Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Anyone sometimes watch VHS over DVD?

SUPERFOX5

Don't worry, I still love disc media full force.

VHS seems to have that nostalgic feel to it, from the fuzzy picture to the distorted audio.

Watching something on VHS makes it feel special.

Does anyone agree with me on this subject? Or no?

EDIT: Edited the title so it is not so focused on people sticking with the inferior format of video

Edited by SUPERFOX5
  • Brohoof 4

I love watching VHS sometimes - like you said that nostalgic quality of the blurry video, seeing tracking, the sounds.

Plus there's old shows that I taped, movies not released to DVD and the like that can be dragged out of the vault from time to time.

Another bonus is that you can grow a large movie library cheaply and quickly with VHS. You can go to a lot of thrift stores and get VHS tapes for .50 or a quarter! I stockpiled Disney classics for my daughter this way, because most of them are vaulted at the moment.

Plus going through VHS stacks at thrift stores are great for, as I said, the rare finds never released to discs, or even ones that you can sell on ebay if you're a thrift flipper like me.

• Brohoof 2

i grew up on VHS and all the cassettes back in the 1990'S LOL but dvds are WAY better! you don't have to sit and wait for the cassette to rewind, the dvd player does not screw up and eat the tape and then you get a huge tangled mess of tape, the picture and audio is better and you don't get the fuzzy picture and distorted sound, you don't have to clean and demagnetize the read heads.

• Brohoof 1

Nope, that would require hooking a VHR up. I grew up with them, but there's really nothing that amazing about them. I threw away most of my tapes, actually. lol

Edited by Envy

Not really.  Dvd's and Blu Rays are able to not only carry much more content and be easier to transport than VHS, they also have much much better video quality that makes me want to use them instead.

I have recently become a VHSadict. I go to Goodwill and look for movies. I've found some really good ones, like Johnny Carson, and a Clint Eastwood film. I have also been watching old cartoons, that my mother recored for me when I was a kid.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Thank you for the replies.

I don't really want to see a comeback to VHS or anything, I just wanted to see if anyone had nostalgia for it.

DVD and Blu ray are pretty much the go-to for video format, VHS is just something I like to watch like once or twice a year.

Yes, VHS is bad when it comes to scanlines and whatnot, but you have to admire, that back then, it was a way to watch anything from TV or the theater when DVD was not a thing yet.

LaserDisc and Beta on the other hand though...

Edited by SUPERFOX5

VHS. Well I do actually collect them as well as collecting DVDs. That 240p resolution makes me more Nostalgic.

During my Childhood, I has a LG VHS Player but my family got rid of it in 2006. However we got a 1996 Sanyo model in 2012 or 2013. But I only began collecting VHS tapes last year. I would walk to my local Thrift Store and they cost 50 cents a tape (35 cents US)

I'll take photos of my VHS collection later.

post-33728-0-96529600-1453194996_thumb.jpg

post-33728-0-08953800-1453195012_thumb.jpg

post-33728-0-07081800-1453195028_thumb.jpg

Edited by superdogz1999

Not too long ago I've acquired a functioning VCR from my grandma's house.  I still have a lot of tapes with various old cartoons and television recorded on them and it feels good to be able to check them out again.  All the 90s commercials are a real blast to watch,  and I even found half an episode of "My Little Pony Tales" on one of the tapes.

They're like little pieces of television history.

Edited by TheFunk

I still have a lot of VHS"s from when I was little that I'm sure some of them aren't out on dvd. Lately I've been thinking about watching some of them because it's been so long. Anyone remember the Golden Books on VHS, like the Pokey Little Puppy or the Saggy Baggy Elephant?

Edited by Captain Doubloon

I know people do watch VHS tapes, but I don't understand why? Then again, I have seen a Hasting's video, games and book store. selling vinyl record turntables. What else boggles me is that if someone were to choose VHS over clear and high def DVDs... As to what people prefer to watch. Part of the reason I think the VHS died out was not just cause they were obsolite. I say it was cause people got them but maybe forgot or just didn't care to rewind. Leaving the next renter to first rewind then watch the movie.

You could see how that might be confusing? VHS were  poor quality and they had to be rewind and sometimes had bits where static like snow fell over the video. Also known as "Tracking". It was often annoying now that I think of it. My sisters watch VHS films once I came in the room and they were watching The Count of Monte Cristo. The tape was of course old so it had the static poor quality snow covering the video. I'm sure you could get the same film on Blu Ray Disc and the film would play through clear and clean with no static or snow storms and annoying Tracking.

Nowadays I prefer renting Blu Ray movies because even DVDs can act up when they're older. early 90's films released on DVD can have horrible scratching resulting in scenes stalling and skipping. To the film just freezing cutting next a whole scene. 

As I type I am watching Twister on VHS. Before that Highlander. Before that The Crow. Yes, you get the nostalgia feel, the qulaity, the graininess, the tracking. But it's also a glimpse back in time to when the movie came out. For films that came out beofre DVD, you get to see previews for all the films coming out to theaters and coming out to VHS around the time. A moment in time, captured. That and sometimes you get after credits stuff that you can just let come to you, rather than hit up special features. Also, VHS is more sturdier than DVD, and Blue-ray is too expensive. Then again I don't buy many movies these days. Last one I bought was Fight Club. But honestly, yes I do prefer VHS. Just pop the vid in, sit back and let the reels role. 

Oh allow me to introduce you to my friend, good guy vhs

good-guy-vhs_o_330963.jpg

• Brohoof 3

I don't watch VHS unless I don't have a choice. Sure I grew up with them, but I'm not exactly filled with nostalgia. I just remember how annoying those things could be, and other forms of media have such a higher picture quality.

When I first started getting into Harry Potter, the only movie we had in the series was the Sorcerer's Stone on VHS. I would watch it so much, and I loved the fuzzy picture and the audio. It was like my childhood haf come back. VHS will always be better.