Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What Jokes offend you guys?

Tom Snyder

Jokes about rape, molestation, pedophilia, racism, misogyny, triggers, and the list goes on. I'm personally not exactly offended, but I understand that others are, hence I limit myself from jokes unless if I experience such of any of these things and use it as a coping mechanism. Really, I'm only "offended" because others are, so I try to paraphrase and express their feelings so others can understand to perceive the way how the person feels.

In other words, I'm more of a middleman. I just give the same info to others. 

• Brohoof 1

- Rape jokes.

- People feeling the need to point out race. Although i don't watch or care for game grumps. I just watched this part. Although i would have ignored it either way. But its stuff like this that makes me... ugh... like why do some people feel its funny at the need to flesh it out. Same with other characters. Knuckles is BLACK HUH HUH SO EDGY! "Get it... because its rap. OH bring forth the stereotype to point out something so irrelevant on fictional awesome character :I.....

7:00 - 7:12

Disability jokes really make me mad. I have ADD and I have been bullied in the past. Because of that, I have an intolerance of these kind of jokes.

• Brohoof 4

I'm tolerant of a lot of things. One thing I am not: suicide jokes. I'm not going into detail, but suicide jokes will very quickly upset me.

• Brohoof 2

Oh, ther3s actually one thing which actually pissed me off-- people telling people that they shouldn't be bothered or even triggered by X thing for Y reason.

Do people even know what triggers are? You cannot control triggers. If you're triggered, you don't get to choose: "Hmm, so I want to go into a panic attack, or a seizure today?" Oh my gosh, lool.

Also some people have really bad experiences, and you making half-assed rants about why we shouldn't be bothered by anything really makes me upset. I don't care if you experience triggers yourself, you don't have a say of how others should react and feel when encountering something which gives them a hard time coping with.

Enough said.

• Brohoof 1

Also some people have really bad experiences, and you making half-assed rants about why we shouldn't be bothered by anything really makes me upset. I don't care if you experience triggers yourself, you don't have a say of how others should react and feel when encountering something which gives them a hard time coping with.

Enough said.

This.

If you read my post above, I mention that I don't like it when people make disability jokes (because I was made fun of). I tell people this and they think I'm overreacting. I'm like really? Some people don't understand how it feels to be made fun of.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

I appreciate that you made this forum!
But I do feel uneasy and honestly scared there are people here shaming people who get offended so going to bring some information to light in this topic. (sorry if was said, didn't have mental strength to finish reading all the posts)

There are common offensive subjects that are more likely to be upsetting to people when joked about, that is ones that involve serious harm or bullying which effects a person's life.
This include r*pe joke, minority jokes, disorder jokes, target shaming (insulting a specific someone or subject) Topic which have a very heavy weight on them.

Then there are semi-personal offensive subject which are more for individuals, but are still relatively common.

Including STD jokes, death jokes

And lastly there are truly personal defensive subject, these one are similar to those which people hyper over exaggerate about when claiming "all subjects are offensive"

These are more for individual people specifically, not common triggers, but can still exist to a single person based on their past.

Have you seen the Breakfast comic? It discusses how this person knows that breakfast is seen as a silly and extreme subject to ask to be censored from them, but what has happened to her has made breakfast a nightmare.

These may vary, but this is how I view offensive subjects.

There are plenty of safe subjects to joke about, jokes are meant to be funny. The second it upsets someone, it is now bullying and no longer a joke.

For example, one day I made a joke about dieting, and this really hurt my friend. The others on the room defended me, but I knew if it's not funny to everyone in the target audience, it's no longer just a joke.

The common offencive jokes are subject that affect other's way of living. Yes words are words, but words are powerful. They tell people it's ok to treat others horribly. That it's funny to hurt people.

Please be respectful towards others. Isn't that one of the messages in mlp?

I hope I'm not sounding rude or like a flamer, if I am please let me know how and I'll correct it!
But it just breaks my heart when people abuse jokes to the point where they aren't about making people laugh anymore...

EDIT:
I see people bringing this up too

Edited by SpiderDiscord
  • Brohoof 1

I really hate jokes about rape, they're typically unfunny to me and just come across as obnoxious. I don't care if they make you laugh, they don't make me laugh so don't tell me any.

• Brohoof 1

I appreciate that you made this forum!

But I do feel uneasy and honestly scared there are people here shaming people who get offended so going to bring some information to light in this topic. (sorry if was said, didn't have mental strength to finish reading all the posts)

There are common offensive subjects that are more likely to be upsetting to people when joked about, that is ones that involve serious harm or bullying which effects a person's life.

This include r*pe joke, minority jokes, disorder jokes, target shaming (insulting a specific someone or subject) Topic which have a very heavy weight on them.

Then there are semi-personal offensive subject which are more for individuals, but are still relatively common.

Including STD jokes, death jokes

And lastly there are truly personal defensive subject, these one are similar to those which people hyper over exaggerate about when claiming "all subjects are offensive"

These are more for individual people specifically, not common triggers, but can still exist to a single person based on their past.

Have you seen the Breakfast comic? It discusses how this person knows that breakfast is seen as a silly and extreme subject to ask to be censored from them, but what has happened to her has made breakfast a nightmare.

These may vary, but this is how I view offensive subjects.

There are plenty of safe subjects to joke about, jokes are meant to be funny. The second it upsets someone, it is now bullying and no longer a joke.

For example, one day I made a joke about dieting, and this really hurt my friend. The others on the room defended me, but I knew if it's not funny to everyone in the target audience, it's no longer just a joke.

The common offencive jokes are subject that affect other's way of living. Yes words are words, but words are powerful. They tell people it's ok to treat others horribly. That it's funny to hurt people.

Please be respectful towards others. Isn't that one of the messages in mlp?

I hope I'm not sounding rude or like a flamer, if I am please let me know how and I'll correct it!

But it just breaks my heart when people abuse jokes to the point where they aren't about making people laugh anymore...

EDIT:

I see people bringing this up too

Psh, but in all these cases the problem isn't the joke, its the audience being chosen poorly. Even rape jokes or jokes about disabilities are intended to make people laugh for the most part. Unless the person telling the joke is a bit of a twat >.<

Also why'd you censor the word rape? .-. Not a swear word, and entirely recognizable anyway.

Not trying to be insulting or whatever, just interesting

Psh, but in all these cases the problem isn't the joke, its the audience being chosen poorly. Even rape jokes or jokes about disabilities are intended to make people laugh for the most part. Unless the person telling the joke is a bit of a twat >.<

Also why'd you censor the word rape? .-. Not a swear word, and entirely recognizable anyway.

Not trying to be insulting or whatever, just interesting

It makes me uncomfortable to type it or even say it because of my past.

no one can choose their audience when it involves being posted in public.

By jokes seem to not be to make laughter I meant that, from my witnessed experiences, people who typically tell dark joke and follow up with "it's just a joke"... they tell the joke not to create laughter, but tell it expecting laughter. So when it turns out their joke has a negative effect, they become defensive feeling their joke is funny no matter what the reaction ended up being.

It's important to also note that your audience may not have people who will be hurt by your joke, but may have people who truly believe that mindset is ok and take it seriously, but in a positive way vs negative.

Meaning it tells the rpeist it's ok, that it's funny they hurt and terrorise people.  That stereotypes are correct and each and every person of a certain dynamic has no real individuality.

It's upsetting that those people exist, but they do... by telling these joke, it lets these people feel that they did or are doing nothing wrong.

I know jokes aren't real or serious, that's what makes a joke, a joke. They are funny since they are unexpected exaggeration generally.

But many do take it as an incentive that those actions and mindsets are ok or funny to do to others.

This of course is assuming joke which speak of harm in a positive light.

@Aleh

I am not the best with words, so idk if this would be easier for us over pm/chat to share our perspectives

(edited)

It makes me uncomfortable to type it or even say it because of my past.

no one can choose their audience when it involves being posted in public.

By jokes seem to not be to make laughter I meant that, from my witnessed experiences, people who typically tell dark joke and follow up with "it's just a joke"... they tell the joke not to create laughter, but tell it expecting laughter. So when it turns out their joke has a negative effect, they become defensive feeling their joke is funny no matter what the reaction ended up being.

It's important to also note that your audience may not have people who will be hurt by your joke, but may have people who truly believe that mindset is ok and take it seriously, but in a positive way vs negative.

Meaning it tells the rpeist it's ok, that it's funny they hurt and terrorise people.  That stereotypes are correct and each and every person of a certain dynamic has no real individuality.

It's upsetting that those people exist, but they do... by telling these joke, it lets these people feel that they did or are doing nothing wrong.

I know jokes aren't real or serious, that's what makes a joke, a joke. They are funny since they are unexpected exaggeration generally.

But many do take it as an incentive that those actions and mindsets are ok or funny to do to others.

This of course is assuming joke which speak of harm in a positive light.

I don't know many people who'll hear a joke about something screwed up (rape, the holocaust etc) and then say "oh well these things are ok then".

I don't think jokes about murder tell murderers that its funny and ok to kill old ladies, so why should rapists be any different? 

And I'm pretty sure anybody who hears a rape joke and assumes it means its ok to rape is probably just going to be a whacko anyway xD

And psh, are you saying nobody should post anything upsetting or controversial in a public because of the risk of upsetting people? I mean I guess that works but >.<   (Then again the majority of sick jokes I've seen online are ones you'd generally have to search for to find, so I guess this is pretty much a thing anyway xD)

Edited by Aleh

I don't know many people who'll hear a joke about something screwed up (rape, the holocaust etc) and then say "oh well these things are ok then".

I don't think jokes about murder tell murderers that its funny and ok to kill old ladies, so why should rapists be any different? 

And I'm pretty sure anybody who hears a rape joke and assumes it means its ok to rape is probably just going to be a whacko anyway xD

And psh, are you saying nobody should post anything upsetting or controversial in a public because of the risk of upsetting people? I mean I guess that works but >.<  

I know, it is hard at first to try to avoid upsetting someone on a personal level. (not like how fluttershy had to be hard of the sprites to help them) I'm assuming you are in high school? Personally I was surrounded by jokes like that all the time, and have noticed that people who like jokes like that tend to have the negativity enhanced.

And sorry for not being clear! I didn't mean that they MAKE whackos become whackos, I meant like it enforces it, more so with rpe.

Going to sound gender bias for a sec but gonna speak from my own experience

With all the "just rpe them" or "they got rped" jokes the seem to allow guys to not take it as seriously as they should. I am sure they still understand violent rpe is horrable and wrong, but they tend to fail to understand why convincing a yes is still a form of rpe since they don't want it, but they pushed them into it.

That may be more from the entitlement, believing that women owe them pleasure. Like those jokes about how withholding pleasure is a horrible unfair punishment.

not personal experience, but hearsay. Regarding race, you know those jokes about black people gonna shoot you, steal you money, or whatever. It's subconscious, but people act is if that is real. It's upsetting for them when people avoid them because they believe such huge biased exaggerations.

This is just for jokes that affect people's lives. light hearted or even dark jokes that don't affect people negatively daily can be fine with the right audience. But sadly, as long as people are being treated poorly from biases, positive jokes about such biases are harmful.

Honestly I like jokes about people who actually believe these outrageous stereotypes and entitlement... but i'm sure it's not healthy of my to make fun of people for not knowing what affect their behaviors have on others... now that i think about it...

I went on sorry! But I want to say thank you so much for speaking calmly with me <3 I respect that

Been used to people turning viewpoints into a closed minded brawl :/

I hope your highschool experience is going better than mine personally did!

Eh. Transgender jokes. I have close friends that are trans and I'm a form of trans myself. It's just... not okay.

• Brohoof 1

I'm offended by racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic, disableist, etc. and blonde jokes.  I also am offended by rape jokes unless they're making fun of rapists.  

All that said, I'm not offended by dead baby jokes or making fun of religion.  Unless they overlap with any of the above.

• Brohoof 1

Jokes are fine and all when done in a light hearted manner. But certain jokes like racism, sexual orientation, or joking about someone with health conditions... those don't fly with me at all. 

Also going over the line with "too many jokes". A couple are funny but after a while of hearing so many jokes, it can get old rather fast.

• Brohoof 1