Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What Jokes offend you guys?

Tom Snyder

(edited)

This thread and people telling what kind of jokes they find offensive gives me the urge to be a dick and post jokes they would probably find offensive...

Edited by DolphinPrince

Why specifically white people? Could just be poorly worded but >.< Surely if racism is the bad part it'd be anybody?

Why specificity white people?  Racism is racism regales of what color the skin is of the one being racists. 

Because white people, having never lived their lives as people of color and being completely blind to the unique challenges that come with being non-white, come at race jokes from a place of extreme ignorance and privilege. It gives me such bad second-hand embarrassment to see a white person try to make light of racial stereotypes and sensitive issues related to race because they really have no idea what they are talking about. 

Because white people, having never lived their lives as people of color and being completely blind to the unique challenges that come with being non-white, come at race jokes from a place of extreme ignorance and privilege. It gives me such bad second-hand embarrassment to see a white person try to make light of racial stereotypes and sensitive issues related to race because they really have no idea what they are talking about. 

I'm sorry but if you're going under the assumption that racist jokes are bad then it should be bad for ALL races.  Otherwise its just hypocritical xD

What makes a black guy calling all white people retards different from a white guy calling all black people retards? Its still racism. Its honestly borderline racist to assume one group is allowed to be racist any more than the other >.<

(Also going to have to say that it kind of depends on the area. A rich black guy is FAR more privileged than a poor white person >.< A lot of the race issues are also class issues ). 

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

I either find jokes funny or unfunny. I never get offended by jokes unless they are referring to me directly in a negative sense. Even then, someone would have to try real hard to think of a joke about me that was bad enough to actually offend me. Moments after hearing it, I would probably secretly applaud them for being creative enough to think of something that could actually offend me.

Edited by LeonShi500

Jokes that criticize Jews, even if it's just for a laugh I don't accept it :okiedokielokie: Or pretty much any joke aimed at a certain demographic or group :(

How was Copper Wire Made? Two Jews FIghting over a penny (MY Friend told me this one)

• Brohoof 1

I'm sorry but if you're going under the assumption that racist jokes are bad then it should be bad for ALL races. Otherwise its just hypocritical xD

We just disagree on a fundamental level here. I believe that we still live in a society that's unjust and oppressive toward people of color. These power inequities between white people and people of color make a big difference in how appropriate racial humor is for each group.

Like, a black person telling a joke about how white people can't dance or something doesn't really do anything to impact how white people are treated in society, so whatever. It's stereotypical and overdone comedy at its worst, but it doesn't oppress white people. White stereotypes don't negatively affect how people on the street view me, how potential employers view me, how potential landlords view me, etc...

However, a white person telling a joke about black stereotypes is supremely damaging. It echoes society's extremely racist past and justifies people having negative views of people of color today. It's more harmful because stereotypes of people of color are still rampant and affect every aspect of a black person's life. When a white person tells these jokes, especially to a predominantly white audience, it's like giving more white people permission to keep being ignorant. Some white people are definitely intelligent and culturally aware enough to not let a joke about racist stereotypes cloud their judgement, BUT you'd be surprised to see how many assholes there are in the world today who actually indulge in racial humor as a white person because it's seen as an 'acceptable' form of racism... like a "get out of jail free" card for bigots.

As a white teacher in a predominantly black neighborhood I've gone though a lot of training surrounding race and cultural stereotypes in communities of color and it has really taught me to check myself. I like to spread this knowledge to other white folks who may not quite get it yet. People like to think we live in a color blind society where racism is over and anything is fair game, but that's far from the case. In my experience, the only people who think white people have it as hard as people of color are white people who have little to no experience on the subject.

I'm gonna go ahead and drop the subject after this post so I don't completely derail the conversation, but if anyone needs more info or wants to read up on the subject, there's plenty of online resources out there.

(edited)

What did the black man sell at his candy store?

Whipped cotton candy.

What do you call a Caucasian NBA player?

White chocolate.

How racist is that one?

Edited by Admiral Regulus

Any jokes where the punch line refers to suicide or someone needing to kill themselves. I find these offensive as there have been several moments in my life where i felt death was the answer and then people who think it's funny to have some "harmless banter" about a random person they've never met before and say they should end their own life because they're alone or 'ugly' just makes me want to puke and/or punch them in face!

Considering my usual sort of humor, I'm not sure you could offend me if you tried (except, obviously, saying Luna isn't best Princess- now that's just plain mean!)

I guess as I've gotten older I've become more aware of this sort of thing. I'm not saying jokes with a little bit of a dark undertone can't be hilarious if they are delivered with wit and timing.

But I guess the uncomfortable truth behind racist, or sexist, or homophobic jokes is that they are exclusionary. I as a white male tend to mostly interact with other white males on a day to day basis. If someone in that group whether its a friend or co-worker or whatever makes a joke like that, it kind of puts us into a little bubble from the outside world. Its as if these types of jokes imply that we are whats 'normal' and that other groups are not.

Eh, no jokes really. I see humour as a way to poke fun at misery. Example, if you can't make fun of ISIS and then fear them, you're doing what they want.  

• 5 weeks later...
(edited)

I only get offended by jokes if they're meant to display a real opinion. (An opinion that is offensive)

Edited by RubyRose

I don't take offense to any jokes. You need to something pretty serious to offend me. 

The only kind of jokes I'd find offensive are ones about animal abuse, as it's something I'm pretty passionate about.

I don't get offended by jokes, their jokes, their not meant to be serious, that's just how I think, but I completely understand if someone is offended by a joke.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Granted jokes aren't meant to be serious...but some people use that excuse to subtly offend/make fun of people. 

Really the only ones that make me uncomfortable are jokes about about abuse and slavery. Call me what you want, but there are some things that aren't really meant to be humorous...

If you're making someone cry then you're going too far!

Edited by Nom Nom

It depends on how a joke is being used and in what context. If it is truly an offensive joke than I'm not going to like it. But if it is light-hearted and all in good fun then have at it.

I don't get offended by jokes, that's why they're called jokes. If i'm offended by something, it's probably because offence was intended.

None of them. I'm generally not easy to offend. If I know it's a joke then I can just let it go. If somebody just plain insults me and people laugh, then it's not a joke and I'll be offended (if I don't just ignore it)