Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What Jokes offend you guys?

Tom Snyder

(edited)
Anything stemming from a place of ignorance. If it's something which plays on a stereotype, but I know that it's not how the person actually feels, well, it's hit or miss, but I'm less likely to be offended. It depends on context and language, of course. However, if it's something dealing with a touchy subject like that and it's someone I don't know, it's impossible for me to tell if they're making a joke out of something because they're exaggerating a situation or if that's what they really believe. That kind of context is really key. Someone might think that it's silly to get offended over a joke, but when it involves serious subjects, it gets uncomfortable. It can aim to propogate even more ignorance, false beliefs and hatred and that scares me. If you're on an angry soapbox, a lot of people are turned off to that. However, if you can make them laugh, you're more likely to get them on your side. And if you're making jokes off of things that aren't true and people start to take them as true, it becomes a problem. Trust me. I don't want to be offended by jokes. But when it comes to real world applications such as this, context and intent matter. 

I think I may have told this story on the forum before, but there's this one episode of Family Guy. I don't remember which one, but there's a joke in there where Peter calls Lois an "it." It cuts to some guy saying "Women are things." Many, many years ago when I first saw this, it made me laugh. It was funny because it was, to me, a wild exaggeration. My brother, on the other hand, took it seriously and agreed with the show, as if it had just made some profound point about life. Suddenly, the joke wasn't funny anymore. It's this type of situation that I have a tendency to consider when people make jokes about touchy situations. And again, it's scary.

I'm also disinclined to laugh at jokes aimed at someone. If someone's not careful, they can come off as really mean and spiteful really quickly.

As for whether you, specifically, have ever told a joke that offends me, no, not to my recollection.

*edit*

Also, I'm very turned off by toilet humor. It doesn't offend me on any sort of moral level or anything like that and if people wanna make those jokes that's fine. It's just that 99% of the time, it succeeds at grossing me out far more than it succeeds at making me laugh. I think part of it is that people think that simply having it makes a joke. It does not. There needs to be an actual joke in there. Anyway, that's just one more form of humor I don't much care for.

Edited by Clover Heart
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Jokes that make the fun of of the suffering of others, especially children. Shows that use that kind of humour (or have in the past) are not funny. Specifically shows like South Park and Family Guy.

Fat Jokes. I'm not overweight or anything, but people who ARE overweight really have it hard. Some skinny people sit there and eat a whole thing of tacos, and lose a pound, then decide to go make fun of fat people like if they had a metabolism like that, they'd be healthy? Nuh-uh. No. Food comforts some people, like many other habits comfort other people. They just are treated like animals because for their habit, it physically shows. Then people decide to go

"LOL fatty, go lose weight. Run outside or something LOL"

Yeah, okay. While I'm at it, I'll just magically stop drinking too by not buying alcohol. I'll stop smoking too, by magically using a patch because they have a 100% success rate. Right? No. Wrong. People these days are just full of hate. People think that there won't be another world war, but people hating on each other just by what side they put their toilet paper on? Jesus, this generation is done for.

I used to be overweight and I don't really find fat jokes offensive. Anyway, that's not a joke, that's being mean. There's a way big difference.

Any joke is fine by me, honestly. I have a really dark sense of humor and I love making jokes about me, people like me, and sensitive topics.

Same here, but homophobic jokes get to me.

Nothing really offends me, I guess I've got a bit of a dark sense of humour at times. It'd have to get personal to offend me, to be honest. =P

Jokes that joke about a real murder or something bad :wacko:. I might chuckle or laugh at the cleverness of the joke, but ultimately think it's harsh.

Jokes that criticize Jews, even if it's just for a laugh I don't accept it :okiedokielokie: Or pretty much any joke aimed at a certain demographic or group :(

The most offensive joke I know is UKIP. 

Okay, let's be serious for a moment. I, oddly enough, don't really get offended over jokes, because most of the time, they're either meant to be light-hearted or are just made for the sake of being offensive (i.e. Bernard Manning). They typically aren't meant to be taken seriously, so I don't really let them get to me. 

(edited)

None. Nothing should be sacred. People should be allowed to make fun of anything. The only time I have a problem with any joke is if it's simply not funny.

What I'm sick of is when overly-sensitive people try to "protect" me in a patronizing manner, if I so happen to be part of the group that's the target of a joke. They're basically speaking for me, claiming that I can't take the joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1hc7xpuTzs

Edited by SpaceOnion
  • Brohoof 3

I have a really dark humor so nothing can offend or scare me in any way^^

I said "A glas of juice" not "Gas the jews". - Adolf Hitler

I said "Lunch" not "Launch" - Kim Jong-un

"Don't believe quotes you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

• Brohoof 1

I can't stand really trite jokes based on sexist stereotypes. Stuff like "OMG my wife is so overbearing, women are crazy, RIGHT!? Just let me watch football in peace LOLOLLL." This type of humor is usually why a lot of sitcoms and older, male stand-up comedians lose me pretty quickly.

Any time a white person tells a joke that relies upon harmful stereotypes of people of color, it makes me veryyyy uncomfortable. Homophobic material is not ok with me either.

Oh, and anything that tries to make light of rape or murder or awful disasters... Hearing jokes like that makes my stomach turn. I don't understand people who don't feel supremely guilty and sad laughing at stuff like that.

• Brohoof 1

I can't stand really trite jokes based on sexist stereotypes. Stuff like "OMG my wife is so overbearing, women are crazy, RIGHT!? Just let me watch football in peace LOLOLLL." This type of humor is usually why a lot of sitcoms and older, male stand-up comedians lose me pretty quickly.

Any time a white person tells a joke that relies upon harmful stereotypes of people of color, it makes me veryyyy uncomfortable. Homophobic material is not ok with me either.

Oh, and anything that tries to make light of rape or murder or awful disasters... Hearing jokes like that makes my stomach turn. I don't understand people who don't feel supremely guilty and sad laughing at stuff like that.

You wouldn't like my humor one bit :D

Why specifically white people? Could just be poorly worded but >.<

Surely if racism is the bad part it'd be anybody?

• Brohoof 1

I can attest to this, being black myself. I've heard many jokes regarding people of color, and it really isn't funny. Like come on this is 2015 for god's sake lay off the racism jokes :/ I mean sure the lighthearted ones like we run fast jump high and love watermelon and koolaid is ok with me just because it is true haha but the other ones that involve garbage like slavery takes it too far.

• Brohoof 1

Any time a white person tells a joke that relies upon harmful stereotypes of people of color, it makes me veryyyy uncomfortable

Why specificity white people?  Racism is racism regales of what color the skin is of the one being racists. 

• Brohoof 2