Why do minivans have a bad rap?

'Rainbow Dash'

Minivan  

10 users have voted

1. 1. Which is the best minivan

• 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan
    • 2011 Toyota Sienna
    • 2011 Honda Odyssey

I was browsing the internet and I noticed a lot of people hate minivans for some reasons. I think they're REALLY cool for one reason: LUXURY!

Yes, minivans are one of the most luxurious cars ever. In that matter, I love the 2011 Toyota Sienna and 2012 Honda Odyssey.

Posted Image

But my heart goes out to the Dodge Grand Caravan. Because my mom used to have one from 1996, and it has a nostalgic feel to me.

Posted Image

So, why all the hate on minivans, people? Please explain.

I don't hate mini vans. Pretty good if you need a lot of trunk space, family, or a bunch of friends.

Mini vans are forever linked to the stereotype of "soccer moms" as in mothers who are overly-protective of their children and will raise a fuss about little, unimportant things, like violence in video games, or political correctness, or anything that isn't really that big an issue.

• Brohoof 3

Ford Windstar is where it's at, too bad they don't produce these anymore, But then the there have been problems with the rear axle, so I prefer the Toyota Sienna since I've ridden in them

Posted Image

Edited by Narutardedscum

Mini vans are forever linked to the stereotype of "soccer moms" as in mothers who are overly-protective of their children and will raise a fuss about little, unimportant things, like violence in video games, or political correctness, or anything that isn't really that big an issue.

I don't find that stereotype true AT ALL! There a lot of minivan choices a dad can drive without feeling like a mom.

Ford Windstar is where it's at, too bad they don't produce these anymore, But then the there have been problems with the rear axle, so I prefer the Toyota Sienna since I've ridden in them

Posted Image

Maybe there's a good reason they don't produce Windstars anymore. I wrote a letter to Ford once asking if they can revive The Ford Windstar and make new versions of it with MyFord Touch and all that, but they never wrote back.

So, yeah, there must be a good reason they don't make Windstars anymore.

I guess another reason why they get a bad rap is that they're just not considered a "cool" car to drive if you're young.

My parents have a 2011 Chrysler Town & Country and they love it. We use it for hauling items and products for our businesses, not for children lol although it comes in handy for road trips and if we're watching my cousins.

My family has owned minivans my whole life, so it's what I'm used to, they're comfortable and I like driving them better than little, dinky cars! Plus, they carry a ton! But of course, they still have the 'loser cruiser' reputation because they're mostly seen as family cars, and not something like a convertible...or something...Honestly I don't know what's 'cool' when it comes to cars, even... ._.

• Brohoof 1

Why do minivans have a bad rap?

hey now, everybody, now ain't that a little low

cause with a van like this betcha y'all go with the flow

hey sure, it might not be fast enough all the time

but it sure is swell enough to make this rapping go RHYME

I gotta say... dat Honda. My family owns a 2001 Honda Odessey, and even with the dent in the back, it's brilliant. I love it. Until I got lazy, I used to drive it...

hey now, everybody, now ain't that a little low

cause with a van like this betcha y'all go with the flow

hey sure, it might not be fast enough all the time

but it sure is swell enough to make this rapping go RHYME

That reminded me of this video, totally appropriate for this thread: :D

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql-N3F1FhW4

My family has owned one for as long as I can remember, both of them were Ford Windstars. Very comfortable vehicles, we used them to go anywhere that was over an hours' drive away. Especially for use on vacations, for their immense stowing capacity. Not many other types of cars can store that amount.

Since I like the idea of cars having function over form, a minivan is something I see as a utility, it can do whatever is needed. A workhorse of anyone's daily life, especially if you transport large objects often.

• Brohoof 1

Maybe there's a good reason they don't produce Windstars anymore. I wrote a letter to Ford once asking if they can revive The Ford Windstar and make new versions of it with MyFord Touch and all that, but they never wrote back.

So, yeah, there must be a good reason they don't make Windstars anymore.

They stopped producing the Windstar in 2003, the recalls happened in 2010, the problem was that the rear axle would break into two due to rust

Edited by Narutardedscum

And what about

My family has owned one for as long as I can remember, both of them were Ford Windstars. Very comfortable vehicles, we used them to go anywhere that was over an hours' drive away. Especially for use on vacations, for their immense stowing capacity. Not many other types of cars can store that amount.

Since I like the idea of cars having function over form, a minivan is something I see as a utility, it can do whatever is needed. A workhorse of anyone's daily life, especially if you transport large objects often.

I agree 100%

My family has only had one minivan before: A 1993 Plymouth Voyager that my uncle gave to us for free (I think we had it in '03, making it 10 years old at the time)

I HATED that van... It stunk, and it was an ugly green color. My dad liked it though, because he could fit all of his crap in it. It broke down on him when he was 100+ miles away from home though, which was terribly inconvenient

The closest thing to a minivan we have owned ever since is a PT Cruiser (aka PT Loser)

I don't really care for them either way, however... I don't think I would drive one, though

I enjoy a good minivan, but I admit that I prefer the sportiness of a smaller vehicle to a minivan (if I am the one driving). If I am not the one driving I much more enjoy the open space and luxury the minivan affords. :P

I enjoy a good minivan, but I admit that I prefer the sportiness of a smaller vehicle to a minivan (if I am the one driving). If I am not the one driving I much more enjoy the open space and luxury the minivan affords. :P

That's what I like about minivans too. Space and luxury.

How does this go under life advice? Is this hatred of minivans causing you emotional stress? ._.

But, to be honest, I don't hate minivans. In fact, the larger tha car the better for me, actually.

No. I just don

How does this go under life advice? Is this hatred of minivans causing you emotional stress? ._.

No. I just don't know where else to put it.

My family has owned minivans my whole life, so it's what I'm used to, they're comfortable and I like driving them better than little, dinky cars! Plus, they carry a ton! But of course, they still have the 'loser cruiser' reputation because they're mostly seen as family cars, and not something like a convertible...or something...Honestly I don't know what's 'cool' when it comes to cars, even... ._.

Yeah. I guess.

:|

Minibusses and anything like that scares me...

I'v learned that in south africa the taxis (they use minibusses here) are a very bad thing. That's mostly because of my skin colour though. You... see newspaper articles about gang wars, zimbabwaens being burned in the streets y'know stuff like that.

They would probably tear me apart if i got in one with them, or maybe just shoot me, where there is always room for one more, even if there are already over 40 in a 20 passenger vehicle.

And the police are less than useless, they spend more time dealing drugs, drowning in bars and taking bribes than they spend even pretending to be patrols

They still are the typical soccer mom/ old people car thats the reason for the rep. i drive one sometimes whenever i need to haul stuff that wont fit in my mustang and isnt really heavy enough to waste gas with the truck. Still feel a little lame driving them. But that being said every car has good and bad raps with different groups i cant think of a single car everyone likes. As long as it gets you from A to B and you like it thats all that matters!

personally if i have to haul people and stuff around in the future ill buy me a nice 60's station wagon with a big v8 :wub:

Xfizzle brought it up great. I think minivans are great. My Mom drives a 2002 Chrysler Town & Country LXI. It has leather seats (:D), and for a ten year old car, its in good condition!