Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why has Applebloom never had any moments with Big Macintosh?

ggg-2

It seems that whenever something meaningful goes on in Applebloom's life, she always shares it with her sister, not her brother. But why? Sure, Big Mac isn't nearly as talkative and verbose as Applejack, but he is wiser and more level-headed, by far. (no offense to my Jackie!  ^_^ ) Those missed opportunities would be good character development for Big Mac, as well.

• Brohoof 5

I think it's because the show wants to focus on the Mane 6; what happens to Apple Bloom is only relevant to the show inasmuch as it has to do with Applejack. So she probably has had moments with Big Mac, but they just don't bother to show them.

Of course, I could be wrong.

• Brohoof 3

Big Mac isn't nearly as talkative and verbose as Applejack

I think that's the main reason, except "Eeyup" and "Nope", he doesn't say anything (blame the writers...). Scenes with him and Applebloom would be annoying.

• Brohoof 2

Because Mac and Bloom are both background/side characters, and almost all interaction between characters occurs between the Mane 6 and a character or an internal conflict for that character/conflict that specifically involves that character and an antagonist (and yes, the CMC count as one character for this comparison)

The two of them have had a few small moments together.

Since Big Mac is a third tier character it makes sense that AB, who is a second tier character, would have more interactions with her first tier sister.

• Brohoof 1

I think that's the main reason, except "Eeyup" and "Nope", he doesn't say anything (blame the writers...). Scenes with him and Applebloom would be annoying.

Well they basically turned him into a joke character with the "eeyup" and "nope"

• Brohoof 1

Well, the problem with them showing a major interaction with AB and Big Mac is that Big Mac isn't a main character; period. He plays a supporting and, as such, doesn't have much place for a starring role in the show (at least up to this point). Apple Bloom is a main-ish character and thus has her own stories, or stories that she shares with AJ, who is one of the main characters.

At least Big mac gets his own comic arc; though the CMC play a background role in that one. XD

• Brohoof 2

he's said a lot more than that in "Applebuck season", "ponyville confidential", and  the most recent episode "Bloom and gloom"

• Brohoof 3

he's said a lot more than that in "Applebuck season", "ponyville confidential", and the most recent episode "Bloom and gloom"

Applebuck Season: It was his first appearance, they hadn't thought of that recurring joke yet.

Ponyville Confidential: him and Applejack swapped roles, the fact he talks normally was the joke.

Bloom and Gloom: it was a nightmare.

But he doesn't talk normally in most episodes, he never has a normal conversation with someone else.

• Brohoof 1

Applebuck Season: It was his first appearance, they hadn't thought of that recurring joke yet.

Ponyville Confidential: him and Applejack swapped roles, the fact he talks normally was the joke.

Bloom and Gloom: it was a nightmare.

But he doesn't talk normally in most episodes, he never has a normal conversation with someone else.

regardless of the circumstances, he's still had those speaking lines, which amount to more than just "eeyup" and "eenope" as part of his vocabulary.

Edited by Nightmare Muffin
  • Brohoof 1

It may just be as simple as Big Mac doesn't share the same interests as Apple Bloom does. He's also much busier, along with being strong and silent, so AJ defers as the primary parent for Apple Bloom along with Granny Smith, who is often equally as assertive.

AB doesn't share the same relationship that Twilight does with Shining Armor, because that's not how she grew up. It may also simply be that Apple Bloom has a big she relates to already with Applejack so she doesn't look to Big Mac. Twilight only has Shining Armor. Not to say that gender is the reason why but it could play a role. We saw earlier in the season that Spike and Big Mac share a lot more "masculine" interests talking about sports and collecting sports cards.

@@Suukorak, @@nurd,

I don't think it's fair to dismiss the CMCs as side characters. Rather, Friendship is Magic has three overlapping narratives.

In one narrative (which well over half the show's episodes are devoted to), the Elements of Harmony are the main characters, and the CMCs are side characters.

In the second narrative, the CMCs are the main characters, and the Elements are side characters.

There is third narrative as well — the Apple family narrative, where episodes like Bloom and Gloom, and Apple Family Reunion, and Pinkie Apple Pie fit. Here Applejack and Apple Bloom, and to a lesser extent Big Mac and Granny Smith, are the main characters, and the rest of the Elements of Harmony, and the CMCs are side characters.

There are a handful of episodes that don't fit into any of these categories. A small number deal with the Rarity/Sweetie Belle relationship, or Rainbow Dash/Scootaloo. There's a couple that focus mostly on Spike. And there's Cutie Mark Chronicles, which is primarily part of the CMC narrative, but uses flashbacks to provide exposition for the primary narrative.

Vital Spark, (I didn't read the whole post but) I'm not sure I would say the Apple family has their own entire narrative. I mean they've got plenty of highlight episodes as a family, but I don't think their family issues are very continuous.

I see it where those episode are mostly Applejack OR CMC-focused. I think it just gives the Apples a but too much weight to say that they hold anything around a third of our attention. "Bloom and Gloom" was definitely a CMC episode in my book.

In line with the topic, I just think Big Mac doesn't have a personality that the writers think is worth exploring. Apple Bloom did mention having a deep conversation with him at one point, and he does have his humid outs rambling moments.

Sorry for my book^^

I think we could just narrow this down to why hasn't Big Mac had many moments in the show PERIOD. It all comes down to him being a supporting or background character, just like everyone else has said. I'd love to see more development from him in the coming seasons, however.

he's said a lot more than that in "Applebuck season", "ponyville confidential", and  the most recent episode "Bloom and gloom"

He really let Applebloom, Scootaloo, and Sweetie Belle have a piece of his mind in "Ponyville Confidential"  I liked how Applejack refused to talk to them, so it was up to Big Mac to let them know what he thought of their gossip. I like his character. He's stoic, and only talks when he has something important to say.

Edited by cuteycindyhoney

As others have said, Big Mac is more of a minor character. Also, in real life it's not unusual for kids to prefer to talk to their same sex siblings about certain things. Of course, I'm only speaking from observation since I don't have a same sex sibling, and my sister and I are total opposites.

Just because we don't see it on screen doesn't mean that they do not interact with each other that much.

We've got plenty of episodes to come because from what I hear we will have seven seasons at least so I guess we might see an episode centered on Big Mac and Apple Bloom eventually. Writers haven't done anything where both these characters are together.

• Brohoof 1