Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you believe ponies can go to space?

Finia

(edited)

Dodging asteroids and flying to a new planet with gravity. Magic for breathing in space or something since there are no oxygen, Luna having bunch of space colonies on different planets.

What do you guys think. I bet Twilight Sparkle would love it! She works for NPSA (National Ponynautics and Space Administration)

Edited by Finia
  • Brohoof 2

I would at least assume that the Alicorns could. That and probably the better flying pegasi with special magical oxygen equipment. The Earth Ponies, if they aren't Pinkie (who can defy the laws of everything) they would probably need a rocket ship or the assistance of magic to even make it to space.

• Brohoof 2

Well I know there's been a lot of boundaries crossed on how far their technology went so I wouldn't be surprised if they are able to go to space using special equipment or with magic.

• Brohoof 1

I believe unicorns/alicorns, if they're skilled enough, could probably encase themselves in a bubble or coccoon of telekinetic energy that would make them EVA ready, and protect from burning up on atmospheric entry.  And a unicorn/alicorn that's skilled enough in telekinesis could easily fly as well.  So, my headcanon is that, if she just had the notion to try, wings or no wings, Twilight could zip on up to space like Superman any time she pleases.

Probably. They have cannons and a fuel source to fire them. It'd be crude, but Equestria could fire a pony into space. They have fireworks, so they do understand how combustion and aerodynamic design.

They do have technology for late 70's/ early 80's arcade games, which would be light years ahead of what the first Lunar module had, so they do have the ability to make a decent interface for a shuttle. 

They would have the advantage of creating artificial gravity (S3:E2), as well as shielding against radiation and outside bombardment. 

The only real issue is fuel. We haven't seen if the Equestrians have made chemical fuels like we have. They would need massive amounts of anything else to travel. Unless they know how a solar sail or propulsion via high yield explosives work, I don't see how they could get there. Sure there would be teleportation or telekinesis, but that would take it's toll over a long journey. You'd be pretty much asking one of your scientific test pilots to go out and push. 

So while very much possible, it isn't very feasible. 

• Brohoof 1

I don't believe that, and about Nightmare Moon, well the moon of the Ponyverse is certainly not the same as ours because as we can see in the comics, there are living creatures in there (forgot their name), so the moon should have oxygen and the temperature should be bearable (because I don't think anyone in the series can support a temperature going from -233 °C to 123 °C). Also, I think that moon is closer to the planet than ours, because reasons. As to how Nightmare Moon survived in space, she was probably sent in a high speed related to the power of the elements. 

As for technology... Come on, am I the only one that thinks that it's so incoherent?? Twilight in the human universe, looking at a computer: "Oh, so there is magic here!", and what do we see in the 100th episode? Vinyl using a DJ mixer never seen in our world, etc... Don't take technology in MLP seriously, the writers just say to themselves things like: "Hey, we need a phone, but they don't have that kind of.. You know what? F*** it " . 

Magic? Okay, why not if someone is skilled enough to make himself a cocoon and can create okygen... And? Magic is not unlimited, and even if it was, he would need to fly fast, and I don't think any MLP characters can fly faster than sound. For exemple, if they wanted to go to Mars with a speed of 17 km per seconds (which is a lot faster than sound, and the speed of Voyager 1 and 2), they would need 379221 days and the planet has to be at the closest distance it can be to the Earth. And please, don't tell me they can go at Light Speed, and they can't teleport to somewhere they don't know the sight of it

Sure there would be teleportation or telekinesis, but that would take it's toll over a long journey. You'd be pretty much asking one of your scientific test pilots to go out and push.

I believe it would be entirely possible to capture and stabilize raw magical energy to use as a kind of fuel or direct propellant. Magic often gets used as a form of electrical current, so it's not a huge jump. There is a potentially unlimited amount of this magical fuel available through alicorns and unicorns.

Discussion reminded me of this.  :P

medium.png

• Brohoof 2

I believe it would be entirely possible to capture and stabilize raw magical energy to use as a kind of fuel or direct propellant. Magic often gets used as a form of electrical current, so it's not a huge jump. There is a potentially unlimited amount of this magical fuel available through alicorns and unicorns.

Not exactly sure how. Sure you have artifacts to power the ship, but to get them to do as commanded needs a ponies direction, so they would still need to be effectively pulling/teleporting the ship themselves. 

How could magic be fuel? Sure you have a lot of energy to power a ship, but that in of itself isn't a fuel source. Magic may or may not be captured like electricity, but electricity isn't fuel. You don't put lots of batteries on the bottom of a shuttle and expect those to help it take off. 

And unfortunately, the show has demonstrated alicorn limitations (Celestia vs. Chrysalis, Cadence managing the crystal shield spell, Twi struggling to move the sun & moon w/ 4x magical reserve) . Even they could cave under the stress of a long voyage in the hazardous realm of space. 

You don't put lots of batteries on the bottom of a shuttle and expect those to help it take off. 

I wasn't making a specific case as to how to go about doing it. I was merely bringing up the point that magic could be captured apart from the caster and used in some way. This discussion is about highly theoretical stuff based on a universe involving magic. I'd say anything goes. And besides, using explosive fuel as the only means of escaping the atmosphere is very narrow-minded in relation to what science could later bring into the realm of possibility (i.e. anti-gravity engines). In fact, this concept has already been proven to be possible with enough energy to power it.

Well no cause I don't think space exists in the MLP verse, at least in the way we define it.  Reason being, the Sun and Moon are being controlled and given that, it seems likely Equestria is very similar to the geocentric models of the solar system from before Galileo, which usually had the universe end at Saturn.   

No and yes? They are definitely not on our level of technological advancements (but are in an odd point near it... they have medieval style housing but-I digress)

Though Celestia can banish people there... but I think for Luna it was more like she was banished into the moon... for the lack of a better term (notice how when she's banished it creates that unicorn head on the moon and when she was released it disappeared)

Dunno, I find it more likely they'd go dimension-hopping than space-travelling, Twilight already did it. Using both magic and technology, I suppose they probably could.. But hey, if they can open portals to alternate dimensions, maybe they could at some point open portals to other planets?

Dodging asteroids and flying to a new planet with gravity. Magic for breathing in space or something since there are no oxygen, Luna having bunch of space colonies on different planets.

What do you guys think. I bet Twilight Sparkle would love it! She works for NPSA (National Ponynautics and Space Administration)

that should totally be in the next season, finding friendship in space please with alien ponies  :wub:

In a world where magic is so prevalent I'd say anything is possible. Hard to say though since space is something they've really never touched on. Even Luna's time on the moon was never referred to in any relation to space I think. I'd say they'd have less of a difficult time getting into orbit then we do here, but then why bother if they can have an adventure into unknown just by traveling around their planet. There always seems to be something new to discover in Equestria, no?

It all depends on how their Universe is set up. Early in season 1 there were hints that the world wasn't their original one, and that it was near the end of a Terraforming project. (Ponies were frightened by 'natural weather' as if it was dangerous in some way, only Earth Ponies could grow food implying that 'natural plants' were all inedible, day/night cycles and season cycles were manually operated, several species that seemed to be based on a completely different metabolism (gem-eating Dragons and possibly Diamond Dogs and Cockatrice, etc.) But we don't seem to be getting those hints since them.

Space there might not be anything like ours, of course, as the laws of physics there are obviously different. So I would say, yes they could go to 'space' but it might be more like what the early Victorian idea of space travel was like, with Aether and Phlogiston and the like.

• Brohoof 1

Yes, but only through magical means as they don't have the kind of technology for the kind of space travel we are more familiar with. They traveled to the moon in the Nightmare Rarity arc in the comics.