Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Steven Universe Fanclub

darkwingmare

OK!  Brainstorm time!

I've been thinking about the powers exhibited by the Gems, trying to sort out universal abilities from ones peculiar to certain characters.  I'm trying to find patterns that might give us more clues about how the Gems work.  I definitely need help on this though--I'm sure I've missed things or misinterpreted them.

Universal powers seem to include: shape-shifting, regeneration, defying gravity (hovering, walking on ceiling), fusion, immortality (apparently), weapon generation, "bubbling"

Peculiar powers include:

holograph production (Pearl)

sand manipulation (Pearl)

water manipulation (Lapis Lazuli)

future sight (Sapphire, Garnet)

spinning dash (Amethyst, Jasper)

heat resistance (Garnet)

healing (Rose Quartz/Steven)

I'm also trying to group the weapons into "types", broadly speaking.  Again, I'd love some help!

appendage: Lapis Lazuli's wings, Peridot's fingers, Sapphire's hover-plate-thing?

blunt instrument: Garnet's gauntlets, Jasper's helmet, Sugilite's flail

cutting: Pearl's spear

defensive: Rose/Steven's shield

ranged: Opal's bow and arrow

???: Amethyst's whips

I'd also love to hear ideas about what kind of powers/weapons Alexandrine, Malachite, and Ruby might have!

• Brohoof 3

I don't know what kit they would have, but it would be great to see one of these charectors being formed. I imagine that nobody is going to stick a web cam at the end of the table at a brainstorming session? And maybe it takes a long time to design these charectors and that they take shape over time / weeks? I'm Sure it would be good viewing though !

I'd like to inform everyone that there is an episode countdown on the SU wiki for when the next airs: http://steven-universe.wikia.com

/wiki/Steven_Universe_Wiki

future sight (Sapphire, Garnet)

Ruby is the one with Future sight; not Sapphire. There's a time in the Jail Break episode where she says "where is she?" and then says she can't concentrate and runs off in a random direction hoping to find her.

• Brohoof 1

While I have only seen two episodes, I can say that the lion is my favorite character!

• Brohoof 3

While I have only seen two episodes, I can say that the lion is my favorite character!

Lion is the best of all :3

Also I spotted in the opening Connie is holding that familiar book- is that evidence towards Lion? We already know the books important since the next episode is about it.

Lion is the best, imo. lel

So turns out you can edit quotes :3

I'd like to inform everyone that there is an episode countdown on the SU wiki for when the next airs: http://steven-universe.wikia.com

/wiki/Steven_Universe_Wiki

Ruby is the one with Future sight; not Sapphire. There's a time in the Jail Break episode where she says "where is she?" and then says she can't concentrate and runs off in a random direction hoping to find her.

I thought that was because Ruby was used to having Future Sight while she was Garnet.  On the other hand, we didn't see Sapphire use it either.  Maybe neither of them have it--or they aren't able to use it very well while apart?

Anybody seen the new episode yet?

I'm glad they took a step back from the plot--the slice of life episodes are part of what makes SU great.  And those two are so sweet together!  Connie's right, Steven loves schmaltz. :) 

The room is interesting too--I forget, do the other Gems' rooms work the same way?  Or was Rose the only one with the wish-fulfillment bed set?

I caught up last night, and all I can say is it's spectacular! The songs and everything are just so good! Also the emotions they portray the characters to have, love it. 

I haven't liked a show this much in a long while. :)

• Brohoof 2

I thought that was because Ruby was used to having Future Sight while she was Garnet.  On the other hand, we didn't see Sapphire use it either.  Maybe neither of them have it--or they aren't able to use it very well while apart?

Anybody seen the new episode yet?

I'm glad they took a step back from the plot--the slice of life episodes are part of what makes SU great.  And those two are so sweet together!  Connie's right, Steven loves schmaltz. :)

The room is interesting too--I forget, do the other Gems' rooms work the same way?  Or was Rose the only one with the wish-fulfillment bed set?

I think that Ruby has the future vision too, actually. She was just too stressed and worried to concentrate on her power and that's why she got so frustrated when it didn't work. I'm not sure what Sapphire has, or either of the other two fusions that haven't revealed their weapon yet. I honestly have no clue what they possibly could have either. Malachite probably had the water, somehow, adopting that from Lapis half? But that sounds a little too simple as a "weapon". We'll have to wait and see, I guess!

I've seen the new episode! Keeping myself updated with Steven Universe is important for me, this show means to much. <3

Yes, I wasn't expecting them to keep the main plot going after that huge show-down. Knowing the show, it will probably be a few silly episodes now before they get back to the serious business again. Or, at least so I hope. My heart needs a rest from all this anyway!  :adorkable: I love the show no matter what happens in it. I'm hoping to see a Larsadie episode soon. <33333333

Stevonnie is the sweetest and most pure ship ever! I love that Connie saved Steven, for once. She's done a lot for him, but never really fought for him that way. I was almost hoping that Steven would confess right there, but... Of course, Steven being Steven, his pure and innocent soul had kept something completely different from her, that didn't even matter much. I love how their relationship developed, once again though. Connie is also one of my favorite characters in the show.

I don't think the other gems room's work the same way, no. I'll have to rewatch it all to remember, but I can't recall any of the other gems mentioning or proving that their rooms had the wish-granting ability. They told Steven it was dangerous the first time he could open the door and walked right in, though. So they should know something about it, at least. Know of the bad things that could mess with his head in there... Cause it sure DOES mess with his head. Something tells me it's his mom teaching him a lesson or two about his behavior and how he should get better whenever he makes a mistake. I'd like to think so, anyway.

• Brohoof 2

Not sure if I should be here due to potential spoilers, but I finally started watching the episodes I have not seen yet, now. With me watching other shows at the same time, I could be up to the present within a few days. 

• Brohoof 3

Something tells me it's his mom teaching him a lesson or two about his behavior and how he should get better whenever he makes a mistake. I'd like to think so, anyway.

Actually I think Steven said something like "Stop wanting what I want!" and he didn't want to tell Connie the truth, so the Room forced him to because of his order. But what has me curious is how much "life" both the fake Connie and Greg had in them. They are clearly both lovers (Not yet for Connie but we all know it'll happen) of the owner for the gem, but I can't draw any connections except maybe the gem is the brain of the room, and it is sort of just a sandbox for it. Then technically yes it could be Rose controlling it since she's half of Steven but... Not really a solid theory yet though.

I'm not sure what Sapphire has, or either of the other two fusions that haven't revealed their weapon yet. I honestly have no clue what they possibly could have either.

Well knowing the fact that the weapons combine when the gems fuse and the gauntlet being so basic, maybe sapphire just has super speed, and then Ruby just has the gauntlets.

Stevonnie is the sweetest and most pure ship ever!

I honestly can't handle that much adorableness- it's like the first ship I've ever seen that is actually perfect for them. Besides maybe Ruby and Sapphire. They each fill in each others flaws- like when they were fighting that robot thing that looks like it came straight out of Zelda Connie's tennis skills saved them. And plus Lion approves of their ship and is willing to let Connie come with Steven. And if Lion approves then you know it's the best.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Actually I think Steven said something like "Stop wanting what I want!" and he didn't want to tell Connie the truth, so the Room forced him to because of his order. But what has me curious is how much "life" both the fake Connie and Greg had in them. They are clearly both lovers (Not yet for Connie but we all know it'll happen) of the owner for the gem, but I can't draw any connections except maybe the gem is the brain of the room, and it is sort of just a sandbox for it. Then technically yes it could be Rose controlling it since she's half of Steven but... Not really a solid theory yet though.

Well knowing the fact that the weapons combine when the gems fuse and the gauntlet being so basic, maybe sapphire just has super speed, and then Ruby just has the gauntlets.

I honestly can't handle that much adorableness- it's like the first ship I've ever seen that is actually perfect for them. Besides maybe Ruby and Sapphire. They each fill in each others flaws- like when they were fighting that robot thing that looks like it came straight out of Zelda Connie's tennis skills saved them. And plus Lion approves of their ship and is willing to let Connie come with Steven. And if Lion approves then you know it's the best.

I thought about that too! At least in the last episode with Rose's room, when Greg was so alive compared to the others. I thought that it could be about either how much Greg meant to Rose/Steven, or that Rose/Steven have so much memories about them. Same with Connie, she means a lot to Steven. But then again, plenty of people and gems mean a lot to Steven, so perhaps what you're saying is true, could it be that it's the owner of the gem's lovers??? It just seems a little bit odd so far since Connie isn't exactly his lover yet, as you're saying.

However, here's another theory for the room... Perhaps Steven innerly feels like he shouldn't be lying about anything to Connie, and since the room obeys his will, it could have noted what he really felt and forced him to spit it out for his own good. In the last episode he was in the room, he was mad at the gems for not leaving him alone or letting him decide what to do for himself, so he sprints in to the room without thinking. That's when all of the zombie thing happens and he can't really control it. I'd say that it's for his inner insecurity as well, he doesn't want to fight with the gems but they get on his nerves by not letting him do what he wants while they do whatever they want themselves. He goes to the imaginary Beach City, gets confused and scared and doesn't really know what he wants anymore. So the little whale(I also think that's Rose), asks him "But Steven, what DO you want?", and he just wants to go home and be with the gems again. It could also be his inner needs to be with the gems, but he got blinded by the frustration they made him feel. You know??? Same goes with Connie, he wanted to tell her the truth but he was too caught up with what she wanted, and he didn't want to make her mad at him, so his "inner self" eventually forced him to tell her. I don't know, but I think it could be thing?

Yeah, but I'd like to know why Sapphire was singing. Is it simply because she wanted to, was it to calm herself down, or for Ruby to find her? Or was it something from their past, perhaps they lost each other before and her singing lead them to each other and saved them somehow? Since Ruby says: "She stopped singing!!" and gets really frustrated and worried about it, and has it even harder for her to see where she was. Could it be that Ruby gets her future vision ability from Sapphire's singing???

Their gems are also place on their hands like Garnet, except for that they only have one each. Which would make a lot of sense.

Omg! A Lion stamped ship! <33 That's adorable! And YES, they are superadorable, I can barely handle it either! Their cute fusion dance, I mean..?!?!?! And his little song for her two episodes back. Oh my gooosh, I love that song! <3333 Stevonnie has an official song for them, it's so adorable. And I mean, it must be the first time in history that two "humans" fused, to be more specific, one half gem half human and one human. <3 Can't be nothing but out of love! <333

Edited by darkwingmare
  • Brohoof 1

I don't know why I haven't posted here yet, I started Steven Universe not too long ago and it quickly became one of my favorite series! I'm happy to say that it was the perfect final piece for the Holy Quintet of American Animation.

For those of you wondering, the Holy Quintet is what I've decided to call my combined fandom for The Last Airbender, Adventure Time, Steven Universe, Gravity Falls, and My Little Pony. It should totally become it's own Superwholock-esque fandom :P

Question though. Just out of curiosity, do the gems and how they work remind anyone else of the magical girls from Madoka Magica? I feel like I can't be the only one picking up on that.

• Brohoof 3

I love this show so much (Thinking of doing an analysis for my channel)

Great world building, amazing music (both songs and background music), and one of the best character/art direction I've ever seen (literally every character can be identified by silloute alone).

Favorite episodes: Fusion Cuisine, Lion 3: Straight to video, Steven the Sword Fighter, and now Rose's Scabbard

My favorite episode would have to be: Jailbreak because of the fact that Garnet sings.

• Brohoof 2

In the last episode he was in the room, he was mad at the gems for not leaving him alone or letting him decide what to do for himself, so he sprints in to the room without thinking. That's when all of the zombie thing happens and he can't really control it. I'd say that it's for his inner insecurity as well, he doesn't want to fight with the gems but they get on his nerves by not letting him do what he wants while they do whatever they want themselves. He goes to the imaginary Beach City, gets confused and scared and doesn't really know what he wants anymore. So the little whale(I also think that's Rose), asks him "But Steven, what DO you want?", and he just wants to go home and be with the gems again. It could also be his inner needs to be with the gems, but he got blinded by the frustration they made him feel. You know??? Same goes with Connie, he wanted to tell her the truth but he was too caught up with what she wanted, and he didn't want to make her mad at him, so his "inner self" eventually forced him to tell her. I don't know, but I think it could be thing?

It makes sense, since the door only has ever opened when he needed to solve a problem that was hurting him on the inside. I don't feel the room is rose though, just a sort of device to teach him. Imagine if we went in there and wanted something secretly. One wat or another we would eventually have to face it in there because of the emotional distress what we "wanted" causes. This would explain why Rose acts the way she does, as if shes on a level of maturity above all others as we can see from Pearl's hologram and Rose's VHS Tape. (Lol imagine how many people didn't know what a VHS Tape was.)

And I mean, it must be the first time in history that two "humans" fused, to be more specific, one half gem half human and one human. <3 Can't be nothing but out of love! <333

This actually just struck me. What if they need a sort of love connection before they can fuse? Or at least a connection of hatred or something Like Lapis and Jasper, even though Lapis got over it she probably could recall it. Like remember "Giant Woman"? Pearl and Amethyst couldn't fuse until Steven was in trouble and they both share a love for Steven. My question is that can Steven really fuse with other Gems? It hasn't been proven yet and he wasn't really able to dance well enough to fuse but it could actually be impossible since he's half human.

For those of you wondering, the Holy Quintet is what I've decided to call my combined fandom for The Last Airbender, Adventure Time, Steven Universe, Gravity Falls, and My Little Pony. It should totally become it's own Superwholock-esque fandom :P

WHY IS THIS NOT A THING YET?! I'd so actively attend a cartoon forum for today's popular Cartoons, although if there is a section for shows like Uncle Grandpa I'd immediately leave. : P

If you like DBZ and SU you'll appreciate this!

Is it just me or does Jasper give off crazy Frieza vibes? I've only seen the Frieza arc via Live TV as a kid and the instant I saw her crazed face during her battle with Garnet the connection was made. I seriously hope they have to fight her as a fusion with like Peridot or something, because that would be amazing. Although imagine how amazing it would be if all three diamonds (Main antagonists, haven't appeared yet) fused into one.

I should give this show a try, I think Garnet is already my favorite character. :)

That's cuz Garnet is best pone.

• Brohoof 3

WHY IS THIS NOT A THING YET?! I'd so actively attend a cartoon forum for today's popular Cartoons, although if there is a section for shows like Uncle Grandpa I'd immediately leave. : P

We'll just have to make it a thing. The Fab Five fandom, or the Quintet, whichever sounds better. Either way, it shall be the best fandom of all fandoms :D

• Brohoof 2

We'll just have to make it a thing. The Fab Five fandom, or the Quintet, whichever sounds better. Either way, it shall be the best fandom of all fandoms :D

Imagine if you combine all the main characters into one o-o what would that look like?

Funny that you can actually do that in SU though.

Imagine if you combine all the main characters into one o-o what would that look like?

Funny that you can actually do that in SU though.

Very true. It'd be weird to see that with characters from other shows, or across shows  :blink:

• Brohoof 1

Yes, well, I think the brony fandom in general is VERY nice, I have never felt threatened on THIS forum, ever.. Or seen any rude comments on here, for anything. So I'm happy for that, I really like how supportive the brony community is and how sweet everyone is towards each other. But some of those comments are so much bullcrap.

I'm especially mad because of this one person, I won't mention any usernames, but...

"God I hate that show." "I have watched it, and I think it is stupid. It reminds me of shows like uncle grandpa and teen titans go. Two horrible horrible shows." How DARE they compare SU to those two?!?!? Then this person have gotten really rather friendly responses by sweet bronies who also like Steven Universe, like us... That gently explains what the show really is about and that they shouldn't judge it like that. And what does the other person respond to this sweet person??? Well, TAKE A GOOD LOOK: "I don't care how epic the story is on the surface. I hate the art style, I don't like the voice acting, I don't like the plot in general, and it's just too goofy and cheesy. The fact that it relies on slapstick and shock humor for most of its comedy(As do all of CN's current programing) sickens me." YOU sicken me with this attitude, you closed-up person who's most likely a troll! We don't want any frikkin' trolls in the brony community, GET OUT!

People can think whatever they want, but if it's negative, KEEP IT TO YOURSELF, or discuss it with UNDERSTANDING and REASON. Don't just.. Do this! Someone will eventually get hurt, which is not okay! NEVER okay!

Funny thing about you mentioning Uncle Grandpa, because it is getting a crossover episode with Steven Universe.

Funny thing about you mentioning Uncle Grandpa, because it is getting a crossover episode with Steven Universe.

My life is a lie :(

It better be on their end and have Steven go there instead of vice versa.

• Brohoof 1

My life is a lie :(

It better be on their end and have Steven go there instead of vice versa.

From what little I know of Uncle Grandpa, it seems like a strange decision.  I wonder why they chose to crossover those particular shows . . .  :huh:

From what little I know of Uncle Grandpa, it seems like a strange decision.  I wonder why they chose to crossover those particular shows . . .  :huh:

Because they are polar opposites.

I sincerely say this with the utmost respect but I am about troll....

So me being a 90s kid, I honestly feel that a lot of the newer cartoons absolutely suck! I understand the backlash and stuff...Don't post if you don't like it yourself or even bother clicking on it! I am merely giving my honest opinion of how they ruined Teen Titans, Transformers, and numerous other cartoons that were genuinely awesome and replaced them with sorry versions of television entertainment for the younger generations.... 

• Brohoof 1