Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The five types of bronies...

Harshreality

After analysing ALL FANS of the show, I think I can confidently say the five main groups in the fandom. Keep in mind this is by no means comprehensive, and the fandom is full of varied people.

1) Just fans.... These are your average fans. Nothing bad, nothing unusual. They watch the show, enjoy it and express their enjoyment. They may buy small amounts of merch, watch fan creations or simply keep their passion secret.

This is the largest group of all.

2) Content creators... These are the creative and productive bronies. Their love manifests itself not by consuming fan content, but by producing it. These are the second smallest group, but many of its members become the most famous amongst fans. People like Saberspark and KP fit here.

3) The intended ones... It could be argued that these people do not qualify as bronies, as they are within the target demographic. But if they love the show enough to make it to cons etc... Then I think they should be included. As children, they watch the show as it is intended. They may also consume small amounts of fan content.

The second largest group.

4) The helpful fans... The middle group in terms of numbers and presence. These are people that love the show but do not produce content, yet still play an important part in the fandom. These are those that organise and help cons, are forum admins etc... Without them, the fandom simply could not function.

5) The radical superfans.... These are the fans that take their love to another levels, almost turning it into a lifestyle of sorts. These are the most likely to display the negative characteristics of bronies, and so the "stereotypical" bronies used to discredit the fandom by haters. By far the most avoided and loathed group, they are likely to be the longest lasting fans of all. Their love is questionable at times, and can be off-putting.

They are the smallest group.

So do you think I got it right? Which group do you fit into? Tell me below!

• Brohoof 6

I think there is possibly another type:

The changed/reformed bronies- these fans may not have even started as fans, but end up giving it a chance for one reason or another. They find a lot of the messages speak to them and can relate to a lot of the characters and situations. This causes them to be fans, and be thankful for such a show that speaks to them and turns their life into something positive.

• Brohoof 7

5) The radical superfans.... These are the fans that take their love to another levels, almost turning it into a lifestyle of sorts. These are the most likely to display the negative characteristics of bronies, and so the "stereotypical" bronies used to discredit the fandom by haters. By far the most avoided and loathed group, they are likely to be the longest lasting fans of all. Their love is questionable at times, and can be off-putting.

So do you think I got it right? Which group do you fit into? Tell me below!

I think number 5 is unfair and lob-sided, they just have a different section of the fandom of which they enjoy. The other 4 also have their reasons for enjoying the show and so should number 5. Just because they're different doesn't meant they should be mistreated, a bit like telling black people in America to go back to slaving since they're different.

• Brohoof 2

I guess I would kinda consider myself as a radical superfan of sorts. :fluttershy: Though I don't try to be that "stereotypical" and spout off to everyone about my love for the ponies......... Usually... -3-

I would also probably say I'm a content creator (kinda) on the side... I mean, I do art and drawings of ponies and all... :catface:

(edited)

I think under #5 there is a subgroup that is the black sheep of the fandom that were bottle-fed Mercury as children.

These are the Cringeworthy types of bronies that create the disgusting and sometimes the most laughed at content on the Internet. They tend to create the weird as hell fetishes on Deviantart, and the absolute most un-ironically twisted fan fictions on probably the entire internet. They are the ones who paint and torture their pets into their favorite colorful horses, or clop themselves to death on their collection of pony sex dolls. They are perhaps clones of Chris-Chan.

I mean I am sure as hell exaggerating on some examples, but you know who these kinds of people are. They are one of the big reasons why there are people who hate bronies.

Edited by Mr. Blue
  • Brohoof 3

I'm a bronie because i love the show and the fan base crated around it i was skeptical at first but after i got into it the more i enjoyed and the more i wanted to show it 

yes there are always going to be people out there that may not like some stuff you do but that shouldn't stop you, you are YOU that is what makes you special you're entitled to what ever you want to for that is why i don't judge anypony 

• Brohoof 4

I think you didn't get it right on the basis that there are actually more than five types of fans, and plus, the radical super-fans are the most shamed but have the best reputation by being the spirit of the fandom. However, I would like to add another type of brony that is known to create such negative reputation. That type is the NSFW/dark-side of all fandoms. These are the type of bronies who perpetuate the negative stereotype that "all bronies are child predators." 

Now that aside, if I had to pick out of the 5 types, I would go for the content creators. 

• Brohoof 1

There is the content locust.  People who have read 50 million + words of fanfiction, read a bunch of tumblrs, watch the comics and other drawfriends, etc. 

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I'm categorized under content creator.

Some other things I would like to add:

Bronies:

Very broad term referring to all fans of MLPFIM; whether an individual would label themselves as one is irrelevant.

Minimum Bronies:

They tend to engage very little outside of or including watching the show.

Paradox Bronies:

Bronies who appear to hate the show more than they love it.

Early Seasons Bronies:

Bronies who claim only the early seasons were great and that the series degraded after that point.

Rabid Bronies:

Zealous Bronies who extremely sensitive and tend to over-react to those who criticize Bronies regardless of whether such criticism is legitimate. They may also attempt to force others to watch MLPFIM.

Edited by Tsaritsa Luna
  • Brohoof 6

I mostly categorize myself in the standard fan group, though slightly above that. I am not much of content creator because I have no talents or skills whatsoever but I am pretty obsessed with the show and I have bought tons of merch, haven't bought much in a while though. Since it seems many bronies are talented, I throw myself in a personal 'talentless bronies' grouping.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

It's so much easier to say that group 5 is the smallest, isn't it?

Anyway, I like to believe i'm in group number 1, but I could just as easily be in group 5 without realizing it. I've been watching the show since 2011 after all. Now here I am four years later on MLPForums, with MLP being my 4th favourite cartoon.

Edited by SpaceOnion
  • Brohoof 1

If you can call Tweeting creating content then I'd be a creator, a small one at least. Also being on staff here might put me into the helpful bronies category. If neither of them are relevant enough then I guess I'd be just a normal fan. 

• Brohoof 1

It's a way to see it...

I'm in the first group, "just a fan".

"Just fans" is definitely not the largest group.

It's either this one or the 3rd group "intended ones".
  • Brohoof 1

I fit more in the first group; I don't really make or help with anything, and though I rarely have any problems with the show, I don't love it to the extent that the 'radical superfans' do.

• Brohoof 1

Didn't you forget the "Elitist Brony Assholes"?

Remember: they're always better at being a "brony" than you are.

Wouldn't number 1 not be a brony then? Just a fan? The title "brony" is more of a dedicated fan title.