Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Steven Universe Fanclub

darkwingmare

On a happier note, agreed about Rose's singing, it was lovely! I really like that you can see both of his parents in Steven - he also seems to have inherited Rose's expressions, like in @'s avatar :P (I might be wrong but it seems to be mostly Steven and Rose who make those starry eyes, though the other Gems have their share of great expressions too)

That connection is not lost: I nabbed this image from a tumblr page explicitly comparing the facial expressions of Steven and Rose. Steven picked up most of his physical appearance from (younger) Greg and many of his expressions from Rose. He's a fusion, if you will, of their personalities and traits. In that way, then, Greg was wrong: he and Rose fused, just as Garnet noted in the flashback, but not in the formal "we're beings of pure light" sense the Gems mean and do.

• Brohoof 2

I loved the new episode,

especially the black and white scene

I think I prefer this show to MLP:FiM now.

When is the next episode? *o*

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Definitely not just you!

It's pretty obvious to me that Pearl was in love with Rose and these last few eps have made that more apparent, with how she acted around Greg and "she made me feel like I was everything", etc. I guess you could at a push argue it to be chivalrous rather than romantic, but I feel like they've made it as explicit as they can.

I can't work out whether it was mutual though - I can see them having had a thing pre-Greg at least, but Rose also seemed oblivious to Pearl's jealousy so it could also just have been one-sided...Poor Bird Mom, she just can't catch a break :(

P.S The spoiler tag isn't working for some reason.. So, 

SPOILEEERS, EVERYPONYYY!

I'd definitely agree with your thought here dearie, the love between Rose and Pearl were indeed one-sided. It's also very interesting how much different Pearl was back in time. She had much more confidence in the flash-back episodes, she were really confident of Rose loving her back..(Though I'm 99.9% sure she didn't). However, when Greg came into the picture, it all got harder for her.

It's almost like when a parent to an only child decides to get another one when they're 7 years old, slipping the attention from that child to the new baby instead. It's sort of like that, I think. Less attention and love for Pearl made her less sure about herself and if Rose really did love her after all they had been through and after all she'd done for her, after how special Rose made Pearl feel. Her response to Greg "ruining" her perfect image of them together is very natural, and probably how anyone would react having what they loved the most pulled away further from them. :( She got mad, irritated and tried to make Greg feel bad for it. People need to stop hating her for that. I thought it was a huge dick-move, but I still understand why she said what she said and did what she did.

And it's definitely official, she WAS in love with Rose for real. After these episodes, there is no way she wasn't and still is. ^_^ THAT DREAM! Wow!<3333 I still ship GregxRose way more, even so, Pearl still has my full respect and pity though.<33

Edited by darkwingmare
  • Brohoof 2

The thing is bout the show is they are adding in depth and layers with the story like we see with GregxRose.   Add in this is one of the few shows now with a fan base in saying "Yah gay is ok and alright!"  Which is sending a message to a lot of younger watches that might down the line after seeing the idea of being gay is well,  and make it easier to expect in not only other people but themselves!   More the reason I not only love but respect the makers and writer of this show and even more for CN being open to even show it as they have!

• Brohoof 2

One thing that annoyed me was that some fans of Steven Universe actually began to hate on Pearl because of her thirst crush on Rose Quartz.
To me, I feel like Pearl is more human- it's great character development. These last couple of episodes have made her seem so human- have shown how much she's grown since she was younger, how she's still in pain over Rose Quartz's death, etc...

• Brohoof 2

I delayed for so long (mainly due to school), but I'm almost done with season 1. Just three episodes left.

So I'm all caught up with the show, and I'm glad I did so. Can't believe I procrastinated for so long.

One thing that annoyed me was that some fans of Steven Universe actually began to hate on Pearl because of her thirst crush on Rose Quartz.

To me, I feel like Pearl is more human- it's great character development. These last couple of episodes have made her seem so human- have shown how much she's grown since she was younger, how she's still in pain over Rose Quartz's death, etc...

From reading the occasional tumblr post, I've seen that there are at least a few fans who are disturbed/upset by how Pearl behaves in relation to Rose. Her coping with the grief of losing Rose has been less than healthy for own sake and those around her, namely, Steven and Connie. The fan fights seem to revolve around criticisms of Pearl's negligence and myopia prompting responses that her critics are homophobic or ableist. I'm sure there are other takes on PearlxRose, but those two ends are the loudest that I've encountered.

The theater and drama (in-show, not amongst fans) are undeniably rich, so I haven't any issue thematically with Pearl's behavior. The fandom fights do underscore a catch-22: Steven Universe succeeds in evoking the audience's emotions, but high emotions tend to stir more fan drama.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

After watching most of the Steven Universe episodes... One thing has come to mind.

Why do the gems use swords to fight or any close range weapon?

I mean it's clear that during the war for Earth that happened thousands of years ago, the gems had advanced tech as peridot uses those giant hands in marble madness and plus they got to Earth so there that.

I just find it strange why they wouldn't use range weapons or even seem to use tech to fight but instead use swords and shields. 

Edited by Code
  • Brohoof 2

After watching most of the Steven Universe episodes... One thing has come to mind.

I mean it's clear that during the war for Earth that happened thousands of years ago, the gems had advanced tech as peridot uses those giant hands in marble madness and plus they got to Earth so there that.

I just find it strange why they wouldn't use range weapons or even seem to use tech to fight but instead use swords and shields.

Garnet once made mention (I forget the episode) of the Homeworld Gems having modern Gem technology. The Crystal Gems didn't identify the Flask Robonoids as originating from the Homeworld until they repaired one of the warp pads at the Galaxy Warp. Therefore, it's very likely the Crystal Gems relied, and still rely, on what we might describe as "magical elements" rather than the advanced machines at the Homeworld's disposal.

More specifically, each of the Crystal Gems -- save for Amethyst, who was produced in the Kindergarten -- have some control over basic elements: Garnet can channel electricity ("Arcade Mania"); Pearl can manipulate clouds ("Sworn to the Sword") and sand ("Giant Woman"); and Steven, inheriting Rose's powers, can bring vegetation to life ("Watermelon Steven"). Outside of the Crystal Gems, Lapis, who is suggested to have been on Earth when Rose and her forces rebelled against the homeworld, can control the ocean.

There is a distinct deviation between "Ancient Gems" and modern Homeworld Gems. The Homeworld Gems tend to view the natural world as a means to an end, that is, they're seeking to pluder the Earth's natural resources to raise Gem armies. Why this is the case remains unclear; I suspect further clues will be offered in upcoming episodes.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Garnet once made mention (I forget the episode) of the Homeworld Gems having modern Gem technology. The Crystal Gems didn't identify the Flask Robonoids as originating from the Homeworld until they repaired one of the warp pads at the Galaxy Warp. Therefore, it's very likely the Crystal Gems relied, and still rely, on what we might describe as "magical elements" rather than the advanced machines at the Homeworld's disposal.

More specifically, each of the Crystal Gems -- save for Amethyst, who was produced in the Kindergarten -- have some control over basic elements: Garnet can channel electricity ("Arcade Mania"); Pearl can manipulate clouds ("Sworn to the Sword") and sand ("Giant Woman"); and Steven, inheriting Rose's powers, can bring vegetation to life ("Watermelon Steven"). Outside of the Crystal Gems, Lapis, who is suggested to have been on Earth when Rose and her forces rebelled against the homeworld, can control the ocean.

There is a distinct deviation between "Ancient Gems" and modern Homeworld Gems. The Homeworld Gems tend to view the natural world as a means to an end, that is, they're seeking to pluder the Earth's natural resources to raise Gem armies. Why this is the case remains unclear; I suspect further clues will be offered in upcoming episodes.

I guess most gems are very powerful by themselves but i would imagine they could make tech that would overpower their own powers highly. Plus there wouldn't be any disadvantages really using tech to fight as in certain episodes it clearly shows that they control their tech with their hands... some might even say that the gems have the ability to have a symbiotic relationship with their machines.

I can't really say much as there isn't enough information about their tech apart from it's much more powerful now though looking at what the gem warship and peridots escape pod... It seems they can do a lot of damage.

Edited by Code
  • Brohoof 1

The Crystal Gems are very probably limited by the technology of Earth and whatever they may have remaining from the war. Pearl is the only one shown who can pull a MacGyver and construct a barely functioning high-altitude aircraft out of spare parts and Greg's van.

I agree with you on the point regarding the Gems integrating themselves with their machines, like how Peridot can form touchscreens from her hands and Pearl's attempt to pilot the ship in "Jail Break".

• Brohoof 1

so now the Steven Bomb is over for June but I hear good news that it will be coming back in July sometime in the future

Correct. In fact it's coming back the same time Gravity Falls is:July 13th.

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

I wonder if saying everygem or any other derivative of that like bronies would do becomes a thing.

I would like to point out I tried to do that.

Either people are doing it and I'm not seeing, or it isn't catching on despite how much I want it to.

Edited by DJShy3

I wonder if saying everygem or any other derivative of that like bronies would do becomes a thing.

It sounds kinda forced; the Gems already use standard indefinite pronouns, like everyone and everybody. Seems like MLP has the market cornered on having characters say "every[RACE NAME HERE]" coming off naturally.

• Brohoof 1

Wait the Gem War happened thousands of years ago? I always thought Rose Quartz started defending earth when she met Greg Universe who shouldn't be anymore than a couple tens of years ago. Yeah I don't know the timeline for this.

(edited)

Wait the Gem War happened thousands of years ago? I always thought Rose Quartz started defending earth when she met Greg Universe who shouldn't be anymore than a couple tens of years ago. Yeah I don't know the timeline for this.

I would want to think that the war had already been through when Rose met Greg. Otherwise it all wouldn't have been so peaceful, getting Steven and all that, Rose giving up her life-form right after the big war? I think that wouldn't make much sense to me.

Looking at how Pearl was dressed and how she looked like back then(the flashbacks in the song "Do it for him/her")  would tell us a lot. Pearl had longer hair than she's got now, basically as long as it was when Greg met them... Still, it's not the same clothes as she got when she met Greg. So I would say that the war was a few years before Greg came into the picture. Not thousands of years though. A hundred, at most, if even that...

The new Steven Universe episode coming up named "Friend Ships". I hope that's another Larsadie episode or at least with one of them included or I'll be disappointed. Where's my Lars and Sadie at? I need them in my life, on a REGULAR BASIS or I'll go nuts!

tumblr_inline_nmipvkdeoa1rm1iaw_500.gif

Edited by darkwingmare
  • Brohoof 2

I would want to think that the war had already been through when Rose met Greg. Otherwise it all wouldn't have been so peaceful, getting Steven and all that, Rose giving up her life-form right after the big war? I think that wouldn't make much sense to me.

Looking at how Pearl was dressed and how she looked like back then(the flashbacks in the song "Do it for him/her")  would tell us a lot. Pearl had longer hair than she's got now, basically as long as it was when Greg met them... Still, it's not the same clothes as she got when she met Greg. So I would say that the war was a few years before Greg came into the picture. Not thousands of years though. A hundred, at most, if even that...

The new Steven Universe episode coming up named "Friend Ships". I hope that's another Larsadie episode or at least with one of them included or I'll be disappointed. Where's my Lars and Sadie at? I need them in my life, on a REGULAR BASIS or I'll go nuts!

sig-3926821.tumblr_inline_nmipvkdeoa1rm1

dc0d58b81e7fdf9255590cce6cfcc2c3.gif

Sorry....... :please:

I couldn't resist DW.............. :derp:

• Brohoof 2