Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Steven Universe Fanclub

darkwingmare

(edited)

I just got into Steven Universe and I love it so far.

I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 tablet. Is that IOS?

Sorry it isn't. I'm not sure but maybe it would work? I'd have to search it,

Edited by Saylor Scout
  • Brohoof 1

Meet the voice of Garnet

I enjoy how the YouTube comments keep mentioning SU and Garnet.

FINALLY caught up to the full series up to this point; what a brilliant little show this is. On first glance it looks like a silly little show, but a show like this has a lot of heart. Easily and officially #2 on my list.

The hiatus probably came at a good time; I can catch up on some other shows now, but still SU has left quite the impression on me. :)

• Brohoof 3

I have an important question for you all!

Do you have any gemsonas? If so, what gem? What weapon? Fighting Style? Personality? What does he/she look like?

Also, picture(s) would be greatly appreciated.

For me, I have a gemsona, but I haz no skill drawing humans. Well... human-like gemstones. You get my point. Also, mine is a W.I.P., so I haven't thought him all out yet. That's why I want to know yours. I fell like I need opinions on how to go about mine.

My gemsona is named Purple Spinel. His gems are on his elbows and his weapon is daggers. The daggers he summons look like this one, but without the stuff on the blade and it isn't as edge-y, by which I mean the only edge it has is on the tip of the blade of the dagger. Otherwise it is all rounded out.

post-5366-0-07561300-1430845146_thumb.png

His fighting style is that he is very good at dodging and defense, but his aiming and accuracy with throwing his daggers are not terrible, but not even close to the best either, so he relies on up-close combat.

His personality is that he loves kids, likes to watch human kid cartoons as a guilty pleasure of his, thinks he is a better fighter than he really is but not enough to say he is egotistical, cares for those around him, doesn't let insults bother him, and tries to keep a positive outlook.

However, he sometimes fails at keeping a positive outlook, is very self-consist, and cares for others a little too much, so much, in fact, that when enough bad is said about his loved ones, he becomes so fueled by rage that his fighting ability goes down by half and his defense by about a quarter.

(edited)

Hello everyone. I am in need advertising XD but a steam group i have made called "The_Gems"... It was going to be "The Gems" but that was taken sadly. Anyway I made this steam group for everyone who likes Steven Universe and to be a group where other Steven Universe fans could meet each other and play together or just discuss the show.

I would be really happy if you joined the group since i would love the group to grow to the point where we have hundreds of fans of the show playing together or chatting... That is the goal.

The group is quite small right now due to it only just being made but with time and effort i'm hoping it to be a great success.

If you would like to join then here the link to the group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/The_Gems#

Thanks for reading :D

img-3740276-1-83677693.gif

Edited by Lapis

I have an important question for you all!

Do you have any gemsonas? If so, what gem? What weapon? Fighting Style? Personality? What does he/she look like?

I've considered making a Gemsona, but there's quite a few things that give me pause; namely, whenever I make an "OC" I always want it to be super lore-friendly (hence my aversion to Alicorn OCs, for instance) and with Steven Universe the specifics of how Gems work and what they actually are is such an important part of the show that I'm not really comfortable throwing my hat into the ring, as it were. We don't know if Gems of the same "type" look the same or if they can be completely different, or even if there are multiples of the same type of Gem in the first place (though it's heavily implied there are, see Jasper's "a lost, defective Pearl").

This means I'd either have to make a really generic OC that fits within the limited rules of Gems as we know them now, or wait until our understanding of Gems reaches some arbitrary point where I'm comfortable making a completely original character bound by those rules.

For instance, your Gemsona is a male-gendered gem, which is unheard of except for Steven (who is half-human), and has more than one gem, something only fusions are shown to have at this point. As someone who has put these arbitrary limits on my OCs, that makes my OCD fly off the charts. Not saying your OC isn't good, I really like that character concept in a stand-alone context, but the breaks from canon mean something like that wouldn't work for me as my personal Gemsona. And I'm not sure if there'll ever be a point where I'm not too afraid to make a character; I'm just worried that my "headcanon" for them will be rendered moot by the show at some point due to the mysterious nature of Gems in general and how we seem to learn something new about them every episode :\

For instance, your Gemsona is a male-gendered gem, which is unheard of except for Steven (who is half-human), and has more than one gem, something only fusions are shown to have at this point. As someone who has put these arbitrary limits on my OCs, that makes my OCD fly off the charts. Not saying your OC isn't good, I really like that character concept in a stand-alone context, but the breaks from canon mean something like that wouldn't work for me as my personal Gemsona. And I'm not sure if there'll ever be a point where I'm not too afraid to make a character; I'm just worried that my "headcanon" for them will be rendered moot by the show at some point due to the mysterious nature of Gems in general and how we seem to learn something new about them every episode :\

1. Well it is a gemSONA, meaning that it would, in most cases, be a person's being put into another form, I think. :P

Also, I believe I heard somewhere before that gems are genderless, but can appear masculine, so to me it isn't too far fetched that my gem can look like a dude and prefer to be called him/he.

2. Funny story about the two gems... I didn't WANT my gemsona to have two gems, but with the weapon I choose for him/it to have, it was either two gems or one gem in a location that would make it's location not unique. If you have a better idea as to where I can put the gem, PLEASE let me know. I'm serious. The elbow gems are giving me problems with my creating of an outfit for him/it. I keep wanting to give him/it a jacket for whatever reason, but the gems make me give him holes in the sleeves.

Also, if anything else, I'm fine with having him be a fusion, but I'm too lazy and it would take too long for me to draw two more gemsonas, just to have this one make sense. Plus Garnet gets stuff from both Ruby and Sapphire, I think. However, my gemsona doesn't have enough stuff to him to make sense of him being a fusion. However, if someone else would like to draw them...

(edited)

1. Well it is a gemSONA, meaning that it would, in most cases, be a person's being put into another form, I think. :P

Also, I believe I heard somewhere before that gems are genderless, but can appear masculine, so to me it isn't too far fetched that my gem can look like a dude and prefer to be called him/he.

2. Funny story about the two gems... I didn't WANT my gemsona to have two gems, but with the weapon I choose for him/it to have, it was either two gems or one gem in a location that would make it's location not unique. If you have a better idea as to where I can put the gem, PLEASE let me know. I'm serious. The elbow gems are giving me problems with my creating of an outfit for him/it. I keep wanting to give him/it a jacket for whatever reason, but the gems make me give him holes in the sleeves.

Also, if anything else, I'm fine with having him be a fusion, but I'm too lazy and it would take too long for me to draw two more gemsonas, just to have this one make sense. Plus Garnet gets stuff from both Ruby and Sapphire, I think. However, my gemsona doesn't have enough stuff to him to make sense of him being a fusion. However, if someone else would like to draw them...

Well like I said, these are arbitrary limitation I put on myself and I'm not going to tell others how to make any of their "'sonas"; I may have my preferences, but they are not to be taken as hard-rules by any means. That being said, I can extrapolate on some things if you believe it'll be useful.

In regards to a "sona" being the fan but just in another form from the show, I think that's up to the fan. Personally, my Gemsona would definitely have aspects of my personality and whatnot, but I would still make her a female-facing gem even though I 100% identify as male because I feel it's more lore-friendly and I don't have any issue with associating my persona with a different gender. There are even people whose 'sona doesn't match up with their real-self except in the most minor ways, and they use them as more of a "what I could/want to be". That goes into my next point...

For your OC, I didn't mean to imply that being masculine and using male-pronouns is incorrect or lore-breaking, just that it's just enough outside the realm of what the show has shown to make me hesitant to adopt that for one of my characters. Again, that's just my own limitation, it's not a mark against your character at all.

As for the location of the gem(s), you shouldn't be too worried about the location being "unique" considering there's only so many places on the human form to put something like that, and it's been shown that gems can be completely different "types" and have their gem in the same place (i.e. Pearl and Peridot having their gems on their forehead). I'd say that everything from the show, from the belly to the chest to the forehead and heck even the nose, is fair game. If you do want something unique though, you could go for something like the outside of the hand. Garnet/Ruby/Sapphire technically have their gems on their hands, but they're on the palms; the outside of the hand could fulfill the "unique" criteria you're looking for, and like Ruby and Sapphire show gem placement doesn't necessarily have to be symmetrical so you wouldn't need a second gem.

Edit: If you're worried about how your character is going to pull our their weapon, you could also put the gem on something like one of their shoulders. Still, in my head I can think of some cool weapon-drawing animations for a Gem that uses two weapons and needs to pull both out of a gem on their hand; something like, the daggers rise out of the hand-gem and hang in the air for a second before the character quickly grabs them, stuff like that. Or hey, here's an idea: the daggers are joined, and are pulled out of the gem together, but the character splits them once the weapons are out. Sometimes having to come up with ways to make a concept work that would otherwise not make sense leads to some of the most unique aspects of the design, ya know?

Edited by TenorSounds
  • Brohoof 1

We don't know if Gems of the same "type" look the same or if they can be completely different, or even if there are multiples of the same type of Gem in the first place (though it's heavily implied there are, see Jasper's "a lost, defective Pearl").

I know this is beside the main point, but there's also evidence, based on the existence of the Kindergarten, indicating certain Gems were mass-produced. The best estimate I can make is that there are two types of known Gems: naturally formed Gems (e.g., Rose, Lapis, Ruby, Sapphire) and artificially created Gems (e.g., Pearl, Amethyst, and maybe Peridot). Lapis made mention of how the Homeworld had changed since she had last been there; presumably, the the more technologically inclined Gems assumed control of the Homeworld when Rose and her forces defected.

What's not totally clear is why the Gems populate other planets. It can be deduced that they've been pursuing galactic colonization even before Rose's defection several thousands of years ago. The endgame, however, if there even is one, is largely opaque.

• Brohoof 1

In regards to a "sona" being the fan but just in another form from the show, I think that's up to the fan. Personally, my Gemsona would definitely have aspects of my personality and whatnot, but I would still make her a female-facing gem even though I 100% identify as male because I feel it's more lore-friendly and I don't have any issue with associating my persona with a different gender. There are even people whose 'sona doesn't match up with their real-self except in the most minor ways, and they use them as more of a "what I could/want to be". That goes into my next point...

For your OC, I didn't mean to imply that being masculine and using male-pronouns is incorrect or lore-breaking, just that it's just enough outside the realm of what the show has shown to make me hesitant to adopt that for one of my characters. Again, that's just my own limitation, it's not a mark against your character at all.

As for the location of the gem(s), you shouldn't be too worried about the location being "unique" considering there's only so many places on the human form to put something like that, and it's been shown that gems can be completely different "types" and have their gem in the same place (i.e. Pearl and Peridot having their gems on their forehead). I'd say that everything from the show, from the belly to the chest to the forehead and heck even the nose, is fair game. If you do want something unique though, you could go for something like the outside of the hand. Garnet/Ruby/Sapphire technically have their gems on their hands, but they're on the palms; the outside of the hand could fulfill the "unique" criteria you're looking for, and like Ruby and Sapphire show gem placement doesn't necessarily have to be symmetrical so you wouldn't need a second gem.

If you're worried about how your character is going to pull our their weapon, you could also put the gem on something like one of their shoulders. Still, in my head I can think of some cool weapon-drawing animations for a Gem that uses two weapons and needs to pull both out of a gem on their hand; something like, the daggers rise out of the hand-gem and hang in the air for a second before the character quickly grabs them, stuff like that. Or hey, here's an idea: the daggers are joined, and are pulled out of the gem together, but the character splits them once the weapons are out. Sometimes having to come up with ways to make a concept work that would otherwise not make sense leads to some of the most unique aspects of the design, ya know?

1. That is very true, but unless I am mistaken, the reasons 'sonas exists is so people can live out their fantasies of being in said world/lore. At least, that is the reason behind every first 'sona I make ever.

2. Don't worry, I didn't even take it like that, so no harm no fowl.

3. I guess you have a point there, but I guess it is just a personal problem, similar to your lore-related problems, I assume.

The idea of the gem being on the back of the hand creates a problem to me, as I see daggers as the kind of weapon you either need to be a ninja assassin for or need two of or need as many of them as a archer needs as many arrows.

While I don't need a second gem, I think it at least needs to be in a place that both hands can get to it easily, which is another problem with the gem being on the back of a hand.

4. I like the idea! One question though... When you say "joined together", do you mean by a chain, like nunchucks? Because I have nothing against that, I just wanna clarify what you meant.

Also, I couldn't agree more! However, I just want my design to be well liked. I want to know I am doing it right and not making a monstrosity that everyone will hate me for. Heck, I'm not even that good at creating a ponysona that isn't me! My first attempt at that was a soothsayer, so...

(edited)

I like the idea! One question though... When you say "joined together", do you mean by a chain, like nunchucks? Because I have nothing against that, I just wanna clarify what you meant.

I was thinking of something like, together, they look like one dagger (so the character could pull it out with one hand and immediately use it) but that split in half or something to create two weapons. Kind of how like Cloud's sword from advent children was just a bunch of smaller swords all locked together, or how the "Blade of Mercy" weapon from Bloodborne looks like a short-sword but can splits into two daggers if needed.

Edited by TenorSounds

I was thinking of something like, together, they look like one dagger (so the character could pull it out with one hand and immediately use it) but that split in half or something to create two weapons. Kind of how like Cloud's sword from advent children was just a bunch of smaller swords all locked together.

I think I get what you are getting at, but I think I like my idea better. I could have them together by two chains connected to a gem, and my character breaks the gem in half, giving the daggers a more interesting look to them as well. What do you think?

Also, as a side note, it could be he is supposed to summon only one dagger. Similar to how Pearl and Amethyst have one spear and one whip, but can have two of them, as seen in "On The Run" and "Ocean Gem".

I think I get what you are getting at, but I think I like my idea better. I could have them together by two chains connected to a gem, and my character breaks the gem in half, giving the daggers a more interesting look to them as well. What do you think?

Also, as a side note, it could be he is supposed to summon only one dagger. Similar to how Pearl and Amethyst have one spear and one whip, but can have two of them, as seen in "On The Run" and "Ocean Gem".

You make a good point in that generally the Gems are shown as having only one "weapon" even if they do use duplicates of it. I think your main hitch is that you're being particular about where you put the gem on your character; once you figure that out, you should be good to go. Unfortunately, I can't offer much more advice on that than I already have.

I will say, though, that there's a way to make everything work if you explain it well enough.

• Brohoof 1

You make a good point in that generally the Gems are shown as having only one "weapon" even if they do use duplicates of it. I think your main hitch is that you're being particular about where you put the gem on your character; once you figure that out, you should be good to go. Unfortunately, I can't offer much more advice on that than I already have.

I will say, though, that there's a way to make everything work if you explain it well enough.

kk, welp, I wish you luck on getting over your thing with being lore-friendly with your 'sonas!

All I will say is when you do get around it, this is the guide I have been using to create my gemsona.

http://thecreatorofworlds.tumblr.com/post/112455115726/designing-a-gemsona

(edited)

Finally caught up with this show, actually my favorite character is Amethyst (looks like she isn't very popular...).

Favorite episodes are Ocean Gem, Warp Tower, On the Run and Jail Break.

It would be nice to have more Ruby and Sapphire, and an episode where Steven has to retreat to his gemstone for the first time.

Edited by Blobulle
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

yaaay I can finally post here without fear of spoilers! X3 I just started watching Steven Universe about a month ago and though it took a couple of episodes to really grow on me, I think it could easily be my second-fave cartoon of all time now :wub: Kinda similar to MLP, my favourite thing about it is the characters - I just love how they have complex personalities, backstories and relationships that you get to know and develop over the series, everyone feels so real and relatable...even if they're space rocks XD I love the hints/slow reveal of the Gems' backstory and stuff, and how it changes the way you see the characters and the world. I love all the supporting cast and how the Gem/more fantasy stuff interacts with the "normal" people of Beach City...I just love everything basically and I'm so glad I started watching this show ^_^ (at first I was kinda put off by people being stupid back when there was that "war" between MLP/SU fandom, but let us not speak of that :please: )

Favourite characters are Pearl, Steven, Connie and Amethyst, but I love pretty much everyone :kindness: favourite episodes (off the top of my head, no particular order) would be Giant Woman, On The Run, Lion 3 Straight To Video, Coach Steven, Rose's Scabbard, Jail Break, Story For Steven...and probably a bunch more I'm forgetting :derp:

My main ships are Stevonnie (they are the CUTEST :wub:), Larsadie and Pearl/Amethyst (Pearlmethyst? I'm a sucker for those love-hate/opposites attract kinda pairings) :catface: I used to also ship Pearl/Garnet and Polygem (Garnet/Amethyst/Pearl), but I don't think I can ship Garnet after Love Letters - she *is* a relationship after all! :please:

I've been avoiding everything SU-related because fear of spoilers, but now I'm finally caught up (I think? there aren't any more new eps over the summer, right?) I want to see ALL the pretty fanart/videos/gemsonas/whatever :pinkie: so feel free to post/tell me about your fave art, blogs, etc! I'd love to get more into this fandom :D

Edited by Coco before Pommel
  • Brohoof 3