Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

hasbro moving mlp to a different channel ? or maybe to digital only .

reformed twixie

the hub wasn't doing as well as Hasbro and discovery had hoped, Discovered kicked Hasbro off the channel givng them a morning block. Even if it wasn't doing as well ,it still had quality programming. All they needed to do was get solid lineup of new shows. 

As you may have heard because of the horrible programming on Discovery family, they are hemorrhaging views. The only show worth a  damn watching is mlp .

my guess is they are just going to up and sell it soon. If so new seasons of mlp only on netflix or what ever legal streaming site. any ones thoughts ?

• Brohoof 2

Maybe, or perhaps moving it to Cartoon Network is another option too unless more experienced posters can say that's not a good idea.

You know how Cartoon Network would handle a cartoon that wasn't one of their own? Only a couple airings in the early morning on the weekend, with hardly to no reruns at any other point in the week, and with little to no promos. Just like Transformers, Sonic Boom, and Pokemon .

• Brohoof 2

Disney? NOOOOOO way! I think MLP should remained on Discovery Family. Same as moving from Treehouse TV to YTV in Canada, it might work better.

If it went to Disney they would probably put it on the Disney xd channel. I just hope what ever happens it stays on the air.

• Brohoof 1

I think i said it a dozen times that as long as the toys sell very well, that Hasbro couldn't give much of a damn how the ratings for Friendship is magic are, since the toys keep the show alive, not the ratings.

• Brohoof 1

As you may have heard because of the horrible programming on Discovery family, they are hemorrhaging views. The only show worth a damn watching is mlp .

Littlest Pet Shop isn't that bad and is quite like MLP and Pound Puppies isn't really that great but is kinda decent and fun to watch at times. :confused:

But anyways, as Hypnosparkle said, Hasbro doesn't dependent on the ratings alone. As long as the toys are selling, the show could still go on air.

Besides, Discovery knows how popular MLP is with both the fandom and kids, I doubt they'd remove the show entirely from the channel. And if they did, they wouldn't until season 5 ended.

• Brohoof 1

I do not know about it as I live in Australia. So that does not bother me. It could be a bad thing if it is Netflix only as us Australians have to put in a VPN to go on Netflix USA as our Netflix does not have MLP.

I don't think it's going anywhere. There are enough episodes now where they might offer syndication deals to other channels though. The new episodes would still air on Discovery, but older episodes would be available for say, Cartoon Network.  

• Brohoof 1

It's a tough call when the show depends on the merchandise, rather than the other way around - the important aspect is not the concept itself, but the licensing rights. Whoever carries the show will only get a small fraction of revenue, as so much is being produced merchandise-wise that only Hasbro is really making big money on it. Any channel that carries it will know that it's not pulling in huge ratings, therefore ad revenue will be low.

The good thing is, MLP has a dedicated and devoted fanbase, and that fanbase seems uniquely aware that the merch keeps the show going. This knowledge gives the fans much more power than say for example, kids who watched pokemon had. They were unaware that merchandising drove the show. A large, older fanbase can influence the growth of MLP - support what is of good quality (and DON'T SUPPORT what is not), write to the show's producers, make your voices heard. A unified fanbase can both keep a good show going, and on the right track, because if it falls away, all it takes is one bad quarter of low merchandise sales to get attention.

• Brohoof 1

First off Discovery Family hasn't even been around for a full year yet, so I think its way too early to be putting nails in their coffin. Secondary, they didn't "kick Hasbro out". Hasbro merely gave up majority ownership. Now, let's compare Discovery Family to Hub. Hub aired animated programming from six AM until five PM on weekdays, the majority of which were based on Hasbro toys (Sabrina and Teenage Fairytale dropouts being two I can think of that didn't). Discovery Family airs pretty much the same thing in the same time slot, with the exception of that now all of the animated programming is now Hasbro related. After sixPM Hub took the Nick at Note route and aired re-runs of old sitcoms like Sister Sister and Mork and Mindy. On Fridays and weekends they often aired family oriented movies, with very little to no original programsprograms during primetime hours. Now that it is called Discovery Family, the only difference is that now the primetime programming is no longer sitcoms, but instead it is re-runs of shows from other Discovery Network channels, with little to no original programs. So what does this mean? It means that Hub had to buy the rights to air those old sitcoms and movies, which cost them money, which they hoped to recoup by selling advertising. That didn't really work out. Discovery Family already owns the rights to all the programming that they air. So, what this means is that they run that channel for almost no overhead cost. Discovery Network probably sells advertising in a wholesale block that encompasses all of the various networks that they own, including Discovery Family. A really big difference I've noticed between Hub and Discovery Family is in the quality of the sponsors advertising. Hub had a lot of ads for low end toys "not in stores and available through their website" like juggle bubbles and pajanimales and crap like that. Since the name change the advertising is about the same as on any other network + toys and cereal.

So let's review. The only original programs being produced by Discovery Family is shows by Hasbro, who makes money by selling toys, not advertising. In other words, Hasbro dose'nt rely on advertising money to pay for the production of their programs. Discovery Family dose'nt produce any other original content and don't have to pay for rights to air the majority of the content that they air, except for the rights to the movies. So, they are making money by selling advertising and paying next to nothing for the content that they air. So, even if somehow this business model is hemorrhaging money, I'm almost certain that they will give it more than a year ( and likely try something different) before they fold. Really the only thing fucking it all up is the volume of people who steal content via piracy.

...finally, my degree in television and film production comes in handy (I work in live production)

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Whoever is suggesting they switch to Disney. You do realize Disney doesn't allow fan made works. Like it would be the end of the fandom and of all these websites dedicated to it! Well maybe thats a bit over dramatic considering fans would defiantly fight back but you get the point. C&D's would be common with Disney around the fandom, which would hurt the big guys in the fandom.

Edited by Firedog

Whoever is suggesting they switch to Disney. You do realize Disney doesn't allow fan made works. Like it would be the end of the fandom and of all these websites dedicated to it! Well maybe thats a bit over dramatic considering fans would defiantly fight back but you get the point. C&D's would be common with Disney around the fandom, which would hurt the big guys in the fandom.

Does Disney Channel even air non-Disney owned content?

Does Disney Channel even air non-Disney owned content?

I don't think so, which is another reason it would be a bad idea, they would probably have to sell it to Disney!

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I don't think so, which is another reason it would be a bad idea, they would probably have to sell it to Disney!

Firedog, you're exactly correct - they don't air non-Disney shows, and they would crack down like none other on fan-produced works....

....ironic, as their big money makers nowadays are Marvel and Star Wars properties, which 1. are not originally Disney concepts and 2. Have the largest and most dedicated fanbases which produce the greatest amount of fan-created content of any franchise.

This is a new era of production, so judging by older concepts and theories won't work. I hesitate to call all people who pull content by alternative avenues "pirates" as that implies malicious aforethought. Pre-teens aren't actively seeking to break rules when they download content online - this is the distribution method with which they have grown up, and production companies are going to have to deal with this (I realize older, actually criminally minded people are doing it, too, and yes, they are pirates). Merchandising and show production are intrinsically linked more than they have ever been. Also, MLP has an extremely age-diverse fan base. This is a very interesting subject to follow, at the very least.

hmmm why not a horse channel or better yet mlps own channel ? xD

That's a pretty good idea. Have the show, and allow for fan-created content. An MLP block of sorts could rake in the viewership, keep the show concept going, and would definitely please the fan base.

Edited by Rogue Ruffian
  • Brohoof 1

Well it's already confirmed for another season on that channel so don't expect it to go anywhere anytime soon. And I'm not really sure if Hasbro would be willing to take it away from that channel as I believe they still have an investment in it.

• Brohoof 1

Well it's already confirmed for another season on that channel so don't expect it to go anywhere anytime soon. And I'm not really sure if Hasbro would be willing to take it away from that channel as I believe they still have an investment in it.

Very true - obviously everything is speculative at the moment.