Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Season 5 has CLEARLY been poorly planned out

Cleverclover

(edited)

Now that we know that season 5 is getting split into two halves, I just have to speak out about this. 

This is absolutely ridiculous. I don't know how the first three seasons were scheduled (season 4 was the first season I watched as it aired), but compared to how season 4 was planned out, there is a highly noticeable sloppiness in season 5's planning.  >_>

Here are four ways which show that season 5 has been poorly planned and scheduled: 

1. The 10-Month Long Hiatus. 

This one's pretty obvious. When season 4 ended, there was initially little doubt that season 5 would begin in the fall. Hasbro themselves even implied that it would begin in the fall. However, once we finally reached the season of fall, not only was season 5 nowhere to be found, but we didn't even have a release window of any kind. Eventually, season 5 was confirmed for Spring 2015, and we knew that we would probably be in for one of the longest hiatuses of the show. But as the early months of 2015 passed on, we still didn't have the slightest clue of when season 5 would begin. It wasn't until early March that we finally got the release date of April 4th. Lo and behold, the hiatus turned out to be even longer than the one between seasons 3 and 4. It was just a little short of a year. 

What I find particularly interesting about this is that the staff of DHX themselves admitted to not knowing when season 5 would begin. It was apparently all up to Hasbro. So at least we know that Hasbro is the one to blame for all of this poor scheduling. 

2. Sporadic Episode Scheduling. 

During season 4 (and possibly the previous seasons as well. Like I said, I don't know for sure), we knew about episodes that were coming as much as three, even four weeks in advance. As for this season, we have not been given the same luxury. The best example I can use is the episode that just aired last week: Amending Fences. I was curious as to whether or not there would be a new episode on the 4th of July, so I looked ahead to find out. Initially, it showed that Bloom and Gloom would be airing on July 4th in the timeslot where a new episode would normally air. So because of this, I thought there would be no new episode on the 4th. 

But then what happens? 

Out of blue, apparently less than a week before July 4th, Amending Fences is suddenly scheduled to air on that date. This was most likely a hasty decision made at the last minute. And honestly, why air a new episode on July 4th, anyway? It's not a big holiday or anything, but surely you'd have to expect that your ratings probably wouldn't be as great as they would be on a normal Saturday? 

3. Episode Delays. 

Another thing season 4 did was keep consistent airdates. Once an episode's airdate was first revealed, they actually stuck to it. Again, for this season, we haven't been given the same luxury. Case in point, Slice of Life. It was originally set to air on May 30th, and then out of nowhere, it was delayed for two weeks to June 13th. 

Not once did this happen during season 4. In fact, I was quite stunned by how season 4 aired on a consistent weekly basis, with only one break throughout the entire thing. They really made up for the 9-month hiatus we had to wait. But now, after an even longer hiatus, we once again don't have the same luxury. 

4. Confirmation of a Mid-Season Hiatus Coming at the Last Minute

And now, of course, there's this. Out of nowhere, just days before the airing of the 13th episode of the season, we now hear that the season will be split in half. This reeks of yet another decision that was made at the last minute. We should have known about this weeks ago, and had this happened with season 4, we most likely would have. It is utterly ridiculous how carelessly this season has been planned. 

I know I probably sound entitled, but the point is, I know they can do better because they have done better before. So the fact that this season has been so sloppily planned and scheduled definitely shows that there's now a significant lack of care on Hasbro's part. Perhaps it's because they no longer have The Hub and have lost their ownership of most of the network? Who knows...  :huh:

Edited by Cleverclover
  • Brohoof 21

(edited)

Can't say I disagree with anything in this post.  And I don't think it's being overly entitled to expect a large company to put out their content on schedule.  I wouldn't expect the developer of Unturned (a single college student) to put out updates quickly.  But I'd expect a regular schedule from a friggin corporation.  This mid season split is indeed total bs imo.  What the hell is that?  This show is turning into f*ckin Lost.  Remember the days when June, July, and August were reruns, and ALL NINE other months were solid new episodes of every show, no reruns ever, no expeptions?  Me neither.  But it's true.  Those days existed.  Ask your parents, fellow bronies.

Edited by Justin_Case001
  • Brohoof 3

During season 4 (and possibly the previous seasons as well. Like I said, I don't know for sure), we knew about episodes that were coming as much as three, even four weeks in advance. As for this season, we have not been given the same luxury. The best example I can use is the episode that just aired last week: Amending Fences. I was curious as to whether or not there would be a new episode on the 4th of July, so I looked ahead to find out. Initially, it showed that Bloom and Gloom would be airing on July 4th in the timeslot where a new episode would normally air. So because of this, I thought there would be no new episode on the 4th.    But then what happens?    Out of blue, apparently less than a week before July 4th, Amending Fences is suddenly scheduled to air on that date. This was most likely a hasty decision made at the last minute. And honestly, why air a new episode on July 4th, anyway? It's not a big holiday or anything, but surely you'd have to expect that your ratings probably wouldn't be as great as they would be on a normal Saturday? 

I have to respond to this by saying, you and I apparently got our information from two different places because I knew "Amending Fences," would be launched on July 4th at least a week in advance...

Another thing season 4 did was keep consistent airdates. Once an episode's airdate was first revealed, they actually stuck to it. Again, for this season, we haven't been given the same luxury. Case in point, Slice of Life. It was originally set to air on May 30th, and then out of nowhere, it was delayed for two weeks to June 13th.    Not once did this happen during season 4. In fact, I was quite stunned by how season 4 aired on a consistent weekly basis, with only one break throughout the entire thing. They really made up for the 9-month hiatus we had to wait. But now, after an even longer hiatus, we once again don't have the same luxury. 

With this, I don't really care about delays and neither should you. In the end it is the same length, 26 episodes. 572 minutes of Ponies. Just more time in between weeks and I'm fine with this as I'm a fairly patient person. 

Slice of Life was a quality episode as well, or for what quality could be. 

And now, of course, there's this. Out of nowhere, just days before the airing of the 13th episode of the s

eason, we now hear that the season will be split in half. This reeks of yet another decision that was made at the last minute. We should have known about this weeks ago, and had this happened with season 4, we most likely would have. It is utterly ridiculous how carelessly this season has been planned.   

I'm pretty sure the season 6 thing was probably some sort of troll. Knowing Hasbro... then again knowing Hasbro it could just be dim wittedness as well as poor communication.

Also, they announced Season 5 would be split in half not too long ago, this isn't necessarily a shocker... TV shows do it all the time. 

(edited)

I wonder just how much of this was due to the fact from the switch from HUB network to Discovery Family

We could add that reason to why Season 5 has been in a schedule and ratings rut. The scheduling of this season has been a colossal mess. FIM is the channel's flagship show; there's no good reason to disrespect the viewers by scheduling the show so sloppily.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 12

(edited)

We could add that reason to why Season 5 has been in a schedule and ratings rut. The scheduling of this season has been a colossal mess. FIM is the channel's flagship show; there's no good reason to disrespect the viewers by scheduling the show so sloppily.

Discovery Family has definetly not given Hasbro's shows the respect they deserve

They've practically single handedly killed this off

Edited by Argumedies

I have to respond to this by saying, you and I apparently got our information from two different places because I knew "Amending Fences," would be launched on July 4th at least a week in advance...

Well, to be fair, I think it was changed about 5 or 6 days beforehand, at least close to a week. But either way, it clearly shows that they have not been properly planning exactly when episodes will air.  

Also, they announced Season 5 would be split in half not too long ago, this isn't necessarily a shocker...

Then why, pray tell, did we not know about that until now? It was only ever fan speculation that the season would be split in half. It was never actually announced until now.   

Well, to be fair, I think it was changed about 5 or 6 days beforehand, at least close to a week. But either way, it clearly shows that they have not been properly planning exactly when episodes will air.    

Admitedly, yeah. Timing, not perfected.

Then why, pray tell, did we not know about that until now? It was only ever fan speculation that the season would be split in half. It was never actually announced until now.   

You're asking me to answer an objective question with a subjective viewpoint. I can't tell you why. I just said it wasn't a shocker and it was pretty well known because of the speculation and the implicators. If you want a real credible, reliable answer then ask Hasbro.

I'm just letting you know, it was fairly simple, for me at least. To put together the pieces to come to the conclusion. 

Has anyone asked DHX how far ahead in episodes they currently are? Maybe there's been production issues or scheduling conflicts with the VAs that have caused these schedule slips?

I'm not fretting over this. I'd want an episode to come out later if it's a better product rather than having something rushed.

Maybe they saw the positive response to Amending Fences and decided to give the remaining scripts a once-over to see if some of that kind of theme can be better captured?

Just speculatin....  :kindness:

• Brohoof 1

What do you mean by split in half? Does that mean there will be a long hiatus at one point where the second half will start afterwards? That's honestly pretty stupid. Gravity Falls did the same thing except it wasn't cut in half, but the season has gone on one hell of a hiatus :(

I'm not fretting over this. I'd want an episode to come out later if it's a better product rather than having something rushed.

Wouldn't all the episodes have been completed some time prior to the airing of the premiere?

This season has indeed been planned out very poorly.

The reason why that Season 5 was planned poorly was because of Discovery. Announcing a hiatus at the last minute is like doing a school assignment the day before it's due. We would have known about it earlier if Hasbro decided to move MLP and their other shows to Cartoon Network or Disney XD.

• Brohoof 1

Discovery are anti bronies trying to get rid of the entire fandom, and they are succeeding.

:blink:

Why do you think that's the case? Do you have any evidence that what you say is true?

Discovery are anti bronies trying to get rid of the entire fandom, and they are succeeding.

[citation needed]

Seriously, where's proof of any of this? This is just Discovery and/or Hasbro being sloppy, not proof of an anti-brony conspiracy. Remove thy tinfoil hat, sir! I don't see why they would try and kill off MLP, this just seems counter-productive as the parties involved would just lose money on this.

For once, I actually have to agree on Clover on this issue, the airing schedule for the show is just horrendous! I can actually compare it to the current third season of TMNT!

• Brohoof 6

Although I agree with the majority of these posts. I don't really mind waiting honestly but that's just me though. Although it does make me wonder if this is some indication that they are trying to dissolve the show out. From reading some past threads has me rather intrigued.