Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

College Humor - My Little Brony

Itchy Hooves

Okay, I will not be linking the video, and I don't recommend looking for it if you're a child or easily offended as it gets relatively NSFW. But for those who have seen it, I was wondering what you guys thought?

I ask this because it seems to have caused some controversy, offending some Bronies on YouTube and, unsurprisingly, erupting into a bit of a flame war between Bronies and non-Bronies.

Personally, I wasn't particularly bothered by it. because while the portrayal may not be accurate to the majority of the fandom, I feel like I can't really deny that there is a dark side to the fandom that does fit such stereotypes. My best friend had to block such a person on Fur Affinity. And while there are haters, I do feel that a majority of these jokes are directed at the crazies, not all of us. And I prefer to laugh along. Because I have seen that dark side of the fandom. And as disturbing as it is, there's really no changing it or distorting the truth of it. So the best thing to do, in my opinion, is laugh it off and say 'glad I'm not that kind of Brony'.

So yes, I actually got a few laughs out of the flash, despite how disturbing it was at points. While it does generalize, I still stand firmly by the belief that it's not intended to target us as a whole. Rather those bizarre few. And... Really anyone who can't take a joke.

Thoughts?

• Brohoof 4

I just watched it and thought it was kinda funny, and I liked that the pony toys were talking. Then again I'm a woman so I couldn't be "that kind of brony" anyways. There is probably a pegasister version of that crazy brony but whatever.

Edited by RockinRarity

It's nothing new that we as humans focus on a subgroup of people trying to render the whole group ridiculous. And it works, look at all the ones who judge before even knowing us. Humanity has been doing this since for ever and nothing will change probably that.

Edit:

I know they are doing this for laughs, and I even support that but some do sadly not understand that. If you get offended by it, that's okay but be sure to tell it in a civilized manner. Also refer to the quote in my sig.

Edited by Neikos Jubilee
  • Brohoof 5

I personally found it considerably amusing. Not too sure why anyone would get offended by this, unless it portrayed the norm or something - which, alas, it doesn't. Like Shefira said, it's comedy. Take it with a grain of salt.

• Brohoof 2

Collegehumor sucks period. I never ever laughed at any of their videos. I was like, what the fuck half the time.
  • Brohoof 4

(edited)

Well, yeah, it can be taken offensively and as an insult. And I can understand that. It's mostly just a matter of staying civil about it, as Neikos Jubilee said.

As I said, I personally found it funny because I have seen a lot of that side of the fanbase between some of the stuff on Tumblr and FurAffinity. Like the guy my friend blocked was because she had posted a G-rated picture on a G-rated account of some changes she made to her Fluttershy's hair and he had decided it was perfectly appropriate to come on to this picture and give the gritty details on what he does with his Pinkie Pie. Even worse, he continued when she had said it made her uncomfortable and asked him to leave.

But I think the thing that gets me about some of the comments on the video were just... So extreme. It really doesn't do much to prove that the fanbase is better than that when you get the ones that come in on full rage mode. If we want to be seen as mature, than I think that those of us who aren't like that need to do our best to take a joke. Even if we don't laugh at it, at least being mature about any offense we take.

Edited by Itchy Hooves
  • Brohoof 1

Eh, I didn't really like it.

I mean, I'm not offended by it or anything, but hasn't the 'Creepy Internet Nerd' Stereotype been done to death already? And the fact that the character is a brony adds so little to the short. Heck, if you just replaced Ponies in the video with Star Wars, Star Trek, or Pokemon, or something, it wouldn't really be that big of a change.

But yeah, I just found it bland, unfunny, and dumb.

Not offensive, just dumb.

• Brohoof 7

College Humor's got a history of making condescending cracks at just about every subculture you can think of... I stopped watching their videos altogether, firstly because they're never even worth sitting through the advertisements on youtube, and secondly because most of their jokes are too closed-minded and one-sided for me to appreciate.
  • Brohoof 3

I usually find their videos downright hysterical. But this one was just insulting. I expected much better. They're Siri argument video was great and much funnier than any other Siri parody I've seen. But I just hated this.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

@Tom: And that's fair enough. Finding the humor bland is a perfectly reasonable... well... Reason to not like something. Simply an opinion.

@Dozzy: See, I don't see how it's any more insulting than some of their other stuff. Like Fire_Fly said, they make fun of a lot of subcultures. Not just bronies. So basically, to find this one insulting when there have been plenty of others directed at other groups is pretty much saying "it's funny if it's directed at any fandom but my own."

And like I said before... Things like this aren't really directed at the whole group. They're directed at the people who take it to extreme levels. And you can't deny that Bronies like that exist. There's people like that in every fandom.

Now if you find it offensive, as I've said, that's acceptable. But it just... Kind of rubs me the wrong people are okay with comedy that mocks other fandoms or groups but then get offended when the same kinds of jokes are made of their own fandoms or groups. I don't think a person should laugh at other groups if they can't laugh at their own.

Edited by Itchy Hooves
  • Brohoof 2

@Tom: And that's fair enough. Finding the humor bland is a perfectly reasonable... well... Reason to not like something. Simply an opinion.

@Dozzy: See, I don't see how it's any more insulting than some of their other stuff. Like Fire_Fly said, they make fun of a lot of subcultures. Not just bronies. So basically, to find this one insulting when there have been plenty of others directed at other groups is pretty much saying "it's funny if it's directed at any fandom but my own."

And like I said before... Things like this aren't really directed at the whole group. They're directed at the people who take it to extreme levels. And you can't deny that Bronies like that exist. There's people like that in every fandom.

Now if you find it offensive, as I've said, that's acceptable. But it just... Kind of rubs me the wrong people are okay with comedy that mocks other fandoms or groups but then get offended when the same kinds of jokes are made of their own fandoms or groups. I don't think a person should laugh at other groups if they can't laugh at their own.

I originally stopped the video halfway in because I was insulted. I now watched the whole thing and I do have to say the flashlight part was funny. I personally don't remember them making fun of other fandoms. However they usually are good at making it funny for both sides. What I was trying to say was that their videos are usually funny. But I do not recall seeing them make fun of another fandom. And if they did, I don't remember them having many insulting jokes. But I do change my mind because the brony video actually made me laugh after I watched the full video.

What I'm trying to say is, I haven't seen any of their videos that made fun of another fandom. I noticed my post was kinda going in circles.

Edited by DozzyDash

(edited)

That was super creepy weird

There may be people like that but I hope they are less than 1%

It's hard to say what the percentage is. I'd like to say people like that are in the minority. But even then, it's always the extreme types that draw the most attention. Simply because they put it right out there where it is seen by everyone. Those of us who are more chill about it don't get quite as much notice, I think because we don't put ourselves out there quite as much.

In this case, it was just a joke. But there are real haters because they see the worst of the fandom through those types. But I think if the rest of us just stay cool, we can change a few minds. Maybe not the majority, but the few non-Brony friends we make might understand better that we're not all like that.

I originally stopped the video halfway in because I was insulted. I now watched the whole thing and I do have to say the flashlight part was funny. I personally don't remember them making fun of other fandoms. However they usually are good at making it funny for both sides. What I was trying to say was that their videos are usually funny. But I do not recall seeing them make fun of another fandom. And if they did, I don't remember them having many insulting jokes. But I do change my mind because the brony video actually made me laugh after I watched the full video.

What I'm trying to say is, I haven't seen any of their videos that made fun of another fandom. I noticed my post was kinda going in circles.

Well, not really saying you had to like it or even go back and watch it again. I was mostly just saying that it's not the first time college Humor had done something like it. Like I said, if someone's offended, that's fine as long as they deal with it reasonably. Just... That someone who can laugh at others should be able to laugh at themselves.

Not to be rude, just to make the point.

But if you really did enjoy it after watching the rest, that's cool, I guess.

Edited by Itchy Hooves

I don't mind the video,

my issue lies in the ignorant viewers that believe that the video is how bronies really are.

Someone on the internet once told me all bronies were like that,

their prof was cet video.

~

Edited by Shankveld
  • Brohoof 11

I don't mind the video,

my issue lies in the ignorant viewers that believe that the video is how bronies really are.

Someone on the internet was told me all bronies were like that,

their prof was cet video.

~

Yeah, people really should get to know people better before making a judgement based on a fandom. An animation intended for comedy, I can handle. But truly judgmental people, I don't like. Though I prefer to be as chill about it as I can. Taking their stupidity with a grain of salt is the best way to prove we're not like the stereotypes they're spouting, imo.
  • Brohoof 3

Thought it was hilarious. I think the only people it would truely offend would be the bronies who are like the guy in the vid.

"The most magical friendship of all..." LOL

It's a bunch of slander and lies that corporate asses like FOX are going to use to attempt to attack us again. Seriously, we're already hated; do we really need more negativity added to the stereotypes everyone thinks we live by? Because I really think we don't need that crap.

• Brohoof 1

It's a bunch of slander and lies that corporate asses like FOX are going to use to attempt to attack us again. Seriously, we're already hated; do we really need more negativity added to the stereotypes everyone thinks we live by? Because I really think we don't need that crap.

Okay, gonna be honest... This kind of attitude is one of the very things that I think makes us such a big target for ridicule. I mean for once, it was a joke, nothing serious. And secondly, College Humor linked with FOX news? Really? I highly doubt that. I mean I can understand being offended by a joke. But as was said many times before... Even a joke that offends should be taken with a grain of salt and such offense should be dealt with in a mature and reasonable manner.

To say that any of this was influenced by FOX news is... Really kind of a paranoid attitude. College Humor deals in humor. Joking and poking fun at everybody and everything. FOX deals in biased opinions that they call news and take the shit they spout seriously. Though I'd still say their 'reports' are a joke to anyone with half a brain.

Anyone spouting any hatred after watching that video probably hated us to begin with anyway. Not because they saw a silly animation on the internet, but because of their own ignorance to the fact that the average Brony is just like anybody else. Like Ezynell said, nobody takes College Humor seriously. They're comedians. And they make fun of everyone. Taking it seriously just shows how easily offended you are. And these reactions are what builds the hate. Not the jokes. If we could all just shrug it off or if we're offended, expressing it calmly and maturely without getting ragey and paranoid that it's some conspiracy against us, I guarantee we'd not come out looking near as bad.

Hell, something as big as College Humor probably has a lot of people involved. And who can say that a few of them aren't Bronies themselves? I crack Brony jokes myself, from time to time. And that's just what they are. Jokes. It's not some big conspiracy to make us look bad. It's poking some fun. And the people who do take it seriously, whether Brony or Anti-Brony, have completely missed the point.

tl;dr - By all means, if a joke offends you, be offended. But don't get ragey and paranoid about it. You just end up making yourself look just as bad if not worse than the stereotypes and give the real haters a reason to hate.

• Brohoof 2