the industry honest. Otherwise, there's no quality control.

As what @@paradoxical said, kids are our future. There needs to be really strict standards of quality. Separating the good from the bad is the adults' responsibilities.

Edited by Old King Q
  • Brohoof 7

Now other than reviews I have only seen A Very Minty Christmas and Positively Pink from G3 as well as Sweetie Belle's Gumball House Surprise and Over two Rainbows (this one was terrible btw) from G3.5 and whilst I agree it is dumb, low in quality and stereotypically girly I have to ask was it meant to be any different? FiM sure makes it look bad but Faust created FiM specifically to appeal to both children and their parents, wheras the G3 specials were most likely intended to be a product that would keep your 3 year old daughter quiet whilst you finished the required housework. I think about other shows for toddlers such as Bob the Builder, Teletubbies and Peppa Pig and wonder are the plots in these shows any less boring or dumb than the ones in G3 MLP?

Well I admit I tried seeing stuff from other MLP.... But those other things are SOOO girly. I mean Rainbow Dash is the pretty fashionable one? Pinkie Pie is in this world but she's not crazy about parties as Much as FIM Pinkie Pie. Rarity here is not Tabitha St. Germain she's here but it's like "Where's Waldo" only listen for her. She's probably the town's gardener. Also Rarity is a little filly princess here... Too young to be "our" Rarity, also I use that term loosely, in that only thing she shares with our Rarity is the name. Also the very original MLP too seems very much more aimed more for girls? But so is FIM right? but "why can we stand MLP FIM and not the other incarnations of MLP?" Would be the better question? What is it about MLP FIM that draws us guys in? I'd say RARITY... That's why I watched... But I wanna know what you think?

• Brohoof 1

Art. We, as humanity, deserve good art.

Lazy art is a waste of culture.

G3 was lazy, just like the aforementioned ones, they deserve to be told in no uncertain terms that they're being lazy and kids deserve better because maybe if the kids get better, culture and the future will be better.

Given that statement, a stupid comment is still a stupid comment. But, if you're going the LittleShy route of tasteful satire or @'s, thoughtful analysis route, kvetch away.

why does this fandom attract pompous blowhards who act like children's shows all have to be masterpieces of storytelling? Do you have any grasp of the concept of 'fun'?

I didn't get into FiM for deep storytelling and character development. I watched it because it was cute and fun and made me laugh, with some nice action thrown in from time to time. If you take a show like this too seriously, you're missing the point.

• Brohoof 1

If you want your argument to look solid, never use blatant loaded questions. A lot of people like myself hate G3 because it helped perpetuate the "animation is for kids" stereotype and stigma of MLP as a sexist franchise. MLP was originally a unisex franchise for all ages; G1 (not Tales) poorly aged, but still holds up to Zacherle's visions. Tales, G3, and G3.5 don't with the stereotypes they enforce and embrace. G4/FIM revived Zacherle's roots in their animation.

I wasn't arguing, actually. I was simply making a suggestion. Still, thank you for your advice. I will make sure to keep that in mind in the future.

G3, I agree, is rather sexist. Many products at the time were, however. It's only recently that more and more shows/franchises are trying appealing to all genders rather than focus on one. It's a product of its time, something we look back on and improve from. But hating on it changes nothing.

• Brohoof 1

Nah, G3 was pretty terrible and someone pointing that out isn't exactly going to upset me. Cartoons are art, and critiquing art is always welcome. G3 had the problem of assuming kids aren't very smart, and perpetuating the idea that cartoons with that approach are the way to go. It's fine to acknowledge that "without G3, we might not have had G4" and I would never say "I wish G3 never existed and it makes me puke just thinking about it" etc. but I can point out that it's a bad show and feel no remorse.

why does this fandom attract pompous blowhards who act like children's shows all have to be masterpieces of storytelling? Do you have any grasp of the concept of 'fun'?

I didn't get into FiM for deep storytelling and character development. I watched it because it was cute and fun and made me laugh, with some nice action thrown in from time to time. If you take a show like this too seriously, you're missing the point.

Some fans like to analyze the show, some don't. Insulting people isn't going to change that. That being said, people aren't saying G3 is bad because it's not a masterpiece, they're saying it's bad because even in the context of a "fun" kid's show, it's just not very good. There's nothing wrong with pointing that out; as Faust has shown us, you can make a great children's cartoon without assuming your audience has been recently lobotomized.

Edited by TenorSounds
  • Brohoof 3

If it weren't art you mightn't have had fun.

Art doesn't have to be serious, but when our culture is filled with slapdash corporate money-grabs where art should be it has a negative effect.

• Brohoof 2

The only MLP generation I'd seen before FiM was the 1986 movie, which was quite terrible. After seeing it, I didn't think MLP could ever be any good. FiM changed that opinion, so I gave G3 a shot to see if it was even close to FiM in terms of quality, but it wasn't. There was nothing there and I can't imagine kids being interested in it either.

Sure, kids' programming doesn't need to be quite as advanced in storytelling as shows for adults, but at the very least some genuine conflict should be involved. Anything at all to keep the viewer engaged in what's happening. A convoluted plot like Death Note has isn't necessary, but to enable a complete mental shutdown by being utterly vapid is an extreme that should not be pushed onto toddlers.

Hell, especially young children need to learn how to think and reason, and in a society that becomes more and more dependent on TV for additional parentage, so to speak, quality cartoons can help their development. Even if the conflicts are kept simple and small scale, their resolutions will be part of a child's development and because of it they will grow as people.

In short, I don't think people are too hard on G3 because it doesn't offer anything at all that could contribute to the development of children, even toddlers. (Note that I don't think G3 is the only offender; I simply never watched any other show meant for toddlers.)

Edited by KatonRyu
  • Brohoof 2

Its kind of hard to say. I personally don't like much of what I have seen of G3, and I don't think it should be exempt from criticsm. However I also don't know if it deserves the level of hate it gets. I kinda feel that people hating on it so much may make people who enjoy the previous generations of MLP feel unwelcome here, and that isn't good.

• Brohoof 1

Its kind of hard to say. I personally don't like much of what I have seen of G3, and I don't think it should be exempt from criticsm. However I also don't know if it deserves the level of hate it gets. I kinda feel that people hating on it so much may make people who enjoy the previous generations of MLP feel unwelcome here, and that isn't good.

It does.  You won't see many people from collector sites come onto a brony forum.  G3 is more well received than G4 over there because G3 was a better toy line in a lot of ways. A lot of long-time MLP fans have stayed away from bronies just because of the attitude they have toward older gens. Would you want to be on a forum where all everyone did was pile crap on something you like?

• Brohoof 4

Bronies are justified at hating G 3, Mr. Enter has given us pretty good input to the frivolity of generation three, the lukewarm reception toward G 3 is not unfounded. I have seen all of the generation three MLP, on Netflix, and yes they are terrible, it is a reflection of a trend going back to the beginning of Barney the Dinosaur, it has evolved into a pandering morass, beating around the bush, to deny the negative impulses of ourselves and others, much less how to resolve them. When we critique art, we strive to get better, just like Commander Firebrand has said on YouTube, by surrounding yourself with positive reinforcement, even if the quality and effort was shoddy, you can not improve nor mature, although generation three would led to Friendship is Magic, that too evolve from earlier generations, and mistakes that would give us G 3 My Little Pony, so our current generation was a result of all the things great and careless, about My Little Pony as a cartoon and a merchandise.

Edited by King Charles
  • Brohoof 3