Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why does Spike stay with Twilight?

Mesme Rize

I never thought of Spike as Twilight's slave. They've been together since he was an egg. Their bond is a nice cross between mother/child and older/younger sibling. Why would he leave? He obviously takes great pride in being his beloved best friend's Number One Assistant.

• Brohoof 3

...really

The spike is a slave people are some of the worst, he is an assistant at the library, imma go down to my school secretary and call her a slave....because that makes sense

Twilight is basically his mother, I mean,when he thought twilight no longer loved him, he fell into a sort of deep depression

• Brohoof 4

I think I'll just leave these here: 

post-31053-0-26573300-1453522566.gif

post-31053-0-55258500-1453522611.gif

Spike stays with Twilight because she fulfills his hierarchy of needs. Because he'd be lost without her. Because she gives him the love and sense of belonging that he longs for. Because being useful to her is the only thing he desires from his life, and no one can take that away from him. 

Because being useful to her is the only thing he desires from his life, and no one can take that away from him.

Unless somepony tries to woo Twilight and they end up apart.

Which is unlikely because I don't think Twilight would ever do that to him.

Which is another reason why I think Twilight will always be single. She'll insist anypony wanting to be her special somepony will have to take on Spike as well. Are there many suitors of royalty that would be willing to take on a young dragon as "part of the family?" Probably not...

Spike isn't a slave, Twilight is not only his mother so-to-speak, but she is also his best friend and vice-versa. They seem to work together and they have no apparent grievances with doing so. I feel like this is a very odd assumption that Spike is some sort of pony slave.

First off Spike's not Twilight's slave. He's her friend and assistant. And well he's also a baby. He's not ready to be on his own yet. He needs somepony to take care of him.

Edited by Asbel Lhant

I think that twilight and spike, consider each other as close family. I believe they love each other on such a high level that they would both go to the depths of Tartarus and back to save one another. So I found it silly that people actually think spike is a slave for twilight, that kind of sounds like something 4chan would come up with but for a different, more perverse reason.

I don't know I'm probably just overthinking things  :lol:

Edited by Fl@mstre@k1990

Unless somepony tries to woo Twilight and they end up apart.

Which is unlikely because I don't think Twilight would ever do that to him.

Which is another reason why I think Twilight will always be single. She'll insist anypony wanting to be her special somepony will have to take on Spike as well. Are there many suitors of royalty that would be willing to take on a young dragon as "part of the family?" Probably not...

Wait a minute. A stallion wouldn't want to marry royalty because the princess he loves has a personal assistant? In real life, members of royal, and of rich families, pretty much ALL have personal assistants. It doesn't stop them from getting married.

Spike is growing up. In the new castle, he now has his own bedroom with a bed. He no longer sleeps in his comfy basket in Twilight's room. Twilight's future husband would have nothing to worry about. Besides, Spike has his heart set on a certain fashionista. He wouldn't be jealous of Twilight having a special somepony.  

Wait a minute. A stallion wouldn't want to marry royalty because the princess he loves has a personal assistant? In real life, members of royal, and of rich families, pretty much ALL have personal assistants. It doesn't stop them from getting married.

Spike is growing up. In the new castle, he now has his own bedroom with a bed. He no longer sleeps in his comfy basket in Twilight's room. Twilight's future husband would have nothing to worry about. Besides, Spike has his heart set on a certain fashionista. He wouldn't be jealous of Twilight having a special somepony.  

I guess when I think of Spike and Twilight I think of them as more like family than servant and employer, So while Spike is happy in that assistant role, he's always hanging around her - much more than a normal assistant would. Like @@Cleverclover said, he'd be lost without her. So another pony being thrown into the mix is more like a boyfriend trying to date a single mom with a kid, it's a little more complicated, although it can work out if the kid isn't particularly clingy. (Jury's still out on that account with Spike. :)​)

But I agree with you Spike is growing up; indeed he recognizes the fact that sometimes ponies needs some "alone time" since he himself has required it in his quest to woo Rarity. But unless the timing is just right - namely, Spike finds somepony who loves him at about the same time Twilight finds love, there's going to be some conflict and maybe hurt feelings.

It's interesting because just a day or so ago I wrote a comment on a Spike fanfic that Twilight and Spike are actually more like soulmates, perhaps bound together by the magic in how she hatched him? Only they're soulmates in a platonic way. I feel like not only would he be lost without her, but she'd be just as lost without him. I guess if being her servant was the only way he'd get to be near to her (assuming he doesn't find anypony who loves him back) I suppose he would reluctantly accept that role and try to allow Twilight having someone else in her life.

Edited by Truffles

I always liked the headcanon of Twilight taking over for Celestia one day, becoming a wise and ancient ruler, with an adult Spike (that looks and sounds like Smaug) ever at her side as a friend, a guardian, and even offering council when needed.  I imagine him as being her right hoof, so to speak, like a first officer.  She could even call him Number One.  She's called Spike her Number One Assistant many a time.  Yup, when she's ruler of Equestria, she should just call him Number One.  When she leaves Canterlot on official business, she could leave Spike in charge and say, "Number One, you have the throne room."

• Brohoof 2

Because the two of them really care about each other as family as Twilight has a sort of older sister/mother combination realationship with Spike.

And that he feels either lost without her or that he just really really cares about Twilight and he stays with her because of it.

Also he is able to keep Twilight in check whenever she goes off the deep end and be a voice of reason to her.

They're family. Family doesn't have to have a specific title as mother/son or brother/sister. They grew up together and love each other and even if sometimes it seems like Twilight takes advantage of him (referring to the "slave" comments), family can take advantage of each other sometimes. Siblings and even parents tease and antagonize too. It's the only the ones closest to you that you'd tolerate that from. They clearly love each other and maybe he'll move on some day but I don't see it happening soon. I don't think either of them has any desire for it either. Spike got it out of his system and Twilight has never implied she wanted him to leave. In fact, she promised him his fear of her not loving him would never come to pass. He'll always have a place with her as long as he wants it, and he clearly does since losing her is his biggest fear.

Edited by Aurora Storm
  • Brohoof 2