Why do minivans have a bad rap?

'Rainbow Dash'

Minivan  

10 users have voted

1. 1. Which is the best minivan

• 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan
    • 2011 Toyota Sienna
    • 2011 Honda Odyssey

Maybe because they're not all swagga wagons.

And plus, vans have no mouths so they are incapable of rapping.

Last year, in the 1st grade, I had a friend who was a van. I tried rapping with him but he could not rap.

Because you know I have those rhymes.

Edited by Pilot

It's the bulkiness of the thing that makes it undesirable, at least that's how I see it. Sure they can be convenient but really... how many people today go for practicality these days.

• 6 years later...

Our ‘05 Dodge Caravan has been through everything with us, through thick and thin has been the most goddang reliable vehicle we’ve ever owned. It’s also the vehicle I first learned to drive in and passed my driver's license test in....and I’m not even a minivan person but I’m sure gonna miss her when she finally goes. :(

I love mini vans and I don't know any reason why not to. They have lots of room, they're fun to drive and some of them have some serious guts! I've had a Dodge Caravan and a Ford Aerostar. The Dodge was like a rocket; seriously fast and powerful. The Ford was really good and reliable. I liked them both a lot.  

• 9 months later...

They’re just as bad as grandpa cars......

.....but yet I still voted for Dodge Caravan cause they’ve been in my family for years. :laugh: You’ll never see me owning one though.

Edited by Lucky Bolt

Most if the minivans I have seen are old and dilapidated. They seem to be more associated with families or people who are less fortunate. At least, that’s what I have noticed around where I live.

There's a time and a place for them I guess. We had three over the years as leases when I was a kid and they were great for that. We went on a lot of road trips.  After the vans, a couple years before I started high school, my dad bought a 2002 Tahoe. It's a much better built and capable vehicle. It has almost the same room but without sliding doors. Still have the thing 18 years later. You still see a ton of them on the road still- not so for minivans of the same vintage. Minivans are pretty much a bigger car without beefed up mechanicals. They also don't have as good of resale value, which probably causes a lot of them to get junked vs fixed later in their lives.

• 3 months later...

This is such a simple question really but the answer is they are family cars and as such they are usually rather conservative when it comes to a lot of things pretty much a van with extra seats is one way of describing it. 

Yet this statement couldn't be further from the truth, in fact as minivans are marketed towards families they are also marketed towards kids to be fun and dare I say quirky. So a lot of them have excellent functionality and are very versatile. 

• 3 years later...

I think minivans rock in my opinion they are very reliable depending on the brand and model, I drive a 2007 Chevy Uplander LS and it was a beast it took me to harmonycon and back like a champ I must say if you want a type of car that has lots of room for luggage, family or friends then I recommend getting a minivan 

I think minivans rock in my opinion they are very reliable depending on the brand and model, I drive a 2007 Chevy Uplander LS and it was a beast it took me to harmonycon and back like a champ I must say if you want a type of car that has lots of room for luggage, family or friends then I recommend getting a minivan