Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Can Transhumanism and My Little Pony fandom fit together?

Microghost

Having superpowers like superspeed, superintelligence, near indestructability, having a superhuman sense of comedy, and time freezing abilities would be cool. But that's mostly in comic books. The more likely scenarios are either an iron man suit or becoming a cyborg. As for superintelligence, that's most likely to come out of laboratories as a safe version of NZT and neurogenesis compounds since the chemists already have a head start and are making exponentially greater strides. A watch computer with internet and some type of memo pad with a customizable schedule would also be a cool technology in the future. Also, Twilight is awesome!

• Brohoof 2

Having superpowers like superspeed, superintelligence, near indestructability, having a superhuman sense of comedy, and time freezing abilities would be cool. But that's mostly in comic books. The more likely scenarios are either an iron man suit or becoming a cyborg. As for superintelligence, that's most likely to come out of laboratories as a safe version of NZT and neurogenesis compounds since the chemists already have a head start and are making exponentially greater strides. A watch computer with internet and some type of memo pad with a customizable schedule would also be a cool technology in the future. Also, Twilight is awesome!

Why is everyone's point of reference always movies and video games? You're not wrong (although a "watch computer" wouldn't really be transhumanist as it's a separate device not something embedded into the person.)

You're right, scientists have made great strives when it comes to nootropic pharmaceuticals. It would just be nice to hear more about actual transhumanist related research rather than strictly science fiction. (And increasingly dated sci-fi at that as the only point of reference people seem to have when it comes to things like A.G.I. is freakin' Terminator!)

• Brohoof 1

Why is everyone's point of reference always movies and video games? You're not wrong (although a "watch computer" wouldn't really be transhumanist as it's a separate device not something embedded into the person.)

You're right, scientists have made great strives when it comes to nootropic pharmaceuticals. It would just be nice to hear more about actual transhumanist related research rather than strictly science fiction. (And increasingly dated sci-fi at that as the only point of reference people seem to have when it comes to things like A.G.I. is freakin' Terminator!)

Yeah, let's work on getting back the ability to synthesize all the essential vitamins and amino acids by ourselves, rather than having to find external sources for them!

Reminds me of a story idea I had where a fruit corporation tries to assassinate scientists working on gene therapy to allow people to generate their own vitamin C.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Yeah, let's work on getting back the ability to synthesize all the essential vitamins and amino acids by ourselves, rather than having to find external sources for them!

Reminds me of a story idea I had where a fruit corporation tries to assassinate scientists working on gene therapy to allow people to generate their own vitamin C.

Why would they do that? Besides the whole "immoral and criminal" thing, if anything they'd want to hire those scientists! Besides, a fruit company? Not exactly arms dealers with mafia connections there.

Edited by Steel Accord

It would just be nice to hear more about actual transhumanist related research rather than strictly science fiction. (And increasingly dated sci-fi at that as the only point of reference people seem to have when it comes to things like A.G.I. is freakin' Terminator!)

Can you blame them though? Most people don't think all that critically. If they did, we'd be discussing the history of transhumanism, rather than its potential. The closest most people come to experiencing and thinking scientifically outside of a school experience (and those don't' exactly get done right either) are from movies and video games. At least those spark imagination and 'what if'; scenarios? I wouldn't be here if I never watched the shows and played the video games that I did. 

Maybe a reference point would help. Transhumanism for dummies beginners. A demonstration done by someone with recognition, someone mildly famous. Someone who gets it too.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x14ob1y_can-you-live-forever-2012_shortfilms 

• Brohoof 2

Why would they do that? Besides the whole "immoral and criminal" thing, if anything they'd want to hire those scientists! Besides, a fruit company? Not exactly arms dealers with mafia connections there.

It was mildly tongue-in-cheek, back in my liberal days. The whole idea was the fruit company didn't want people to stop needing a viable source of vitamin C.

• Brohoof 2

.....this is an actual thing? Why? Just bloody why?! This is almost as silly as the whole kin trend. Remember that? When people went around saying they were dog-kin or kitty-kin? I try not to remember that.

What is it with people always putting labels on abstract ideas? I get that some people are bored enough with their lives to suddenly say they are something else other than a human. 

Im gonna sound like a hypocrite by saying this, but who cares? I always say that im not human, that I am a dragon. I say this because of Tyler the Creator who said an interview that you can be whatever you want to be and screw anyone who says otherwise.

Now this was three-four years ago before the kin trend even started. I feel like this is just a troll phrase from tumblr. Whats next, transautomobilism? transoperatingsystemism?

As for this 'idea' meshing with the pony fandom, its whatever. I think this is a trend and will go away like the deez nuts guy.

Can you blame them though? Most people don't think all that critically. If they did, we'd be discussing the history of transhumanism, rather than its potential. The closest most people come to experiencing and thinking scientifically outside of a school experience (and those don't' exactly get done right either) are from movies and video games. At least those spark imagination and 'what if'; scenarios? I wouldn't be here if I never watched the shows and played the video games that I did. 

Maybe a reference point would help. Transhumanism for dummies beginners. A demonstration done by someone with recognition, someone mildly famous. Someone who gets it too.

Well in their defense, I myself am not that critical a thinker either. Most of my thinking comes from my heart, not my head and I fully acknowledge this. Thing is, when I do think of transhumanism, I think of the stuff being worked on in labs, the potential of it in reality, and a bright future for civilization. Not really a specific "version" of the future that's been handed to me by someone else. (Then again, I myself, am a writer so maybe others just can't come up with their own vision of the future that doesn't involve the word "dystopia.")

My problem isn't most people's reference points being video games or movies. I'm the same way. My problem is their reference points are never PRO-transhuman, even when the examples they use like Mass Effect or Deus Ex have pro-transhumanism elements.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

It seems you never worked on "processed foods"  industries [from canned beef to Coca Cola].

As a (drop out) chemical/food engineer from Argentina; I can assure you: [sans actually killing people], they could be as bad as your average inside-the-country "arms dealer" or any other non-drugs_based local mafia.

Edited by SilverComet
  • Brohoof 1

It was mildly tongue-in-cheek, back in my liberal days. The whole idea was the fruit company didn't want people to stop needing a viable source of vitamin C.

Ah, parody. Forgive me, such is not my strong suit as a writer or a viewer.

.....this is an actual thing? Why? Just bloody why?! This is almost as silly as the whole kin trend. Remember that? When people went around saying they were dog-kin or kitty-kin? I try not to remember that.

What is it with people always putting labels on abstract ideas? I get that some people are bored enough with their lives to suddenly say they are something else other than a human. 

Im gonna sound like a hypocrite by saying this, but who cares? I always say that im not human, that I am a dragon. I say this because of Tyler the Creator who said an interview that you can be whatever you want to be and screw anyone who says otherwise.

Now this was three-four years ago before the kin trend even started. I feel like this is just a troll phrase from tumblr. Whats next, transautomobilism? transoperatingsystemism?

As for this 'idea' meshing with the pony fandom, its whatever. I think this is a trend and will go away like the deez nuts guy.

I'm sorry. Are you confusing transhumanism with otherkin tendencies? No one hear who actually knows what transhumanism is, which is a depressingly small amount from the looks of it, thinks that they "are transhuman."

Is that your impression?

It's not that transhumanists think they're not human. It's advancing science and technology to allow ourselves to exceed our present limitations as human beings. And transhumanism isn't just an idea. It's an ideology, and at this point, practically a field of science. And as we as human beings are dissatisfied with the limitations of our present existence, than you can bet that transhumanism isn't going away.

And quite a few people care. The prospect of furthering our own evolution and transcending past human limits is an exciting prospect. 

As for it's ponification, why not?  If someone wants to use the values of friendship to advance human development, or just continue living on in a virtual reality filled with ponies, then more power to them. 

• Brohoof 2

A "Mythbuster" doing Science on Transhumanism. 

42 minutes.

TV-14-v (violence) rating.

Working link with decent resolution and low latency.

Challenge accepted.

• Brohoof 1

Ah, parody. Forgive me, such is not my strong suit as a writer or a viewer.

I'm sorry. Are you confusing transhumanism with otherkin tendencies? No one hear who actually knows what transhumanism is, which is a depressingly small amount from the looks of it, thinks that they "are transhuman."

Is that your impression?

What you said on the part of parody, and what Silver Comet said with regards to what fruit companies can get away with at times.

• Brohoof 1

What you said on the part of parody, and what Silver Comet said with regards to what fruit companies can get away with at times.

Even still, I'd find it a much easier a pill to swallow that the scientists' enemies would be government restrictions than a fruit company. Was Ford the target of assassination by the people who made carriages and horse whips?

Even still, I'd find it a much easier a pill to swallow that the scientists' enemies would be government restrictions than a fruit company. Was Ford the target of assassination by the people who made carriages and horse whips?

As I said, it was back when I was a liberal. It would probably be a government doing it at the end of the day now that I'm wiser than I was.

• Brohoof 2

As I said, it was back when I was a liberal. It would probably be a government doing it at the end of the day now that I'm wiser than I was.

Sorry, I don't mean to buck a dead tree and creative decisions when it comes to fiction aren't exactly pertinent to the topic at hoof.

• Brohoof 1

The concept of transhumanism alone is enough to make me wish that I was born decades earlier, when many of the technologies we have working towards it were little more a dream. I've always said that we live in an amazing time, but also an incredibly frightening one. 

I'll never accept it. I'll never accept anything related to it. I'll never choose to become anything more than a human being. I'll sooner die before I have my brain turned into a computer, or anything else it claims to offer me. 

Call me a Luddite or whatever you will, but this is just how I feel. I know my way of thinking won't be tolerated in the "Brave New World." 

(edited)

The concept of transhumanism alone is enough to make me wish that I was born decades earlier, when many of the technologies we have working towards it were little more a dream. I've always said that we live in an amazing time, but also an incredibly frightening one. 

I'll never accept it. I'll never accept anything related to it. I'll never choose to become anything more than a human being. I'll sooner die before I have my brain turned into a computer, or anything else it claims to offer me. 

Call me a Luddite or whatever you will, but this is just how I feel. I know my way of thinking won't be tolerated in the "Brave New World." 

We are not that naive.

The idea is not "becoming a computer"; but rather making a computer a "closer enough" facsimil of us, so everything that defines my ego survives; even if "me" (as myself) does actually not.

Is not that different of having a child that you raise, educate and indoctrinate so it becomes "as closer as you" as posible; while also applying punishment and/or brainwashing to prevent lazyness (or free thinking) setting a career choice or other character defining aspect of their personality in a way you do not like.

Is the ultimate bastardization of the "right" to force inanimate matter to transport your "memes".

Or.. you know... you can just die and be forgotten. Forever.

- - - - - 

EDIT:

Since Poe's law is in effect; I must declare:

"THIS POST IS A PARODY"

Edited by SilverComet
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

No I'd still say amazing. What you think the Dark Ages or the age of colonialism were better times to be alive?

Then . . . don't do it. No one now or ever is going to be holding a gun to your head to upload.

Again, that damn comparison when A Brave New World was about forced caste systems and repressed emotions and individuality. Not even through some future tech just through social conditioning! (Seriously, did anyone who makes this comparison read the book?)

And why is everyone think that transhumanism will be some top down directive thing rather than an apple store thing? You don't want to augment? Fine! 

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Then . . . don't do it. No one now or ever is going to be holding a gun to your head to upload.

Again, that damn comparison when A Brave New World was about forced caste systems and repressed emotions and individuality. Not even through computers just through social conditioning! (Seriously, did anyone who makes the comparison this read the book?)

And why is everyone think that transhumanism will be some top down directive thing rather than an apple store thing? You don't want to augment? Fine! 

I really like your comparison of non-forced [borg-like] augment/upload with an APP store offering you a particular "upgrade".

[OFFTOPIC]

It was also funny for me; because you sayed in another post that an IPod had become so cheap that everyone can buy one.

Then (for the first time in my life), I checked at (local equivalent) of Ebay in Argentina for the cheapest/oldest [but still new-in-a-box] version available. 

Your statement is true (at least in my country). 

(I would not buy one; but just because it can not play natively .OGG or .FLAC formated lossless music)

Edited by SilverComet
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

The idea is not "becoming a computer"; but rather making a computer a "closer enough" facsimil of us, so everything that defines my ego survives; even if "me" (as myself) does actually not.

And that idea is still utterly repulsive to me. 

What you think the Dark Ages or the age of colonialism were better times to be alive?

Probably the fifties, actually. The twenties would be my first choice, but I'd rather not be there for the Great Depression.

You don't know that. But if it does come to that, I'll gladly tell them to pull the trigger. 

Edited by Cleverclover

I really like your comparison of non-forced [borg-like] augment/upload with an APP store offering you a particular "upgrade".

[OFFTOPIC]

It was also funny for me; because you sayed in another post that an IPod had become so cheap that everyone can buy one.

Then (for the first time in my life), I checked at (local equivalent) of Ebay in Argentina for the cheapest/oldest [but still new-in-a-box] version available. 

Your statement is true (at least in my country). 

(I would not buy one; but just because it can not play natively .OGG or .FLAC formated lossless music)

Well yeah, ideally transhuman augmentation should be an open and competitive market. Multiple companies trying to make the better, cheaper, more specialized, more generalized, augs and better ways to get them to people who want or need them. So it would look, ideally, like an app store or a bazaar/marketplace.

"Hey! Can I interest you in an upgrade for your cybernetic arm?"

"No, try my version! It's better for your price range!"

"Pfft, arms? Why not skip the anthropomorphic crowd all together and get this prehensile tail aug for an extra appendage?"

(See? That kind of thing would never happen if the ipod was not invented by a man with an idea. As technology in a free market advances, it becomes more proliferated not exclusive.)

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

As for it's ponification, why not?  If someone wants to use the values of friendship to advance human development, or just continue living on in a virtual reality filled with ponies, then more power to them. 

Because more often than not the ideas these stories promote is not harmony with human and ponies. But with promoting pony hegemony on the evil humans by removing their ability to hate Princess Celestia and the ponies.

Like if I was forced to convert, I would hate ponies. I would probably want to kill them.... if I've convinced they are all zombie robots that is. 

Edited by Bendy