Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would vegetarians/vegans, have an advantage for assimilating to Equestria?

GXPBlast

I became a vegetarian about four months ago for the health benefits and environmental/moral benefits it has compared to eating meat. I have little to no meat cravings surprisingly and I love my new diet.  Furthermore, any nutrients I miss I take in form of a supplement.

But I ask this, if you were offered to go to Equestria but had to remain human, meaning you cant become a pony or be turned into one for this scenario would you diet make it easier to adapt in a world full of ponies? Also do you think having a vegetarian or vegan diet actually might be less intimidating to the ponies and actually help you making relationships with the ponies? Sure the ponies are aware that griffins and some other species that have been around with them for thousands of years eat meat but they are used to it an most griffins live among griffins as with other species.

If you were to live among the ponies as the only human there (basically among all vegetarians) do you think it would be an advantage compared to that of a meat eater?

Despite that some say hay burgers are not digestible, this is true, but there is also many other foods in equestria similar to our own that are vegetarian and vegan.

Also what would the princesses, mane 6 and other ponies think that you dont eat meat like them despite their prier knowledge that many humans eat meat?

Could it be beneficial to your relationships with them? Would you share some of your awesome recipes as well. Fell free to share yours in the thread if you wish

Edited by GXPBlast
  • Brohoof 2

I be Furthermore, any nutrients I miss I take in form of a supplement.

Could it be beneficial to your relationships with them? Would you share some of your awesome recipes as well. Fell free to share yours in the thread if you wish

What nutrients are you missing? A vegetarian eating a proper balanced vegetarian diet should not need supplements. I am a vegan and the only nutrient I really need to look at is B12, which comes from soil bacteria and is washed off of root vegetables these days. (We also don't grow food in real soil these days anymore; I really should set up a garden; seriously)

As per the original point: yes, I feel we would have an advantage, if only when it comes to "what do I eat". Most meat eaters I know have no idea what a vegan eats, many think I live off of just salads or off of "meat substitutes", so I could see how they would be at a loss as to what to eat when they ended up in Equestria.

Also, fish have no souls, Fluttershy seemed quite fine witnessing their demise. XD

They.... died of old age? (Fluttershy would never kill an animal, right?! Right? :) )

What nutrients are you missing? A vegetarian eating a proper balanced vegetarian diet should not need supplements.

A lot of vegans take vitamin B12 supplements though, do they not? Protein (or simply just getting enough calories) can also be an issue, especially if you work out.

Edited by Ferg

A lot of vegans take vitamin B12 supplements though, do they not? Protein (or simply just getting enough calories) can also be an issue, especially if you work out.

Yes, but they add b12 to a lot of food, such as plant milks and Nutritional Yeast (which is the most awesome stuff on earth, despite it's name). As far as protein, it is very very easy to get a lot of every amino acid, I don't know where the protein concern came from, possibly from those that went veg and only ate salads? Eating an assortment of grains, beans, legumes (and the odd block of tofu or seitan once a week) plus the veg and fruit etc I easily hit above 100 grams of protein a day (which is actually too much). There are vegan body builders, so if one is smart there is no issue afaik.

The saying is; if you are getting enough calories eating a varied vegan diet, you are getting enough protein. It's in every whole food. It's funny all of the old ideas about veg diets, many people think that protein is only found in meat, and have no idea what it is or what it is made of. Oh well....

They.... died of old age? (Fluttershy would never kill an animal, right?! Right? :) )

I'm sure Fluttershy convinced them to matyr themselves for the greater good.... that said. Fluttershy seems quite okay with blood and death as long as it is apart of cycle of nature... and not dragon related. XD

Yes, but they add b12 to a lot of food, such as plant milks and Nutritional Yeast (which is the most awesome stuff on earth, despite it's name). As far as protein, it is very very easy to get a lot of every amino acid, I don't know where the protein concern came from, possibly from those that went veg and only ate salads? Eating an assortment of grains, beans, legumes (and the odd block of tofu or seitan once a week) plus the veg and fruit etc I easily hit above 100 grams of protein a day (which is actually too much). There are vegan body builders, so if one is smart there is no issue afaik.

The saying is; if you are getting enough calories eating a varied vegan diet, you are getting enough protein. It's in every whole food. It's funny all of the old ideas about veg diets, many people think that protein is only found in meat, and have no idea what it is or what it is made of. Oh well....

Certainly, if you're dedicated enough. The thing is that you'll have to eat a lot more than usual, which is a problem for a lot of people. I personally believe that vegans who go back to a basic diet because they got weak and deficient in nutrients, 99% of the time it was because they didn't eat enough, since they don't take into account the fact that the majority of plant based foods are a lot less nutritionally dense than animal products.

What nutrients are you missing? A vegetarian eating a proper balanced vegetarian diet should not need supplements. I am a vegan and the only nutrient I really need to look at is B12, which comes from soil bacteria and is washed off of root vegetables these days. (We also don't grow food in real soil these days anymore; I really should set up a garden; seriously) :) )

Usually a multiviteman or iron supplement. As I get fuller faster than when I used to eat meat and am still eating similar foods weekly. New to vegetarianism and I plan to add more variety to my diet to get vitemans. naturally. Some of my new favorite thing to do is making smoothies and eating leafy greens like kale.

Partly, since it is mostly ponies it would likely be much more difficult to find meat but there are also some carnivorous sapient species in Equestria and in neighboring countries such as griffons for example and most likely dragons as well. And there are some ponies who have pets that are carnivorous species as pets such as Applejack who has a dog and Rarity who has a cat. I suspect that there would ponies that may be sympathetic to the nutritional needs of an omnivorous species such as humans once they get over the "what the hell is that?" questions that will inevitably come up.

Certainly, if you're dedicated enough. The thing is that you'll have to eat a lot more than usual, which is a problem for a lot of people. I personally believe that vegans who go back to a basic diet because they got weak and deficient in nutrients, 99% of the time it was because they didn't eat enough, since they don't take into account the fact that the majority of plant based foods are a lot less nutritionally dense than animal products.

True, it is possible to compensate for that with vegetarian and even vegan diets but a lot more difficult due to the fact that most vegetable proteins are incomplete proteins meaning they don't have ALL the necessary amino acids meaning that most people go into these diets not eating the right combinations of amino acids which is something meat eaters just don't have to think about as much since most meats are complete proteins. There is also what kinds of proteins, how much and how many calories and fats in general. It is possible but I personally think it is a lot more trouble than it is worth but more power to people who are able to pull it off successfully.

The larger problem with a human trying to be a vegan in Equestria is that the diet is less varied, especially outside of the growing season when I would figure most ponies are eating mostly hay.  Wintertime or early spring as a human might be a real issue.  Supermarkets and global supply chains give us foods out of season that they do not have and we didn't have just a couple of centuries ago.

That is part of the "vegans eat salad veggies only" stereotype that I brought up. A proper vegan diet is built on top of beans, legumes, grains, not greens and carrots. It does not take me any effort nor do I have to eat a lot to get proper nutrition, but it did take awhile to find the foods that satiate me as I was completely new to it in the beginning.

True, it is possible to compensate for that with vegetarian and even vegan diets but a lot more difficult due to the fact that most vegetable proteins are incomplete proteins meaning they don't have ALL the necessary amino acids meaning that most people go into these diets not eating the right combinations of amino acids which is something meat eaters just don't have to think about as much since most meats are complete proteins. There is also what kinds of proteins, how much and how many calories and fats in general. It is possible but I personally think it is a lot more trouble than it is worth but more power to people who are able to pull it off successfully.

Factually inaccurate: Every living cell on earth has all 20 amino acids. The limiting amino acid is what I think you are thinking of. All that means is that that particular amino acid is lower in ratio as compared to EGG WHITE. Even beef has a limiting amino acid (because it is not made of egg). Also, the myth about having to "protein combine" is a myth. As long as you get enough of each of the essential amino acids in a day, your body can make all the proteins it will need to. This is more easy to do than one might think. In other words, regardless if you are a meat eater or a vegan, if you eat whole foods, and a variety of foods and enough calories, you are getting enough of each amino acid, hoofs down. (You can get ALL of your amino acids for an entire day by eating 8 potatoes, even though they have a limiting amino acid, after 7-8 potatoes you will have gotten enough of that amino acid (and about 2x the amount of the others)

EDIT: I am not suggesting that people start eating 8 potatoes in a day, I like potatoes but not that much. I was just saying that to bring up a point.

Edited by Sapphire Lightning

That is part of the "vegans eat salad veggies only" stereotype that I brought up. A proper vegan diet is built on top of beans, legumes, grains, not greens and carrots. It does not take me any effort nor do I have to eat a lot to get proper nutrition, but it did take awhile to find the foods that satiate me as I was completely new to it in the beginning.

Factually inaccurate: Every living cell on earth has all 20 amino acids. The limiting amino acid is what I think you are thinking of. All that means is that that particular amino acid is lower in ratio as compared to EGG WHITE. Even beef has a limiting amino acid (because it is not made of egg). Also, the myth about having to "protein combine" is a myth. As long as you get enough of each of the essential amino acids in a day, your body can make all the proteins it will need to. This is more easy to do than one might think. In other words, regardless if you are a meat eater or a vegan, if you eat whole foods, and a variety of foods and enough calories, you are getting enough of each amino acid, hoofs down. (You can get ALL of your amino acids for an entire day by eating 8 potatoes, even though they have a limiting amino acid, after 7-8 potatoes you will have gotten enough of that amino acid (and about 2x the amount of the others)

EDIT: I am not suggesting that people start eating 8 potatoes in a day, I like potatoes but not that much. I was just saying that to bring up a point.

You make very good points addressing vegitarian myths. Regarding potatos I have tried potatos that are purple in color and are delicious packed with nutrients.

Well first of all the ponies are vegetarians not vegan let's just get that straight.

And also the ponies would just recognize us as a different species like they do with other animals. Us eating meat wouldn't make them think less of us. Ponies are not moral vegetarians. 

Why do people think that ponies are vegetarian? Just because you have not seen then eat meat, it doesn't mean they don't. There are animals in equestria. Just hunt them. Come on, be realistic. So, no, being a vegetarian would not give you an edge in equestria.

Edited by DANUTERCISD

Why do people think that ponies are vegetarian? Just because you have not seen then eat meat, it doesn't mean they don't. There are animals in equestria. Just hunt them. Come on, be realistic. So, no, being a vegetarian would not give you an edge in equestria.

I think it was from that one song that pinkie said that they were strictly vegetarian when talking to the buffalo.  Of course Pinkie led a pretty sheltered life.  If any pony race occasional ate fish or meat it would likely be pegasi.

You know, it's weird being a vegetarian who didn't choose to be vegetarian. I have food aversions to most foods, which means I physically gag if I try to eat a food I don't like. I don't like meat, seafood, most vegetables, all fruit except apples, some dairy products, and plenty of other hard to categorize things. Really the only thing keeping me from being a vegan is cheese and milk (which I'm never giving up)! Anyway, I think that it wouldn't really matter what your food preference was, Twilight would probably study you forever.

Edited by LHfunk

who says you HAVE to be a vegetarian to live in equestria? the bear eats fish and there are all kinds of carnivorous animals there, we have canines in our mouth for a reason

(edited)

who says you HAVE to be a vegetarian to live in equestria? the bear eats fish and there are all kinds of carnivorous animals there, we have canines in our mouth for a reason

Nobody is saying you have to become a vegetarian/vegan, this thread is for those who are already have a diet very similar to those of ponies in Equestria and how they would be viewed as a new sapient species in Equestrian living among all ponies and compared to meat eaters would they be able to adapt more to an Equestrian diet without cravings that many meat eaters would have.

Edited by GXPBlast
  • Brohoof 1

I agree with him. We are meant for meat, and fruit, WE ARE OMNIVORES. Bears are not carnivores. They are Omnivores too

• Brohoof 1

I agree with him. We are meant for meat, and fruit, WE ARE OMNIVORES. Bears are not carnivores. They are Omnivores too

although i don't eat as much meat as i used to because it has gotten to expensive LOL I still love meat though , being omnivores is a survival advantage because you can eat pretty much anything

i think humans would have a rough time during the winter in equestria considering the ponies seem to eat a lot of grass and hay in tandem with fruits and vegitables and humans can't live on grass, or even rabbit for that matter, look it up, there are seriously people who got into a survival situation and all they had to eat was rabbit, but rabbit has no vitamins and minerals so there have been people that litterally starve to death with a stomach full of rabbit, you gotta eat stuff besides meat to make it a rounded diet

Edited by simba86