movies/tv Powerpuff Girls 2016 Reboot

The Coffee Pony

(edited)

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2015/06/09/cartoon-network-unveils-first-look-at-new-powerpuff-girls-series

So after 20 years since the original aired we're getting a new incarnation of a show that many of us grew up with. I was a big fan of the original as a kid, I'm looking forward to this reboot.

Unfortunately, not all news is good. We still have a year to go before it comes out and it's already causing drama.

http://www.avclub.com/article/powerpuff-girls-voice-actor-feels-stabbed-heart-ne-220624

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/voice-acting/powerpuff-girl-actress-on-being-shut-out-of-reboot-a-stab-in-the-heart-114006.html

Members of the original cast and crew (Like Lauren Faust, Tara Strong, Craig McCraken) aren't happy with the fact that Cartoon Network hired new voice actors and have been going on twitter posting angry and passive tweets. (Some of these tweets I'll link below)

Now, I have to say this. Seriously? This is a reboot, yes? What the hell were you expecting?! This kind of stuff happens all the time whenever there's another entry in a franchise. I mean, yes, It would have been nice if they had asked the original VAs but I'm not expecting them to go around asking every single VA from the original show. This is a new generation, it's a fresh slate. This happens all the time whenever a franchise gets another entry. It's been nearly 20 years since the original aired, this isn't a shock.

Allow me to throw in a comparison guys. As you all you all know, I'm a fan of multiple franchises. The ones I bring up mostly are Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Transformers, Spider-Man and Batman. Look at how many incarnations of those four there have been. You might get one VA back, maybe a couple more if you're lucky but you're not going to get the whole cast back. This is really nothing new. I know I bring up TMNT a lot but the comparison is fitting. When the next generation of TMNT comes out I'm not going to expect Rob Paulson, Seth Green, Sean Aston and Greg Cipes to voice the Turtles nor do I think that the original voice actors from the '87 series (Rob Paulson, Townsend Colemen, Cam Clarke and Barry Gordon) should be the only one to voice the turtles. It's the same here. You can't expect the same voice actors to voice the same characters all the time.

I think this was really immature of the original cast and crew. I expected better behavior from Tara, Lauren, Craig and everyone else partaking in this tantrum.

EDIT:  My apologies to the original cast. If it was just Tom Kenny coming back, I'd still think they'd be over-reacting but since they brought back more VAs for the supporting cast and even the VA of one the main villains, now I see the issue.

I still take issue with Lauren Faust and Craig McCraken's tweets though.

Edited by The Coffee Pony
  • Brohoof 5

If the voice actors are still in well shape, then I can understand their disappointment, but no matter what their voices have obviously evolved somewhat by now. I'm not sure if they would be able to continue to replicate the same voices for the entire series, so it was pretty obvious that they were going to be replaced, now that you mention it.

If the new VAs do the cartoon justice, no problem. I'm wary of giving this show a reboot since it's a big classic for the kids of the late 90s and earlier 00s (including me), but if it does a good enough job, I have no problem with it, though it would be nice if the voice actors could have a cameo in one of the episodes. 

• Brohoof 3

If you ask me, the issue here is that, according to one of those articles you linked here, some of the original cast, like the Narrator/Mayor, Mojo Jojo, and Ms. Keen, are gonna be in it, while, even though they are still around, kicking, and willing, people like Tara Strong weren't even asked.

I mean, if I was a voice actor who wasn't a shell of a man and loved his job and his roles, I too would feel at least a little upset that I wasn't even considered if I was still in the business and willing...

• Brohoof 3

Tara Strong's feelings of hurt/betrayal actually seem pretty understandable.

Especially hearing some of the original va's besides the big three are returning to reprise their roles. Those three were never asked to reprise the roles they clearly loved doing. It's a shame those new up and coming va's are going to be judged and critiqued harshly compared to the big three. Also, if Craig and Lauren know more details that would cause them to be upset, than it would show ill tidings for the reboot.

• Brohoof 1

If you ask me, the issue here is that, according to one of those articles you linked here, some of the original cast, like the Narrator/Mayor, Mojo Jojo, and Ms. Keen, are gonna be in it, while, even though they are still around, kicking, and willing, people like Tara Strong weren't even asked.

I mean, if I was a voice actor who wasn't a shell of a man and loved his job and his roles, I too would feel at least a little upset that I wasn't even considered if I was still in the business and willing...

My apologies to the original cast then. If it was just Tom Kenny coming back, I'd still think they'd be over-reacting but since they brought back more VAs for the supporting cast and even the VA of one the main villains, now I see the issue.

I still take issue with Lauren Faust and Craig McCraken's tweets though.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I for one think it's ridiculous Tara Strong, EG Daily, and Catherine Cavadini weren't even asked to return and were simply replaced yet the other original voice actors/actresses get to return, not that I blame them, but I do blame the new writers and producers for not even asking the original Powerpuff Girls voice actresses. I sympathize with Tara and EG and Catherine, and as for the show I might watch one episode, but if it's bad or a waste I won't continue watching it. 

PS: At least the animation doesn't look bad, it's not CGI thankfully.

Edited by MLPFanatic34
  • Brohoof 4

Yikes, new voice actors-- artificial flavored voice actors, that is. :| If the original voice actors can do the voices, then please! If they haven't changed much, oh yes please bring back the original Blossom, Bubbles, and Buttercup. I don't want new voice actors. D:

You know what I don't blame the original voice actors one bit... it's a real shame that they're trying to reboot this series and completely not even giving the original voice actors a chance. Whenever I was younger I thought the show was hilarious alongside the other great cartoons that were on at the time. It's rather disappointing they are hiring new voice actors.

Well at least there is a new DBZ series coming out ^-^ hell yeah to that.

• 1 month later...

The Powerpuff Girls special that came out after the show ended sucked. Why? Because the original creators weren't on it. PPG already hit seasonal rot even when it was still going, so why bring it back in the first place? It ended when it had to.

I don't think the reboot is going to be good. I'll still watch it with an open mind, but I don't have any high expectations for it.

And about the voice actors thing, I think their reactions are pretty understandable.

• Brohoof 1

I would consider watching this, but like a few others said it's probably gonna end up like teen titans go, and nobody needs/wants another show like that  >_>

Yeah it probably will turn out like Teen Titans Go, I miss the original Teen Titans.

• Brohoof 1

Mmh... I saw the Powerpuff Girls special in 2014(or 13) and that sucked. The animation was weird...

Totally agreed. I thought not only the plot, but the animation was extremely terrible. -_-
  • Brohoof 1

So not watching the reboot. Why? Because fricken Cartoon Network didn't bother getting the previous VAs. Before you say they were all busy, they weren't. All three of them, including Tara Strong who did Bubbles, were awfully disappointed. They weren't even ASKED to return. Sorry, but no one will ever do my Bubbles as good as Tara.

So not watching the reboot. Why? Because fricken Cartoon Network didn't bother getting the previous VAs. Before you say they were all busy, they weren't. All three of them, including Tara Strong who did Bubbles, were awfully disappointed. They weren't even ASKED to return. Sorry, but no one will ever do my Bubbles as good as Tara.

Are we certain there is not other reasons involved? And really Tara Strong and the old VAs responded VERY unprofessionally about this. I can understand being upset, but she more or less gave people a bad impression of the new cast before they were even given a chance. These are young girls who deserve a little more of a chance than they are being given. She then turns around and goes "oh, but we wish them luck" right after saying how it was a bad decision and even telling her fans they should tell CN to recast them! She behaved poorly and unprofessionally, and really I have a feeling that CN probably won't want to associate with her after this because of how poorly she behaved.

That being said we don't know why they changed the VA cast, but I can think of several legitimate reasons:

• Tara Strong is a lot more well known now and thus more famous. It may be more expensive to hire her. There is no point in making the show if they can't generate a profit.
  • CN may be wanting to give NEW TALENT A CHANCE. Considering how much new talent has revived their network with their new shows that have gained massive fanbases, CN clearly is keeping the trend going. I for one am getting sick of how people assume that "Person X is the only one for Role Y". CN clearly doesn't want that trend to continue as well.
  • Tara Strong is not going to live forever or be in business forever. CN doesn't want the characters to be typecasted as the original cast in the event they can't get them back ever. It will mean they won't be able to keep the franchise going because people will see it as "blasphemy" if they try anyone else.
  • Perhaps Tara Strong is lying? Did anyone consider that perhaps she is lying?
  • Perhaps CN and Tara Strong had some OTHER kind of fallout that caused them not to want to work with her again?
  • Perhaps there are things in her contract with other networks that she works for that prevent CN from hiring her?
  • They felt these new VAs did a better job. There is a possibility that CN heard these new VAs and felt they would be better for the role.

Before you get mad at them for not appointing the original cast, consider the possibilities and consider giving the new cast a chance.

• 4 months later...

So not one person looked into who was making it? To be fair I can't talk as I also threw it off as "another reboot". But the executive producer is Nick Jennings. This guy has worked on Hey Arnold, the old/good spongebob, angry beavers, adventure time (and others). The voice actors voice the lines. It's the writers you should be looking into. And this reboot looks like it's got some good people involved so this thing does have a chance. 

So not one person looked into who was making it? To be fair I can't talk as I also threw it off as "another reboot". But the executive producer is Nick Jennings. This guy has worked on Hey Arnold, the old/good spongebob, angry beavers, adventure time (and others). The voice actors voice the lines. It's the writers you should be looking into. And this reboot looks like it's got some good people involved so this thing does have a chance. 

I personally felt it had a great chance from the start. :3

Are we certain there is not other reasons involved? And really Tara Strong and the old VAs responded VERY unprofessionally about this. I can understand being upset, but she more or less gave people a bad impression of the new cast before they were even given a chance. These are young girls who deserve a little more of a chance than they are being given. She then turns around and goes "oh, but we wish them luck" right after saying how it was a bad decision and even telling her fans they should tell CN to recast them! She behaved poorly and unprofessionally, and really I have a feeling that CN probably won't want to associate with her after this because of how poorly she behaved.

When you heard that a new season for a show comes where you played a role for a long time you'll become enthusiastic to be casted again, but someone else got the role and you'll get disillusioned.

To be honest, I would be upset too if I'm not asked again for a role I played for a long time.