Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why is MLP a thing?

otqlx

@@otqlx,

The Brony fandom started as a joke on 4chan after the first episode aired people on 4chan thought it would be a bright idea to make memes about it such as "Love and Tolerate" or dark humor memes. After a lot of people complained to moot (the founder of 4chan) about the Bronies Moot then 100% banned Bronies and even saying the word "Brony" or "Pony" was against the rules. This is the reason the Bronies are on almost every website because they had to find new homes to discuss MLP. Some people took this to be serious and they gave the actual show a chance and literally liking it. 

About 1 year later after Moot banned Bronies he then thought that move was out of ignorance and then made a board for it called /mlp/. 

So it is safe to say that Bronies were originally an inside joke from 4chan. But honestly, I love mlp.

• Brohoof 2

To me, I love it because of it's depth. Some people may pre-judge and say MLP is perhaps the most shallow thing ever, probably because of G3 (which was an utter train-wreck)...

MLP is a thing because of what those few people did on that October day. They stepped out of their comfort zone and created something that really...wasn't meant to be. They took the hits. They took the spit. They took everything, because they wanted to show the world that it is better to have an open mind, than a mind filled with judgement and ignorance. 

• Brohoof 1

Because little girls love Ponys and so Bonnie Zacherle came to the idea to create a Pony Toy for said kids and Hasbro liked the idea and started making Pony Toys.

Because it sells. I guess.

But for a real answer:

The show is funny, the show is cute, has even some surprising dark moments and cool fights in it and thats why i like to watch it  :)

• Brohoof 1

Personally, I think it's because the characters are well written. The interactions between them feel natural and because the six of them are so different it's rather easy to find one of them in any given situation to identify with. (In my case, Twilight for being a sarcastic nerd, and Rainbow Dash for being competitive)

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

If you you're not a brony why did you bother make an account?

Non-bronies are allowed to be a part of the conversation here on MLPF. :)

This site has several. 

• Brohoof 5

I first wanted to check it out because the characters looked cute, then I found that there was so much more to the show than aesthetic appeal. As Shrek would say, the characters are like onions because they have many layers. As such, they're incredibly relatable in one way or another which adds to the appeal. Furthermore, in a world that is often plagued with negative energy, MLP provides a nice form of escapism, often bringing some much needed positivity. Irrespective of age or gender, the struggles that the characters face and the lessons that they learn are often relatable and relevant in the real world. This is obviously my perspective, not fact or anything...just how I personally see it for myself. :derp:

Why does My Little Pony have a strong male 20yr old following? What is so special about MLP? It's animations and plot, while better than Sea Princesses (Or worse, Battlefield Earth), is neither in-depth nor that great. Why? I don't hate MLP, just don't understand what's so special about it, OK?

You're asking for an all encompassing answer, which is something that you're not going to get. People have many reasons for enjoying the show (they can enjoy other things as well mind you as not everyone is thinking MLP 24/7). There are some common reasons, but people do enjoy it as just a show - The same reason why people enjoy Power Rangers (going on twenty years strong), the same reason why people like Dr. Who, the same reason why people enjoy the Walking Dead - there's something the show that appeals to their likes and tastes and draws them in. Some people could've easily been taken in by the fact that Lauren Faust was the creator of this show's latest generation, the reason being is that Faust had created a number of other works that the 20 or so people enjoyed when they were much younger - Powerpuff Girls, Foster's Home for Imaginary friends, I think she was a part of the Iron Giant, and learning that she was making more content was enough to draw attention to the show.

Another reason why people may like it is because animated shows now-a-days are more accepted by a more mature audience - in the past, a lot of younger people grew up with simpsons and such, so cartoons were a viable source of entertainment and can still be - Even if it can be for a show as simple as MLP.

Granted, these are only a couple reasons, and they by no means represent the majority of why people enjoy MLP. Like I said, everyone's answer will be different on why they enjoy the show - There is no universal answer on this. People just like what they like.

• Brohoof 1

Twilight is adorable, that's the reason ;) <3 

There is certainly some truth here.

More seriously though, it's a combination of things.  The stories are cute and enjoyable, and the characters are compelling.  I also think that the bright colors and individualized cutie marks lend themselves well to original content.  I am sure that there are quite a few people who enjoy the brony community and fan created content as much as they enjoy the actual show. 

Some of us have natural imaginations, and we like to imaging living in a world like Equestria where you always get to enjoy the company of your amazing friends.  The fact that there is a brony community allows a place to exist where guys can feel like it's okay to enjoy something that is cute and non-violent.  (Though I won't deny enjoying the epic battles we get once in a while)

To get into the show you just need to watch some episodes, and then take a break to check out some of the fan art and fan created content.  Then you might also consider how the content created by the fans then goes on to influence the show itself.  And then let's not forget about the comics, where are aimed nearly exclusively at the brony community and are quite self aware. 

If you'd like a more in-depth or personal conversation about ponies and some of the things that I really enjoy personally, then feel free to send me a PM.  Just the fact that you're here posting this means that you are curious and open-minded, ready to receive new information.  :P

It is something that exists, and also a noun. By being a noun and something that exists, it is inherently a thing.

You're welcome!

I'm sure that it's because some person watched MLP, liked it, and then started posting MLP related things on 4chan. The people on 4chan saw these MLP posts and they were actually decent enough people to give the show a try. They started to like it, and then the brony community started growing more and more. I believe that eventually the brony community will grow more and more until the anti-bronies will be wiped out, or at least become an endangered group of people. If they do get wiped out, it's possible that a few decades later, most if not all of the population will be bronies. I don't know, it could happen. Only on the Hu- oh yea, they're on Discovery Family now.

If you don't get ponies, why are you even on here?

Princess Celestia must have summoned her here for a reason, perhaps a royal duty.  Everypony should show her the upmost support.  ;)

Why is Steven Universe a thing? Why is Gravity Falls a thing? Star Trek, Doctor Who, Regular Show, Adventure Time?

You could ask the same for all those; they're shows that were meant for younger audiences, but attracted attention of older people.

Also,

neither in-depth nor that great
That's 100% subjective. What you see as not that great or in-depth, someone else does. Edited by Celli

• 2 weeks later...