Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Will memory erasure ever be available to the general public?

Littlecandylulu903

I was talking about this with my cousin, since he tells me of bad experiences hes had while using this site. He wishes he could wipe his memory clean of said experiences, but thinks his reasons are too "petty" and "stupid" for it to be considered acceptable. I'm sure you all know of the progress that has been made in terms of research for this treatment, but chances are it would only be available to those suffering from severe PTSD as there are very good reasons to think it wouldn't be a walk in the park.

So if wiping memories becomes a thing, would it be available to those who wanted it, whoever they are, or would it be very restricted?

Memories make you who you are. I forget a lot already and even though I remember the good, the bad and the ugly, it's all worth it. No memory is worth losing. But for people with things like PTSD and such perhaps it's a reasonable option. Still, I think those sort of things should be restricted and stuff.

It will still depend your reasons to do it. It would create such a mess otherwise :ooh: .

Anyway, you can still do it by yourself, there are a lot of ways to do it, the human mind is such a fragile thing anyway.

Unless you have PTSD, I don't see a reason to get rid of memories. Even the painful ones make us who we are and even have the potential to make us better people :)

• Brohoof 1

Such a thing could very easily cause quite the hazard. If people just up and forgot the things that taught them common sense or how to do their job things would really go in the shitter.

Imagine if the criminal element got their hands on it as well.

• Brohoof 1

Such a thing could very easily cause quite the hazard. If people just up and forgot the things that taught them common sense or how to do their job things would really go in the shitter.

Imagine if the criminal element got their hands on it as well.

Why would they erase those things?

Why would they erase those things?

Painful memories, perfectionists who wish to erase mistakes, doing so totally by accident...there's a host of reasons and I couldn't possibly predict all of them.

I was talking about this with my cousin, since he tells me of bad experiences hes had while using this site. He wishes he could wipe his memory clean of said experiences, but thinks his reasons are too "petty" and "stupid" for it to be considered acceptable. I'm sure you all know of the progress that has been made in terms of research for this treatment, but chances are it would only be available to those suffering from severe PTSD as there are very good reasons to think it wouldn't be a walk in the park.

So if wiping memories becomes a thing, would it be available to those who wanted it, whoever they are, or would it be very restricted?

Painful memories are some of the most valuable memories we have.  They define one's character.  Without any painful memories, one would not be the same person.

As for if anyone figured out how to wipe memories, we would be in a very scary and dystopian world.  I can't believe it would not be abused.

• Brohoof 2

Nope. Neither should it. Even if you have stuff like PTSD.

Even if said PTSD drives an ex-soldier to go on a rampage or something?

It's not exactly black-and-white, you know.

Painful memories are some of the most valuable memories we have.  They define one's character.  Without any painful memories, one would not be the same person.

As for if anyone figured out how to wipe memories, we would be in a very scary and dystopian world.  I can't believe it would not be abused.

Some memories aren't helpful, Especially since my cousin is currently permabanned from this site.

As already said, memories are a large part of making us who we are. To be able to erase one's own memories.... That is one thing I hope never becomes available. Sure, there are some case in which it would be good, but there are more cases in which it would be a very bad thing.

Plus, memory deletion would easily lead onto memory alteration, which would open an entirely worse can of worms.

Even if said PTSD drives an ex-soldier to go on a rampage or something?

It's not exactly black-and-white, you know.

It would be great in that situation. I'm afraid the technology would expand to be used beyond that.

Also, Black-And-White doesn't exist. I didn't mention it.

While I appreciate some people might be wishing they could erase some select memories from their minds, I don't think it's something that should ever be done. You might as well be denying a portion of your past, of your life, and it's not like just because you don't remember it anymore it never actually happened. You can't just erase the past. I think its a far better idea to just try and make amends for any particular parts of your past you weren't happy about and then learn from the experience, move on harder and tougher for it.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Exactly, we learn so much from them.

Plus without bad memories, we can't really feel happiness anymore.

Edited by Blobulle

(edited)

You don't want an "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" type situation.  Where anyone can just walk into a facility and have anything erased from their memory on a whim.  Should it somehow become a reliable, humane, and precise practice (and I ain't talking shock therapy), I think memory erasure should be limited to those whose past could genuinely prevent them from living more-or-less ordinary or satisfactory lives; particularly concerning their day-to-day functionality.  Regardless, it should be entirely up to the individual.  Some of us learn from suffering.  Overcome it and become better or stronger.

Edited by Ziggy and Angelbaby
  • Brohoof 2

I'm sure the technology could exist someday.  Probably a bad idea, I reckon.

This also brings another potential abuse ...  The "death of personality" punishment for crimes.

So many ethical questions.  If you erase a criminals memory, what does that mean?  Is he stil bad?  Could he be completely rehabilitated?  Like, what if you had MIB flashy thinged Hitler for his entire life.  Everything gone.  What would he be like after that?  Would/could his envirnoment create a completely different individual?  We're talking Picard/Shinzon stuff here.

But if we could erase memories, surely we could implant them as well.  Right?  Now we're getting really crazy.  What's that game where memories are a commodity to be bought and sold?  Remember Me, I think.

• Brohoof 1

Watch the Gravity Falls episode 'The Society of the Blind Eye'. It does a pretty good job at explaining why having such a technique readily available would not be a good idea. I don't think it's smart to erase things from your mind, even the worst memories you have. Memories are a part of you, and dealing with them will help you grow as a person.

I sure hope so. My only desire is that it would target specific memories, and be anonymous when underwent. I think it already exists to some degree with Electrotherapy, but its crude at best. I'm afraid taking a pill and Mekong bad memories go away is still a bit SciFi, but who knows.

(edited)

This is a very very bad idea, for one thing who knows what kind of effect this sort of thing could have on the brain it could potentially cause a great deal of serious damage especially with repeated use. It could cause people to become too dependent on this to solve their problems and use it as a sort of crutch which could cripple their personal growth. And most disturbingly of all governments and other unscrupulous groups and individuals could use that technology for all sorts of purposes. You could set up some poor patsy and erase their memory so they won't be able to talk, the government has set up a ton of patsies in the past and is actively doing it now do we really need to make this even easier by being able to wipe peoples memories?

Edited by Darth Bane