Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

rainbow rocks Does the future of MLP:FIM rest with Equestria Girls?

Fluttershyponygal

Well to figure this out, we need to weigh the pros and cons of each show. Lets start with the show we all know and love:

250px-My_Little_Pony_Friendship_is_Magic

Pros:

• Has a vast world of fantasy,magic, and adventure
  • The episodes are well written
  • Has a cast of characters with at least one we can relate to in one way or another
  • The animation is nicely done and well animated.
  • Scootaloo is in it(Okay,okay! That's not a real pro...for you guys!)

Cons:

• The characters will always be limited to their world(Though this could be a pro if you look at it from a certain standpoint...)
  • The show will always be about the Mane six.

Yesh...I struggled to find anything wrong...oi

and now...

logo_brand.png

Pros:

• The setting takes place in a world much like our own
  • We still have our same loveable characters, only human
  • It opens the possiblities for friendship problems and/or problems that may only occur in a human world situation.
  • A new world to experince

Cons:

• They. Are. Not. Ponies.
  • Much of the fantasy and lore we know from MLP:FIM can't work in this universe.
  • The majority of the show takes place in a sterotypical highschool setting which greatly limits the amount of adventure we can have with our favorite characters.
  • Flash SentryTrollface-small-normal2pl7-1.png

So now that we have the pros and cons on the table, can the future of MLP:FIM really rest in EQG?

At the moment, No.

EQG is simply too young to hand over a huge legacy such as the MLP franchise over to. We don't have enough to go on but maybe, just maybe...one day it will have the potential to carry on and we love it just as much.

But what do you think? Do you think Equestria Girls is worthy of taking on the MLP franchise NOW?

Or are you like me and really don't think its ready?

Or maybe you just own right are aginst the idea all together?

DISCUSS! :ph34r:

• Brohoof 2

From a financial point-of-view, them not being ponies is a big pro. The little girls watching and buying the toys will inevitably grow up, and there will come a point in their lives where ponies stop being a "thing" to fantasize about. That is why you see stuff like Monster High more popular with teenagers and the like, as it's more relatable to that point in their lives(middle school, high school, etc).

As much as I hate so say it, Hasbro is run on the success of their toys, and I feel Equestria Girls has a better reach in regard to a growing demographic, as well as the target one for FiM(and you have to admit after 5 years must be getting pretty old by now)

And I disagree when you say much of the fantasy can't work, as more and more magic from equestria is pushing through into the human world(to the point where it seems to be a huge plot point in Friendship Games.) It's the same as saying fantasy can't work in Persona 4, because that is set in a generic world :P

Edited by Ickery
  • Brohoof 3

For now, no, but in two years at least, EG might take over FIM, and if G5 inevitably comes, EG will probably be still around. The thing is, the target audience will grow, and will focus their interests in HS settings

• Brohoof 1

Ickery brings up a very good point in regards to the age of the target consumer. Equestria Girls does have a certain appeal and while the first movie was a bit too cliche; the second would have really won me over at that age.

In any case it will be the toys that tell the story to Hasbro.

I can see EQG lasting a bit longer due to having more to explore and for being released as movies rather than a full-fledged TV show like FiM. But I'd still say it's hard to tell

I don't think EqG will take over FiM, unless maybe bronies stopped watching the show and it was just little kids.  

Is it just me or am I the only one that thinks Equestria Girls is mediocre at best?  Especially with the songs?  That's the biggest reason why I think FiM would last a lot longer than EqG.

• Brohoof 2

I don't think EqG will take over FiM, unless maybe bronies stopped watching the show and it was just little kids.  

Is it just me or am I the only one that thinks Equestria Girls is mediocre at best?  Especially with the songs?  That's the biggest reason why I think FiM would last a lot longer than EqG.

On the contrary, Pop and Rock are the music genres with widest appeal. and EqG pretty much owns the former to a "T" in this relation.

I would say it plays a key part for the future of MLP, but I would not say the future solely lies with Equestria Girls.  I think the MLPFIM movie in 2017 may be a bigger factor in all of this but as long as Hasbro can keep on selling toys I can see Equestria Girls staying around perhaps even outlasting MLPFIM until G5 as the concept of it seemingly appeals to its aging primary core demographic.

Edited by UnknownFry

That the episodes are well written is debatable. Celestia still hasn't done anything except be in peril and need Twilight to do her job for her. Derpy has been so flanderized that they even renamed her after her flanderization focus. Most, if not all major villains after Chrysalis had little motivation, yes, even Tirek, after acquiring the magic, then what? Why, even Discord was defeated with no resistance and just sat there while he got shot by the McGuffin ray of Friendship, like all the other villains. Remember when The Crystal Empire implied Twilight passing a test was more important than the lives of an entire civilization?

People mentioning that there is little they can do with the "Human World" setting, you seem to forget that this is fiction and they can pretty much do whatever they want with it. The big spoiler at the end of Friendship Games and the implications of the title of the fourth movie imply they're going the "Human World Magic" route, so there is magic related stuff they can do with the setting as well. Expect Hydia and possibly The Smooze and possibly Grogar to appear in Equestria Girls in the future.

Edited by Evil_Emperor