Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology Oculus Rift price point unveiled

Megas

Nope, this was one of those devices I needed as an avid Flight Sim and Space simmer, but at this price I will stick with TrackIR and wait for Valve to release their pricing on SteamVR. I was fine with $400, but anything more and you are just shooting yourself in the foot and alienating your targeted consumers who already have to pay considerable prices for payware software.

I hate to say it, but I just have to pass until the price drops, SteamVR or another has a reasonable price, or until I come into a great deal of money(And I mean a great deal, because $600 cannot be taken lightly). Hell I could buy a HOTAS Warthog and still have money to spare. :unamused:

Edited by Commissar Twilight
  • Brohoof 2

Yeah... no. Gonna pass on that one for safety reasons. As great as it is, they need to consider the health risks like vertigo, headaches, nausea and such. And yes, I'm aware that they have those kinds of warnings and that it has potential, but health-wise, I wouldn't recommend it for people who intend on using it for lengthy hours.

Wait people still make VR stuff? I assumed everyone stops after the failure of fhe Virtual Boy, plus how easy it is to get a headache from it.

Virtual boy was a totally different thing, vr in the slightest sense given the technology and games available. The technology and games today that work with head tracking are just perfect for this. Despite the popularity in media it is still niche and that confounds me why they are so focused on the mainstream, can't really see this being too common outside of sims and immersion focused games, even less so with this price.

Edited by Commissar Twilight
  • Brohoof 2

You can buy an Xbox one and a Wii U together for this price. What a deal! $600 for a device that you need a pretty decent PC in order to run at its fullest anyways! Awesome! : D Honestly, I really don't see a point now. This is purely a luxury curiosity for the time being, but I can guarantee the big Let's Players are gonna advertise the hell out of it even more regardless. 

I never saw the appeal in this thing in the first place, I mean, it just seems like the next gimmick after 3d.

But the fact that this costs as much as the PS3 at launch, and is just a peripheral, you connect it to other things, is ridiculous.

lol 599 US dollars... which currently in CAD is ~$850. Add the HST, $971 and then the shipping fees and customs, easily over $1000.

Yep. I'm out. For that price, I could buy a whole new PC or laptop. Also, it's just a peripheral, and a gimmicky one at that which only works with applications developed specifically for it using its SDK. The product's success as new technology hinges on adoption, especially with Sony and Microsoft entering the battle. You need users to make developing for this specific peripheral worthwhile and this is a pretty massive barrier for entry.

Edited by Celtore

I was planning on getting one for flight sims, and just for the novelty of having one, but wow I was assuming it would be around $250 - $300 like the dev kits.  No way am I paying $600 for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPDP6l4weLc

Even though I like the idea of VR and I have the PC to at least run it, I don't really care to have it. As mentioned previously I do see it as a luxury device for those who have a fairly substantial PC to fully utilize it and have that kind of money just lying around.

Also, Hitler should try the Steam controller, he'd probably like it.

Oculus Rift is £500 here which seems very overpriced. It costs even more than what the PS3 did at launch and Sony was loosing a lot of money on that, either this has some brand new technology in it or it's very overpriced. I just hope that the Playstation VR doesn't cost this much.

I don't have a PC that's capable to use this Oculus Rift and even if i did this price is just too much.

• 1 month later...

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/02/reports-799-steamvr-powered-htc-vive-to-start-shipping-april-1/

With that price point of Steam's VR being at 799$, suddenly that 599$ of Occulus Rift's doesn't look too bad. What do you guys think?

Both are expensive, if I can afford $600 I probably would make the jump to the Vive anyway. Excluding the controllers(Ergonomics, not quality) that come with the Vive it seems to be a more quality device. Would get it in a heartbeat(Vive or OR) if I had the money to spare.

• Brohoof 2

Both are expensive, if I can afford $600 I probably would make the jump to the Vive anyway. Excluding the controllers(Ergonomics, not quality) that come with the Vive it seems to be a more quality device. Would get it in a heartbeat(Vive or OR) if I had the money to spare.

I'm in the boat of 'which device is considered the best' as if I'm going to spend that amount of money on something, I want it to be the best one available.

Thus it can be the SteamVr which does include the controllers in it's price, or Occulus Rift that is without the touchscreen controller that is expected to launch in the 2nd half of this year.

Edited by Nuke87654
  • Brohoof 2

I'm in the boat of 'which device is considered the best' as if I'm going to spend that amount of money on something, I want it to be the best one available.

Thus it can be the SteamVr which does include the controllers in it's price, or Occulus Rift that is without the touchscreen controller that is expected to launch in the 2nd half of this year.

Indeed, if we are already paying for a premium product I will most certainly make sure it is in the higher quality if not the best product. Unless of course the price difference is way too much, but $200 is close enough in my opinion. It is killing me how expensive it is though, I would love this so much as it would make some of my gaming experiences(Flight sims, Space Sims, etc) and really improve immersion in my games(I am an immersionaholic). TrackIR doesn't cut it anymore after seeing VR lol.

• Brohoof 2

Indeed, if we are already paying for a premium product I will most certainly make sure it is in the higher quality if not the best product. Unless of course the price difference is way too much, but $200 is close enough in my opinion. It is killing me how expensive it is though, I would love this so much as it would make some of my gaming experiences(Flight sims, Space Sims, etc) and really improve immersion in my games(I am an immersionaholic). TrackIR doesn't cut it anymore after seeing VR lol.

To make matters worse, you need around a GTX 970 or a Radeon R9 390 in order to get the best out of your VR set so you need an already powerful computer just to pull it off. My comp that I built two years ago is considered only adequate enough with a GTX 780 and the steamvr check says to get a new graphics card!

I honestly believe that only enthusiasts would get the sets this year as others will wait till prices and tech reaches a more acceptable level to jump into.

Edited by Nuke87654
  • Brohoof 2

To make matters worse, you need around a GTX 970 or a Radeon R9 390 in order to get the best out of your VR set so you need an already powerful computer just to pull it off. My comp that I built two years ago is considered only adequate enough with a GTX 780 and the steamvr check says to get a new graphics card!

I honestly believe that only enthusiasts would get the sets this year as others will wait till prices and tech reaches a more acceptable level to jump into.

Hopefully they do drop, let the competition start to get a feel for what they need to do and drop the price point. I may get one this year who knows, gonna start working again for the semester and I may set something aside to at least get me started there. What threw me off was the initial around $300 price point, I didn't think much of it at the time as it wasn't a considerable amount and I already had the money set aside for both upgrading my PC and getting a VR set. After hearing about that price I just spent all of it on upgrading lol, I couldn't afford both and I was under the requirements then.

• Brohoof 2