Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How Open Are You With Your Faith?

Soctavia

(edited)

There are two topics which will either end in one of the best discussions you've ever had, or one of the largest shitstorms you've ever taken part in, with nothing in between.

Those two topics are religion and politics.

Personally, I like to avoid conflict, so I only really talk about religion if someone else brings it up. However, if I've known someone long enough and I know they aren't the type to start an argument over it, I'll inquire about their religion for no other reason than curiosity, (I have an interest in the lore of all religions, I just find it interesting). And of course, there are a few people I can joke about religion with as well :P I have a Wiccan friend that we randomly go back and fourth with "My God can beat up your goddesses" "Pfff, are you kidding? My GODS can beat up your God, nonetheless the goddesses!" "My God is a tag-team wrestling team. Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, He'd wipe the floor with all of them!" "Yeah, well your God doesn't make FREAKING MAGIC!"

... and so on and so fourth

I hope I'm one of those people you can discuss it with. Last time we talked about faith it was quite a pleasant exchange if memory recalls.

(I still go to church sometimes, but it's mostly for guidance in my life/how to be a better person in general than worshipping God)

You act as if those are two separate things.  ;)

@@Tao,

My former girlfriend was a Wiccan. I know they are always the same thing but we loved to talk about it. 

Edited by Steel Accord

I am a Catholic and I am very open to my faith. But I would be scared to tell certain protestant faiths about confession because most protestant faiths just pray to god for forgiveness. I know that works, but not always.

• Brohoof 1

I'm an atheist and secular humanist and I think I'm fairly open with my faith. I kind of enjoy it when someone wants to talk to me in person about this kind of stuff without trying to indoctrinate me. It's very rare, but I'm more than happy to divulge what I believe in, why I believe in what I believe and how I got to where I am now.

• Brohoof 2

Depending whom I'm talking to, I would keep it at a low-profile.

However, if I feel that I want to share something about it, I will not hesitate to do so. As that is my mission as a Christian (all Christians have this mission/commitment, no matter which church/denomination they are affiliated with) to share my faith with others and explain why you cannot live without it, why does it matter, what will I gain from this, etc.

If people disagree with me, I will respect their stance at it and not argue with it any further because potentially, leading arguments will not solve anything. They will get you nowhere. It's always best to explain things in a calm state and not freak out against others who may disagree with you because they fail or don't even care to realize your side of things in life.

Everyone has their own life to live, so be it.

If you have come to the conclusion that there is a purpose with accepting Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and Saviour, Praise the Lord God Almighty Jehovah.

If you do not believe in that (for many reasons we all have), that is completely fine and up to you to decide what you want to do with your life. I won't be the judge of that, so you shouldn't either.

• Brohoof 3

I don't mention it if there's no need for it, but if the subject comes up I'm rather open about it. I come from a protestant and atheist-dominant area so I was kinda surprised with how many Catholics there are. Feels nice

• Brohoof 1

I was raised Catholic and i still go to Church to please my family, but don't take it too seriously. My faith is quite jumbled and is more akin to Buddhist thought, i don't really talk about it too much.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I don't mention it if there's no need for it, but if the subject comes up I'm rather open about it. I come from a protestant and atheist-dominant area so I was kinda surprised with how many Catholics there are. Feels nice

Represent!

I was raised Catholic and i still go to Church to please my family, but don't take it too seriously. My faith is quite jumbled and is more akin to Buddhist thought, i don't really talk about it too much.

Good to see you on the Forums, my friend. Yeah it's nice to have a religious connection between us.  :)

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 1

I was saying that if you don't believe in God, do you openly share that with others or do you keep it a secret? 

Well, if you LITERALLY shouted: "PRAISE JESUS" at random times to random people, that could be a weird.  :derp:

No, I'm very open about my atheism and I'm proud of it.

Yes, I am open. I don't hide it, but I am not obnoxious about it and I don't go around trying to convert people. I just strive to be a good example, all my real life friends know that I am Catholic even though I never directly stated it to most of them.

• Brohoof 1

I'm open about my not-faith in the Christian god.  And my not-faith in other gods (Greek, Nordic, what have you) could probably be guessed at by most.  In the places I have lived, people are sometimes aghast when they learn that you don't believe in god.  Even people who weren't openly religious (and might even have given someone flack for being such) were still against you.  But I first revealed how I felt on the matter roughly 19 years ago.  I don't doubt that I'm still in the minority.

I do have faith, however, in those that I love most.  In particular, my ladylove from the sky.

(edited)
Even people who weren't openly religious (and might even have given someone flack for being such) were still against you.

I truly don't understand how that works. Shouldn't they have been on your side?

I do have faith, however, in those that I love most.  In particular, my ladylove from the sky.

That's not faith?

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck . . .

(We can continue this on PM if you do not wish to derail. I believe are old channel is still there.)

Edited by Steel Accord

I truly don't understand how that works. Shouldn't they have been on your side?

That's not faith?

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck . . .

(We can continue this on PM if you do not wish to derail. I believe are old channel is still there.)

When I was in school, even some of the kids who believed in god thought it uncool to fold your hands in prayer.  So while they would jump on the bandwagon to mock openly religious students, they would fight you on your claim of god's nonexistence once you opened your mouth about it.  I wouldn't be surprised if this sort of nonsense still goes on; not all of a religious individual's opponents are atheists.

I went to the trouble in my first post of wording things thusly: Not-faith in the Christian god.  I admitted I have faith, but it is not faith in him or in other popular deities.

• Brohoof 1

How open?  Its not a big issue with me.  I am not religious in any way nor am I severely atheist.  The concept of religion I find silly and the concept of strong atheism I also find silly.  I am simply irreligious, I dont care really so if someone asks Ill say I dont have religion but I never make a point of notfying people to it.

Thus, I am not open about it.  If you ask Ill say so and we can have a discussion but I wont make an issue about unless someone else does

People tend to figure it out when I start rapidly rattling off quotes from both the Old and New Testaments that relate to things that they bring up in conversation.

So how many parties do you get invited to?

So how many parties do you get invited to?

About two a year. People often describe me as the life of the party, as I often end up having at least a short conversation with just about everyone.

• Brohoof 1

I'm not very open about my religious beliefs, unfortunately. As someone of a different faith than that which is most common in the US, someone of a very uncommon faith in fact, I worry that people will judge me for what I believe in. I have talked about it a bit in other threads here, and if someone brings it up I might be willing to discuss it a bit, but very few know all the ins and outs of my faith, if anyone really.

I don't have a church like Christians, so there isn't really a space for me to experience my faith with others. My family has no idea and thinks I'm still Christian, I think they'd be angry if they knew the truth. Being more or less a Pagan and finding my own religious path is not a common choice, but I do think I'm a better person for it. I suppose I am proud of that, beneath my fear of judgment from others.

Well if it means anything, in my part of these wonderful United States, most treat paganism with a shrug and a smile, myself included. (Long time no see, by the way.)

About two a year. People often describe me as the life of the party, as I often end up having at least a short conversation with just about everyone.

I'm kind of the opposite. I bounce around and talk to people, but then I usually have to recuse myself to catch my breath for a bit. Little bit off topic but does anypony besides me find this happening to them? Like they don't mind large social events, but sometimes they need to run off and be by themselves just to "cool down" so to speak?

Well if it means anything, in my part of these wonderful United States, most treat paganism with a shrug and a smile, myself included. (Long time no see, by the way.)

I'm kind of the opposite. I bounce around and talk to people, but then I usually have to recuse myself to catch my breath for a bit. Little bit off topic but does anypony besides me find this happening to them? Like they don't mind large social events, but sometimes they need to run off and be by themselves just to "cool down" so to speak?

To be fair, most of my time is spent in such a cool-down. Once I'm at an occasion though, I tend to last the night.

• Brohoof 1

To be fair, most of my time is spent in such a cool-down. Once I'm at an occasion though, I tend to last the night.

You still sound more extraverted than me. Not knocking you or anything, I am just observing the differences.

(edited)

I'm open, but not pushy. At least, I hope not!! I'll talk about my Dad (yes, I know some people may find that term uncomfortable, if it does, no offense intended) to pretty much anyone, and if they're not interested, I'll change the subject. I'm the kind of person that, if it comes up in conversation, could talk about Him all day though, just to warn you :D My friends, family and work all know about my faith and I'll always offer up prayer in any situation. Incidentally, I'm always happy to lend an ear or a hug or anything like that, so if anyone ever needs to talk, just send me a pm or add me on Skype!!

Ps. HI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D

Edited by starshine wonder
  • Brohoof 2

I am more of the introvert type. I usually prefer to spend time with myself, but I can relate with other people when needed. Normally I don't like big social events.

• Brohoof 2

I'm open, but not pushy. At least, I hope not!! I'll talk about my Dad (yes, I know some people may find that term uncomfortable, if it does, no offense intended)

I, actually kind of like that. That's very charming. :) 

I always think the Divine is better viewed as a loving presence than the Sword of Damocles.