Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Horns

Pizzly

what are unicorn and alicorn horns made of is it bone or a tooth and if it is a tooth like a narwhal then does that mean that all unicorns and the princesses have modified teeth going through their brains? (shudder)

I would have thought that the horn is made of bone. Perhaps with some form of magical nerve or organ running through it thus giving the unicorn the ability to perform magic just through their horn. I have honestly never really thought about it but they look too...sturdy to be made of anything but bone. I wouldn't classify horns as modified teeth, such would be saying that our fingernails are modified teeth.

However, the real question that is getting to me is how ponies hold things. Now that is a mystery, rapped in an enigma, rapped in a conundrum.

• Brohoof 1

If anything it most likely will be a carbon based substance, so anything from Bone to Tooth to Dead accumulative skin cells in the ballpark.

And it wouldn't necessarily be coming out from the brain, it would be affixed to the skull and acts as a protrusion, or even an extension of the skin like how our nails grow, but I don't think it would be a like our nails because so far from the show they don't mention anything about having to trim their horn if it gets too large, and just about every unicorn in their respective age group have a certain sized horn.

• Brohoof 1

I would say bone, but I had to google it so I found this:

What is a unicorn's horn made of?

Bone? Something else?

_

Brent Finley

Generally, a Unicorn horn is initially made of a cellulose fiber mixture and graphite. Then, depending upon the unicorn, layers are added of one or more of the following items: Clays, calcium carbonate, mica, silicas, and talcs. These items are held in suspension with a binder, commonly referred to as a vehicle, and are responsible for the color(s), toughness and texture of the horn.

Edited by Jokuc
  • Brohoof 2

It can't be bone...remember how Twilight's horn flopped when she touched the poison joke? If bones flopped like that, I'd be concerned...

From what I remember in school, all animals horns are formed from the same substance (keratin? a-keratin?) that forms hair, claws, and nails (possibly hooves? correct me if I'm wrong...).

So, I'm going to assume that it's just a naturally growing part of the unicorn just like goats, rhinos, deer, etc have their respective horns.

But since MLP unicorns have horns matching their hair colour (and I say hair because horses don't have fur. It's a completely different kind of hair altogether, and it is not fur) that maybe a skin grows over it?

It can't be bone...remember how Twilight's horn flopped when she touched the poison joke? If bones flopped like that, I'd be concerned...

I believe those plants had magical attributes to them thus being able to make her horn flop.

I would assume they would be similar to deer antlers.

• Brohoof 1

Hmm... Though it may not be the best place to take the analysis... I got some ideas from this grimdark photo once. The horn is a bone, but blood does flow through veins(or whatever is inside bones) in order to be able to transfer magic to it. That's just an idea I saw though.

I like to think that ponies are made of candy, thus their horns are some kind of hard candy, possibly peppermint. What? I'm serious.

You sir, gave me one more reason to hunt for unicorn. lol

what are unicorn and alicorn horns made of is it bone or a tooth and if it is a tooth like a narwhal then does that mean that all unicorns and the princesses have modified teeth going through their brains? (shudder)

The horn is actually made of a substance called Alicorn. The word 'Alicorn' is often thought to be the name of winged Unicorns, but that is a misconception among the MLP boards (winged Unicorns have no official name). I don't remember the specifics, but mythologically speaking, it's the Alicorn substance that gives Unicorns their magic.

Edited by SBaby

It could be a hardened cartilage, similar to what sharks so-called skeletal structure is made up of rather than bone.